Poll: Would you like 2 or more night cycles in WoW during a single day?

2-3 Night Cycles in WoW

So to be honest, I am surprised I've never seen this brought up. If it has, I've still never seen this topic around. But here goes.

Recently, I've been following the features present in the Elder Scrolls Online, and one of the features that stood out for me was the 3 Night Cycles present in the game. Sure it isn't a "big" feature, but something this small adds a lot to the game. Its the smallest things in WoW that most of us fell in love with when we first got into it.

So what does this mean then? Basically, time in game isn't going to be in real time like 1:1 to time in the real world as in WoW. If anyone has played Skyrim or any of the Elder Scrolls RPGs you would understand what I mean. However, Skyrim and the other RPGS usually have it set to 20:1 in the game world by default, so time flies by faster. However, its going to be similar but a bit more slower, more like 3:1. So you get to enjoy 3 cycles of night in a 24 hours period - a day on Earth.

So I was wondering if something like this could be implemented in WoW. I have always enjoyed myself questing under a dark sky or during the night. I still remember my early days playing WoW, questing through Westfall and Redridge Mountains under a black sky with stars shinning. However, these days or recently, I've often not been able to play the game during the nights and miss these moments.

I think a similar approach to the Elder Scrolls would allow even the day players to enjoy nights more often. This way it adds a lot to the game. It can be quite immersion breaking thinking about it on a RP realm to actually travel from one corner of Azeroth to another on a gryphon in a few mins.
    Last edited by Ebonheart; 2013-03-27 at 12:26 PM.

I'm not sure if I would enjoy it. While it is nice playing with a different atmosphere, it also nice logging in at a time and knowing exactly if it is dark or night. Although players probably do spend alot less time in the dark due to raiding.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    While i'd like time to be more noticeable (darker nights, harder to move around), I'd rather it be on par with a 24 hour clock. I play normal Australian Times on a US server. The consistency is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldscar View Post
    While i'd like time to be more noticeable (darker nights, harder to move around), I'd rather it be on par with a 24 hour clock. I play normal Australian Times on a US server. The consistency is nice.
    Umm...well consistency is nice. But it keeps things less predictable. And I am pretty sure once people got use to it, they would tell what times of day or night it would be in the game world.

I have played skyrim and wow. I loved both games. But I wouldn't want a quicker cycle in wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep the cycling how it is, i do think night should be much darker, go to westfall at night, it's to bright..
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

There is a day/night cycle in WoW? :O And it's synced to world time? Never noticed that :O
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    It would be nice since some rare events/spawns only happen during certain points in the day and it would be nice for them to be available without having to play in the middle of the night when you have a day job, etc...

However, there's always weekends and stuff. It really hasn't been *that* big a deal so far, and most things in WoW are once every 2-3 hours for the time based events anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionspride View Post
    Keep the cycling how it is, i do think night should be much darker, go to westfall at night, it's to bright..
    Wouldn't call it night, more like a clouded day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebonheart View Post
    But it keeps things less predictable.
    If they want to make things unpredictable its not going to be though a faster day and night cycle. It needs to be though world interactions.

I would prefer a more dynamic world tbh. Dark nights, different weather cycles, seasons. Things like that.

Deleted
    No. Definitely not. Despite the fact that this becomes incredibly problematic for anyone that roleplays, it really hampers immersion. One of the reasons I gave up on GW2 was the feeling of disconnect from the world due to their differing time cycles.

As a few others have pointed out, WoW definitely needs to be darker at night.

Deleted
    would be a really nice addition

Quote Originally Posted by Miatela View Post
    No. Definitely not. Despite the fact that this becomes incredibly problematic for anyone that roleplays, it really hampers immersion. One of the reasons I gave up on GW2 was the feeling of disconnect from the world due to their differing time cycles.

As a few others have pointed out, WoW definitely needs to be darker at night.
    How does it feel a disconnection from the world? Honestly, I just feel that people are so use to what we have currently they are not sure about something different.

In fact as a RP myself, I don't think it becomes any problematic for RP. There isn't going to be a random cycle during a day. Its going to be a fixed cycle. So lets say it would be night during afternoons in the real world everyday and every month and every year. It wouldn't be different every day. And if you think it hampers immersion, how would you rationalize completing an entire zone of quests in 30 mins including all the travelling and fighting and resting.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by luccadeo View Post
    I would prefer a more dynamic world tbh. Dark nights, different weather cycles, seasons. Things like that.
    it rains in STV snows in storm peaks and there are some more things but weather cycles are there

Something I would like to see is more dynamic lighting. By that I mean: I wish we could have personal light sources at night, and the nights to be darker.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

What I'd really like is a more visually dramatic/distinct nighttime cycle.