10+ Year Old Account

Mage leveling help.

So I'm currently leveling a Mage and I've been doing it as Arcane. I really don't know a lot about Mages because I've always played a Shadow Priest, but I'm curious if I should level as Arcane or Frost? I also don't have any BOA gear, so it's all greens or dungeon blues currently.

Once I hit 90, should I go back to Arcane for dungeons and LFR? Or should I stick with Frost until I have better gear?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure what abilities you get at certain levels, but Arcane is really strong in dungeons, you can just spam dat ab and things die quickly. If you pick up duel spec go with frost for questing, cause you can mass pull everything and shatter AoE combo it down.

As for level 90, frost is better at low ilvls, but I've always preferred fire/arcane due to being able to play it better.

Deleted
    I second Jon1o1:s statement, go arcane for dungeons and frost for solo play.

Upon reaching lvl 90, frost is the best chioce of spec untill reach aprox 500-510 ilvl, then you can pretty much play whatever floats your boat.

10+ Year Old Account
    So stay Arcane then? I've seen some Frost Mages leveling that do slightly better dps... They do however have full BOA gear and enchants though.

Umm...did you read what posters said? Are you trolling? People were (are) recommending you lvl up (questing) as frost. This is by far the easiest spec to lvl with as you have good control/burst for multiple adds. Arcane is good for dungeons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Babylonia View Post
    Umm...did you read what posters said? Are you trolling? People were (are) recommending you lvl up (questing) as frost. This is by far the easiest spec to lvl with as you have good control/burst for multiple adds. Arcane is good for dungeons.
    I did read... I'm sticking to mostly dungeons and rarely doing any quests.

Question

The absolute best way to level is as Frost.
    It has the best defenses, it is VERY good for poor gear levels and you will be critting so much it won't even be funny.
    It can also solo AoE many mobs at once, thanks to it's massive slow effects.
    Plus the pet is a very good bonus, and it is by far the most dangerous in below-90 PvP.

Fire really depends on gear, so i would not advise it unless you have like at least 20% critical strike chance.
    Arcane is kinda complicated, it's AoE is not all that good and it's approach to spending a ton of mana for DPSing is kind of a drag during leveling.
    Until you reach 90, Frost will most probably be the highest dps spec out of the 3 along with immense defenses and a pet.

Of course this is all just my opinion, but i just recently leveled a mage to 90 so i got some very fresh experience
    Last edited by Aleksej89; 2013-03-25 at 06:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    The absolute best way to level is as Frost.
    It has the best defenses, it is VERY good for poor gear levels and you will be critting so much it won't even be funny.
    It can also solo AoE many mobs at once, thanks to it's massive slow effects.
    Plus the pet is a very good bonus, and it is by far the most dangerous in below-90 PvP.

Fire really depends on gear, so i would not advise it unless you have like at least 20% critical strike chance.
    Arcane is kinda complicated, it's AoE is not all that good and it's approach to spending a ton of mana for DPSing is kind of a drag during leveling.

Of course this is all just my opinion, but i just recently leveled a mage to 90 so i got some very fresh experience
    Appreciate the advice!

Frost is even better for dungeons. you will get close to 100% crits with shatters and mobs die so fast youll do better dps as frost trust me

Deleted
    Frost, there's not doubt about it. Either in dungeons or questing.