Poll: What do you think about the case?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Arainie View Post
    So you actually think it's reasonable to take a million dollar from a school that educates hundreds or thousands of students in order to compensate one student who was treated wrong? The newsflash here is that cutbacks at a school will affect everyone attending the school, it won't just be a red figure in their budget. They'll need to make budget cuts, fire staff, stuff more students in each class etc.
    I'm not questioning that she got compensation, I'm questioning that people want the school to compensate her with even more money.
    Arainie, this logic of yours is just... stupid. That's like saying its unreasonable to sue me because I killed your husband because hes not going to come back and any money you get from me could have just been spent on my kids. So really, you are taking money away from my children who are innocent!

Innocent people are always hurt in every law suit. If the school is actually at fault, it is because they failed to do what they were suppose to due or because they are vicariously liable for the negligence of its employees.

The question is whether or not the school actually did breach its standard of care. I would warrant to bet it did not despite what the media says. The media has a bias to make the story sensationalized. Making the school's behavior appear reprehensible is its job. It is likely not reality.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2013-03-25 at 11:47 AM.

Deleted
    So you actually think it's reasonable to take a million dollar from a school that educates hundreds or thousands of students in order to compensate one student who was treated wrong? The newsflash here is that cutbacks at a school will affect everyone attending the school, it won't just be a red figure in their budget. They'll need to make budget cuts, fire staff, stuff more students in each class etc.
    I'm not questioning that she got compensation, I'm questioning that people want the school to compensate her with even more money.
    Treated wrong? More like, treated with malice.

That's terrible, 185.000 is insulting, she should get ten times that.

Deleted
    Don't think you can even get money if you sued someone for that in Denmark... fucking US and their "Sue everyone for everything and get rich".

Quote Originally Posted by This Guy View Post
    Don't think you can even get money if you sued someone for that in Denmark... fucking US and their "Sue everyone for everything and get rich".
    This is the topic you chose to come up with that bullshit argument?

100k for getting raped TWO times? She should have gotten more clearly. At least a million.

And the school is absoluetly at fault. If they had any humanity they should not be sleeping well untill the end of their lives, because they ruined the life of a little girl.

---------- Post added 2013-03-25 at 09:00 AM ----------

Yeah, fucking system that makes people and entities responsible for their own acts...

Better have a system where someones stupidity and incompetence allows a girl to be raped twice and you cant do anything about it, right?

Makes total sense.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KunkkaTheAdmiral View Post
    Over here the schools don't have that much money at all, if they would have to pay around 200k euros they had to close.
    If a school fail this much in protecting its students (more than failing here, if this really happened as reported, school is also aggressor in this case), closing it seems fit. Or at least, fire / replace everyone that has any close link to these unbelievable decisions.

Well, some of the staff NEEDS to be fired (those that receive the complaint and force the girl to write an apology).
    The school needs to take reponsability for what happens within their stablishment, and that means pay for their mistakes. That will make the school better in the future, even if they get less money.

I would prefer a poorer school where the staff listen to their students and take care of them over a richer school that ignores complaints and leave rapists unpunished any day of the year to be honest.

Deleted
    Over here the rapist would've gotten 3 months parole with 2000 euros fine.

So uh. I dont know how to compare to. 185k seems quite large in comparison.

Edit: Still horrible lifelong trauma. Guess she should've gotten bit more justice..not sure is it money or what but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceleaf View Post
    Over here the rapist would've gotten 3 months parole with 2000 euros fine.

So uh. I dont know how to compare to. 185k seems quite large in comparison.

Edit: Still horrible lifelong trauma. Guess she should've gotten bit more justice..not sure is it money or what but still.
    Well, yes the rapist should be punished and all but what's at issue here is the school and its reckless mandate that made these things possible. Everyone closely related to the issue, people who forced the girl to write a letter of apology...amongst others, should be fired, fined and barred from doing any educational work ever again. School should pay through the nose, way more than 185k, and this isn't a small, poor school either so no they need to be stung harder than this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    Well, yes the rapist should be punished and all but what's at issue here is the school and its reckless mandate that made these things possible. Everyone closely related to the issue, people who forced the girl to write a letter of apology...amongst others, should be fired, fined and barred from doing any educational work ever again. School should pay through the nose, way more than 185k, and this isn't a small, poor school either so no they need to be stung harder than this.
    Must've been early morning doing tricks with me then.
    I thought HE wrote the letter and had to "deliver it personally". Maybe my brain wanted to change that disgusting thing to something that should've been done.

Ok yeah, 120k (plus attorney) seems bit low when looking at all of those things. Still bit sad comparing this and cases over here.. :/

Lets not forget that the school made the girl lose a year of education thanks for their stupid staff, besides allowing a second rape.

All those things make the cmpensation bigger. The school should be thanking that they ONLY had to pay that.

I'm with the girl, but I don't think any amount of money will be enough as compensation for what she went through. But, at the very least all of her legal fees should be covered.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are everyone concerned about the amount of money? Getting more money wouldn't have solved anything at all. The crime wouldn't have gone away, and the girl's traumatic experience won't seem less bad just because she gets more money out of it. The rapist got caught, and the school will likely be forced to take a hard look at their policies. Exactly what should've come out of the justice system did. The money she received probably covers anything she'll need, like therapy and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashdummy View Post
    Better have a system where someones stupidity and incompetence allows a girl to be raped twice and you cant do anything about it, right?

Makes total sense.
    Yeah, because the only two systems you can have is either to sue for anything and everything or to let crimes happened, right? Way to think outside the box there. Obviously the poster you quoted didn't mean for the rapist to get away and the school to keep acting like it did, he/she just meant that throwing a lawsuit at anything that offends you doesn't solve everything. And I'm not trying to imply that I myself think that americans file lawsuits left and right.

Personally I don't see much point in lawsuits, but I'm not too familiar with how they work. (Why not just directly involve the police and let them investigate a possible crime and have the person/organisation face charges that way?:s) I may just be very uninformed about that topic.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

In addition to having all of her legal fees covered, perhaps she should have received free college (of her choosing), a public & personal apology from the school and really investigate & resolve the problem in this school's management.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Read this quite a few months ago, if i recall correctly after the first rape she reported it to the school and her mother called the school and she ended up getting suspended because of it. If she indeed did report it and it happened a second time the school is completely to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    Arainie, this logic of yours is just... stupid. That's like saying its unreasonable to sue me because I killed your husband because hes not going to come back and any money you get from me could have just been spent on my kids. So really, you are taking money away from my children who are innocent!

Innocent people are always hurt in every law suit. If the school is actually at fault, it is because they failed to do what they were suppose to due or because they are vicariously liable for the negligence of its employees.

The question is whether or not the school actually did breach its standard of care. I would warrant to bet it did not despite what the media says. The media has a bias to make the story sensationalized. Making the school's behavior appear reprehensible is its job. It is likely not reality.
    This is the problem (one of many) with USA. Everyone thinks a lawsuit is the way to go, just give me a huge chunk of money and all problems magically disappear. It really isn't, and you're pretty much the only country on earth that actually prefers to take this route. "In America, you can sue pretty much anyone for pretty much anything and most likely get away with it."
    Sueing a public school for a fortune is idiocy, nothing else. I think the settlement she got in terms of money was more than fair from her point of view. In Europe (I live in Sweden for example) she would have received a much, much lower compensation and instead have been helped with therapy and recovery. The school had instead been dealt with to make sure such a thing never occurs again.

Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    Yeah, because the only two systems you can have is either to sue for anything and everything or to let crimes happened, right? Way to think outside the box there. Obviously the poster you quoted didn't mean for the rapist to get away and the school to keep acting like it did, he/she just meant that throwing a lawsuit at anything that offends you doesn't solve everything. And I'm not trying to imply that I myself think that americans file lawsuits left and right.

Personally I don't see much point in lawsuits, but I'm not too familiar with how they work. (Why not just directly involve the police and let them investigate a possible crime and have the person/organisation face charges that way?:s) I may just be very uninformed about that topic.
    There are two types of legal responsibility or culpability: civil, and criminal.

If you're investigated on criminal charges, that's the area of the police and the district attorneys. If you're found guilty on criminal charges, that means you're getting imprisoned (or paroled, or community service, or fines, whatever the actual punishment turns out to be.) The investigation is handled by the appropriate police force, and charges are brought and argued by the district attorney's office (or a similar office).

For civil charges and lawsuits, the suit is filed by a private individual or organization. Unlike criminal charges (where the ultimate goal is punishment of the person who violated the law), civil lawsuits have the ultimate goal of getting compensation for damages.

So in this case, it's likely that there will be a criminal investigation, and if the school or its officials failed to uphold their legal duties, they will likely be convicted on those charges and serve the appropriate punishment. The lawsuit is unrelated, and instead seeks restitution from the school for the damages suffered as a result of their actions.

Also of note, you can be found not guilty in one realm, but guilty in the other. Specifically, a higher standard is required in criminal court, so evidence that is sufficient to prove your case in civil court (and thus win a lawsuit) is not always sufficient to prove your case in criminal court (and thus get the defendant imprisoned). The idea here is that while a guilty verdict in either case will lead to penalties for the defendant, a guilty verdict in a civil case is generally less severe than one in a criminal case (because loss of money is considered less severe than a loss of freedom, in a very broad sense), so it's harder to get a guilty verdict in criminal court.

Also, while criminal cases will typically try to restore any stolen or lost property to the original owner at the conclusion of the trial, there is no restitution or compensation made in such cases. That's usually the province of lawsuits, and one of the reasons they happen as frequently as they do.

15+ Year Old Account
    Uhm... yes, you do. But the amounts compared to other crimes are still quite messed up. However its not a matter of suing people here, but the victim getting compensation when filing charges against the school for negligence.

Seems to be plenty ignorant posts who doesn´t know their own justice system.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

This is the problem (one of many) with USA. Everyone thinks a lawsuit is the way to go, just give me a huge chunk of money and all problems magically disappear. It really isn't, and you're pretty much the only country on earth that actually prefers to take this route. "In America, you can sue pretty much anyone for pretty much anything and most likely get away with it."
    Sueing a public school for a fortune is idiocy, nothing else. I think the settlement she got in terms of money was more than fair from her point of view, in Sweden she would have received a much, much lower compensation and instead have been helped with therapy. The school had instead been dealt with to make sure such a thing never occurs again.
    And for better or worse, it's likely that without the lawsuit, the family would have received no compensation or therapy as an official result of the case. (I'd be willing to bet the local community would chip in to help pay for treatment and such, but that's a different thing.)

I don't know what I think about the number of the settlement personally, but I do think the lawsuit was fully justified. A lot of times, when you hear lawyers suing for ridiculously high sums, even they don't think they'll ever get that much. They choose such high figures for two reasons:
    1) Scare tactic. If the other person gets nervous, it can put you in a position of strength.
    2) Legally, you cannot win more in a suit than you originally asked for, so they start far higher than they expect to be possible so that when it comes time for a verdict, they and their client aren't bound by a low figure (well, I would have given you 100,000 dollars, but since you only asked for 50,000, that's all I can do.)