Specs to make LP videos

Hey,

I want to try to get into making LP videos (with a corner of the screen dedicated to my camera). My current system undoubtedly is incapable of handling it. Can anyone give some recommendations as to what kind of specs I should be looking for, if I want to record my screen and make videos at decent fps?

Preferably I'd like to buy a laptop instead of a desktop, because I travel around a lot. Yes yes I know I'll be spending a lot more, but I'm willing to spend it. I know Macs are generally looked down on, but I've heard Macs are good for video-editing, right? So would I be best off getting a Macbook Pro, something like AMAZON DOT COM /Apple-MacBook-MD101LL-13-3-Inch-VERSION/dp/B0074703CM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364297562&sr=8-1&keywords=macbook+pro , or not? If not, what laptop could handle this task?

Thanks.

What do you mean by LP video? No clue what you're referring to.

Anyway, for generic video capture tasks laptops are really awful because those come with low power slow HDDs so you might need to get something custom made based on Clevo. Also what size laptop you want/need and with what kind of battery life, as those will be seriously limiting factors?

Also 2: Macs have absolutely no technical advantage over Windows machines in video editing, those just ship with better free video editor than Windows but you can easily buy better video editor for Windows and still save hundreds of $.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2013-03-26 at 12:34 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Yeah, sorry but no idea what an "lp" video is either so I can't advise anything untill I know what that is.

Sorry, I should've specified. I mean Let's Play videos -- capturing the game while I'm playing it. Battery life wouldn't matter, it'd mostly be plugged in. Size, I don't think I'd mind a 13inch.

Quote Originally Posted by Drogbadodo View Post
    Sorry, I should've specified. I mean Let's Play videos -- capturing the game while I'm playing it. Battery life wouldn't matter, it'd mostly be plugged in. Size, I don't think I'd mind a 13inch.
    Does that mean you want 13" or you're ok with 17"?

Anyway, big problem you have there is that a laptop that can run games at comfortable FPS will be big and heavy, and playing on tiny 13" screen is pure masochism because of the stamp-sized screen. Basically what you want is decent gaming laptop with faster than normal HDD and a webcam that has hardware video compression (not a $20 but $80 cam) and you should be fine.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Would this laptop be alright?

newegg DOT COM /Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152363

MSI GT Series GT70 0ND-491US Notebook Intel Core i7 3630QM(2.40GHz) 17.3" 16GB Memory DDR3 1600 128GB SSD 750GB HDD 7200rpm BD Burner NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX

Free Rosewill 17.3" l

16GB Memory 750GB HDD 128GB SSD
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX
    Windows 8
    BD Burner

I know Macs are generally looked down on, but I've heard Macs are good for video-editing, right?
    Macs are better for video editing if and only if you're using the more advanced professional video editing tools that are only available on Macs.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Macs are better for video editing if and only if you're using the more advanced professional video editing tools that are only available on Macs.
    Nope. See my first reply.

And even when talking of professionals big Hollywood studios use Avid workstations (runs on windows). It's the indie scene and low budget TV production using Macs and Final Cut Pro because it costs 1/10 of Avid's system.

The only thing where Macs have technical advantage over Windows is audio because of better (lower latency) sound driver design, but you can work around that flaw in Windows by using external ASIO hardware. Professionals will have compatible hardware anyway, it's again the indie scene that will benefit from using plain Mac without extra hardware.

Would this laptop be alright?
    Looks fine, but you could get something lot cheaper if you want to, made by Clevo/Sager... From here for example.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2013-03-30 at 06:10 PM.
    Trolling should be.