Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Ever think to consider new players aren't going to sit there and bitch and whine and moan about every god damn thing under the sun while playing? I keep hearing concern for new players but that is complete bullshit. Most of you just want to fast track everything in this game new players and old players both be damned. Let's be honest here. You want things faster for YOU.
    I don't get the whole "new player" arguement people are throwing around either. If anyone should be able to enjoy leveling, it should be new players because the game is exciting and, wel... new to them.

In classic it took me a ton more played time to level my first character from 1-60 than it takes me to get from 1-90 now, and yet I enjoyed spending all that time leveling more than I do now because it was something I never did before.

Just because people that have been playing for ages have seen the leveling content that WoW has to offer so many times they are getting sick of it, doesn't mean new players won't be able to enjoy it.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind if they speed up 85-90 a little for players that have a max level character already. Why there weren't any heirlooms that scale up to level 90 in this expansion in the first place, is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    the speed of levelling would be a non-issue if levelling were challenging or fun. or best of all, both.

levelling in vanilla was done in a world that was dangerous. you always felt threatened. you needed to learn how to use your skills to survive. over the last couple of expansions Blizzard have castrated the outside world, removing any sense of danger and making the whole levelling experience boring. it is no suprise people now want it to be faster and faster.

the fact is, if levelling still contained meaningful gameplay, you would probably get a lot fewer complaints about a lack of end-game content. because people would be happy spending some of their time levelling alts.

Blizzard to need to remember, all the people that were originally sucked in to their game were sucked in by the gameplay that started at level 1. the sense of progression for their character. the sense of danger. the satisfaction of a tough challenge well done. none of this exists any more. is it any wonder they are struggling to bring in new players?
    Leveling was challenging to you back then because you hadn't done it before (and game mechanics and itemisations were bad and half the specs in game were horrible). Now you know how to play the game, you know how to play your class blindly, and you have seen the leveling content before, of course it is less challenging to level in that case.

Also, fun is kind of subjective. While it isn't fun to you, it can be to others.

WoW is not struggling to get new players thanks to the game design, but because it's an MMO that has been out for over 8 years. It's quite a feat that they have managed to keep such a huge playerbase over the years. People these days will look at it and think "hmmm, I'll go with <insert 2013 game title here> it looks much more pretty".

I'm sorry to say this, but your post doesn't makes little sense.
    Last edited by mmoc9bca5565b2; 2013-03-29 at 01:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Otiswhitaker View Post
    The real damned problem with Blizzard is they don't understand how to slightly do anything. They either make something extremely one thing or extremely another. "This can't be too good for leveling" means they'll make it no good at all.

The XP per hour for everything non-questing should be like... 5% worse. Not like.. 500% worse.

They do this in other aspects of the game, too. "While you can do so and so for so and so, doing this so and so will be more effective" (Makes former so and so not effective AT ALL.)
    The nerf to pet battle xp only applies to the pets in cities. If you are in a zone appropriate for your lvl you will get significantly more xp but again this just goes to show the people who bitch about how slow it is to lvl or how long it takes to get around usually know the least about it because they never actually do it. In all honesty this is just whining for the sake of whining.

---------- Post added 2013-03-28 at 09:10 PM ----------

the speed of levelling would be a non-issue if levelling were challenging or fun. or best of all, both.

levelling in vanilla was done in a world that was dangerous. you always felt threatened. you needed to learn how to use your skills to survive. over the last couple of expansions Blizzard have castrated the outside world, removing any sense of danger and making the whole levelling experience boring. it is no suprise people now want it to be faster and faster.

the fact is, if levelling still contained meaningful gameplay, you would probably get a lot fewer complaints about a lack of end-game content. because people would be happy spending some of their time levelling alts.

Blizzard to need to remember, all the people that were originally sucked in to their game were sucked in by the gameplay that started at level 1. the sense of progression for their character. the sense of danger. the satisfaction of a tough challenge well done. none of this exists any more. is it any wonder they are struggling to bring in new players?
    I'm sorry this is bullshit. Did you even play vanilla wow? Yes lvling was challenging but that was due to a horribly broken game with horribly broken classes most of which weren't fixed for at least a year after release.

---------- Post added 2013-03-28 at 09:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    So many voices complaining about the cruel MoP leveling experience, to which I agree to. Ever think to consider the problem might be you?
    I have self control and don't have the compulsive desire to lvl dozens of characters to 90 but yes it must be me that has a the problem. Sure ok whatever you say.

