Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Help our Resto Shaman please!

Just looking for some advice on our Resto Shaman, she has been struggling on some of the fights recently and just wondering if anyone could give some insight!

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/yvprvt4mzdjt1s1q/
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/su20gfudacmgzxew/
    She healed Tortos/Megaera on the first link, Durumu/Twins on the second link.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Makcha/simple Looks like she is logged out in fishing gear as of this post

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugz View Post
    Just looking for some advice on our Resto Shaman, she has been struggling on some of the fights recently and just wondering if anyone could give some insight!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Makcha/simple Looks like she is logged out in fishing gear as of this post
    I don't know if she have deliberately been avoiding mastery on her gear and reforging out of it, but she has an alarming low amount of it, in any case she wants about 50% of it.

She seems to be burning mana on Healing surges and seriously not casting nearly enough greater healing waves. If she ends the fights with a lot of mana she is being too conservative with casting during the fight and should considered replacing all her normal healing waves (and those god awful healing surges) with greater healing waves completely.

Her up-time on earthshield seems REALLY bad if sometimes non-existent. Same goes for her riptide healing, she wants to have her riptide HoT running on atleast 2 people at the same time (tanks) 3 if possible, it looks like she only manages to focus on person most of the time.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

and in Elemental spec, so this may not be her full resto gear either Rather be certain then assume. Assumption is the mother of all fuckups.

Purely looking at logs now though, I can see the following.

At the Tortos kill, there are 31 ticks from Healing Stream. Assuming she went for the 3764 haste cap as she is close to it (this is the only thing I safely assume here!), there should be a max of 29 ticks if you perfectly use it on cooldown. So how is that possible? Oo That is ofcourse with the added effect that she has been using Healing Tide there aswell. By the looks of it, it casted only once. Is she using the Call of the Elements talent there? I don't know if you folks use some sort of rotation there, but the HTT can be used a second time aswell. I feel the Restorative Mists is a bit on the low side, but I leave that for people who have more experience in 10-man, I am only good with numbers.

At the Megaera kill, what a low amount of healing on Healing Tide. Oo I noticed that at first and find it a bit odd, seeing as it is our strongest cooldown. But if I look further, it is again only casted once. During a 7 minute fight, you can cast it two times. Even 3 times, but the first time is wasted, so may aswell just stick with two. 49 ticks of Healing Stream while there is a max avaible of 49 ticks, assuming you use it perfectly on cooldown. Again, no idea about the Restorative Mists.

How I calculate the amount of ticks of her Healing Stream is real simple btw. (Length of fight in seconds / 30) * 7 = Amount of ticks it can do maximum. Divide that by 2 aswell as the uptime is 15 seconds and the cooldown is 30 seconds.

So her Healing Stream looks in my eyes perfect. The Tortos one I still find odd though.

At the Durumu Kill, 35 ticks of Healing Stream where a maximum of 47 ticks is possible. Her Healing Tide is only being used once (it heals 5 people and it has 7 ticks, 7*5 = 35 for anyone wondering by now). During a nearly 7 minute fight, I would assume you would have 2 dark phases. Unless you were extremely lucky with all the damage going on, I'd say she could use that more. It seems as though she is a bit hesitant in using it. No Ascendence either.

At the Twin Consorts kill (my favorite fight in ToT so far :3), 61 ticks of Healing Stream where 69 is a max amount avaiable. Healing Tide has been cast two times, though I'd say you can probably use that three times. I find the Restorative Mists really low, is it really that bad for 10-mans? Oo? I don't actually know what the full range is, I thought it was something like 20 yards, it can't be something like Chain Heal.

Well, that's my numbering done. So her Healing Stream seems good, which is usually the biggest problem when it comes to these kind of topics. She is a bit hesitant in using Healing Tide though. No idea how Ascendence works in 10-man, though I find it particulary low on the Megaera fight. She didn't used it at all though during the Durumu kill even.

No pot useage btw! :O I see that! Tsss, I'm disappointed
    Much love to Indicate for creating. Eis' work

@sisk

As I mentioned, she did log out in fishing gear, so that is probably the cause of her low mastery :P.

