View Poll Results: Should Thrall die in 5.3/5.4?

Voters
349. You may not vote on this poll
  • He should die to enrage the horde

    173 49.57%
  • He should not die, horde needs him as leader

    176 50.43%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Moderator Kerdoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,127
    Would be an awesome twist! But I like him so it would be kinda sad at the same time

  2. #22
    Herald of the Titans Desaris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tempest Keep
    Posts
    2,807
    our Warchief is coming back.

    They do not die; they do not live. They are outside the cycle. Your gods are not your gods, outsider.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmall001 View Post
    I hate, hate, HATE people who abuse the term "mary sue". You either don't like the character or don't like the way that everybody ELSE liked the chracter and hipster retribute is a testiment of your opinion and that's fine. But he is not a Mary Sue. By definition, a Mary Sue is an original character inserted into a fan fiction for an existing universe that has powers and exhibits feats that do not mesh well with the nature of that universe and typically they romance a lead, known character of that universe. Thrall IS the main character of the Warcraft Universe and you're essentially saying that Captain Kirk is a Mary Sue or that Harry Potter is a Mary Sue. It's a fanboy (or anti-fanboy) bandwagon put down that weakens your argument and opinion.
    While I agree that Thrall is not a Mary Sue, I personally feel that your reason is not the right one. The term 'Mary Sue' not only applies to fan fiction anymore. It now applies to any character (yes, also original characters in an original setting) that are written as self-fulfillment.

    I don't think Chris Metzen wrote Thrall as a 'I'm secretly who Chris Metzen wants/believes to be!'-character. I think Thrall was written to be a person to be admired and loved for his qualities, definitely. But that doesn't make Thrall a Mary Sue.

    The girl from Twilight, however, IS a Mary Sue. It's basically Stephanie Meyer writing about her own fantasies, where the main character is, in fact, her. Or, at least, that is what it reads like. Mediocre unnoticeable girl attracts the hottest guy in school. Hot guy is also a very mysterious vampire. All sorts of awesome adventure awaits!
    Why does that read as a Mary Sue character? Because deep down, we all know we've had the same or similar fantasies in our teens, that's why.

    On topic: Yes, I think Thrall should die. Cause some emotional turmoil in the Thrall-loving fanbase (that includes me, by the way), add some depth and risk, and do away with superhero characters. WoW isn't Marvel, after all.

  4. #24
    The Lightbringer Skytotem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,557
    Quote Originally Posted by vertex705 View Post
    our Warchief is coming back.
    You do know there was a blue post after that saying those early tweets and claims that it'd be Thrall weren't accurate right?
    You are now future Jack Noir.

    Presently, you are trapped in a single moment, which increasingly feels like an eternity. Your boredom is surpassed only by your all consuming rage and contempt for existence itself.

  5. #25
    Legendary! KrazyK923's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    6,595
    Incoming Thrassk about why we're all wrong and stupid for wanting Thrall to go away.

    I wouldn't want him dead to "enrage" the Horde. But perhaps to show how far Garrosh has fallen. How far down the rabbit hole he was willing to go to prove he was a "good" leader.

    Plus I want him gone because he's a ridiculous mary sue.

  6. #26
    Banned Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    22,172
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    While I agree that Thrall is not a Mary Sue, I personally feel that your reason is not the right one. The term 'Mary Sue' not only applies to fan fiction anymore. It now applies to any character (yes, also original characters in an original setting) that are written as self-fulfillment.

    I don't think Chris Metzen wrote Thrall as a 'I'm secretly who Chris Metzen wants/believes to be!'-character. I think Thrall was written to be a person to be admired and loved for his qualities, definitely. But that doesn't make Thrall a Mary Sue.

    The girl from Twilight, however, IS a Mary Sue. It's basically Stephanie Meyer writing about her own fantasies, where the main character is, in fact, her. Or, at least, that is what it reads like. Mediocre unnoticeable girl attracts the hottest guy in school. Hot guy is also a very mysterious vampire. All sorts of awesome adventure awaits!
    Why does that read as a Mary Sue character? Because deep down, we all know we've had the same or similar fantasies in our teens, that's why.

