Poll: My opinion on Heirlooms is

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Your under the impression that heirlooms are needed to level your character, which kind of isn't true.

Blizzard balances the leveling experience without heirlooms and other bonus XP buffs. The XP buffs are nothing more then bonus which acts like a small gold sink (or in some cases justice points).

And really stress on the ingame mail argument? How the hell did you come up with that......

Not having heirlooms on a different realm is annoying but not game-breaking in any way. If you want to level faster then just take 2 gathering profs and just buy them with the gold your making
    The first statement is definately not true. They are required to level, if They want to make us take the time to do the worst part of the game i.e. levleing/ questing then I refuse to do it without the 45% boost to xp I get with them. Even that isnt enough, if you have a max lvl character why not let us pay to max lvl an alt or something. I hate leveling and quests with a passion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kromus View Post
    Well the OP is right, because it is a problem.

Heirlooms were originally intended to used account wide, across various realms. However Blizzard keep referring to technical issues being the problem. A problem they cannot or will not fix, for years.

Solution? Remove Heirlooms, replace with Buffs. Buffs surely can be provided across different realms,
    I did consider suggesting buffs, but part of the thing I like about the heirlooms is the fact I know I don't need to worry about the majority of my gear until at least level 80... with just having the xp increase as a buff you'd need to pay attention to drops and stuff =p

15+ Year Old Account
    Instead of making them purchasable by gold they should just remove the cost once you buy it on a character. This would first of all stop anyone who doesn't actually have a 80+ character from buying the heirlooms at level 1 (by getting gold from friend or gold farmer).

Basicly a 3000 Justice Point Heirloom costs 0 when you have bought it one time on any character. Or they can just make a Void Storage type of thing that can be accessed by any character on the account, but can only store heirlooms.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Blizz have obviously seen how many people transfer char's to another realm with all heirlooms and would rather you paid £15 for that purpose

I see servers as slowly disappearing as a barrier. As that is happening, I don't really see the point to making BoA items server-specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypasonic View Post
    Blizz have obviously seen how many people transfer char's to another realm with all heirlooms and would rather you paid £15 for that purpose
    I think this is a red herring, I doubt the income from people transferring to move their Heirlooms is that great, however I think that they are worried that if people were able to transfer their heirlooms they might take this option over a server transfer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    Instead of making them purchasable by gold they should just remove the cost once you buy it on a character. This would first of all stop anyone who doesn't actually have a 80+ character from buying the heirlooms at level 1 (by getting gold from friend or gold farmer).

Basicly a 3000 Justice Point Heirloom costs 0 when you have bought it one time on any character. Or they can just make a Void Storage type of thing that can be accessed by any character on the account, but can only store heirlooms.
    This^^ great idea and simple solution to the justice/honor heirlooms and I guess it could be associated to the guild rep one aswell

Thing I've found is that blizz can't actually track heirlooms that well since they are considered ilvl1 items (I've lost 2 full sets of plate gear and weps from leveling a warrior which I mailed to the next plate alt I was going to level never to be seen again)

Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    I always love threads like this.

"Solution to the this'n'that problem." "My idea to solve the such'n'so problem" "Why dont we adress the andsoforth problem like this?"

I wasn't aware these topics deserved to be called 'problems'.
    Please, spare us the pseudo-intellectual garbage. The fact that some don't see it as a problem, but others do still means it's a problem, just not for everyone. As it is, it's a problem without a good reason for being.

Blizzard have numerous options for getting around this matter, easily. However, like fixing dying realms, they have a financial motivation not to fix said issue. The CMs pretty well constantly gloss over this fact with "it's difficult, trust us", much like "we'll fix realms when it's necessary" while there are servers where one faction consists entirely of one guild. Even the realm merge name issue has an obvious and simple resolution. If it's a unique name, that's what you get, if two share the same name, one becomes John-realmx, the other John-realmy. Then assign their armory urls a 2-3 letter original realm suffix at the end to prevent confusion.

I always love threads like this.

"Solution to the this'n'that problem." "My idea to solve the such'n'so problem" "Why dont we adress the andsoforth problem like this?"