Thanks for the other tips though, I'll bring that to her attention.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sisk View Post
    I don't know if she have deliberately been avoiding mastery on her gear and reforging out of it, but she has an alarming low amount of it, in any case she wants about 50% of it.
    It's not really alarming if she has a fishing pole equipped, a fishing hat and in elemental spec. At least count 8% extra mastery as resto shamans base mastery = 24% while elem sham = 16%. I think she'll be between 45% and 50% mastery, so that is good.

Deleted
    Yeah but she has her 3 set healing tier and her healing trinkets equipped so my assumption was that the rest probably also belonged to her healing set, ofc i might be wrong and it's a elemental set but then again all the crit she reforged to is the worst stat for elemental but still just a guess.

The base mastery for a lvl 90 resto shaman with 3000 mastery buff is 39% it takes 600 stats to reach 1 point of mastery.

She has roughly 1600 mastery rating on the gear in the link which then turns out to be less then 3 points putting her at 41% so unless she has something like 5000 combined mastery rating on her weapon and head she is no where near the 50%

There could be a lot of reasons why the gear she has equipped is not her normal healing gear, but if it is, i thought i would just mention it as something to keep an eye on, she seems to be massively reforging into crit, and it's not often advised to do so before you have your mastery covered, it could ofc be her personal playstyle choice, but then again you are here because you think she is under-preforming.
    Last edited by mmoc90319c550b; 2013-03-27 at 04:58 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schadow View Post
    How I calculate the amount of ticks of her Healing Stream is real simple btw. (Length of fight in seconds / 30) * 7 = Amount of ticks it can do maximum. Divide that by 2 aswell as the uptime is 15 seconds and the cooldown is 30 seconds.
    Your healing stream math is wrong, when you divide the lenght of the fight in seconds by 30 you get the amount of healing streams, so you time that with 7 or whatever it was, and then you have the result of what it should be, no dividing to be done. So in this case the healing stream usage is actually really terrible.
    An easy fix would be to make a weakaura/poweraura/whateveryouuse, that lets you know when Healing Stream is usable, and just plant in it in the middle of the screen or something along those lines. That should help a bit, and if mana all of a sudden starts to become an issue cause of the fact that she might spend double as much mana on totems, just go with Totemic Recall glyph and then its all free, succes!

10+ Year Old Account
    Her mastery values aren't the problem if you ask me. I've gone as low as 42% percent these days in favour of heavy crit and the 3764 haste breakpoint. 42% or 45% mastery don't make or break a fight. Spell usage, reaction time, mana management and dealing with movement as well as you can make or break an encounter.

She could use Spiritwalker's Grace for heavy-movement encounters, especially during Ascendance. I found that it yields rather good results when you can use Ascendance to its fullest, not having to care about moving cutting your heals.

On Megaera, another HTT would have been possible. Her Ascendance seems kind of wasted what with 70% overheal though. It's like there isn't enough incoming damage to warrant the use of her CDs.

On Tortos, she's entirely outclassed by your druid who can AoE-heal while merrily jumping around and whose HoTs tick away happily during the Stomp stun. It might be an idea to let her focus on the tanks and help out on the raid as needed. My Ascendances (macroed with spiritwalker's grace) on Tortos usually do ~750k each with the raid not making an effort at helping me maximising it (face it, people are busy avoiding rockfalls, you can't make them clump up), but I get a BoP during the Stomp that I'm supposed to use my Ascendance for, so I can already start casting before the rest of the raid gets stunned and damaged. That's an advantage that your shamy doesn't have.

On Durumu... I'll tell you how I do it, and it's actually an encounter that I'm feeling comfortable with healing this tier. I usually throw my Healing Tide towards the end of a colour spectrum phase when damage ramps up. And my Spirit Link goes out when the Disintegration Beam starts to move and people might get a few unlucky ticks from crap. Ascendance when it feels necessary, macroed with Spiritwalker's Grace whenever standing still isn't an option. Healing Stream on CD (in the kill log she seems to not have a very good uptime on that one).