    On topic: Yes, I think Thrall should die. Cause some emotional turmoil in the Thrall-loving fanbase (that includes me, by the way), add some depth and risk, and do away with superhero characters. WoW isn't Marvel, after all.
    There's a lot of super powered characters. That doesn't make it a bad thing or Mary Sue which I know you didn't say that but the feeling was there.


    Plus I want him gone because he's a ridiculous mary sue.
    He's not a Mary Sue. Med'an is.

  7. #27
    The Lightbringer Skytotem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,557
    Problem with Thrall is he gets focus at the detriment of the rest of the story and other characters.
    You are now future Jack Noir.

    Presently, you are trapped in a single moment, which increasingly feels like an eternity. Your boredom is surpassed only by your all consuming rage and contempt for existence itself.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    There's a lot of super powered characters. That doesn't make it a bad thing or Mary Sue which I know you didn't say that but the feeling was there.
    Actually, I said Thrall was not a Mary Sue.
    And I am of the opinion that super powered characters ARE bad.
    He's not a Mary Sue. Med'an is.
    Well; he certainly looks like a Mary Sue from what I could find... But I don't read manga or comics, so I don't know for sure.
    Yes, I've read the first book of Twilight. Just so I could have an opinion. :P

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    He's not a Mary Sue. Med'an is.
    Just for the sake of getting our terms straight, we should probably define Mary Sue. It's incredibly difficult to have any kind of rational discussion without doing that.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Mkgego View Post
    He should die, massive OMG turn in WoW...
    Frankly, if/when Thrall dies, it won't even be that big of a deal after patch after patch of "Should Thrall die?" every time he's so much as mentioned.

  11. #31
    Banned Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    22,172
    Actually, I said Thrall was not a Mary Sue.
    And I am of the opinion that super powered characters ARE bad.
    Then all Mages,Shamans,Druids, even Death Knights are bad characters. Heck the Lich King was a bad character by your logic.



    OT: Thrall doesn't really take that much spotlight as people implied. At least not in the MoP things so far.
    Last edited by Aeluron Lightsong; 2013-03-28 at 01:32 AM.

  12. #32
    The Lightbringer Skytotem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,557
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    OT: Thrall doesn't really take that much spotlight as people implied. At least not in the MoP things so far.
    Not in MoP no but Blizz went WAY overboard in Cata.
    You are now future Jack Noir.

    Presently, you are trapped in a single moment, which increasingly feels like an eternity. Your boredom is surpassed only by your all consuming rage and contempt for existence itself.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Option 3: He should not die, but live his life normal with his family, away from war and political conflict.
    I agree. I would have voted this option if it was part of the poll.

    On second thought, perhaps not to far away. Perhaps act as counsel or something for the new warchief.
    Last edited by Honeyprime; 2013-03-28 at 01:43 AM.


    Karma always has the last laugh.

  14. #34
    I don't think Thrall will be Warchief again (I'm thinking Vol'jin), but on the off chance he is, he better get an updated model with Doomhammer Plate. I don't want my Warchief to wear rags.

  15. #35
    I think he should die as well in the final fight with Garrosh. With Jaina/Varian and all the horde there, it would bring them all together to "remember a fallen hero" kind of thing. Jaina would obviously be broken up over Thrall's death which would make the alliance a bit more sympathetic to it and horde is obvious as well. The legion could end up attacking some kind of Thrall memorial bringing the factions together more to fight them off in the next xpac.

  16. #36
    I don't think Thrall should die (although if he dies well, I wouldn't mind it). However, he should not return as Warchief. After being World Shaman, he is too strong now. Both Alliance and Horde players must woot for their leaders, and Thrall is now too much a legendary character for anyone to compete with. They did a good job building up Varian, but I don't think he's on par with Thrall yet.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

  17. #37
    I don't think he should die, I think he should fight in the siege of orgrimmar, but not become war chief. After the siege have him retire, return to nagrand and spend his days with Agra, the kids and I think Saurfang is still in nagrand.

    ---------- Post added 2013-03-28 at 02:07 AM ----------

    I think thrall is too powerful to become war chief again, only way I see him dying is if he sacrifices himself somehow in soo.
    Too cool for a signature

  18. #38
    Warchief TheDangerZone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burt Reynolds' stache
    Posts
    2,186
    I don't want him to die, but neither I want him to return as leader of the horde. Is calling is greater than political disputes.

