Gameplay for dummies

From the avaible gameplay video, considering the small 30 card decks and all here is my gameplay preview for Hearthstone

Basics:

Cards choice:

-9 classes, some cards fit all classes some cards are class specifics
    -standard decks avaible at first then you can make your own as you win pack through the RANDOMMATCHMAKING only.
    - only 2 of the same card per deck, any card over get disenchanted for crafting
    - crafting requires disenchanting materials and you choose what you make
    - 30 card per deck
    - no quests card like in wow tcg
    - There will be over 300 cards with the initial launch

Ingame ressource: Mana crystal

- You start with one mana crystal on your first turn.
    - Each subsequent turn you gain another mana crystal and all the one you had refreshes (maximum of 10 mana crystal)
    - Mana crystal are used to play ally cards, spells and hero powers. their costs is written on top of each in a mana crystal.
    - Mana crystal are displayed at all time on the table (lower right corner)
    - some spells increases mana crystal, some might even reduce or prevent gaining them each turn.

Heroes:

- they define your class, you can't play a mage malfurion. Heroes are linked to their class.
    - They have a power they can use once each turn
    - They start with 30 health (so far) and no attack power

ally cards

-ally cards are put into play by using up your avaible mana crystal(s). They have an attack number (sword), health number (blood)
    -when first put into play, allies are sleeping for the first turn and can't attack until your next turn.
    -Some have abilities that are self explanatory, others have abilities you will get used to like taunt (which drags the enemy's ally attacks to this ally)
    -they stay into play until killed. there will probably be a maximum number of ally in play at once.

Spell cards

- they use mana crystal(s)
    - after their effect described on the card is apply'ed the card is put back at the end of your deck, unless specified otherwise (curse/dot/bleed/hot)

Equipment cards:

- There is weapons cards so far, I've not seen armor cards but the armor mecanic is in the game so we will probably see them.
    - They augment you're hero's ability to attack or defend against damage. 1 armor reduced damage taken by 1
    - They have a durabilities and probably loses 1 durability each time they are used
    - When you attack with a weapon, your hero might get hurt from the fight if you attack an enemy that can fight back (has an attack power value)

Fighting

- ally's and heroes can be used to attack if they have an attack value (sword number), limit of once per ally/hero per turn. if you have 3 ally but your hero has no attack you can attack 3 times in one turn
    - Fighting works like in the TCG both units get hurt in the process, they trade blows except hero/allies target without attack power.
    - You can target the enemy of your choice, beware of some ally that might block or taunt the attack to them.

before the game begins:

- Each heroes will let out a taunt phrase
    - you start the game with 3 or 4 cards
    - you can discard one (or more) from your starting cards to draw new ones. the ones you had go at the end of the deck

on your turn:

- Start of turn abilities activate if present
    - At the start of each turn you draw a card. (automatic)
    - you can play as many cards as your mana crystals allow you to
    - you can use your hero power once per turn if you have the mana crystals
    - you can attack once with each ally you have that are not asleep.
    - you can attack with your hero if he has an attack power of at least 1
    - you end your turn with a button, a timeout limit will probably be added should no action be taken to prevent stalling.
    - End of turn abilities activate if present

During the game:

- You can have maximum 10 card in your hands and 8 card on the playing field (allies and spells (dot/bleed/hot))
    - Damage is permanent on both allies and heroes unless they are manually healed through spells and abilities.

Social:

- Battle.net friend list will be used
    - No chat so far, maybe bnet friend list chat (unconfirmed)
    - Emotes avaible at any time which makes your hero say something your opponent can hear.

UI:

I plan on polishing it up should the feedback on this be positive. If I get into beta I'll make this guide even better otherwise It'll wait till it is releashed. I based everything off the gameplay video of malfurion vs guldan and basic wow TCG knowledge.
    Last edited by Damax; 2013-03-31 at 02:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good run down. This is pretty much what I've seen too.

Someone that actually played the game at Pax said you start with either 3 or 4 cards, depending on lucky draw of some kind. Combined with automatically drawing a card to start your turn that means you have an intial 4-5 cards on your first turn.