For Twins, I can only say: More HST please! Can't say much else because I was on constellation duty for our first kill because 3 healers seemed a bit too much but my CDs were nice to have, and since I knew constellation stuff from PTR, I did it. (Constellations are FUN!). We'll probably 2-heal it this week though and teach a dps how to connect the dots ^^

Oh and... your druid is a beast! Aside from him having better mobility and being just better suited for such icky shaman encounters like twins, it's like he's outclassing any of your other healers. Still, your shamy needs work. She shouldn't be so far behind a druid, even when encounters aren't favourable for shamans. Is it possible that she's not very familiar with the "rhythm" of the encounters in ToT yet and as such not yet fully comfortable healing them and not yet so secure in knowing when she can stand still and cast for a moment before moving on?

I see nothing really wrong with her using HS over GHW though if her mana can support it. Seeing as the HPS of HS is higher than that of GHW and that an AA proc is likely to happen and land on someone who needs a heal... on the other hand, she's wearing T14-2pc so her GHW is cheaper... Personally, I threw T14 set-bonuses away as fast I could because non-set pieces were simply better and the set bonuses didn't actually DO anything. I wasn't glad that I had them. I AM happy with T15-2pc though. That's one that's worth wearing.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelia View Post
    Your healing stream math is wrong, when you divide the lenght of the fight in seconds by 30 you get the amount of healing streams, so you time that with 7 or whatever it was, and then you have the result of what it should be, no dividing to be done. So in this case the healing stream usage is actually really terrible.
    Why? If you divide it by 30 seconds, you take the cooldown. Yet Healing Stream has only an uptime of 15 seconds. How do you calculate the other 15 seconds? It can't tick in that time. So you can not count those ticks.

---------- Post added 2013-03-27 at 12:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Seriss View Post
    I AM happy with T15-2pc though. That's one that's worth wearing.
    I am jealous.

Thank you guys for all the tips, this should help her out a lot!

I have never played a Sham and don't claim to have a big idea of how they heal, but Unleashed Life seems like it should be used more than 8 times on Megaera, no?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you guys for all the tips, this should help her out a lot!

I have never played a Sham and don't claim to have a big idea of how they heal, but Unleashed Life seems like it should be used more than 8 times on Megaera, no?
    Depending on the positioning, I'd say that 8 times sounds like the amount of Rampage times you have (or was it 7?), so she put an unleash life in combination with a healing rain just before rampage starts blasting. So it's not bad.

I have no idea how much important Unleash Life is w/o Healing Rain in 10-man, though I believe it isn't that much of a difference as it's more bound to overheal.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no idea how much important Unleash Life is w/o Healing Rain in 10-man, though I believe it isn't that much of a difference as it's more bound to overheal.
    I can only speak for myself, but I basically never use HR without unleashing first. I do make ample use of UE during movement too. So... HR never without UE, but UE without HR when you feel you need to. ^^

Just found a log for Primordius if you guys can find anything else for her to work on from this-

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=2855&e=3304

Not our most clean kill obviously :P

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriss View Post
    I can only speak for myself, but I basically never use HR without unleashing first. I do make ample use of UE during movement too. So... HR never without UE, but UE without HR when you feel you need to. ^^
    hmm, on the rampage part, I do actually, as UE has a 15 second cooldown and HR 10 seconds and rampage lasts 20 seconds. But that is pretty much the only time I make that exception tbh.

---------- Post added 2013-03-27 at 06:55 PM ----------

Just found a log for Primordius if you guys can find anything else for her to work on from this-

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=2855&e=3304

Not our most clean kill obviously :P
    She used Healing Tide 3 times, which is for a fight of 7 and a half minutes quite good. You are missing the 5% spell haste buff btw, not the one from Ancestral Swiftness, but the one that is raid wide. This makes her loose out of 3 ticks of Healing Tide, which counts for 15 ticks total. That is quite a lot, considering it's her strongest spell usage.

38 healing stream ticks where there was a max possible of 44. So that is not bad.

Restorative Mists 60070 0.3 %
    I heal more in a single Greater Heal only buffed with Earthliving Weapon on me. What went wrong there?

Dramatic news, as I can see from the logs, only 18 hits from Earth Shield. That is dramatic low. Like really low. Unless the logs really fucked up, that is some serious bad news. As we do more healing with our Healing Wave on the earth shielded target and if it procs, they get a small, but lifesaving, heal. If she has problems with tracking Earth Shield, let her try an addon called ShieldsUp. It's what I use, it's lightweight and it tracks both Water and Earth Shield.