---------- Post added 2013-03-28 at 09:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    What the heck are you talking about? There is a tiny number of dungeons and even fewer level dungeons in Pandaria, gathering professions give miniscule ammounts of exp and so do battlegrounds for that matter. There is no way to skip or choose where to level in Pandaria either since there is ONE zone for each level and the stories are completly linear forcing you to do them from start to end.
    I have by now level 7 chars to 90 and I can tell you that Pandaria is the worst, most tedious and annoying leveling I have experienced since I started back in TBC. It is plain and simple not fun and takes too long and that is with rested bonus.
    Which is why I said lvling is much faster if you don't restrict the content you do. There is a blindingly obvious reason for why we have the number of 5 mans that we do and why they don't give as much xp as previous dungeons. Blizzard doesn't want us locked away in instances 1-90. They want you doing pet battles, professions, world pvp, gathering and many other things and not just sitting in a city in a queue 24/7. Like I said if people stopped playing Mop like they played Cata then most of these "problems" wouldn't even exist. Also am I the only one who sees the irony in someone with 7+ lvl capped characters whining about something in game taking too much time?

---------- Post added 2013-03-28 at 09:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    72 hours is a huge time investment and you can double that with levelling from 1-85 when the majority of the content is at max level asking a player to spend a week of game play to reach that level, for some this is over two months of playing, is ridiculous.
    I can't take you seriously anymore. 72 hours is too long? Really?

---------- Post added 2013-03-28 at 09:21 PM ----------

You do seem to spend a lot of your time here attacking anyone that disagrees with Blizzard. If Blizzard want WOW to continue to be successful it is them that have to adapt to the players not the other way around.
    If that adaption involves gutting the game simply because some obsessive compulsive players who clearly have plenty of time to play the game want everything faster then hell no. No thanks. I don't think Blizzard sees any benefit in that for the players or the long term health of the game. Again stating logic and common sense and actual facts and reality isn't "defending" Blizzard. If anyone is blind here it is the haters like you and a few others who hop on whatever issue has traction and beats it into the ground no matter how foolish it makes you look.

---------- Post added 2013-03-28 at 09:27 PM ----------

Why are you so against shortening the time it takes for someone that already has one or more level capped characters to level another character? How does this impact your enjoyment of the game?

Whilst it is probably unusual for someone to have 20 or more level characters, and the person you quoted does not say anything of the sort but don't let that stop you, I would imagine that many have five characters that around level 60 or above. For existing players the levelling experience is disjointed and repetitive. Why not change levelling for those that already have one or more max level characters?
    I'm against it because there is no real legitimate need for it. At all. Xp nerfs are fine on outdated content to an extent but to ask for a nerf to 85+ lvling barely 6 months after Mop was released is just fucking stupid. leveling is fast enough as is and as I said we have even more options for how we lvl than we ever did before. This is a personal problem and not a game design flaw.

I have self control and don't have the compulsive desire to lvl dozens of characters to 90 but yes it must be me that has a the problem. Sure ok whatever you say.
    likening people who level alts to drug addicts

If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    What the heck are you talking about? There is a tiny number of dungeons and even fewer level dungeons in Pandaria, gathering professions give miniscule ammounts of exp and so do battlegrounds for that matter. There is no way to skip or choose where to level in Pandaria either since there is ONE zone for each level and the stories are completly linear forcing you to do them from start to end.
    I have by now level 7 chars to 90 and I can tell you that Pandaria is the worst, most tedious and annoying leveling I have experienced since I started back in TBC. It is plain and simple not fun and takes too long and that is with rested bonus.
    That bugs me to. Theirs so little VARIETY in the lvilng experience. Not only is it just a massive grind, it's a massive bland grind. To few dungeons to break it up. To few quests that differ from collect this or kill that. And the worst part about it is that before you'd get a talent point or maybe an ability that would keep you lvling. With the new ability and talent system you get stretches in Mists where you just hit lvl 87 and your reward for hitting lvl 87 is... nothing. A sign that pops up and says you hit 87. It's like so what I hit 87? what does that get me? It's demoralizing.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

10+ Year Old Account
    that sound you heard was my point, flying over your head.
    Not at all. I'm simply pointing out that we've tried the "more challenging is more fun" trope in Cataclysm to dismal results. I love leveling so to some extent I agree with you that if it took longer, was more challenging and generally more of a game it would be better. If we had MP power in WoW (see Diablo III) I'd set it up quite a ways. That said, I'm not stupid and know that increasing difficulty levels at the early levels of the game would likely be more of a catastrophe than anything else. Especially with the lazy crowd that wants to get to end game as fast as possible.

So, no. Nothing flew over my head. The point of my post might have escaped you though or else you assumed that someone pointing out an obvious conclusion based on previous experience represented my own personal feelings. Sometimes they do, often they don't.

