Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Why do we assume and hold death as a negitive?

I've been questioning things lately,

and one of the things that really has my thought is Why do we consider death to be a negative?

1. I am loosely quoting Neil DeGrasse Tyson on this when he spoke about religion and what is claimed in the bible, - Some one having access to information no one else in the populous has saying he can communicate with god and god says this and that and the other thing - It has from the day we're born been taught to us and to assume death is 100% negative as though some one some where down the line some how came across supernatural information on death.

Which now also draws my mind to 2 other questions.

1 . Where was I before I existed? If I think hard enough, I think i remember it. It was blackness. Blackness for 14 + billion years (Give or take a few billion because the star scientists just found is estimated to be 13 billion years old and shouldn't exist because stars take mind blindingly large amounts of time to form )

2 . With the original thought in mind, how can we with moral conscious Prosecute others for committing murder or hold murder against the law when we have ABSOLUTELY NO Knowledge of what is after death.

/end Philosophizing

Quote Originally Posted by Fwish View Post

and one of the things that really has my thought is Why do we consider death to be a negative?

1. I am loosely quoting Neil DeGrasse Tyson on this when he spoke about religion and what is claimed in the bible, - Some one having access to information no one else in the populous has saying he can communicate with god and god says this and that and the other thing - It has from the day we're born been taught to us and to assume death is 100% negative as though some one some where down the line some how came across supernatural information on death.

1 . Where was I before I existed? If I think hard enough, I think i remember it. It was blackness. Blackness for 14 + billion years (Give or take a few billion because the star scientists just found is estimated to be 13 billion years old and shouldn't exist because stars take mind blindingly large amounts of time to form )

2 . With the original thought in mind, how can we with moral conscious Prosecute others for committing murder or hold murder against the law when we have ABSOLUTELY NO Knowledge of what is after death.

/end Philosophizing
    Well we hold it as a negative because it is something which we don't understand. Humans have a tendency to fear/hate things they don't understand.

Also we don't prosecute someone because of an understanding or lack thereof of death, we prosecute someone for taking away someone elses life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Knowing that one day you just wont wake up is plenty to be scared of. I am scared of dying but I don't let it effect me. I want to live forever to see and experience everything I could, unfortunately immortality and the matrix are awhile away.

We hold deaths as a negitive because we're happy with our lives.
    Deaths means the ends to that existence.
    I thought that was pretty obvious.
    You must have a pretty sad life if you don't feel the same.
    Last edited by Mikael123; 2013-03-28 at 06:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because there is nothing after death NOTHING. Because there is nothing after death it is a negative thing. If only i could wake up people that believe in something after death a min after it happened and told them "see".
    Aye mate

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd go with maggots... Definitely the maggots... I'm also not a fan of velvet on every wall.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Death is not so negative and unknown for everyone as you make it out to be. I look forward to my death as Paul did, and I hope it will be a death that I can be proud of.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

10+ Year Old Account
    In before imminent religious shitstorm...

Though if you're claiming that the bible is making people "afraid" of dying, I don't particularly think that's true... "though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: For thou art with me" and various other messages of being rendered unto heaven upon death.

All animals fear death; we're no different. It's in our best baser interest to preserve our own life. Death is an end to that which we are hardwired to protect. It's not some social construction. In fact, not "fearing death" would be more along the lines of a social construction, whether via the concept of an afterlife, or the complete desensitization of death, À la "Brave New World."

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves
    Because there is nothing after death NOTHING. Because there is nothing after death it is a negative thing. If only i could wake up people that believe in something after death a min after it happened and told them "see".
    By that very act you would prove that you were wrong. Though I do find your dedication to attempting to prove that life is meaningless very strange.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2013-03-28 at 07:00 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Death isn't for the dead. Only the living mourn for the dead.

We mourn for the dead, because we have to continue on without them. If you truly loved a person that has passed, you'd understand. You see their shadow in the corner of your eye, constantly. You go to ask them questions and they aren't there. It's harrowing.

Like another poster said, you have lived a cold and shallow life, if you don't understand why the living mourn the dead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind of misquoting Neil Tyson or just abusing that quote. The quote really has nothing to do with death, and it's fairly incoherent when you tried to make it so.

Deleted
    Death doesn't bother me so much.

We return to the Earth to be recycled and we'll probably make up components of life in some shape or form in the future, or at least some substance.

I obviously don't want to die, but it doesn't scare me either because I'm so damn intrigued to see if anything happens afterwards or not lol.

The stuff of which your body is made up has been around just as long as everything else. You could share electrons with Catherine the Great or protons with a Ceasar.

/end Philosophizing
    We prosecute others for removing the choices of others through force without cause. Assault, Robbery, Murder, whatever. Regardless of what people believe happens upon or after your death, everyone should strive to be the best they can in the life they have. I am assuming you are a Christian here, but think about this: If there is a heaven, you will be able to talk about what you did upon the earth and have glory heaped upon you and your god for how good of a person you were. If there is nothing after death, then you will be remembered by people that survive you for what you did and who you were when you were here.

i view death as a negative because there is no way to know what happens after. if you're just gone, then it's perfection. if there's some type of afterlife, paradise or hell, or even reincarnation, it's bad. when i die, i don't wanna live in some paradise or hell, i just want to be gone.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Where was I before I existed? If I think hard enough, I think i remember it. It was blackness. Blackness for 14 + billion years (Give or take a few billion because the star scientists just found is estimated to be 13 billion years old and shouldn't exist because stars take mind blindingly large amounts of time to form )
    Don't think too hard about it, our thoughts and personalities are just a network of electrical impulses in our brains. You were nothing before you existed and you'll be nothing again when you're dead.

Regardless of what's after death, the murder took place here and so long as the murderer remains in his mortal coil he remains subject to the laws of his locality.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcstunner View Post
    i view death as a negative because there is no way to know what happens after. if you're just gone, then it's perfection. if there's some type of afterlife, paradise or hell, or even reincarnation, it's bad. when i die, i don't wanna live in some paradise or hell, i just want to be gone.
    I honestly can't think of a religion that still believes in a 'hell' and teaches it. Even the catholics have stopped doing that, iirc. Or was that purgatory? Hrm... dead babies floating in nothingness!

a wandering mind is an unhappy mind

Quote Originally Posted by acoolnamehere View Post
    a wandering mind is an unhappy mind
    are we doing throw away one liners now?

'An open mind is like an open wound, liable to fester!'

I've always thought that one rather ironic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    are we doing throw away one liners now?

'An open mind is like an open wound, liable to fester!'

I've always thought that one rather ironic.
    He who smokes pot chokes on handle...

wait, what?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    He who smokes pot chokes on handle...

wait, what?
    Confucious says "man with hand in pocket feel cocky all day".

Quote Originally Posted by Nixxy View Post
    We're programmed for survival. Death is innately at odds with that.
    oh... oh my... is that...... no, it can't be... common sense, is that you?

thread should have been closed after this post.