Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    There's several things that killed wpvp. Dishonorable kills is not really one of them.

1. Queues for everything you want to do. You hardly ever have to move out into the real world. In vanilla I knew where every instance was located because you actually had to move there to do the instance. Now I don't even know where 99% of the instances is actually located. You just queue up for it with one mouseclick.
    2. Flying mounts to avoid conflict while leveling and questing.
    3. Guards that stun/dismount/web/stun/stun/stun/silence/stun in cities and quest hubs.
    4. The addition of PvP gear which excluded the PvE'ers from any meaningful PvP.

Just face it, world PvP is something you often engage in because you are forced due to the circumstances/situation. These situations occur less and less because of the reasons above. Players will only very rarely go out and search for those situations, you have to force the players into those situations.
    Last edited by mmocfafac1b51e; 2013-03-27 at 08:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    psst..
    it was battlegrounds with rewards that killed world pvp

k bye
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    IMO, the biggest issues with WPvP are:

1. Server faction imbalances
    2. Lack of meaningful bonuses/impact on the zone for participating
    3. Flying mounts
    4. Battleground queues and not having to queue up at the zone in

Quote Originally Posted by Kcin14 View Post
    Well I think its George Bush's fault
    ur both wrong its kalgans fault cause he made arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    What really killed world PVP is that it sucks so nobody wants to do it.
    Moreso that there is no reward. Without a reward vast majority of the players would rather not deal with it. Honor isn't really considered a reward here as you can just go farm BG's for that or do certain quests/dailies.

10+ Year Old Account
    What killed world PvP is Blizzard's inability to balance its server populations. World PvP thrived when you knew just as many Allies as Hordies had an equal chance of showing up to defend hostile actions. Then slowly, server balances began to shift and now you have what we see on just about every server... either Horde or Alliance domination and the opposing faction doesn't even try or give a shit because they know that for every one of them, the other side can sit around like a bunch of punks summoning reinforcements.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    psst..
    it was battlegrounds with rewards that killed world pvp

k bye
    I completely agree. Before BG's we would sit at Tauren Mills and pvp for hours on end. It was amazing. We would even be civil sometimes and form big circles and have our own Arena style battles. This was when pvp was in its golden age imo because it was in its purest form.

Obviously it was PvE Realms that killed WPvP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Server imbalance definitely killed WPvP. I can see why people say flying mounts are one of the causes but there's no chance that Blizzard will remove flying mounts. The people who say ''sign this petition to get flying mounts removed the game'' are just complaining for the sake of complaining.

In my opinion, I feel like there are few factors that go into the death of world pvp and cannot be answered by just one factor.

1)community. you pvp'd with your friends that you met. with the intro of cross server this practically eliminated it. I mean it did bring pvp to lower population but its not the same type of world pvp in vanilla. All there is now is just ganking while someone is doing dailies. Back then you had "3.Local Defense" and depending on the population people actually responded to help. Also, guilds were more intimate than before. People in guilds helped each other. With the advent of more dailies and more things to do in WoW, there's hardly leeway or free time for those who grind to help others. Guildies back then were not just "healer, tank" in the guild.

2)flying mounts- You traveled through the pvp or would stop to help others if you saw them in trouble with other factions. flying mounts removed this. However, there only limited world pvp by a certain amount. There was a ton of pvp during TBC halaa days and shadowmoon valley and orgrilla questing

3)too much effort now. world pvp was rampant back in the early days. even though it took like 15-30 minutes to go to the hot spots, you still did for the fun. now that people are more occupied, and less world pvp, why spend 15 minutes to travel to places like stranglethorn vale or southshore or halaa when other 90's may not even be there?

Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    What killed world PvP is Blizzard's inability to balance its server populations.
    And how do you propose to do that? Force people to move servers every week to keep things balanced? It's not Blizzard's fault that it's like this, it's the players'. Just look at what happens to the side of any server where a top guild (Ensidia and the likes) settle down... Within a week it's 95% populated on that side and 5% on the other. What do you expect Blizzard to do about that?

World PVP died because of:
    * Flying Mounts
    * new escape abilitys

I never understand why people say server population imbalances, gear or player skill matters in world pvp.

YOU set the time => AFK? No one cares
    YOU set the place => Quest area? No one cares
    YOU set the balance => Zerg vs 1? No one cares

There is no solution. No way back to vanilla world pvp.
    If you remove flying mounts, remove escape abilitys, remove stealth abilitys and chain root/cc mechanics you still have the worst problem unsolved:

====>>>> classes with tankmechanics / resilience / selfheal

5.0 Arms Warriors with deffstance / resilience / second wind => Prot Warriors unkillable for melee
    5.2 Unholy DK's with blood presence / resilience / conversion => Blood DK's unkillable for melee
    5.3 ??? Brewmaster Monks ??? the return of the Guardian Druids in pvp ???
    -

World PvP is one of those rose colored glasses things from Vanilla that will never return like it was. Flying mounts, PvP gear, the mountain of new abilities and escapes, the abundance of different instanced PvP venues -- all things that people have covered 100,000's of times.

