Poll: Why do you think these classes are not played as much?

Question Least Played Classes

Hey all,

I know that Pallys, Druids, Hunters, and DKs are popular, but what about the other classes? Warrior, Rog, WL, Sha, Monk, Priests, etc. Do you thin they are harder to use? Uninteresting/boring? Underpowered? Etc.

According to Realm Pop, most level cap players don't play Priest or mages, etc.

Your thoughts
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2013-03-27 at 01:24 AM.

Hunters have always had a nice PvP niche and being a physical damage dealer using instants has always helped them. Paladins and Druids are multiclassers to the nth degree neared only by monks, they are new so low numbers is expected, and DKs are the most stable tanks going through the least up and down movements of all I've seen really after their 4.0 changes.

I find fewer and fewer rogues outside of PvP and even then not that many. Outside that most pure classes are dodged because they lack the flexibility that the others offer. Hell even a warrior can do something else when bored of the one role.

For me though the rarest class I see around is usually Shaman. I get the feeling most people feel at odds with the Shaman design ideas.
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.
    Because the very hands that held the stars were now sentenced to wear my scars.

Deleted
    Warrior, Rog, WL, Sha, Monk, etc.
    Can you please deliver statistics and data were we could see that you are right and nobody would like to play them?
    If i look on US Realm POP (which is not a official statistic) i can see that there is a a good distribution between all classes there is not a
    significant difference.

Is it really a question why the Monks havent so much Players right now?
    Okay i will take the data of that website true, first Warriors are not a class that are rar there are in the top classes.

Reason why some classes might be not so high in this statistics:

1. Monks
    Monks are to new.

2. Druids, DK, Warriors, Paladins
    They have several specs and not only as a DD, you can Tank / you can Heal / You can DD and finally you could be a boomie which only task is it to be hilarious (in my opinion :O). What i mean is that this classes are needet more than a pure Damage Dealer, for PVP and for Raids so there will be more players.

3. Mages / Paladins
    Mages are often the beginner class for new people in World of Warcraft. The reason is pretty simple, the first time people log into World of Warcraft they can choose what they like to play. Some use the automatic system and take the suggested character. The other group of people see a lot of Races and Classes and think..hmm i dont know what a monk is, or what is that rougue? I know Mages i saw them in other games and films, would be cool to play a mage *click*, same thing with Paladins,- "Wow a Paladin i saw this in Diablo and other Games would be really cool.

4. Warlocks
    Warlocks are the favorite class oft the moment for damage dealer, many people rerolled from the rogue to the Warlocks because rogues were extremly strong in Dragon Soul and after this on the normal line back.

5. Rogue
    First see (4). Rogues could have lost a lot of players to the monks, if you are interested in this kind of gamplay the monk could be a interesting class and in my opinion many left to the Monks.
    Last edited by mmocb4d5413dc4; 2013-03-27 at 01:10 AM.

Deleted
    For me class distribution looks pretty even in those statistics.

Interesting, PvP vs PvE populations in EU and US:

EU (52% pvp) vs US (40% pvp)
    Last edited by mmocc9639e0326; 2013-03-26 at 11:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Druids and Paladins are popular due to their flexibility. DKs are popular due to them starting at level 55, and because they're "evil" knights.

On the flip side, Monks are brand new, and start at level one. Shaman have low numbers because they haven't changed much in years, and they've been traditionally underpowered. Rogues lack spec diversity, and all 3 specs play shockingly close to one another. I really expect a class overhaul for Shaman and Rogues next expansion. They really need one.

Quote Originally Posted by joepesci View Post
    For me class distribution looks pretty even in those statistics.

Interesting, PvP vs PvE populations in EU and US:

EU (52% pvp) vs US (40% pvp)
    Probably because Americans have watched so many fantasy movies and tv shows (Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, A Song of Fire and Ice, Age of Conan) about heroes (players) saving the world from evil creatures (mobs).
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2013-03-27 at 01:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Probably because Americans have watched so many fantasy movies about heroes (players) saving the world from evil creatures (mobs).
    And the rest of the world doesn't? Not seeing a regional connection there.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Probably because Americans have watched so many fantasy movies about heroes (players) saving the world from evil creatures (mobs).
    Unlikely. EU players have watched the same movies. It does raise very interesting questions about competitiveness. I would have assumed the US to be the one with the most pvp players. I need a case study, now!

Ppl tend to play the easiest and most op champions/heroes. It's the simplest answer. Most of the playerbase will pick FotM classes. Rogues are harder to play than Hunter (just strafe and pewpewpew) or Mage (pewpewpew freeze haha u never touch me) or Paladin (Woohooo I am immortal now and will heal up so I have like double-life) etc.

In their minds:
    Healing?
    Druid -> Priest -> Paladin -> Shaman
    PvP?
    Hunter/Mage -> the rest -> Rogue, DK, Warrior

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jetriot View Post
    Unlikely. EU players have watched the same movies. It does raise very interesting questions about competitiveness. I would have assumed the US to be the one with the most pvp players. I need a case study, now!
    Nearly all well known PvP players are from the EU, the EU has a far more active Arena and RBG environment, the realm pools are arguably harder and so on. It's one of the reasons I can't really take US PvP serious. :|

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    Most of the playerbase will pick FotM classes.
    Most players don't even know what the term FotM means. Most players are underperforming "plays for fun" people who never go to fansites/forums and pick their class based on what's cool. Then, if they find out it's not or it's uninteresting to play, they drop it at low levels and go with something else. Rogues are boring at low levels and pretty much stay that way, imo. They were, as far as I know, one of the least played classes. Can't blame most people.
    Look! Words!

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizz themselves have said that its rogues. To lazy to find a link so feel free not to believe me. Monks are new so most people have leveled them up yet in time there will be way more. DK started at 55 that is why there was so many more at the start of wrath then monks in mop.
    Aye mate

Rogues are underplayed because they're a mind-numbingly boring pure melee DPS which is, as best, middling in every first patch of each expansion, weren't treated well by the new talent system in 5.0/5.1, and they've recently taken a hit because of the new-and-shiny monk.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by jetriot View Post
    It's not limited to WoW, certainly. Even back in the old days of Quake, etc, there always seemed to be bigger, more active competitive scenes with EU clans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AutomaticBadger View Post
    For me though the rarest class I see around is usually Shaman. I get the feeling most people feel at odds with the Shaman design ideas.
    Shammys are currently the second least-played class after rogues, according to Warcraft Realms (which doesn't appear to be tracking monks). I can't help but think that has something to do with the way MoP trashed totems.

I find it a little sad that Monks are nearly beating rogues. I think this just shows that rogues need a little love.

It's also interesting to see how the class popularity changes if you change the restrictions. If you select female characters only Priest jump to #1! and hunters are popular for lower levels.

On a more personal note I feel whenever I play a different character, my LFR, dungeons or battlegrounds are flooded with the class I'm on.