I thought I read somewhere that the player going second draws a 4th card to offset the disadvantage?

You also might want to add something about hand set-up before the game starts, going off what I've read you are allowed to trade in as many of your cards as you want one time before the game officially starts in order to have a decent hand ie. put back 2/3 and draw 2 additional cards.

Other than that this is fairly solid! Makes you wonder why Blizzard didn't publish a rule book yet...

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Good run down. This is pretty much what I've seen too.

Someone that actually played the game at Pax said you start with either 3 or 4 cards, depending on lucky draw of some kind. Combined with automatically drawing a card to start your turn that means you have an intial 4-5 cards on your first turn.
    Added it, thanks! I forgot that somehow. might need to move around my breakdown paragraphs, will update information as things are confirmed/verifyed. I will add a ui explanation picture, as well as card explanation picture over the week.

@Luciferiuz : also added the discard mechanics. we're not sure yet if we will be allowed to reshuffle your whole hand. I only saw that you can discard one of your card (possibly more) and they are put back at the end of the pack (meaning they might not come back until you use the other 29 cards in other words: gone for the game). Cards you draw might just be randomized each time without following a specific pre-game shuffle order.
    Last edited by Damax; 2013-03-26 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Damax View Post
    @Luciferiuz : also added the discard mechanics. we're not sure yet if we will be allowed to reshuffle your whole hand. I only saw that you can discard one of your card (possibly more) and they are put back at the end of the pack (meaning they might not come back until you use the other 29 cards in other words: gone for the game). Cards you draw might just be randomized each time without following a specific pre-game shuffle order.
    Hmmm I definitely read or heard you can choose how many you are sending back but maybe that was speculation somewhere... I would assume they are going back not getting discarded yeah, but makes you wonder about shuffling and if it ever occurs (maybe just at the start of a match?).

Interesting. I'll try and dig up where I got that from.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now all you're doing is making me wanna play it now. WTB Beta :P

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Now all you're doing is making me wanna play it now. WTB Beta :P
    Seriously.

Does anyone know of any other online-modeled ccgs or tcgs like this one? The way its been built from the ground up as an online thing is pretty interesting.

I mean, I know Yugioh has dueling-network for online matchmaking (and something worse made by Konami) and nintendo tried to do the same thing recently by making an online portal (heavily microtransactioned last time I checked) but its interesting to see what the market/competitors to hearthstone is like.

Two things
    About the taunt, the way they explained is more like you are forced to attack any of the minions (that is how they call them) with taunt, you can choose one of them, but you cannot attack anything else if there is a minion with taunt.
    Minions don't regenerate after each turn, this may be how the WoW TCG works but is new to me that played only MTG

Quote Originally Posted by thigan View Post
    Two things
    About the taunt, the way they explained is more like you are forced to attack any of the minions (that is how they call them) with taunt, you can choose one of them, but you cannot attack anything else if there is a minion with taunt.
    Minions don't regenerate after each turn, this may be how the WoW TCG works but is new to me that played only MTG
    That's the behavior I saw when I played at Pax East. If Either me or my opponent had a minion with taunt down, we had to attack and take care of that one before we could do anything to the other minions. I think you can still heal whoever you want though, the taunt only affects attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by thigan View Post
    This was probably the most interesting thing I saw... damage seems to be permanant so far.

Deleted
    Cards choice:

- no equipement or quests card like in wow tcg

During the game:

- there seems to be no limit on the number of card you can have in your hand to allow you to save your important cards for later
    Hey Damax.

Nice compilation so far. I think we got some information on those two parts of your summary.
    Some websites already statet, that there are "equipment" cards (i.e. http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Cards )

There is also someone on reddit who gave us information on hand and field limit. ( http://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/...with_some_new/ )

Hand limit is 10 and field limit is 8.
    Beside of that... good work. Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Phonic View Post
    This was probably the most interesting thing I saw... damage seems to be permanant so far.
    Depends on what class you play. The priest ability lets you heal them (not for a lot and there is a CD) but there are also cards that let you draw extra cards when your minions get healed so I think there are also other ways to accomplish that.

