Should PvP gear be the same for the entire expansion?

So again: Should PvP gear be the same for the entire expansion. And I am not talking about how it looks. Like challenge modes, some ranks should be able to buy nicer or newer looking things.

This way, it is all about skill. Ofcourse I would argue that the balance of this gear would be impeccable. It would suck immensly to have the same gear all expansion long while it puts you in a distinct disadvantage.

You'd have everyone equal in everything except skill. Isn't that what PvP is about?

I think that would kill the flow of progression in pvp. I love the new changes but i still think gear should come with it. What are you suppose to do when you've mastered your class to the best of your abilities and have all the achievements for pvp
    I play many games. WoW, Rift, D3, PoE, SC2 I will not criticize your game choice if you don't mine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    So again: Should PvP gear be the same for the entire expansion. And I am not talking about how it looks. Like challenge modes, some ranks should be able to buy nicer or newer looking things.

This way, it is all about skill. Ofcourse I would argue that the balance of this gear would be impeccable. It would suck immensly to have the same gear all expansion long while it puts you in a distinct disadvantage.

You'd have everyone equal in everything except skill. Isn't that what PvP is about?
    Whatever gave you the idea that WoW PvP was solely about skill? It's a gear progression game. Where skill actually matters in WoW PvP the players actually do have equal gear more or less, and asides from said skill class balance and group composition are the biggest factors. Plenty of other games out there which offer, or at least try to, a more skill based approach to PvP.

Without new shiny things people get tired of progressing. Looks by and large don't drive people.

The balance will improve but people will get really bored of not ever needing to get new gear. Sure maybe for multi-role classes it would be okay but a Hunter will gear in 3 months and then just sit on their points.

For me though I like to feel like my gear is making a difference when I play. When I'm fighting someone in PvE gear or bad gear I want it to feel like I have a distinct advantage against them. I'm not saying I want to have the instant blow up moves that happened in Wrath where getting in there with PvP gear resulted in not dying and just twatting away at someone's health until they /afk or I just get bored and walk away.
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.
    Because the very hands that held the stars were now sentenced to wear my scars.

Good point. Gear does drive people. "Improving ones character"

But usually when I look at threads in relation to PvP - people moan about the imbalance and whatnot and skills being the most important or even that it is unfair to go up against a full gladiator guy when you are just in blue pvpgear. Then weirdly when I open a topic such as this one, gear suddenly gets important.

I think it is important too in regard to improve ones character. But I could see that this would solve some issues in regarding to skill/tactics being more important.

Good point. Gear does drive people. "Improving ones character"

But usually when I look at threads in relation to PvP - people moan about the imbalance and whatnot and skills being the most important or even that it is unfair to go up against a full gladiator guy when you are just in blue pvpgear. Then weirdly when I open a topic such as this one, gear suddenly gets important.

I think it is important too in regard to improve ones character. But I could see that this would solve some issues in regarding to skill/tactics being more important.
    Oh I completely agree that when you start to pvp as a fresh character you get broken into pieces and those pieces are then set aflame.

The main problem that is inherent in the system is that pvp comes down largely to a game of burst vs healing. Yes control is a tool but it mainly is used to reduce the healing or bursting pressure another player can apply to either your target or your partner. With the relationship you end up having to balance the healing that a healer can bring against what a equally geared dps can bring so that the match becomes whom can set their window the best. When you enter with less or better gear it becomes increasingly harder to overcome the disparity due to this relationship. Yes with shitty gear you will get bursted down with great speed verses someone geared and be unable to touch someone who is a well geared healer.

If anything the interplay of pressure vs healing needs to change. Scaling all gear will end with many players loosing the drive to attain gear if getting the same set results in the same results.
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.
    Because the very hands that held the stars were now sentenced to wear my scars.