Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Whats your thoughts about SmartWatches?

Hey there MMO-champs on the computer forums!

I have been looking for a watch for a pretty long time, and i have come across a lot of watches!

Now for a few days i have been looking at SmartWatches, but i can't really decide weather or not they are worth it or not.

So basically as the title says, whats your thoughts on Smartwatches? Would you like one? are they too "big"?

I attached a few links with some watches, i would need one for iPhone if i got myself one

http://getpebble.com/
    http://www.sonymobile.com/us/product...es/smartwatch/
    http://www.imsmart.com/en

Watches are meant to be big, it's the fashion now. What worries me more is the battery life on those.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I've seen, it's basically a little android device with a touchscreen, and some stock apps made by the developer.

Doesn't really have an appeal to me, my alarm is on my phone, same with knowing what the time is etc.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Personally I don't like them, but they sound pretty neat. Will always prefer the traditional luxury style over a large flat square with a screen though.
    Last edited by Libram; 2013-03-28 at 02:18 PM.

Waiting on my pebble!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Watches are meant to be big, it's the fashion now. What worries me more is the battery life on those.
    Maybe they should make them self-winding, a la automatic quartz. Not sure exactly how much juice that will produce though.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    that's entirely subjective tbh.
    I much prefer a small unobtrusive digital watch for day to day use, and have a "diver style" watch for nights out etc. Having one of these huge "smart watches" around my wrist would make me paranoid about breaking them.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pointless.

There is a clock on my phone.
    And on my computer.
    And on the microwave.
    Oven.
    Coffee-maker.
    Wall.
    The other wall.
    Cable box.
    Stereo.
    Car.
    Oh that wall too.
    Every classroom in my college.
    Every computer in my college.

See my point?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Snixs View Post
    Hey there MMO-champs on the computer forums!

I have been looking for a watch for a pretty long time, and i have come across a lot of watches!

Now for a few days i have been looking at SmartWatches, but i can't really decide weather or not they are worth it or not.

So basically as the title says, whats your thoughts on Smartwatches? Would you like one? are they too "big"?

I attached a few links with some watches, i would need one for iPhone if i got myself one

http://getpebble.com/
    http://www.sonymobile.com/us/product...es/smartwatch/
    http://www.imsmart.com/en
    I'm a watch collector myself, but let me ask first: What is your budget?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Pointless.

And on my computer.
    And on the microwave.
    Oven.
    Coffee-maker.
    Wall.
    The other wall.
    Cable box.
    Stereo.
    Car.
    Oh that wall too.

See my point?
    I have a distinct feeling you are missing what a smartwatch is.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Pointless.

And on my computer.
    And on the microwave.
    Oven.
    Coffee-maker.
    Wall.
    The other wall.
    Cable box.
    Stereo.
    Car.
    Oh that wall too.

See my point?
    Horlogerie isn't about reading time.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2013-03-28 at 08:24 PM.

Deleted
    Short answer: Not yet.

Companies will try to make 'SmartWatches' the next big thing tightly followed by 'SmartGlasses'. It will take time before they mature; there's honestly not a product on the market today that is solid - at least not in my opinion.

SmartWatches will be all about ease of use, battery life and functions while still looking nice. Features include anything from notifications to completely remote-controlling your phone with your voice. But, battery-life is the big thing here; nobody wants to recharge their watch every day. Not only that, but people want their watch to display something (the time) all the time, not just when you press a button or flick your wrist.

The way I see it, there are a few things to counter the battery. Either, you make a device that isn't very powerful (or rather, that trades performance, screen quality, back-light power with a longer battery life) or...
    - Remote recharging through a night-stand (no need to plug in a cable).
    - Smart battery-saving methods that turns features off when not in use.
    - Better battery capacity or better hardware that offers more performance per watt (future).

Features is of great importance here. Companies are looking at SmartWatches as an accessory to your phone, but I say it needs to be bigger than that. A stand-alone device if you will.
    - Be able to connect directly to services through WiFi or 3G, bypassing the need to keep your phone within Bluetooth range. Notifications should be from your SmartWatch, not from your phone via your watch.
    - Remote/control functionality for simple tasks; being able to control your TV, stereo, computer, smartphone, tablet, etc (via voice, gestures or touch). Think leap-motion.
    - Add calendar entries, notes, memos, etc on the go without having to pull out your phone.

A lot of the above will require some innovative ideas/solutions. (Bluetooth microphone, gestures via a gyroscope, light-sensor, built-in GPS, setup via PC, etc.)

I've had a LiveView for a few months and while it's nice to get your notifications in your watch the excitements ends there. Changing song is also a great feature. It needs to be within a few meters of my tablet or it will completely loose most (all) of this functionality minus the clock.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2013-03-28 at 08:46 PM.

Deleted
    fashion watches are big for the sake of showing off.
    real diver/pilot watches are big/heavy due to the way they are build in order to sustain extremes whilst still performing with impeccible accuracy.
    i don't see the point in a watch that needs to be recharged every day. (also people already spend enough time on their phones as it is)

10+ Year Old Account
    Pointless.

And on my computer.
    And on the microwave.
    Oven.
    Coffee-maker.
    Wall.
    The other wall.
    Cable box.
    Stereo.
    Car.
    Oh that wall too.

See my point?
    This sums it up prety well I'd say. I have a watch but I haven't worn it in something like seven years. Aside from peacocking for those attracted to shiny things, there's just no reason to buy a watch if you live in the modern world.

Quote Originally Posted by jahasafrat View Post
    This sums it up prety well I'd say. I have a watch but I haven't worn it in something like seven years. Aside from peacocking for those attracted to shiny things, there's just no reason to buy a watch if you live in the modern world.
    Jewelry has nothing to do with being functional or not. A ring isn't functional, nor is a diamond. Watches fall in that category.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Jewelry has nothing to do with being functional or not. A ring isn't functional, nor is a diamond. Watches fall in that category.
    a watch is the only usefull piece of jewelry.
    most people just think time, but a watch tells allot about a person when you first meet him/her.
    functional is perhaps not the best word to link to a watch but it offers more then meets the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    a watch is the only usefull piece of jewelry.
    most people just think time, but a watch tells allot about a person when you first meet him/her.
    functional is perhaps not the best word to link to a watch but it offers more then meets the eye.
    The same thing can be said about ANY kind of jewelry mate.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm intrigued at this point. I'm taking a wait and see mentality right now. Though having a Dick Tracy wristwatch sounds cool

Deleted
    I don't see the point. It's just 1 extra thing that you'll be pissed when you realized you are half way to work and you forgot to charge it, when a normal watch can last a few years without needing a new battery, even some of the more expensive watches not even needing a battery.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    The same thing can be said about ANY kind of jewelry mate.
    still watches can actually be used for helpfull tasks, i fail to see how a ring/necklace/wristband could do things like that beyond looking pretty. (watches and navigating for example)
    also pretty good thing that when all else fails that watch will still be running, perhaps an what if scenario but rather safe than sorry. (so called mappo meter saved my ass in the alps when gps systems decided to bug out)