Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    also a good tip start pulling the next group before the first is dead this will give you 2 or 3 sec to get aggro before the other dps comes to that pack aswell

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ashll View Post
    also a good tip start pulling the next group before the first is dead this will give you 2 or 3 sec to get aggro before the other dps comes to that pack aswell
    One of the things I love about being an engineer: despite the two glove tinker options ranging from bad to horrible for paladin tanking, rocket boosters get you to a group even faster than a Heroic Leaping warrior. Well, unless they malfunction. At least Divine Shield works as a convenient fire extinguisher when that happens.

Deleted
    Contrary to previous advices, I'd say to never pull with AS (Nor with Death Grip, Charge or Wild Charge on that matter). Save them as an emergency if you lose aggro just AFTER pulling with other abilities and only after that use them on cooldown. If it's a group of mobs don't pull with anything before you are in range to use HoR (on single target you can pull with ranged abilities though or very small groups if you are sure AS will be enough).

Thing is, using any ranged ability to pull packs of mobs gives the rest of group a signal that they can start to dps, but makes you still too far away from mobs to generate proper initial aggro with melee abilities.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Avezo View Post
    Thing is, using any ranged ability to pull packs of mobs gives the rest of group a signal that they can start to dps, but makes you still too far away from mobs to generate proper initial aggro with melee abilities.
    Except in the increasingly rare scenario where over-aggro is a concern: lots of separate groups close together (think Scarlet Monastery Cathedral if you didn't completely out-gear it), I think the term "pull" in today's game is largely a misnomer. I, for one, am not throwing Avenger's Shield and waiting for enemies to come to me. I'm chucking it at an enemy as I'm charging in to start generating threat before I'm in melee range.

Given that this thread began with a post on problems with AoE threat in 5-mans, I must remark that dps in most dungeon-finder groups -- at any level, but especially in leveling groups -- don't even wait for a "signal" to start dps. The sooner I can begin building threat, the better.

The best tip I've seen thus far in this threat was econ21's suggestion to, as a tank, be "ultra-aggressive." Worried that one or more dps(ers) in your group is/are a loose cannon, or running with extremely over-geared ones who might pull off of you without trying and don't care to give you a lead on threat? Whenever possible, don't give them the chance. You get in there first, smacking those enemies upside the head and just plain ruining their day.

Unless the healer is out of/low on mana (far more common with some non-heirloomed healers in leveling dungeons than at level 90) and you're approaching a hard-hitting trash group or boss. But good luck getting some people to listen when you advocate for a mana break.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    This isn't fun anymore. I feel like I'm missing something crucial.

- A hunters pet that I'm doing dungeons with continuously pulls aggro upon coming out of stealth. (Apparently he hasn't got the taunt spell on)
    - A Warrior without hierlooms that assured me he isn't taunting sometimes takes aggro.

This happens on a new pack where I:

Righteous Fury on
    Open with AS
    Proceed to use HoR
    Then Holy wrath
    repeat

Not sure what more I can do.
    Considering level 90 hunters don't know how to turn off Growl in LFR, I'd definitely not believe that hunter. Just for your reference, pets have a true taunt which will put them above your threat every time they use growl. The problem with hunter pet abilities is that they don't want hunters to have to press all their pets abilities on top of their own, so pet abilities have an autocast feature - so if he's got autocast on, on his growl, the pet will taunt every 8s on cue if it's not holding threat itself. Make sure to ask if there is a dotted flashing line around Growl in his pet's spell book.

Warriors are bursty as hell, just get used to it. We have to rotate hand of salvations (a paladin ability which reduces threat on a target, you'll get it at 66) on our fury warrior so he doesn't rip off threat in his opener.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    We have to rotate hand of salvations (a paladin ability which reduces threat on a target, you'll get it at 66) on our fury warrior so he doesn't rip off threat in his opener.
    Are you not having any hunters or rogues use misdirection/tricks on pulls? It's not like there's any negative effect for them using it.

Deleted
    Are you Horde or Alliance? Im at 30 with my horde monk and i have played paladin for a long time and you could join me in a few dungeons if you like?

AS only interrupts/silences the first target, so pull using it on a Caster.
    Glyph for ConsecrationAT 25, throw it out as you run in. This Glyph alone makes tanking bearable.
    HotR if there's several targets. DPS in Seal of Insight, at 50 Glyph for either Battle Healer or Alabaster Shield, 75 glyph the other. I'd recommend Battle Healer, I was doing 20% of the overall effective healing by the 60-70 brackets.
    I personally spec'ed into Selfless Healer at 45, but you can take SS instead if you prefer. Just remember, both require a ramp up time to be effective.
    Though you may be tempted to use WoG to heal, the damage reduction on SotR is invaluable in some dungeons; the healing from SoI should be enough not to die if you have a slack healer, if not throw WoG's in as the scaling is still good at low levels.
    Avenger's Shield and Consecration are you two strongest moves (Both doing more than 30% overall each by the time I'm done). Holy Wrath's damage is split, but single target it's strong.

I've recently leveled up a Prot Paladin with RAF, so no Heirlooms, and the only times I've ever had issues have been when someone pulls ahead (Had mages blinking into multiple packs) and I throw out Consecrations to pull aggro, only to get permastunned by NPCs (Because it's such a great idea that NPC abilities don't DR) and get wrecked from the sheer damage income. Most of the time I've done 55-60% of he overall damage. It's just getting used to it. It gets better when you get AS Procs later on, it helps pull multiple casters into you without having to move. It also generates more HP, which means more mitigation and heals.

The one thing that does annoy me about Paladin Prot, is that we get Sanctuary at 64 (15% less damage taken, essentially our Defensive Stance) while Warriors get their at 10? and Druids get Bear Form at 14. That is one of the reasons why you're slightly squishier than you should be.
    Last edited by Matt0193; 2013-04-02 at 03:06 AM.