Just read through the thread. Most people don't want a more fun leveling experience. They want to avoid it altogether or get to end game even faster than now. Their goal is 90 ASAP. More challenge isn't going to enable that.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    That bugs me to. Theirs so little VARIETY in the lvilng experience. Not only is it just a massive grind, it's a massive bland grind. To few dungeons to break it up. To few quests that differ from collect this or kill that. And the worst part about it is that before you'd get a talent point or maybe an ability that would keep you lvling. With the new ability and talent system you get stretches in Mists where you just hit lvl 87 and your reward for hitting lvl 87 is... nothing. A sign that pops up and says you hit 87. It's like so what I hit 87? what does that get me? It's demoralizing.
    What this comes down to is that you people don't want variety. You want faster lvling through queueing for dungeons. No. Not happening. Enabling that behavior is a major contributing factor to why the world was so empty before Mop. As much as I love LFD it shouldn't be the best/fastest way to lvl. You mention variety but don't seem to realize we have more ways to lvl now in Mop than we did in Cata. Like I said earlier if you want to lvl faster then you should take advantage of all the other content in game.

---------- Post added 2013-03-28 at 10:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Eschaton View Post
    Not at all. I'm simply pointing out that we've tried the "more challenging is more fun" trope in Cataclysm to dismal results. I love leveling so to some extent I agree with you that if it took longer, was more challenging and generally more of a game it would be better. If we had MP power in WoW (see Diablo III) I'd set it up quite a ways. That said, I'm not stupid and know that increasing difficulty levels at the early levels of the game would likely be more of a catastrophe than anything else. Especially with the lazy crowd that wants to get to end game as fast as possible.

So, no. Nothing flew over my head. The point of my post might have escaped you though or else you assumed that someone pointing out an obvious conclusion based on previous experience represented my own personal feelings. Sometimes they do, often they don't.

Just read through the thread. Most people don't want a more fun leveling experience. They want to avoid it altogether or get to end game even faster than now. Their goal is 90 ASAP. More challenge isn't going to enable that.
    People are already raging over heroic scenarios and we haven't even seen how hard they are yet. The forums would implode if Blizzard ever added monster power to Wow questing. For some reason if it is in game people act like they have to do it even if they hate it (ironically the source of the complaints in this thread as well).

It took my Monk (full BoA's and as much of the enlightenment buff as I could use) just over 3 days /played to hit 90, at least a day of that was 85-90, so I don't think leveling is too bad, it gives enough time to learn your class, especially for a new player.

Plus it won't be too long until they cut the exp for Pandaria, I would guess 5.4 might see a ~30% cut.

15+ Year Old Account
    I agree on that, I tried to level a monk and I was incredibly sick of pressing the same buttons by level 65 already, despite the fact I liked the class.

In my personal opinion the only reason that heirlooms do not go to 90 and that alts can not fly in pandaland is because blizz feels like they put so much work into it that you should do it over and over again an some how still fell stunned by how much of an awesome job they did.

there is no need to nerf anything: boa fly book+heirloom to 90 will do the job when being totally optional for those who like levelling amish mode; different peoples may like different thing, have different amount of time to committ into the game etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

Leveling would be a lot less boring if they implemented zone scaling. That or if they gave you a +10% exp gained per character that reached max level (though with the ever rising level cap, wouldn't work too well). Yes there is a lot to do while leveling, but the options would definitely expand if content didn't become obsolete once you're 5 levels higher.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlizzardCS
    We're aware that some players are experiencing latency and server stability issues, and are investigating. Thanks for your patience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kena Lea
    @BlizzardCS not being able to connect to anything is a bit beyond latency dear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bufferunderrun View Post
    there is no need to nerf anything: boa fly book+heirloom to 90 will do the job when being totally optional for those who like levelling amish mode; different peoples may like different thing, have different amount of time to committ into the game etc.
    The problem isn't 1-85, the problem is the addition of 85 to 90. There are no heirlooms past 85, only some BoA weps/trinket.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kyoharu View Post
    Nothing deep here, I just feel like we're getting to have a bit too much leveling at this point in WoW, especially if you create a brand new toon. Sure it goes faster now but even so. It can be extremely draining, I can't bring myself to get a toon to 90. Assume another expansion comes out after MoP. You start a new toon, you have to level 1-58 in Eastern Kingdoms/Kalimdor, then Outland, then Northrend, then Cata zones, then Pandaria, then new zones. I guess people like it, but for me it just gets so tedious and draining.
    Are you playing since Vanilla? Because 1-60 then took like todays two chars to lvl 1-90 "almost".
    Retired... but for how long? WAS DRAGGED TO THE LEGION HYPETRAIN!!!

