Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ...
8
16
17
18
19
20
... LastLast
  1. #341
    The Insane Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having beers with Dorothy
    Posts
    15,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Now thats weird, I thought it's usual to like Game of Thrones No hard feelings, I'm a great fan, but there are different tastes.

    I gotta agree, the deaths in the series were very, very shocking and spontaneous. But thats what I've always found great in it. It was not a series about a certain character, it was a series about the whole world. None of the players in the Game of Thrones were "main characters", there were just players in this big game, and whether or not they lost or won at a certain point, the game was still going. Thats what makes the series great for me.

    But I gotta ask, do you play WoW only for Thrall? I like the character, or course: he is strong, he is brave, he is wise, he is powerfull. He is pretty much a mix of all good characteristics of a video game character, a classic protagonist. But WoW has shown that the story is not passive and stable. Things are changing constantly, the world gets reshaped, the bosses are dying, mages are being buffed. And some characters simply do not really adapt to this. Thrall is a great example. Since the first time he appeared, he hasn't changed at all. He hasn't really developed anything. Hell, even when they introduced the side quest that was supposed to show the negative emotions tearing Thrall apart, those negative emotions were kinda making the character even more "good". Thrall didn't really give much to the story as a character, appearing rather as an ultimate being during the Dragon Soul.

    For me, if the Game is still on, the characters have to adapt to it - or they should get discarded, or yes, killed. And if the Game is not going, well, no character can improve the situation.
    much like how I use to read comics because certain characters I liked more were in them, like for example with x-men it was wolverine and beast, my two favorite characters. It was nice seeing other character development, and a shock if a character was killed off, but when they began to fan out my favorite characters int other titles, and even sometimes kill them off, it lost appeal for me to carry on reading. I invest in liking a character, and the story just feels like it loses is main bolt or main structural piece without them.

    Killing major characters you invest so much time into liking and reading about, only to have them killed off, it also kills the franchise for me. All other character development is needed but for me, without those favorite characters, and killing off for ignorant reasons, it kills the franchise.

    ---------- Post added 2013-03-26 at 01:48 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    I doubt that they'll kill off Thrall, I really do. During Cataclysm, Metzen said that Garrosh was but a part of the Thrall saga.
    They also even stated that Thrall was to be the Warchief again, granted not soon after they quickly said that they might have spoken too soon.

    As for the references to A Song of Ice and Fire (Or A Game of Thrones to those who've only seen the show), while I enjoy it as such, the whole idea of constantly killing off the likeable characters gets old - very fast. At a point it stagnates really, to a degree where you find yourself thinking: "Huh, I kinda like this character, that probably means that he/she is as good as dead... Yeah there we go, a gruesome death - never saw that coming yawn".

    Also there's the fact that Garrosh simply cannot take on Thrall. Thrall is stronger in every possible way, unless of course Garrosh directly DEVOURS the Heart of Y'shaarj, which I doubt he'd survive. Then there's the fact that *if* Thrall is killed - just about every known NPC or character in the entire franchise (human, orc, troll, dragon, night elf etc) would storm the gates of Orgrimmar, and while the death of Thrall could act as the reason for the overall rebellion, I doubt it. Hell, Thrall befriended and saved Alextrasza and Nozdormu personally, even though they aren't Aspects anymore, I'm still certain that burning down Orgrimmar is within their power.
    And considering we have this impending doom of the legion returning form wrathions own words, having the horde without its shamanistic leader and torn apart would bury it. The horde was only able to stand against the legion before because Thrall brought it together and lead it as one.

  2. #342
    The Insane
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Posts
    15,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    much like how I use to read comics because certain characters I liked more were in them, like for example with x-men it was wolverine and beast, my two favorite characters. It was nice seeing other character development, and a shock if a character was killed off, but when they began to fan out my favorite characters int other titles, and even sometimes kill them off, it lost appeal for me to carry on reading. I invest in liking a character, and the story just feels like it loses is main bolt or main structural piece without them.

    Killing major characters you invest so much time into liking and reading about, only to have them killed off, it also kills the franchise for me. All other character development is needed but for me, without those favorite characters, and killing off for ignorant reasons, it kills the franchise.

    ---------- Post added 2013-03-26 at 01:48 PM ----------



    And considering we have this impending doom of the legion returning form wrathions own words, having the horde without its shamanistic leader and torn apart would bury it. The horde was only able to stand against the legion before because Thrall brought it together and lead it as one.
    There's also the fact that, Sylvanas and Lor'themar will never lead the Horde - don't get me wrong, I like Lor'themar but I don't see him as a warchief. Then there's Vol'jin, he's not the ruler type, he's the advisor, same goes for Baine - and hah Ji and Gallywix? Yeah....

    Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

  3. #343
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    much like how I use to read comics because certain characters I liked more were in them, like for example with x-men it was wolverine and beast, my two favorite characters. It was nice seeing other character development, and a shock if a character was killed off, but when they began to fan out my favorite characters int other titles, and even sometimes kill them off, it lost appeal for me to carry on reading. I invest in liking a character, and the story just feels like it loses is main bolt or main structural piece without them.
    I kinda understand this, but from a different point of view. When I buy comic books, I buy them because of Wolverine. Im entirely not interested in any other characters, just getting the Wolverine ones. Because I love not even the comics, not even the art design, but the character himself. If they permanently killed Wolverine (yeah, that surely happens in comic books, where ressurection is instant cast without mana cost), i wouldn't simply buy any more of those.

    In WoW I love the game, not any character in it.

  4. #344
    The Insane Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having beers with Dorothy
    Posts
    15,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    I kinda understand this, but from a different point of view. When I buy comic books, I buy them because of Wolverine. Im entirely not interested in any other characters, just getting the Wolverine ones. Because I love not even the comics, not even the art design, but the character himself. If they permanently killed Wolverine (yeah, that surely happens in comic books, where ressurection is instant cast without mana cost), i wouldn't simply buy any more of those.

    In WoW I love the game, not any character in it.
    For me the pull in the game is the characters, thats why it matters to me so much on what they do. Its also why I feel the magic in warcraft is slowly dying out. See back at the start of wow, we had to much on the horizon of characters to see come into the series again, deathwing, illidan, the dragon aspects, Arthas, the titans, the elemental lords, and of course the development of already existing characters.

    but as times gone on, they've slowly plucked off one villain at a time, and leaving nothing much on the horizon, what, Azshara and Sergeras, soimething left to see. And the pre existing characters being developed along or being killed off, and some even nothing to show for it. Cairnes death, where he had no development in wow and only some in wc3 felt like the biggest tragedy in the series. Why invent a great character people asked more and more to see more of, only to kill him off, just to develop Garrosh's character, who, oh my god, will also be killed off?

    Thralls character is one of the few remaining long standing developed characters left in the series, and you need this, its so obvious the series need this, because it gives the story structure, when so many other developed characters have been killed off, and nothing new is coming on the horizon. What, lei shen? A character we knew nothing off before mists, and now he's dead too, much like yogg saron, nothing longstanding.

    You need longstanding characters in a series to give the story structure, otherwise they just make up and throw whatever they think up and expect you to love it.

  5. #345
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    For me the pull in the game is the characters, thats why it matters to me so much on what they do. Its also why I feel the magic in warcraft is slowly dying out. See back at the start of wow, we had to much on the horizon of characters to see come into the series again, deathwing, illidan, the dragon aspects, Arthas, the titans, the elemental lords, and of course the development of already existing characters.

    but as times gone on, they've slowly plucked off one villain at a time, and leaving nothing much on the horizon, what, Azshara and Sergeras, soimething left to see. And the pre existing characters being developed along or being killed off, and some even nothing to show for it. Cairnes death, where he had no development in wow and only some in wc3 felt like the biggest tragedy in the series. Why invent a great character people asked more and more to see more of, only to kill him off, just to develop Garrosh's character, who, oh my god, will also be killed off?

    Thralls character is one of the few remaining long standing developed characters left in the series, and you need this, its so obvious the series need this, because it gives the story structure, when so many other developed characters have been killed off, and nothing new is coming on the horizon. What, lei shen? A character we knew nothing off before mists, and now he's dead too, much like yogg saron, nothing longstanding.

    You need longstanding characters in a series to give the story structure, otherwise they just make up and throw whatever they think up and expect you to love it.
    Not to mention Thrall is quite literaly the trademark of Warcraft franchise. If he gets killed, than it's more or less over for it.
    Thanks a bunch for the Signature, Cthulhu Ftagn.

  6. #346
    Pandaren Monk gypsybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Scotland, UK
    Posts
    1,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Jshadow View Post
    Not to mention Thrall is quite literaly the trademark of Warcraft franchise. If he gets killed, than it's more or less over for it.
    I'm hoping to hell Thrall doesn't die. He's the only character I want as Warchief after Garrosh is killed.

  7. #347
    Quote Originally Posted by Jshadow View Post
    Not to mention Thrall is quite literaly the trademark of Warcraft franchise. If he gets killed, than it's more or less over for it.
    Though im not saying Thrall will die, he wasnt the face of WC till Cata when Metzen forced him on us, which pissed a lot of people off and made them hate the character.

  8. #348
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    I'm hoping to hell Thrall doesn't die. He's the only character I want as Warchief after Garrosh is killed.
    I agree even though i love garrosh hellscream Thrall is the only other guy i would stand to be warchief except for maybe saurfang

    Im a orc racist and believe only a orc should lead the orcs and be warchief

    (im not really racist irl)

  9. #349
    The Insane
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Posts
    15,018
    Quote Originally Posted by babo7000 View Post
    Though im not saying Thrall will die, he wasnt the face of WC till Cata when Metzen forced him on us, which pissed a lot of people off and made them hate the character.
    I disagree, he played an enormous role in Warcraft 3.

    Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

  10. #350
    Pandaren Monk gypsybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Scotland, UK
    Posts
    1,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post
    I agree even though i love garrosh hellscream Thrall is the only other guy i would stand to be warchief except for maybe saurfang

    Im a orc racist and believe only a orc should lead the orcs and be warchief

    (im not really racist irl)
    For me its more the fact I hate Vol'Jin (the fanbase makes him out to be some super-badass and second coming of christ when, in reality, he has done shit all) and I don't think Baine has enough development for me to form an opinion.

  11. #351
    Dreadlord Spichora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    For me its more the fact I hate Vol'Jin (the fanbase makes him out to be some super-badass and second coming of christ when, in reality, he has done shit all) and I don't think Baine has enough development for me to form an opinion.
    We dont yet know who will be Warchief. Why you consider only Vol'jin and Baine? Blizz said it will be someone we are not expecting.


    War is deception, a game played best from the shadows!

  12. #352
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    I disagree, he played an enormous role in Warcraft 3.
    Yea, but still wasnt the 'face' of WoW, just a really important character. It was during Cata that he got plastered on everything that has to do with EoW, which as many remember, pissed of a lot of Ally (and even some Horde)

  13. #353
    The Patient Ichorum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by Spichora View Post
    We dont yet know who will be Warchief. Why you consider only Vol'jin and Baine? Blizz said it will be someone we are not expecting.
    Hmm, I don't remember them saying it was someone we wouldn't expect. I remember them saying Thrall would play an unexpected part in the Siege, though.

    Also, your signature, it's "War is deception, a game played best from the shadows!" :x


  14. #354
    Quote Originally Posted by Jshadow View Post
    Not to mention Thrall is quite literaly the trademark of Warcraft franchise. If he gets killed, than it's more or less over for it.
    Thrall appeared since WIII. 1st and 2nd games of Warcraft were quite successfull without him.

    Besides - Thrall a trademark? I guess if somebody not playing WoW would be asked to name a character from Warcraft franchise, he would either say nothing or something like "Illidan" or "Arthas". Both of those guys are dead and the game is still rocking.

  15. #355
    Quote Originally Posted by Jshadow View Post
    Not to mention Thrall is quite literaly the trademark of Warcraft franchise. If he gets killed, than it's more or less over for it.
    thrall is very far from the trademark of warcraft. murlocs are more of a trademark than thrall. if you asked someone who best represented wow it would most likely be illidan or arthas
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

  16. #356
    Quote Originally Posted by babo7000 View Post
    Yea, but still wasnt the 'face' of WoW, just a really important character. It was during Cata that he got plastered on everything that has to do with EoW, which as many remember, pissed of a lot of Ally (and even some Horde)
    Yeah. Thrall was a major, iconic character. But so were Arthas, Jaina, and others. Heck in the expansion the orc story was a side story not tied to the main story of the Frozen Throne. Thrall is an important character to be sure. But I think calling him the trademark of Warcraft is an overstatement.
    "If you have to believe it on faith, you have no reason to believe it at all.” Aron Ra

  17. #357
    The Lightbringer Gimlix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands!
    Posts
    3,311
    I want to hear Garrosh his soundfile
    EU ~ Outland

  18. #358
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    I doubt that they'll kill off Thrall, I really do. During Cataclysm, Metzen said that Garrosh was but a part of the Thrall saga.
    They also even stated that Thrall was to be the Warchief again, granted not soon after they quickly said that they might have spoken too soon.
    That's true. But Metzen also said that Garrosh' story isn't necessarily over with MoP, there could be more with him.

    Does that mean that there is also a small chance that no major character dies?

    ---------- Post added 2013-03-26 at 04:04 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    Yeah. Thrall was a major, iconic character. But so were Arthas, Jaina, and others. Heck in the expansion the orc story was a side story not tied to the main story of the Frozen Throne. Thrall is an important character to be sure. But I think calling him the trademark of Warcraft is an overstatement.
    Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans was supposed to be the Horde and Thrall's time to shine. Even though the game got canceled, Thrall was important enough to be worked into Warcraft 3 somehow. And later they made a book about his story because they felt it was important.

    So no, Thrall (and the Horde) being a side story in Warcraft 3 doesn't mean he's on the level of Jaina. Thrall is more important than that.

  19. #359
    Dreadlord Spichora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichorum View Post
    Hmm, I don't remember them saying it was someone we wouldn't expect. I remember them saying Thrall would play an unexpected part in the Siege, though.

    Also, your signature, it's "War is deception, a game played best from the shadows!" :x
    Oh thanks )) If i find the Quote Ill link.


    War is deception, a game played best from the shadows!

  20. #360
    Herald of the Titans Wishblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Here, There and Everywhere
    Posts
    2,549
    Whenever I think about it I remember back to when Blizz said that Thrall would return to the Horde in some way. Just hoping he's returning to the real Horde that'll live on after Garrosh is gone, not the real Horde that's rising up against Garrosh.
    "Reminds me of a dog, you stare at it while it's playing outside... Running around in a circle, then stopping up, wagging with a wide "grin". Jumping around until you call for the dog, then it lowers its tail because it think it's done something bad... And then you throw the ball, seeing the tail go straight into the air in bliss! ^^" - Gehco
    Wishblade of Draenor EU

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •