Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

I don't like PvP. what does GW2 have for me?

A local store has an offer until the 7th of April where GW2 is 40 EUR, and I got a coupon for 15 EUR as well. But whenever I hear about GW2, people are talking about the PvP side of things. However, I absolutely hate PvP, mainly because I'm awful at it in most games.

so what does GW2 have for me? I've heard that there are some pretty nice jumping puzzles ingame, and that there's a lot of exploration in the game as well.

I've tried the BWE 3 and I was in the Nord starting zone, and I hated how crowded it was. I felt like it didn't matter if I was there or not, and that I couldn't get any meaningful personal progression going.

Even with all that, the game does seem pretty attractive if I can get it for 25 EUR, as I can now. however, I need to know that I am able to play the game without ever having to involve myself into PvP.

Deleted
    I've never entered the PvP side and I'm still not through all the PvE content. The overcrowding was a problem of the beta weekends because the amount of servers was still limited. The only place where you get overcrowding in PvE nowadays is with the big dragon events, but that's just a trivial part of the game. Anyhow, let's focus on what I enjoy in PvE:

1) Dungeons. Now, I know many people will say that it has no real end-purpose, but is there in any game? In WoW you chase the endless gear mill. I run the dungeons for fun times with my friends and for the challenge. Getting higher and higher in Fractal of the mist is already fun for me.

2) Exploring the world. Yes! In WoW I just wanted to fly from city to raid and that was it. In GW2 just wandering in the world is already big fun. You coma across beautifull places, fun dynamic events, etc.

3) Personal story. This is your typical offline RPG game. So basically you get two for one: the traditional questing of MMORPG's, but also a story to play through on your own pace (or with friends if you want).

4) Jumping puzzle. My hands tends to get sweaty when making that hard jump, but when I actually get to the end, I really get that achieving feeling.

5) Guild missions. Like dungeons, it's fun to group up with a bunch of friends and try to coordinate everything. It's very cool that you have to go through different zones!

There is plenty of other stuff, but these are the ones I do the most In addition, World v World may be a very good introduction to PvP for you. It's not hardcore PvP, but more an open battle field. Group up with people and roam the place. I tend to avoid zergs, small tactical groups are much more fun. I would say it's more a mixture of PvE and PvP. In conclusion I would say GW2 is one of the best games I ever bought and I'm still enjoying it after all these months. Defenitely worth my money!

10+ Year Old Account
    You never have to touch PvP if you're not interested, many people don't.

33 dungeon paths
    43 jumping puzzles
    Fractals
    countless mini dungeons
    26 zones
    3000+ dynamic events
    Guild missions

It has a fully fleshed out PvE game, 25 EUR is a steal.
    Valar morghulis

Unlike its predecessor, GW2 is PvE-centric.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    You never have to touch PvP if you're not interested, many people don't.

33 dungeon paths
    43 jumping puzzles
    Fractals
    countless mini dungeons
    26 zones
    3000+ dynamic events
    Guild missions

It has a fully fleshed out PvE game, 25 EUR is a steal.
    I'll just leave this here, because...pictures>words.
    http://i.imgur.com/92t6X.jpg

This jumping puzzle was the scariest for me by far, especially with the camera shake (who would turn that off, seriously.......?!). I need to go back, I miss the jumping puzzles. I've hardly done any sPvP and do WvW because it's like PvE/PvP hybrid with the server community.
    Last edited by WorldofWorkcraft; 2013-03-28 at 05:47 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post

This jumping puzzle was the scariest for me by far, especially with the camera shake (who would turn that off, seriously.......?!). I need to go back, I miss the jumping puzzles. I've hardly done any sPvP and do WvW because it's like PvE/PvP hybrid with the server community.
    0.O OMG where is that one!?

I've almost done all of them but haven't did that yet

10+ Year Old Account

You need to go back bcuz Continue Coins.
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Continue_Coin

I've been running JPs pretty much nonstop, you can get the coins on your alts too.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by syom View Post
    0.O OMG where is that one!?
    Fireheart rise.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    You need to go back bcuz Continue Coins.
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Continue_Coin

I've been running JPs pretty much nonstop, you can get the coins on your alts too.
    Considering no one knows what they're for, could be for nothing. Also I did do some but got no coins. Also, I only need 1 life. I'm a pro.

Deleted
    Imagine yourself hitting max level, then never logging back in.

Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    You then have to ask what exactly do you play games for?

Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    Ok I imagined now. Now back to my level 80 with 600 hours logged at that level.

There's plenty to do. Just comes down to if it fits your playstyle.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    A local store has an offer until the 7th of April where GW2 is 40 EUR, and I got a coupon for 15 EUR as well. But whenever I hear about GW2, people are talking about the PvP side of things. However, I absolutely hate PvP, mainly because I'm awful at it in most games.

so what does GW2 have for me? I've heard that there are some pretty nice jumping puzzles ingame, and that there's a lot of exploration in the game as well.

I've tried the BWE 3 and I was in the Nord starting zone, and I hated how crowded it was. I felt like it didn't matter if I was there or not, and that I couldn't get any meaningful personal progression going.

Even with all that, the game does seem pretty attractive if I can get it for 25 EUR, as I can now. however, I need to know that I am able to play the game without ever having to involve myself into PvP.
    In all honesty the game is more a pve game at this point, so you should feel pleased

Deleted
    Honestly, I'm not really that interested in PvP and WvW downright infuriates me. There's a lot to do if you like stuff that isn't waiting around for your guild to assemble for a raid. Go out into the world, do stupid shit, collect some vistas, farm some something and do something. Honestly, it's hard to describe what there is to do, but you won't get bored for quite a while unless you're one of these who can't see past raiding as the only viable end-game content.

As I'm sure fencers will assert, there is no 'end game' per se, and the same is true for all of the Guild Wars games, it simply comes down to how you play the game. Take Guild Wars Nightfall, for example. As the story progresses, you get more powerful, sure, as more powerful enemies turn up. You start on Istan, an island off the Elonan mainland. You leave Istan at around level 15-18 to get to Kourna, one of the county/country kind of things. By the time you leave Kourna into Vabbi, you are most certainly level 20 (max level) yet the game still keeps on going. You have to complete Vabbi, then you complete Desolation, then you complete the Realm of Tourment, and throughout your advancement you will discover not more powerful items or abilities, but rather different items and abilities. Vabbian armour, primeval armour, ancient armour - all of this you won't reach before visiting the places and, indeed, things like Primeval armour could only be obtained after defeating the 'final' boss of Nightfall (not really the final one, there's an elite mission afterwards). One didn't just get to level 20 in GW then go and sit in Lion's Arch waiting for a dungeon group, ignoring the rest of the content.

So what is there to do? Collect things, like in GW2. Do PvE content that isn't instanced or do your personal story or story mode dungeons, play around with dynamic events, do jumping puzzles if you have the patience of a saint - even drop into WvW if you're nothing like me, someone who wants to gouge their eyeballs out with a spoon every time I get into WvW.

TL;DR Do PvE content. Open-world play doesn't stop at 80. Collect stuff.

NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE

I discovered this fun last night! You can hunt world bosses. "Guesting" on other servers allows you take down five or six of these bad boys in a two-hour time frame.

www.guildwarstemple.com/dragontimer/

You don't even have to be max levels to hunt these.

Another bit of fun is if you liked trading on Eve Online, the Trading Post in GW2 works on a very similar system with buy and sell orders. The interface and tools available are nowhere near the caliber of Eve, but "market PvP" may fulfill some daytrading kick for you.

The other aspect of GW2 similar to Eve Online is that in-game currency (gold) can be exchanged for the cash shop currency (gems).

Quote Originally Posted by LonestarHero View Post
    I discovered this fun last night! You can hunt world bosses. "Guesting" on other servers allows you take down five or six of these bad boys in a two-hour time frame.

www.guildwarstemple.com/dragontimer/

You don't even have to be max levels to hunt these.

Another bit of fun is if you liked trading on Eve Online, the Trading Post in GW2 works on a very similar system with buy and sell orders. The interface and tools available are nowhere near the caliber of Eve, but "market PvP" may fulfill some daytrading kick for you.

The other aspect of GW2 similar to Eve Online is that in-game currency (gold) can be exchanged for the cash shop currency (gems).
    World bosses are a joke, it gets so crowded that you can ignore every single mechanic.

Hell I don't even know the mechanics of the shatter, every time I do it I just try and spam 1 to get kill credit because of all the people making it lagg.

Yeah they need to make the Shatterer more potent. I mean there are crystals to break and adds that come but everything gets blown up so quickly that it doesn't matter. It was actually pretty fun before all of this boss hunting began. With a group of 5 or 6 it was a pretty decent challenge.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Yeah they need to make the Shatterer more potent. I mean there are crystals to break and adds that come but everything gets blown up so quickly that it doesn't matter. It was actually pretty fun before all of this boss hunting began. With a group of 5 or 6 it was a pretty decent challenge.
    There's that... But then there's Claw of Jormag with 5 people.

Eventually, the players stop responding. They had starved to death at their PCs before he had gone into the second phase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Claw of Jormag definitely grew some teeth since the last patch rofl. If you need the rezzing allies for your daily it's a good place to go haha.
    Valar morghulis

Not much, but even if you don't generally like PvP you might still enjoy WvW.