Poll: What do you think about the case?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    surely the school carries some sort of liability insurance ?
    in which case the insurance company would be the one to pay wouldn't it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    Well, yes the rapist should be punished and all but what's at issue here is the school and its reckless mandate that made these things possible. Everyone closely related to the issue, people who forced the girl to write a letter of apology...amongst others, should be fired, fined and barred from doing any educational work ever again. School should pay through the nose, way more than 185k, and this isn't a small, poor school either so no they need to be stung harder than this.
    You were doing fine until this point. Yes, the people responsible should be held accountable, but this mentality of trying to sue for as much money as possible is counter productive. You say that the school needs to be "stung harder" but who really gets stung when the school pays? It's not like the money comes straight out of the paychecks of only the people who mishandled the situation. In the end, it's students and faculty who had nothing to do with the incident who suffer most from a massive financial loss for the school.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    -snip-
    Oh, I see. Thanks for the very detailed description. While I still think they should incorporate the functions of lawsuits in a criminal charge, as in getting the police involved but the punishment may still only be economical compensation, at least I now know what it's all about.

Since you left out a bit of my post but left my reply to crashdummy in there, I just want to make it clear that my reply to him/her has nothing to do with the last paragraph of my post, which was the part you replied to. I just thought his reply was very short-sighted since he/she implied that if you don't throw lawsuits around it means that you'll let every criminal go free.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

I'm not a big fan of monetary remuneration that comes on the backs of taxpayers rather than the lackwits that messed with this poor girl.

I think the people that treated her that way should be unemployable in education for the rest of their lives though.

I don't understand how people are saying $185,000 is getting "rich".

I'd have given her a bit more myself but this seemed like a pretty reasonable sum.

@badhairday: sorry about that, was replying in a bit of a hurry.

On a personal note, I'd hope there is also some sort of restitution from the boys responsible... but we'll see I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    Oh, I see. Thanks for the very detailed description. While I still think they should incorporate the functions of lawsuits in a criminal charge, as in getting the police involved but the punishment may still only be economical compensation, at least I now know what it's all about.

Since you left out a bit of my post but left my reply to crashdummy in there, I just want to make it clear that my reply to him/her has nothing to do with the last paragraph of my post, which was the part you replied to. I just thought his reply was very short-sighted since he/she implied that if you don't throw lawsuits around it means that you'll let every criminal go free.
    Its not about criminals getting free. Its about people responsible of bad things that are not crimes getting free.

In this case, the school and its staff are not criminals, they couldnt be charged to a crime, but they are responsible for not taking care of the girl, for making her miss one year of education and for enabling a second rape under the school's roof, effectively being a mean to making the girl's life miserable. So yes, i think 120k (since 60k goes to lawyers) is a really low compensation for that, and i think she should have received over 1 millon (and stop saying that would cause the state to go broke, 1 millon is NOTHING and dont really make any impact in USA states budgets, we are not talking about Somalia here).

So you see, the short-sighted one here is you, because you seem to think that everything is either a crime or is something good.

Well, that's not how it works, sometimes, people need to be accounted for irresponsible behaviour that is not a crime, and the way many societies have for that (no only US like someone else tried to say) is making them pay money.

In this case, you either sue the school and make them pay, or they walk away without punishment.

So yes, "throwing lawsuits around" like you want to say is sometimes ther only option to make people pay for their irresponsible behaviour.
    Last edited by Crashdummy; 2013-03-25 at 03:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You.. what? It was you, crash, who only came up with letting criminals go free when a poster stated his/her dislike for throwing lawsuits around. I have never said that you're either committing a crime or doing something good. You seem to have missread what I wrote, or I didn't explain things good enough. What I did say, was that I'd like to see lawsuits incorporated into criminal charges. So while they didn't permit a crime per sé, they still need to throw up money to compensate.

The only thing I'd like to see change is the way lawsuits are handled. But why I think that has nothing to do with this thread.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

You.. what? It was you, crash, who only came up with letting criminals go free when a poster stated his/her dislike for throwing lawsuits around. I have never said that you're either committing a crime or doing something good. You seem to have missread what I wrote, or I didn't explain things good enough. What I did say, was that I'd like to see lawsuits incorporated into criminal charges. So while they didn't permit a crime per sé, they still need to throw up money to compensate.

The only thing I'd like to see change is the way lawsuits are handled. But why I think that has nothing to do with this thread.
    This is what you quoted when you quoted me

Better have a system where someones stupidity and incompetence allows a girl to be raped twice and you cant do anything about it, right?

Makes total sense.
    This was your reply to that:

Yeah, because the only two systems you can have is either to sue for anything and everything or to let crimes happened, right?
    Now tell me, where do i say something about letting criminals go free? Unless you think stupidity and incompetence are crimes of course....

I didnt missread what you wrote, you did.

Lawsuits incorporated into criminals charges have nothing to do with this thread, SINCE THE SCHOOOL COMMITED NO CRIME and the thread is not talking about the punishment to the boy.

By the way, mixing lawsuits with criminal investigations would be bad, since they need very different courses to determine the outcome. A police officer would offer no help in a lawsuit.