Her riptide uptime is 07:02 while the fight lasted 07:29. So it must have dropped off here and there.

Primordius is a constant movement fight btw, so it's not bound to give great numbers. But I wonder what was up with that Ascendence. And that Earth Shield really seems bad.

@Schadow.

Thanks again for the input.

She did have the haste buff for 72.7% of the fight(Energizing Spores), our hunter had his pet but died part way through the fight. I've mentioned Earth Shield to her before, but I'll bring up the addon this time and we'll see if that helps!

more feedback

So I don't know if you are familiar with Comparebot but it can help diagnose some issues quickly.

Go to raid bots and look up compare bot. ( I can't post links yet, not enough posts)

Take her parse, look at some other WOL top parses (WOL - Rankings - TOT -> Healing -> specific fight-> 10m N, choose resto shams from the top to isolate only shamans) (note that these usually come from 2 healers - not 3).

I picked a random shaman in the top 100 to compare to. Make sure you go to the WOL of the kill and click into that specific shaman you want to compare to when you are running compare bot.

Big things standing out - No spiritwalkers grace. Primordius can be very movement intensive. This should be used MUCH more often.

Chain heal usage seems low. With the melee being pretty grouped in the same area for this, that can be used more often.

As Schadow mentioned - Ascendance usage was very poor. Not only was it only 60k, but it was 95% overheals. This should be timed better with acidic explosions as there is a lot of raid damage from those especially as people group up.

Ancestral Awakening - this is really low. These come from crits. If healing rain is not hitting targets or (esp in 10m) you are not riptide +healing wave or greater healing wave, you are not going to be getting much return from this.

I see no glyph of healing wave usage. While this can be situational I find it a very useful glyph as i should not have to heal myself. I can healing wave other targets and get myself to full from the glyph's heals.

Damage taken is very high. I would check her positioning on this one. Since she is getting hit with acidic explosion I would guess she may be hanging in melee range - at the very least too close to others. Either hang on the outside of melee and trail behind/wide of them or find a spot central and dodge the other ranged.

Resurgence is low - again this is based off crit - see ancestral awakening comment above.

~Elektrical - US Skullcrusher
    Last edited by vuur; 2013-03-27 at 07:35 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    @Schadow.

Thanks again for the input.

She did have the haste buff for 72.7% of the fight(Energizing Spores), our hunter had his pet but died part way through the fight. I've mentioned Earth Shield to her before, but I'll bring up the addon this time and we'll see if that helps!
    I see no hunter at all in your log. At least not on your kill attempt, which is what I'm looking at. So she did not had it. Note that I am looking at this particular log: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=2855&e=3304

@Vuur, does the parse also take the length into account? Spiritwalker's Grace depends on how you do tactics, some prefer healers stand in melee, some put healers in the middle.

I do agree with her Chain Heal usage. Damage taken is for melee higher then for ranged, particulary with the Gas Bladder.

Ancestral Awakening does not proc from Healing Rain.

Glyph of Healing Wave is bound to overheal and if she lacks mana, she is better off with Glyph of Water Shield and Glyph of Totemic Recall in this particular fight. But she took a lot of damage, so it would help her in this case. This is what I don't get either, she took more damage then the melee, she is standing wrong, I believe.

Schadow The one I looked at was 10s different in kill length. That's one of the big things I try and normalize when running compare bot.

I used current shaman rank #29 Smos - Shade of Arrows 07:39 min fight for the compare.

Ancestral Awakening does not proc from Healing Rain.--> typed too fast, you are correct.

@Schadow.

If you go to damage done our hunter is there. I can assure you we had the haste buff for 72% of the fight

Deleted
    Why? If you divide it by 30 seconds, you take the cooldown. Yet Healing Stream has only an uptime of 15 seconds. How do you calculate the other 15 seconds? It can't tick in that time. So you can not count those ticks.
    Every 30 second period you can get out, lets say 7, healing stream ticks regardless of the uptime in this 30 second period, so its just a simple calculation, the amount of 30 second periods in the fight, times the amount of ticks your totem would do. Its really that simple, im confused about how you got into all that dividing and uptime and all that. Its not gonna be a 100% accurate result, but its close enough to get a grasp of how well the totem is being utilized.