Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

People who were raging about SimCity DRM are STEAM and/or Origin users

I feel like im taking crazy pills here(zoolander)

But isn't it the same thing???? If not, how is it any different? Now before you answer I am talking about the DRM always online EA forced not their ability(or lack thereof) to keep up with traffic.

10+ Year Old Account
    steam you can play most games offline? and origin is ea?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruka View Post
    steam you can play most games offline?
    Are you asking me??? Because that question mark is confusing. Not sure if you're asking or not.. and anyways MOST is not ALL. I'm surprised I even had to explain that.

---------- Post added 2013-03-27 at 11:52 PM ----------

Yea thats right. Origin is EA. Im just trying to figure out the logic of raging at EA when you're a STEAM user. Im gonna go ahead and say it was hype. My friends, friend complained so I will too kinda deal

Quote Originally Posted by xcureanddisease View Post

But isn't it the same thing???? If not, how is it any different? Now before you answer I am talking about the DRM always online EA forced not their ability(or lack thereof) to keep up with traffic.
    You can play almost 90% of steam games online, if not more. The sim city online BS has caused more problems than it should have, it's just stupid. Also the drm has been cracked by someone already.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

You DO NOT always have to be online to play steam games.

You DO always have to be online to play "Sim City."

It is literally the exact opposite.

The only people that suffer from most forms of DRM especially "Always-On DRM" are legitimate paying customers. Pirates already have workarounds so they don't have to deal with the DRM. Yet I payed $60 for the game, and I have to suffer with the DRM. I never understood why companies like to punish the people who pay their bills. DRM in all forms is useless it never has and never will work.

Are you asking me??? Because that question mark is confusing. Not sure if you're asking or not.. and anyways MOST is not ALL. I'm surprised I even had to explain that.

Yea thats right. Origin is EA. Im just trying to figure out the logic of raging at EA when you're a STEAM user. Im gonna go ahead and say it was hype. My friends, friend complained so I will too kinda deal
    It's not hype, I hate it cause I know the online DRM is the problem in that game, because EA wasn't prepared and it backfired on them majorly.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

He wasn't actually asking he was being sarcastic. No need to insult people, especially when you are jumping to conclusions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Inside View Post
    It's not hype, I hate it cause I know the online DRM is the problem in that game, because EA wasn't prepared and it backfired on them majorly.
    You have a valid point. But I have an honest question for you; set aside your hate towards them for just a bit, now that its working fine, is it all that bad? You guys keep saying. OVER 90% OF STEAM YOU CAN PLAY ONLINE..... But 90% isnt 100%. 99.999999999999% isn't 100%. This is 1 video game that tanked because they couldn't keep up with traffic. So is it still all that bad?

---------- Post added 2013-03-27 at 11:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by huntypus View Post
    He wasn't actually asking he was being sarcastic. No need to insult people, especially when you are jumping to conclusions.
    I was replying with the same sarcasm. I can receive but I cannot give? How does this work exactly?

You have a valid point. But I have an honest question for you; set aside your hate towards them for just a bit, now that its working fine, is it all that bad? You guys keep saying. OVER 90% OF STEAM YOU CAN PLAY ONLINE..... But 90% isnt 100%. 99.999999999999% isn't 100%. This is 1 video game that tanked because they couldn't keep up with traffic. So is it still all that bad?
    You are comparing Steam to ONE game. The argument doesn't make sense. I don't dislike Origin, I dislike the DRM.

Deleted

I was replying with the same sarcasm. I can receive but I cannot give? How does this work exactly?
    The only ones I can think of that you can't play offline are Multiplayer only or have some other form of DRM other than steam also.
    I lost my internet for a few weeks a couple of months ago and had no problems playing all my non-MP games.

SimCity's DRM is dumb because you HAVE to be connected to play the game atall, it saves all the data server side and forces you to connect to them even though it's perfectly possible to disconnect once you are connected and continue playing if you don't care about saving the progress (which you lose if you don't have/lose connection to the server for any reason).

---------- Post added 2013-03-27 at 11:59 PM ----------

I under-exaggerated there, all steam games can be played offline unless it has developer online-only DRM hardcoded. It is bad, I don't and won't support it because that kind of DRM only fucks over the legitimate user, like I've said before the DRM has been cracked already so pirates can play without being online at all.

Deleted
    OP makes no sense. Niether steam nor origin forces you to be online to play your games. Some games in each library might, but most don't.

You can play games in offline modes on both steam and/or origin if you want to or if the servers are down. The Always-on DRM of the game itself is an issue. It doesn't bother me a huge amount, but I can certainly see the problem with it. It is Ironic that people with hacked/pirated version of the game could play and have a good experience with the game but people who forked over their cash for it were unable to play or had horrendous issues playing because of the Always-on DRM.

Otoh, I find people who use steam and whine about origin being invasive to be the trolliest of the trolls. (Not directed at anyone, just saying)

You could talk about Blizzard being sued in South Korea regarding their Server Issues when D3 launched if you want, but that would force this thread to move to more of a discussion of always-on DRM compared to SimCity and Steam, which are two different products that do different things and really shouldn't be compared.

10+ Year Old Account

Wait, the difference really isn't obvious to you? Then you should probably change prescriptions. SimCity's DRM, like Spore's before it, was invasive, sloppy, and disabled relatively easily. Steam, by now, has a relatively light touch and if you have connection problems after starting a game, it won't kick you out. Not to mention that SimCity's DRM was only part of the market's issues with that game. Maxis getting caught in blatant lying was a big part of the fiasco too. Not to mention the terribly obvious bugs that somehow passed their QA.

They were lazy, incompetent, and paid for it, with SimCity's sales doing little better than Spore's from four years ago.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Unless a specific game requires you to be online, neither service needs to be online in order to launch a game. Origin and Steam are no different from each other, other than the fact that one has had more than half a decade to develop and the other has only had a year and a half.

Now, SimCity specifically requires you to be constantly online, but that has nothing to do with Origin.

I really, REALLY wish DRM was the only problem with SC because with WoW I am already used to being always online.

I have been following this game since the first snippets and was really hyped about it. I used a vpn to (try because launch was crap) and play it early. Unfortunately the game itself is complete and utter crap. Nothing works 100% perfect and 75% of everything works very badly or not at all. This is the biggest fail of a game in recent history. At least I can't think of a game that got released like this. I don't know anything about programming but I can easily guess that this game shouldn't have come out before Christmas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, SimCity's issues had more to do with Lucy needing new glasses than Origin or Steam.

Here is the megathread for SC5 by the by.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...read-SimCity-5

The game launched, it floundered, we proved Lucy was lying, panic patches, sales did not impress, John quit, the end.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate Steam/Origin/DRM anything all the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate that I have to be connected to the internet to play star wars the old republic. I don't get why they force us to use the internet to play a single player game.

hate hate thread, very constructive!