Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Rift is very likely way too Western for Korea. Which is totally different from Japan and China markets, by the way.
    What do you mean by this? I have heard of different MMO styles, but never understood how they differed.

I am not surprised. It is sad news, though. But Rift is too "ugly" and "modest" for Korean games.

That ^ is too plain and boring when you compare it to:

That ^. Rift females are too clothed. And the weapons are too small. So I am not really surprised that Rift failed in Korea (kinda like most Korean games fail over here)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Klutzington View Post
    What do you mean by this? I have heard of different MMO styles, but never understood how they differed.
    I dont know, read something about it in this forum a couple of months or so ago... that in Korea Rift would become f2p up to lvl 50... or perhaps it was lvl 49, that players only had to pay for "endgame" content. And it seems strange that they had to close it down after that... I can only imagine Rift pvp at lvl 49 or 50 with only players with restrictions on gear and so on fighting eachother... must be a success =)

---------- Post added 2013-03-29 at 09:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    I am not surprised. It is sad news, though. But Rift is too "ugly" and "modest" for Korean games.

That ^. Rift females are too clothed. And the weapons are too small. So I am not really surprised that Rift failed in Korea (kinda like most Korean games fail over here)
    Matter of taste ofc =) I personally love Rift character design, they made their women more "normal" looking than most other mmos. It gave a more mature feel of the game, together with their game design overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Matter of taste ofc =) I personally love Rift character design, they made their women more "normal" looking than most other mmos. It gave a more mature feel of the game, together with their game design overall.
    Oh, I agree. I much prefer the look of Rift's characters over anything out of Korea (plus GW2, other than the Charr). I like anime, and it works alright for single player games (to me), but I just can't get into an MMORPG that has that character look to it, and I just don't know why.

I disagree with the reasoning that Rift failed in Korea because it didn't look pretty enough with revealing clothes. Rift lacked any sort of real competitive vibe to it (compared with other competing MMOs in their market), that's why it failed. League of Legends is still the #1 played online game over there last I checked, and while it's not an MMO, skimpy clothing is not what makes that game popular I can assure you.

Maybe if they made the elf races super anime pretty or added boob size sliders, Rift would gain popularity there. You can already fight in your undies, so what gives?

..Okay Im still buttmad about how disappointing and stupid Tera turned out to be.