One of the biggest reasons is it's a different kind of player these days. WoW players in Vanilla were a far more "group play" breed of player than who plays the game now. They came from games like EQ, UO, DAoC and many more which were by far more grindy than WoW ever was. In fact the thing about WoW was that it was pretty much one of the first MMOs where you could reach level cap while playing alone. Those players were used to playing and questing in groups, used to protecting eachother and defending other people around them -- just how you did in the older MMO's. Aside from the things that people like to reminisce like EPL (before they put the towers in), Tarren Mill, Kazzak etc, most of the PvP was groups of 5 questing running in to another group of 5 or people camping dungeon entrances and summoning stones. The entrance to Strath/Scholo/Maraudon or BRD could be more brutal than the dungeon itself.

I'm genralising here, but the average WoW player these days is playing their first MMO. They played the game alone for large parts, leveled alone or with one friend, have queues to get everywhere, haven't entered many 5 man dungeons via their real entrances and are used to having a tonne of abilities and escapes. Sure they may enjoy world PvP on occasion but unless magic changes have happened since I cancelled my sub a few months ago the large majority of people would still run past any form of PvP unless it was overbalanced in their factions favor. They just want to get on with what they're doing while they wait for their queues to pop.

I'm not saying either type of player is better than the other. It's just a very different kind of player that plays this game these days. Combine that with a very different Azeroth and ways of getting around it, you'll never see it "go back to how it used to be". It's just not possible.
    Last edited by spoon77; 2013-03-27 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phuongvi View Post
    Hey, everyone knows flying mounts killed wpvp

please sign the petition to remove flying mounts out of the game
    Don't touch my damn flying mounts. just make it so after attacking a player you can't fly away for 5 minutes.
    and make more items like the turtle shell or bring back knockback dismounting.

Flying mounts killed world pvp.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcstunner View Post
    i still blame the buffed up guards. wotlk was going, everything was pretty good, people raided the crossroads on an hourly basis and the horde defended it and it was a huge fun time. everyone loved it, even the lowbies. then the cata prepatch hit and 85 guards started popping up when they tried to raid and that's when everyone stopped, and never started back. that's how it happened on my realm, anyway.
    Guards are easymode since MoP bro, at lvl 85 i could even solo them easily, at 90 it's just a facerole, they do 2k dmg out of your 400k..
    Guards aint the problem, i think flying mounts are, people fly away when they are in danger instead of fighting back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Guards are easymode since MoP bro, at lvl 85 i could even solo them easily, at 90 it's just a facerole, they do 2k dmg out of your 400k..
    Guards aint the problem, i think flying mounts are, people fly away when they are in danger instead of fighting back.
    Flying mounts are not a problem. They are the solution to get away from the overgeared retards. Fight back? I wonder why I have NEVER been attacked by someone with at least similar gear, and only overgeared morons that killed me in 3 seconds while I was fighting some mob. Is it just a coincidence that almost no-one attacks me now? I think not. It is a coincidence that if I log a new level 90 alt, he's attacked by almost all? I bet not. I'm sure the great world PvP heroes are checking the health "uh, this one has 290k haha he's mine 10 hp haha"

10+ Year Old Account
    Flying mounts didn't kill anything but travel time.

Quote Originally Posted by Drfireburns View Post
    Flying mounts didn't kill anything but travel time.
    Yes they did.

Consider following scenario:

You level your little alt and some random 90 one shots you. This is repeated about 2-3 times until you decide to kick his sorry ass and log on your main.

When you come to the crime scene, the fucker hovers high above ground, probably making stupid emotes and all different kinds of shit, except for landing and letting you get your revenge.

Then you either do something different, or you log back on your alt to do what you actually wanted to do and rez. What happens? Yes, the ganker strikes again, swoops down on you and kills you once more.

Now "back then", it was only rogues and druids who were invincible to those who would want to get their revenge on them, but now? Any little cunt can ruin your day, isn't that cool?! (inb4 "ruining a day cause of ganking" - yes, it does, not as much as when your mom dies or something like that, but the fact that some bastard has some kind of strange pleasure from abusing you and preventing you from doing what you want to do does)

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    What really killed world PVP is that it sucks so nobody wants to do it.
    this, the moment organized pvp was released all the peoples moved to bg, then arena and rbg. Or the op with wpvp actually mean ganking lowbie in strangletorn?
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.