I wasn't aware these topics deserved to be called 'problems'.
    What I find to be the "problem" is heirlooms is that they take away from the feel from the game. I have a priest that I have been leveling on the side, determined to get him to level 60 and keep him there (my alts always end up getting eternally forgotten at random levels). Anyway, while leveling said priest, I decided to keep every piece of gear that I would have used as an upgrade to a previous piece. The catch is, I only did this for where I had heirloom items (helm, shoulder, back, chest, legs).

Now at the level of 57, I have my entire default bank-space and 4 18-slot bags full of gear, ranging from commons to greens/blues and even a low-level BoE epic. I've literally had to start carrying them on my main that's how much I gear I have had the opportunity to not use. That's what I feel the "problem" is. My favorite part about this game is gearing up and making your character better. Heirlooms take away from such opportunities, that when a cool piece of gear drops I am forced to think, "Oh that would have been nice, but it would be silly to ever swap out of my heirlooms."

Wish that heirlooms weren't a physical piece of gear, but rather a "enchant" you could use on a specific slot on your character to increase experienced game - making them more of a buff. That or a "token" you could carry that awarded 5% increased exp gain, but was only stackable 5-7 times.
    Last edited by proteen; 2013-03-28 at 02:04 PM.

Op why do you think they can easly unlock it. Do you work with the wow code? Its a thing they would have alrdy thought of. But alot of things are server wise. Hence the alt valor bonus buff.they could not get it account wide

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    The heirlooms that cost something other than Gold are largely useless due to the huge XP increases and substantial decrease in xp needed per level for the 1-80 experience. Plus Guild Perks, plus rested, etc. etc..
    Leveling x% faster is NEVER useless. Even if you can level from 1 to 90 in 10 hours (which you cant but well) it will still save you x% of this time.

Better statement would have been: "For me those are useless" or "I think they are useless". If you cant make use of something, it doesnt automatically imply that noone else can.

I personally hate leveling with such a passion that i wont level another toon even if they fix this. But i hated it from the start that blizzard called those items "BOA - Bound on account" while they never were. All they ever made it to was BOAAS - Bound on account and server.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryve View Post
    Please, spare us the pseudo-intellectual garbage. The fact that some don't see it as a problem, but others do still means it's a problem, just not for everyone. As it is, it's a problem without a good reason for being.
    "I do not understand this statement, better insult the poster's intelligence just to be sure."

Nowhere did I deny that this topic might infact be a problem to some.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Quote Originally Posted by loki504 View Post
    Op why do you think they can easly unlock it. Do you work with the wow code? Its a thing they would have alrdy thought of. But alot of things are server wise. Hence the alt valor bonus buff.they could not get it account wide
    In the past you used to get account bound pets in the mail when you created a new character regardless of what realm the new character was created on so it stands to reason that a similar, modified system could be used for heirlooms. We, also, have account wide achievements, pets and mounts now which I'm sure they could use as basis for account wide heirlooms

They already have systems to transfer characters and even whole guilds with full guild banks, achievements, perks and rep so I doubt it is as difficult as they claim and certainly not so difficult that a company of Blizzard's size, ability and calibre could not develop a system in over four years.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    First of all, there might be reasons why "they should just..." isn't as easy as we may think. And second: I don't see it as a problem. Maybe because I levelled for a long time without heirlooms. Raising first 9, then 10, now 11 characters (15 if I count the one I deleted in lv between 40 and 70) is sth I have done in the last 8 years and at the end of each x-pack my roster was pretty much filled with max lv toons.

So it boils down to perception if there really is a "heirloom" problem. Seeing how fast my monk outlevels zones...that 30% more or less wouldn't be the be-all-end-all.
    You could probably say that most problems are a matter of "perception". I mean a hurricane in Haiti is not a problem for me, but you better believe it's a problem for the people living there. Conversely, if I'm the only person in the world who sees something like an issue in a computer game as a "problem" then I'm not going to expect anything to be done about. If something is an issue- for whatever reason- for enough people and a solution is at hand which doesn't create more problems then I think it's safe to say that it should be a reasonable expectation for it to be implemented.
    OT As far as I'm aware the reason Blizzard don't make heirlooms some sort of one time purchase account wide unlockable is that they want them to retain their feeling of being individual items and they are looking for a solution to make sending them to another realm possible. Take that as you may. As for removing upgrades, I think you are definitely dreaming with this part.

Deleted
    Yes it is kinda annoying having bought all heirlooms on one realm and then starting a new char on another realm and not having access.

