Page 1 of 2
LastLast

do you judge someone based on what you heard of them?

Someone says to you, oh this guy is bad he does this and this. Later on you meet this guy. In your head you are thinking, wow this is the guy that has done this and this. How awful. Of course you don't ask them about it, it's rude. All said and done and you label him as bad. Never think of it again.

Do you change your mind? Do you have second thoughts about said person? Perhaps it was just a lie, or not a lie but something that they heard from another source. Do you feel it's best to investigate before coming to a conclusion. I feel it's really a bad thing. People may not realise what they saying will affect a person's view of another.

Myself, I don't judge or come to a conclusion unless there is at least another source. Even then, I'm still sceptical.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    Someone says to you, oh this guy is bad he does this and this. Later on you meet this guy. In your head you are thinking, wow this is the guy that has done this and this. How awful. Of course you don't ask them about it, it's rude. All said and done and you label him as bad. Never think of it again.

Do you change your mind? Do you have second thoughts about said person? Perhaps it was just a lie, or not a lie but something that they heard from another source. Do you feel it's best to investigate before coming to a conclusion. I feel it's really a bad thing. People may not realise what they saying will affect a person's view of another.

Myself, I don't judge or come to a conclusion unless there is at least another source. Even then, I'm still sceptical.
    I'll recognise what that person has said, but said person could also be being selective about the information be said. I'll use my own interaction with the person to determine that. Plus i will also the the "rude" questions, the truth is important.

If the person who said it is trustworthy, then yes.

I do, although I try not to. I also change that opinion based on personal experience with the person.

never completely, no matter how reliable the source may be, there's always another side to every story

I try my best not to.
    I was on the receiving end when I was younger of stuff like that.

I don't want to replicate it in myself.

Deleted
    Depends on what it is I've heard about them. If I've heard someone is a rapist then that'd be pretty.. I wouldn't go near that person. I don't want to find out whether it's true or not.

Depending what it is, if one person says it, I keep it in mind but don't really change my own views based off it. If it's common knowledge among the locals (such as, this girl sleeps with everyone or commonly cheats, or this guy steals from all his friends) then I'll have to acknowledge it and it does affect how I see them.

Deleted
    Only if the information comes from someone I really trust, such as a close friend or my partner. I always listen to idle gossip but rarely take it seriously, I prefer to judge someone for myself.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Depends on what it is I've heard about them. If I've heard someone is a rapist then that'd be pretty.. I wouldn't go near that person. I don't want to find out whether it's true or not.
    So you wouldn't even ask for any evidence to the claim? You'd just take what you hear as gospel. Ignorance is bliss i guess.

Don't ever go into a situation or meeting a person with one side of a coin. You may know some stuff about them, but unless you have seen it, you don't know if it is true or not. You need to get to know the person on a personal level before you LABEL them. You might end up best of friends and may have a lot in common.

No, it doesn't matter who you are, I'll always take claims with a pinch of salt.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    I try to reserve judgment.

But depending on the circumstances and who's talking, I just might.

Quote Originally Posted by Meteoria View Post
    So you wouldn't even ask for any evidence to the claim? You'd just take what you hear as gospel. Ignorance is bliss i guess.
    Are we talking premeditated murder or are we just avoiding undesirables?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    I try to reserve judgment.

But depending on the circumstances and who's talking, I just might.

Are we talking premeditated murder or are we just avoiding undesirables?
    Any claim of a severe enough nature to just say "fuck that" and not even bother meeting the person.

Deleted
    Any claim of a severe enough nature to just say "fuck that" and not even bother meeting the person.
    And how do I know he wouldn't rape me at a later point if he sees the opportunity? I'd rather not be around such people and find out that it in fact was true at which point it's already too late to regret going against what I heard.

Deleted
    And how do I know he wouldn't rape me at a later point if he sees the opportunity? I'd rather not be around such people.
    How do you know they did it in the first place based off word of mouth? That is what i'm getting at.

Deleted
    How do you know they did it in the first place based off word of mouth? That is what i'm getting at.
    I don't care if it's true or not, I don't intend to expose myself to someone whos gotten that kind of reputation, doesn't matter how, when or why.

Deleted
    I don't care if it's true or not, I don't intend to expose myself to someone whos gotten that kind of reputation, doesn't matter how, when or why.
    Tiili Wars Episode 5: The Assumptions Strike Back

You'd willingly put someone who has the potential to be innocent/is innocent in the same bag as that who are guilty simply because "someone told me they did it so it must be true". Your life i guess.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    guilty until proven innocent my friends, i dare say a large majority of people probably think/believe like this than dont

Deleted
    Tiili Wars Episode 5: The Assumptions Strike Back

You'd willingly put someone who has the potential to be innocent/is innocent in the same bag as that who are guilty simply because "someone told me they did it so it must be true". Your life i guess.
    I don't intend to find out if it's true by being the next one he rapes. I'm suspicious about men enough as it is, if they've got such a reputation? Hell no, I don't want to be around them.