    Though for drama's sake -if he died- I'd like to be him fighting Garrosh alongside Jaina, sort of a callback from when he and Gromm defeated Mannoroth. As he fades, he leaves Jaina some words to Aggra and his son and thanks Jaina for her firendship, then he dies in Jaina's arms as Gromm died in his.

    That would also lead to more faction wars, with some in the horde believing Jaina took the opportunity to get rid of Thrall and removing the only match to her power, it would be an interesting fallout.

    ---------- Post added 2013-03-28 at 02:13 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Just for the sake of getting our terms straight, we should probably define Mary Sue. It's incredibly difficult to have any kind of rational discussion without doing that.
    Hear hear! some people just fling the term when talking about characters they don't like.

  19. #39
    I am Murloc! Airwaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Australia! G-day Mate!... (We don't really speak like that)
    Posts
    5,657
    Well i can't vote. I don't want him to die but i don't want him as the leader.
    Angels and Airwaves
    Aldmeri Dominion - Imperial - Templar - Laethys - High Elf - Assassin - Frostmourne - Orc - Rogue - Sea of Sorrows - Norn - Thief
    Borderlands 2 - Mechromancer - Battlefield 4 - Engineer - Diablo 3 - Wizard

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    While I agree that Thrall is not a Mary Sue, I personally feel that your reason is not the right one. The term 'Mary Sue' not only applies to fan fiction anymore. It now applies to any character (yes, also original characters in an original setting) that are written as self-fulfillment.

    I don't think Chris Metzen wrote Thrall as a 'I'm secretly who Chris Metzen wants/believes to be!'-character. I think Thrall was written to be a person to be admired and loved for his qualities, definitely. But that doesn't make Thrall a Mary Sue.

    The girl from Twilight, however, IS a Mary Sue. It's basically Stephanie Meyer writing about her own fantasies, where the main character is, in fact, her. Or, at least, that is what it reads like. Mediocre unnoticeable girl attracts the hottest guy in school. Hot guy is also a very mysterious vampire. All sorts of awesome adventure awaits!
    Why does that read as a Mary Sue character? Because deep down, we all know we've had the same or similar fantasies in our teens, that's why.

    On topic: Yes, I think Thrall should die. Cause some emotional turmoil in the Thrall-loving fanbase (that includes me, by the way), add some depth and risk, and do away with superhero characters. WoW isn't Marvel, after all.
    I kind of also agree with this point though I don't like the term super hero characters.

    Stormrage: Malfurion single handedly fights the Nightmare off and becomes a literal god.
    Wolfheart: Varian becomes a super saiyan.
    Night of the Dragon: Krasus commands a raptor army.

    But then!

    Wolfheart: Malfurion is kind of the damsel in distress in this book. Ass kicked by Maiev a few times.
    War of the Ancients: Krasus is relegated to little more than a narrator.
    Stormrage: Most characters fall to the Nightmare without a hint of their awesome powers.
    Thrall TotA: Thrall is a total wimp in this book. Even at the end he's little more than motivational speaker. He's not even a very good Shaman.

    Thrall is well represented though. He's flawed. He's Human. He's Orcy. He's a Shaman but not the best Shaman. He's a Champion but not the only Champion. He has hopes, fears, desires, sore spots, faults of pride, faults of pacifism, naivety and limits. In most of his literature he's depicted as powerful but not god-like. He's never once called the Aspect of Earth. He's just a Shaman doing his Shamanic duty. Alexstrasza even laughs at the idea of him being an Aspect. He's just an Orc. A prime Orc of the Old New Horde.

    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Just for the sake of getting our terms straight, we should probably define Mary Sue. It's incredibly difficult to have any kind of rational discussion without doing that.
    Technically, Me'dan is not a Mary Sue either. Rhonin COULD be but probably isn't really. They are just bad writing. The fault isn't entirely with the writer there though. They just didn't have enough bandwidth to be built up to that level. Not like Thrall or Malfurion or Tirion.

    A Mary Sue is, by definition, a self-fulfillment character with powers and abilities that seem out of place within the universe.
    Last edited by thesmall001; 2013-03-28 at 02:36 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •