Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Could this game be a reasonabe "E-sport"?

Well, card games aren't exactly e-sports...but my question is, could this game turn out with diffrent sets of leagues like starcraft and have a reasonable e-sport scene with tournaments and whatnot? Ofcourse, keeping your decks in secret could be harder than keeping your SC2 strategies to yourself, but the question still stands.

Deleted
    By something like MLG level e-sports? Heh, no.

It is not fast enough to hold interest for viewers. Like it or not, its about getting people who dont play the game watch it and be intrested.
    It could have massive tournaments online by fans - thats about it. Some streams with shoutcasts..sure. But that could be done to any game.

SC2 is popular because its simple for new viewers. Man builds army, kills other army. LoL has huge playerbase to begin with so the viewers come from there too.

Street fighters and other games like that are hardly viewed in comparison and even they got huge events like EVO.

Unless blizzard forcefully makes it E-sports. Its about their involvement too. And seeing they have SC2 and soon maybe Blizz all-stars.. getting this to mix wouldnt make much sense

Deleted
    yeah I can't see this becoming an e-sport, look how huge Yu-Gi-Oh was, yes it had tournaments (i won one!), but it was never big enough to be televised or streamed.

MTG has some streamed events but I doubt Hearthstone will get that treatment.

MTG players will look down on Hearthstone and it will become a "LoL vs Dota".

10+ Year Old Account
    OP, think Rage of Bahamut, but tied into WoW lore as well as probably the game in some regards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrybathtub View Post
    MTG players will look down on Hearthstone and it will become a "LoL vs Dota".
    I think that developement is inevitable regardless of e-sport status. Whenever 2 games are in the same market there's going to be rabid fans and trolls looking to put 1 side down and glorify the other.

On the topic of e-sports, I don't think card games have enough visually interesting things going on or enough potential drama for the world at large. People interested in the game will like seeing events, but outside of that circle I don't think it will break out. Mostly due to lack of action I think (even when this game has a pretty visualy stimulating way of doing things compared to other card games).

Who knows if it'll get that big but I think it definitely has potential!

I wished Blizzard used a different kind of animation though - like Might&Magic or Final Fantasy, where units are actual models and do combat animations - instead of just cards animating. Still look awesome though!
    Hearthston Playerswww.hearthstoneplayers.com Updates everyday! Featuring the latest articles, news and strategies! Twitter @hearth_players

It doesnt seem that exciting to watch

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonticus View Post
    yeah I can't see this becoming an e-sport, look how huge Yu-Gi-Oh was, yes it had tournaments (i won one!), but it was never big enough to be televised or streamed.
    Yeah indeed, but yu-gi-oh wasn't so easy to understand, the cards played didnt have much visual effect on what they did, and for a person not very familiar with it, it was very hard to tell what a certain card does.

Blizzard tough made it a lot more easier to watch, in fact, when i watched that match being played by the warlock against the druid, i did understand why certain things happened, wich is crucial.

10+ Year Old Account
    Magic the gathering have an online version. i saw some stream of it. But it's not entertaining enough to be an e-sport. And let me tell you the tournament games usually don't last long. Not as long as when i used to play magic with my friends.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazomir View Post
    Yeah indeed, but yu-gi-oh wasn't so easy to understand, the cards played didnt have much visual effect on what they did, and for a person not very familiar with it, it was very hard to tell what a certain card does.

Blizzard tough made it a lot more easier to watch, in fact, when i watched that match being played by the warlock against the druid, i did understand why certain things happened, wich is crucial.
    excellent points, I can see what you mean there. Now i has a stupid

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I think that developement is inevitable regardless of e-sport status. Whenever 2 games are in the same market there's going to be rabid fans and trolls looking to put 1 side down and glorify the other.

On the topic of e-sports, I don't think card games have enough visually interesting things going on or enough potential drama for the world at large. People interested in the game will like seeing events, but outside of that circle I don't think it will break out. Mostly due to lack of action I think (even when this game has a pretty visualy stimulating way of doing things compared to other card games).
    MtG have big tournaments with great prizes. And theres alot people around this events.

But I think heartstone is not that type of card game. MtG have much more depth (hard to explain this for me with my poor english) and people dont care here about spell/card visual effects, only what matters are mechanics and cards wording. Heartstone looks much more casualy (its not bad thing).

So I think eSport for card game is possible but not for Heartstone (again dont take this as offence, I really like how heartstone look and I will play this).

Quote Originally Posted by Kagdar View Post
    Magic the gathering have an online version. i saw some stream of it. But it's not entertaining enough to be an e-sport. And let me tell you the tournament games usually don't last long. Not as long as when i used to play magic with my friends.
    Depends what you mean when saying "entertaining". For me eSport is not about flashy visual effects and cool graphics. And most viewers at esports tournaments know atleast basic rules (talking not only about MtG) so they know what they are watching.
    Last edited by Mamut; 2013-03-27 at 07:13 PM.

Too boring to become an E-sport, there has to be a reason to watch them after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    It doesnt seem that exciting to watch
    You're crazy. The gameplay video on their FB page was really engaging, and I don't think the players really knew what they were doing. Seeing both sides would have ramped up the excitement even more.

EDIT: To clarify, I don't think it will ever be a legit esport. However, it'll be fun to watch streams or shoutcasts, and some small-scale tournaments might show up. Maybe we'll see a beta tournament at Blizzcon this year.
    Last edited by Squirl; 2013-03-27 at 09:59 PM.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazomir View Post
    Well, card games aren't exactly e-sports...but my question is, could this game turn out with diffrent sets of leagues like starcraft and have a reasonable e-sport scene with tournaments and whatnot? Ofcourse, keeping your decks in secret could be harder than keeping your SC2 strategies to yourself, but the question still stands.
    I really can't see it.

It appears to be VERY causal, fast paced and (overly?) simplistic. Not a combination that holds up well for an e-sport. I've no doubt I'll be fun to play.

EJL

10+ Year Old Account
    Just came across this in an interview some Devs did:

We've already heard in your interview with Polygon that you're open to embracing e-sports if the scene develops in the community, have you left yourself room to easily build in e-sports features like observation mode, replays, and chat channels?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Chayes: Yeah, absolutely. Technically, the way it's been implemented definitely gives us that flexibility. The real question, in terms of maybe answering what you're asking as well, is do we have the capacity on the team to do this? I think that's sort of a big open question, we kind of want to see what the response looks like from the community as we move through the next two phases of finishing up our internal alpha, going to a closed beta, and then out to the public.

We have the ability to go down an e-sports path but we need to make sure that's the set of features that we think the players are looking for. There's a lot of different things we could do and we want to make sure the things we're choosing feel like the right ones to add to the game. We'd love to go down the e-sports path, we think Hearthstone really speaks well to e-sports, but we want to see how things evolve before we do that.
    source: http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/03/25/in...he-developers/

I think they could take a lot from pre-existing online card game services like duelingnetwork (which includes options to watch matches etc.).

As far as I know thats one of the biggest online services which would be similar to hearthstone (although I'd imagine hearthstone will dwarf it in no time, i think they only have like 100k active users or something) so it would be smart to compare the problems they've overcome since launch and get past those early.

People talk about "e-sports" like it's some kind of huge deal, but all it means is: do enough people like it that it gets streamed a lot?

We'll have to wait and see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    People talk about "e-sports" like it's some kind of huge deal, but all it means is: do enough people like it that it gets streamed a lot?

We'll have to wait and see.
    I don't know if thats an accurate definition. e-sports to me means outside money is going into publicizing the games as you would a sport, whether that's through live events, streaming or actual TV time like starcraft gets in korea. It also potentially means sponsors and the such which are generally associated with something being more "professional" as an activity.

Deleted
    If Heathstone was an online version of the current tcg then maybe, but since it's simplified I don't think so.

Then again... Card games have a pro scene (though not a spectator one) so maybe, but it won't be big :P