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Vashiq/simple

What if they introduced a system where the more characters at 90 you have, the more XP you earn 85-90 on other chars? Similar to how it works with capping Valor on one char, you get a bonus. (though this one wouldn't be weekly)

I have two characters at 90 and one at 87, I really want to get the latter to 90 but it is such a long and boring road.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with OP and think it is getting to be a little much. It's easy to say, "buck up, stop whining, etc etc" but you do have to consider how the game will feel to new players if they have to spend several weeks or even months (remember, new players here) working on a single character before they get to 90 (or 100, as the case will likely soon be).

And then there's an entirely different game to learn at level cap - gearing up and optimizing the character for PvP and/or PvE, developing high-end playing skills, farming resources, doing an endless stream of dailies, and so on.

I recently tried to introduce a person to the game; she was interested in endgame PvE after seeing some of it in action. She couldn't get past level 20 due to sheer boredom. It is a problem when you can't get to the fun part of the game without drudging through weeks or months of the boring part, all in the name of "earning" or "learning" something.

Remember: it's a game. And it's not the same game it was in 2004. There is a lot more going on outside of the leveling experience itself.

And even as an experienced player with a broad arsenal of characters, rerolling on a new server from scratch is very painful. I can only eke out 2-3 levels per (real time) day before wanting to hurl myself out of a window.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Don't see why not. The game has been out for 7 years, everyone is a tad bit sick of leveling already. Do we really need to repeat the leveling grind every expansion?

Most players just want to hit level cap ASAP so they would have all their spells and talents. So their characters are at maximum potential.
    Well this attitude shows 2 underlying problems with WoW design.

1) Each new expansion negates previous content, effectively reducing content instead of increasing it.
    2) Players want to play less which is agianst WoW subscription plan.

---------- Post added 2013-03-29 at 10:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    I did just about everything to mix it up. I toured the entirety of Pandaria doing all the quests I could, I did dungeons, I even did a bit of PVP that I despised - especially when I had zero PVP gear while lvling.

The problem is, I'm sick of it. I have been levelling since vanilla. It's has gotten quite old.

Levelling is really beginning to feel like a "gate" that stopping you from doing end-game activities.

PS: What's with you always defending Blizzard? LOL. If I'm unhappy with something in the game, I'm going to say it. Whether Blizzard fixes it or not, to improve my experience, is up to them.
    And here is another problem. Let me put it this way, if you keep doing basically same thing over and over agian for many years, than do you seriously think you can still remain just as much entertained by it as when you started it? The anwser is NO. It's impossible to keep being amused by same thing over and over agian, there's no entertainment service in the entire world that can keep people engaged in it forever.

It's not up to Blizzard to improve you experience, It's up to you to find new experiences.

You wont like what you will read up next but you will have to accept it. Everything will get tedious sooner or later if you focus on something long enough. WoW is no exception. It is you who has to take a break from it.

It is a shame you cannot bring that level of self control to these boards. How many hours have you spent typing insults to anyone that dare question Blizzard?

I can't take you seriously anymore. 72 hours is too long? Really?
    Yes 72 hours is too long to spend on content that people have already completed. For many people this is over a month of game play to reach the level that they can engage in the main part of the game.

If that adaption involves gutting the game simply because some obsessive compulsive players who clearly have plenty of time to play the game want everything faster then hell no. No thanks. I don't think Blizzard sees any benefit in that for the players or the long term health of the game. Again stating logic and common sense and actual facts and reality isn't "defending" Blizzard. If anyone is blind here it is the haters like you and a few others who hop on whatever issue has traction and beats it into the ground no matter how foolish it makes you look.
    Different people get different things out of the game, and it is in Blizzard's interests to cater to as many different players as they can, why is it that people that enjoying playing alts are "obsessive compulsive?" If the players that enjoy playing multiple characters find that is not fun to do so due to the time it takes to level a character then there is a possibility they will quit the game. If Blizzard want them to continue playing and therefore paying they must adapt to their needs and it is to their benefit to do so.

Because I see flaws in the game it does not mean that I do not enjoy the overall experience and to label anyone that disagrees with you a hater is rather childish.

I'm against it because there is no real legitimate need for it. At all. Xp nerfs are fine on outdated content to an extent but to ask for a nerf to 85+ lvling barely 6 months after Mop was released is just fucking stupid. leveling is fast enough as is and as I said we have even more options for how we lvl than we ever did before. This is a personal problem and not a game design flaw.
    If a large enough number of players want a change then there is a legitimate need. It is not a lone voice that is complaining about levelling in MOP therefore for many it is a design flaw. As you keep telling us you are not an obsessive compulsive who plays many characters so if there was a change that allowed people who already have multiple max level characters to level faster how would this affect you?
    Last edited by Pann; 2013-03-29 at 10:16 AM.