Quote Originally Posted by Krovicz View Post
    Hey Damax.

Nice compilation so far. I think we got some information on those two parts of your summary.
    Some websites already statet, that there are "equipment" cards (i.e. http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Cards )

There is also someone on reddit who gave us information on hand and field limit. ( http://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/...with_some_new/ )

Beside of that... good work. Keep it up!
    updated thanks for the head's up. its kinda hard to follow with limited time because the information is all over kingdom come. Everything being beta means nothing is set in stone. 5 equipment cards all weapons is pretty small and I have a hard time believing they are in to stay until i see more of them and possibly armors.

the sudden death at the end might change also, taking extra damage because you used up all your cards seems punishing for using draw 1 extra card abilities

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Depends on what class you play. The priest ability lets you heal them (not for a lot and there is a CD) but there are also cards that let you draw extra cards when your minions get healed so I think there are also other ways to accomplish that.
    Oh yes but we are not talking in that sense I think, in MTG you have one turn to kill a creature lets say it has 5 HP you attack him for 2 and throw 2 direct damage to it, and you don't have any other method to do that extra dmg, those damage were a waste of resources, while here, if you know that one creature is going to be a problem in the future, you can trade a card for those two damage generating card disadvantage in this turn because in other turn you are going to get back that card disadvantage, maybe increasing your overall tempo if in that future turn you need your mana for something else.

TD;LR It plays very different that MTG in that regard.

updated thanks for the head's up. its kinda hard to follow with limited time because the information is all over kingdom come. Everything being beta means nothing is set in stone. 5 equipment cards all weapons is pretty small and I have a hard time believing they are in to stay until i see more of them and possibly armors.
    Of course they'll stay, they have minions interacting with them, and Bashiok talked about how good are some Weapon decks. Armor doesn't exist, just Weapons, and are class exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by fr0d0b0ls0n View Post
    Of course they'll stay, they have minions interacting with them, and Bashiok talked about how good are some Weapon decks. Armor doesn't exist, just Weapons, and are class exclusive.
    Fiery war axe and gorehowl both have no class assigned and show neutral meaning they are not class exclusive, unless of course they aren't finished and are gonna get a class restriction which still bring us back to CHANGE or nothing is set in stone yet.

Armor cards doesn't exist YET. Armor as a stat exist: we've seen malfurion get armor from his hero power. Since the stat exist, it would be pretty lame to exist only through spell/hero power

unless you give me a link to all 300+ cards (we don't even have the exact number of different cards avaible) from a ptr database would I believe you about no armor card unfortunatly PTR is not out, game is not finished and all you are doing is speculating. NEXT!

Not sure if this has been mentioned but for the "on your turn you can" part you should consider adding "start of turn" effects activate after draw and when you end turn "end of turn" effects activate.

Quote Originally Posted by Izanami-Okami View Post
    Not sure if this has been mentioned but for the "on your turn you can" part you should consider adding "start of turn" effects activate after draw and when you end turn "end of turn" effects activate.
    Also updated!

thanks alot for the great feedback, I'm taking everything into consideration. remember this is mostly still only a shape much like the game and I'm trying to prevent non-confirmed information in it until we can play or get a list of all card (ptr or final).

If I'm lucky enough to get on the ptr, I will upload videos and possibly a video guide on the gameplay. I was blessed to get into the diablo 3 ptr, I hope I'm lucky enough for this one as I'm completly going crazy over this new game. I have LOTS of wow TCG cards but no one to play with and this game solves the issue :P

Expect a picture explaining ui elements this weekend!

Updated again with the UI picture explaining all of the important elements! Let me know how you guys like it! (can't figure out how to thumbnail it #forum-noob)

Deleted
    Updated again with the UI picture explaining all of the important elements! Let me know how you guys like it! (can't figure out how to thumbnail it #forum-noob)
    Take a look here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...des-collection

Quick guide how to thumbnail pictures from different sites

Also, Great dummie guide