So before posting things about other people, maybe you should read what they wrote and actually think a little.
    Last edited by Crashdummy; 2013-03-25 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashdummy View Post
    Lawsuits incorporated into criminals charges have nothing to do with this thread, SINCE THE SCHOOOL COMMITED NO CRIME
    Actually according to the news story, the school's decision to not pass on the report of rape (presumably to police?) is against the state law.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is horrific. All involved in covering this up should lose their jobs.

I do not like tax payers fitting the bill. Although, I would rather see that money go to this poor girl instead of a new fighter jet or some other waste.
    I like sandwiches

15+ Year Old Account
    I think the school deserved to pay her that amount. She was raped (atleast the last time), which would make me assume she got raped the first time aswell. If she really was lying the first time, the letter was deserved. It wasn't proven, nor disproven, so therefore they shouldn't have made her write the letter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashdummy View Post
    This is what you quoted when you quoted me

This was your reply to that:

Now tell me, where do i say something about letting criminals go free? Unless you think stupidity and incompetence are crimes of course....

I didnt missread what you wrote, you did.

Lawsuits incorporated into criminals charges have nothing to do with this thread, SINCE THE SCHOOOL COMMITED NO CRIME and the thread is not talking about the punishment to the boy.

By the way, mixing lawsuits with criminal investigations would be bad, since they need very different courses to determine the outcome. A police officer would offer no help in a lawsuit.

So before posting things about other people, maybe you should read what they wrote and actually think a little.
    Better have a system where someones stupidity and incompetence allows a girl to be raped twice and you can't do anything about it, right?
    This quote right here is what you said to a person who didn't like americans "throwing lawsuits". Effectively showing that the only two system you can think of is letting those people go untouched (AKA letting criminals go, because not reporting the girl's rape claim is against the law), or to throw lawsuits around. Only thinking in extremes is what I'd like to call short-sighted.

But you know what? I'm going to end this discussion right here, because your passive aggressiveness is completely unwarranted, childish, and whenever I see you post anywhere on this forum you always type like that.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

This quote right here is what you said to a person who didn't like americans "throwing lawsuits". Effectively showing that the only two system you can think of is letting those people go untouched (AKA letting criminals go, because not reporting the girl's rape claim is against the law), or to throw lawsuits around. Only thinking in extremes is what I'd like to call short-sighted.

But you know what? I'm going to end this discussion right here, because your passive aggressiveness is completely unwarranted, childish, and whenever I see you post anywhere on this forum you always type like that.
    You can do as you wish.

That quote right there is me telling someone that lawsuits are meant to punish those that, because of stupidity or irresponsibility (among other things), cause damage to other people. It has NOTHING to do with criminals, crime, or anything else.
    You just wanted to attack someone and pick that quote, made a VERY BAD interpretation of it and the proceed with the attack.

They may have broke that law, true, but the lawsuit doesnt depend on it (although its one more item to say they pay her too little).

Funny that you call me agresive, when you were the one that came calling someone short-sighted, maybe you should watch yourself in the mirror.

You are the one being childish here, quoting people and replying with a very bad reading comprehension and a worse attitude.

Next time, read the posts and think 5 minutes before attacking another poster.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    You'd be surprised at the mental arithmetic these people perform. "I think the blame should be on her too, but I'm not saying it's her fault, because I'm just saying she's the one made it happen, and this isn't victim blaming because her being raped is a lesson for all you girls!!!!"
    I feel nearly obligated to lecture you on continuing to bring up these straw misogynists.

I voted fair settlement and school at fault, but honestly as non-american the suing culture (suing for everything possible I mean), is a bit alien to me. I honestly don't understand what is the goal behind it, it just appears to be scraping up any money you can for something that doesn't cause you any financial harm in most cases...

Anyway I feel she should be compensated some for therapy/suppport purposes. It seems a lot but in confirmed rape cases (at least eventually) I'm ok with that personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'm not a big fan of monetary remuneration that comes on the backs of taxpayers rather than the lackwits that messed with this poor girl.

I think the people that treated her that way should be unemployable in education for the rest of their lives though.
    i think there should be potential for criminal proceedings. these people are supposed to be responsible for children, not intimidating victims into recanting. smacks of hindering the pursuit of justice and such imo
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    I feel nearly obligated to lecture you on continuing to bring up these straw misogynists.
    Straw? I see a dozen of them right in the poll.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe that the girl should be paid more, the boy should have his throat slit, and all faculty involved should be fired.

That being said, I am not siding with Semaphore here. I am making my own side with similar views, but where feminazis are not allowed.

Infracted.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2013-03-26 at 04:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    I voted fair settlement and school at fault, but honestly as non-american the suing culture (suing for everything possible I mean), is a bit alien to me. I honestly don't understand what is the goal behind it, it just appears to be scraping up any money you can for something that doesn't cause you any financial harm in most cases...

Anyway I feel she should be compensated some for therapy/suppport purposes. It seems a lot but in confirmed rape cases (at least eventually) I'm ok with that personally.
    It's pretty much just about money. It's the modern Get-rich-quick scheme. Most people will coax off of any misfortune they can to be payed huge sums of money. It makes places like schools and businesses nowadays afraid to take action on anything for fear of the repprocussions that will follow.
    That being said, the people in charge at the school who ignored this should be fired and have criminal charges put against them. As for the suit, it should only be about as much as it would cover for any medical/therapudic expenses. And I mean like they bring the actual fucking bill into court and say it cost X amount of money to do it.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.