My solution:
    upon purchase of a certain heirloom on a realm you get an achivement.

If you have an achivement that shows that you bought an heirloom weapon on one server, when you go to the vendor on another realm there will be the possibility to buy that weapon on that other realm.

Much like the way that you need certain achivements to buy stuff from the guild herald.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heirlooms should be changed to "Bind on Server" rather than BOA.

The heirloom pvp trinket should be changed to "Binds to Faction (alliance/horde) - server" because even though you can still mail it between factions, you are not allowed to equip it on a toon of the opposite faction. Either that or make it just a pvp trinket without the faction being a part of it (would make the most sense imo).

This question of whether or not you should be able to mail them across servers would be moot, as they would be BOS (bound on server), which is what they really are now anyways. So if Blizzard wanted to keep it as is, then they should just change the name to BOS

If they were to make them truly BOA, then I agree that they should make a tab similar to the account bound mounts/pets that can be used on various servers. That would also eliminate the problem of them being lost in the mail, or accidentally sold, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    In the past you used to get account bound pets in the mail when you created a new character regardless of what realm the new character was created on so it stands to reason that a similar, modified system could be used for heirlooms. We, also, have account wide achievements, pets and mounts now which I'm sure they could use as basis for account wide heirlooms

They already have systems to transfer characters and even whole guilds with full guild banks, achievements, perks and rep so I doubt it is as difficult as they claim and certainly not so difficult that a company of Blizzard's size, ability and calibre could not develop a system in over four years.
    how do you know if it is hard? use they could use the mass mailing system like they did for pets/mounts. but as they said also thats not someting they want.
    and yes acount was stuff is happening. but how long did it took them? just saying because a company is doesn't mean its easy.

also the basic code was made many years ago and then mmo's where not someting we want now.

---------- Post added 2013-03-28 at 06:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Boramir View Post
    Heirlooms should be changed to "Bind on Server" rather than BOA.

The heirloom pvp trinket should be changed to "Binds to Faction (alliance/horde) - server" because even though you can still mail it between factions, you are not allowed to equip it on a toon of the opposite faction. Either that or make it just a pvp trinket without the faction being a part of it (would make the most sense imo).

This question of whether or not you should be able to mail them across servers would be moot, as they would be BOS (bound on server), which is what they really are now anyways. So if Blizzard wanted to keep it as is, then they should just change the name to BOS

If they were to make them truly BOA, then I agree that they should make a tab similar to the account bound mounts/pets that can be used on various servers. That would also eliminate the problem of them being lost in the mail, or accidentally sold, etc.
    yea because they should totaly make new items to change boa to bos. because there is noting else to work on.......

10+ Year Old Account
    Instead of a full set of looms, make one trinket. It would be something like:

Heirloom of the Champion (Alliance) / Heirloom of the Legend (Horde)
    Item Level 1
    Binds to Account on Realm
    Unique-Equipped
    Miscellaneous
    Trinket

Equip: +10 to all stats and increase Experience gain by 65%. Stacks concurrently with Guild Experience Perk.
    Requires Level 1 - 85
    Requires Faction - Exalted (Must be exalted with all 6 Faction Races)

Cost: 10,000 gold

Then, once you have at least one toon Exalted with all 6 races, you can purchase this trinket and mail one to each alt on the realm. No more need for BoA gear. This would give each all the "gear bonuses" without having to wear the gear. Just my opinion.

"I do not understand this statement, better insult the poster's intelligence just to be sure."

Nowhere did I deny that this topic might infact be a problem to some.
    Is that quote your mantra? Otherwise, I'm not sure why you're sharing it with the group.

As much as I'd love to hear your attempts to down play your original statement, you can save it. Scurry along now.

OP, this isn't really worth a poll.

Blizzard has already stated that they're not against cross realm BoA's and it's something they want to do and are working on. They have already stated that they do not want to use the mail system and want to implement something account wide that can be accessed from the UI either from something similar to a spell book page or a drop down from the character pane like the way titles work.

The biggest sign that cross realm heirlooms are coming was 5.0 when mounts and pets became account wide. Since Blizzard was able to implement this, the reality of cross realm BoA's became much clearer. I believe we're going to see cross realm BoA's this expansion. In fact, I believe it's going to be the upcoming "big surprise" that has already been hinted at by the blues.