Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I somehow doubt we'll visit the South seas or any of those mentioned islands in the next expansion. Blizzard specifically said Mists of Pandaria is a fun and light hearted expansion for adventuring before things start to ramp up. I think South Seas would simply be too similar, so something darker is in store. I wouldn't be surprised if we returned to Outland.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgesh View Post
    Earth 2060

Incidentally, that's sort of how the Elemental Planes were originally described in the RPG, before Deathwing tore open the world and dragged them into Azeroth with him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    People don't seem to fucking know what "RETCON" means. A retcon is when they change a part of the story that was established into something different.
    Adding stuff they never mentioned before is NOT a retcon, so stop fucking calling it that and chaining it to all the baggage the word carries with it.
    Making Malfurion into Illidan's childhood friend would be a retcon, finding out Illidan and Malfurion have a sister or brother would not be a retcon. (Unless specifically stated otherwise)

Fleshing out and embellishing established or un-established details is not retconning. The Twilight Highlands was not a retcon.

Not only is there room for a new continent, plenty of alien worlds, we also have the moons of Azeroth as well.
    ah good point might be Titan watchama call its there technology thatss the word i'm looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Megara View Post
    I somehow doubt we'll visit the South seas or any of those mentioned islands in the next expansion. Blizzard specifically said Mists of Pandaria is a fun and light hearted expansion for adventuring before things start to ramp up. I think South Seas would simply be too similar, so something darker is in store. I wouldn't be surprised if we returned to Outland.
    .......In all good faith i'd rather not because Cataclysm was a cluster fuck of wrong due to revamping.Now if you mean we visit a new portion of Outland then yeah i'm game.Again Playable Ethereal or Bust(Come on Blizzard you haven't struck out on the last 3 playable races with me......well except female Worgen that was just a whole genocide of wrong.)
    Last edited by Shroud; 2013-03-26 at 07:11 AM.

yes we are all born from the flames of passion that stirred in the loins of our four fathers![Friend Code: 3325-2545-2595]

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope not, not for the next one anyway. Enough of being on Azeroth with continents appearing out of nowhere imo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shroud View Post
    Now if you mean we visit a new portion of Outland then yeah i'm game.
    That's what I mean. The leveling areas from 90+ will surely be brand new, as always.

I don't see how they can do burning legion expansion then do a south seas/maelstrom one, seems like it has to transition from dealing with Azshara/N'zoth - Sargeras.

Deleted
    Hopefully we'll depart from azeroth in the next expansion. Im done with it really... Give me demons!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EruptorNZ View Post
    I don't see how they can do burning legion expansion then do a south seas/maelstrom one, seems like it has to transition from dealing with Azshara/N'zoth - Sargeras.
    A new Burning Legion expansion doesn't necessarily have to deal with Sargeras. As far as we know he's still bodiless, with Kil'jaeden functioning as leader in his absence. Since we only dealt with KJ severely underpowered due to not fully being in Azeroth, we could deal with him at full power at the end of the expansion. Kinda like Ragnaros. Kil'jaeden.. now with legs!
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Earth 2060

Reminds me of the old Dungeons & Dragons "Hollow World" box set. God I'm feeling old right now!
    Dragonslayer Hoddie - pretending to know what I'm doing!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Actually, the South Seas and the Maelstrom region (which already technically has its own 'continent' level map in-game) have plenty of zones.

Speaking hypothetically, here's a listing of confirmed, named zones that could appear in a South Seas / Maelstrom / Naga expansion. Several of these come from the same sourcebook that introduced all of the zones in Northrend for the first time.

Kul Tiras: Confirmed to have drifted further into sea as a result of the Cataclysm. The capital of Kul Tiras, Boralus, could serve as an Alliance hub. Also included could be the smaller islands of Crestfall and Zul'dare.

Kezan: Only Bilgewater Port, the northenmost city on the island, has been seen, and Blizzard indicated they'd like to someday revisit it. It houses the massive goblin city of Undermine, which could serve as a Horde hub. Also known to contain the port city of Edj and a troll settlement, Voodress Village.

The Broken Isles: A chain of islands that include the ruins of the night elven city Suramar and the Tomb of Sargeras, as well as Stormreaver Bay, where Gul'dan made his base during the search for the Eye of Sargeras, and Balor, an island stronghold established by Stormwind during the First War.

Zandalar: Home of the Zandalari, birthplace of all troll civilization. Ruled by the Rastakhan and the prophet Zul. It began to sink beneath the waves as a result of the Cataclysm, but Blizzard has confirmed that it's still around and that the Zandalari won't be stopped until their leaders have been dealt with.

Tel Abim and Plunder Isle: Small islands occupied by trolls and pirates, respectively.

The Rift: The remains of the original Well of Eternity, a massive rift in the ocean floor. It's connected to the Elemental Planes and is heavily implied to have connections to the Rift of Aln in the Emerald Dream. It's also home to Nazjatar, the massive naga capital which was built from the ruins of Zin-Azshari.

The Boiling Terrace: An underwater region housing thermal vents and underwater volcanos, with boiling and acidic waters, to the southeast of Nazjatar.

The Drowned Reaches: Located on the edge of the Boiling Terrace, a massive graveyard of ships torn apart by whirlpools, populated by the ghosts and reanimated corpses of sailors and pirates.

Gishan Caverns: Located to the north of Nazjatar, a massive network of caverns in the ocean floor, occupied by monstrous sea creatures.

Pillar Deep: A region to the northeast of Nazjatar, home to thermal vents and vocalnic fissures, as well as giant stone pillars and massive tubeworms.

Scintal Reef: A massive coral reef to the southwest of Nazjatar, populated by makrura and home to their primitive, tribal capital, Makrura.

So, there, 12 potential zones which can easily be paired down to the standard 7-8 of an expansion, with possible alterations to raise some landmasses to the surface, so as to not make it so heavily focused on underwater content.
    That's actually more zones than I expected! I think a Queen Azshara expansion is inevitable, although whether it features a landmass or focuses on the islands above remains to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    A new Burning Legion expansion doesn't necessarily have to deal with Sargeras. As far as we know he's still bodiless, with Kil'jaeden functioning as leader in his absence. Since we only dealt with KJ severely underpowered due to not fully being in Azeroth, we could deal with him at full power at the end of the expansion. Kinda like Ragnaros. Kil'jaeden.. now with legs!
    I think theyve already said that if we take down sargeras, theres not gonna be anything left to kill.
    And how would we do that anyway because isn't sargeras the size of a mountain or something?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Zones yeah sure, but there's not much IN them.
    Like every other pandarian race? Before MoP people were speculating it would just be one lv 1-10 zone for new pandas.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Nightmare :> The Emerald Dream must come! some day ffs!

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Earth 2060

I know someone around here's tossed "Spider Kingdom" expansion around a lot. And LotRO struck first with Mines of Moria.

Underground expansion confirmed.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Megara View Post
    That's what I mean. The leveling areas from 90+ will surely be brand new, as always.
    As long as your not asking for the stars then its reasonable I'm sure more than one portion of Dreanor had to survive probably with Alleria and Turaylon fighting the Legion.

yes we are all born from the flames of passion that stirred in the loins of our four fathers![Friend Code: 3325-2545-2595]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shroud View Post
    As long as your not asking for the stars then its reasonable I'm sure more than one portion of Dreanor had to survive probably with Alleria and Turaylon fighting the Legion.
    That's exactly what I think and hope...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDDGuides View Post

After the Burning Crusade was released and Blizzard were asked to reflect on the reaction it got, they claimed that players actually preferred spending their time on Azeroth, that high or "space fantasy" conflicted with the games gothic tone.

Thoughts?
    I love the space fantasy theme, shame that we havent had any kind of it since TBC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LimeWyndham View Post
    I think theyve already said that if we take down sargeras, theres not gonna be anything left to kill.
    And how would we do that anyway because isn't sargeras the size of a mountain or something?
    Metzen did say that he'd be very disappointed if they didn't manage to bring Sargeras into WoW at some point. If it ever happens it's most likely when there's very few threats still around. Although, they did show with MoP that they can take some old stuff and mix it with completely new stuff and make it into something incredibly awesome, so they might manage to either shove lots of "filler" expansions inbetween, or keep on going after Sargeras. Anyhow, I still think that the next time we deal with the Burning Legion (as hinted at even more with the 5.3 voice files) it certainly won't be the last. We can deal with parts of the legion throughout different expansions, or so I think.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

the answer is simple.
    azeroth's version of r'lyeh.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%27lyeh
    sure nzoth might be a huge bad guy old god that lives under nazjatar and the maelstrom, but if the ulduar globes can be trusted, there is still a large mass of ocean on the opposite side of the globe.

lovecraft's site of r'yleh is quite near the oceanic point of inaccessibility, where there is no major land within a huge area. seems pretty similar to the ulduar globe.

lovecraft on cthulhu
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn: "In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming"
    from the puzzle box of yogg saron
    In the sunken city(ny'alotha), he (n'zoth?) lays dreaming.
    n'zoth is the presumed speculation of who is in ny'alotha, the city referenced in the puzzle box of yogg saron, but what if that is not the case.
    if nzoth is in nazjatar, and nazjatar is not ny'alotha, then what is?
    before the sundering, azeroth was one enormous continent with the well of eternity in the center, and zin-azshari was on its shores. during the sundering, zin-azshari sunk as a whole damaged landmass into the seas. after azshara accepted the old gods help, transforming the highbourne into naga, they built nazjatar. it can be a safe assumption that nazjatar was built around and in old zin-azshari. both are close the the well of eternity/the rift

so there is an old god near the rift, and it is most likely nzoth, however, the well of eternity was not always underwater, so the old god underneath the well wasnt always underwater. moreso importantly, when the titans chose the well of eternity for its location and its power, why would they build it on top of an old god? did they know of the old gods at the time? was the well used as a prison?

ny'alotha is similar to nylarthotep, a figure in lovecraft mythos. since blizzard uses lots of lovecraft mythos charachter names as inspirations, ill elaborate on nylarthotep. nylarthotep is known as the crawling chaos, and the god of a thousand forms. his father is azathoth(azeroth), and one of his siblings are the nameless mist. nylarthotep is known as a great deceiver and walks the word of men in the guise of a tall, slim and joyous man. he has thousands of other forms and most of them are horrifying. he cultivates followers and uses propoganda to achieve his desires. he has a mocking contempt for his masters. this sounds very familiar to me.
    wrathion.
    one of my speculations that ive posted before is wrathion was always evil. he is using us (the players) as followers and is using propoganda to achieve his goals. he wishes the sha, and all of their followers to be destroyed. he wants a united army to be ready to stand against the legion.

now azathoth is the supreme grandfather of the lovecraftian gods. in a family tree that lovecraft explained, he was the direct progenitor of all of the gods. his children, nylarthotep, the nameless mists and the darkness. his 7 known best offspring are yog-sothoth, shub-niggurath, nug and yeb, wilbur whateley, cthulhu and tsathooggua.
    a common speculation has been that there are 5 old gods, and each location of the old god draws out a pentagram. this is a cool assumption, but has been proven false and also does not fall into lovecraftian similarities.

the known old gods are now cthun, yogg saron, nzoth and yshaarj. yshaarj's body was destroyed by the titans and formed the 7 sha.
    puzzle box
    Have you had the dream again? A black goat with seven eyes that watches from the outside.
    the 7th sha was recently revealed as the sha of pride, which 'created the mists'. shaohao conquered all of the sha, his negative emotions, except his pride. shaohao says "that pride is good, and it is bad. more dangerous than all the others combined." "only by working together, can we overcome the darkness, all that stands in our way is pride" this new information reveals that the pandaren, through shaohao are inherently vessels of the old god's power.

so ive gotten pretty far off course from my original statement of that azeroth's ry'leh is on the opposite side of the maelstrom. but taking into account the vast similarities and inspirations blizzard takes from lovecraft mythos, there are a lot of correlations. so ill simplify them.
    azeroth-azathoth. the supreme old god.
    wrathion-nylarthotep. the great deceiver, seeks to undermine his elders for his own agenda.
    7 sha-birthed of yshaarj when his body was destroyed. latched onto the pandaren people. purged by shaohao, except for the final sha, pride.
    the puzzle box of yogg saron-as cryptic as it is insightful. i see this as the works of lovecraft, adapted to fit WoW.
    there are 7 old gods. we know of 4. 3 remain unknown. one has been speculated to be underneath tirisfal glades.
    the massive oceanic expanse opposite the maelstrom on azeroth is home to unknown power. it holds no travel routes, and is not known to be traversed. thats a very big area of potential use.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyrd View Post
    there are 7 old gods. we know of 4. 3 remain unknown. one has been speculated to be underneath tirisfal glades.
    where you getting this number from? different sources state there as either being three (proven false), four, or five old gods.

And Wrathion is the only black dragon not corrupted by the old gods.