Ulduar had less trash, that is pretty much the only reason I didn't say ToT is better.
better than Ulduar
comparable to Ulduar
a little worse than Ulduar
a lot worse than Ulduar
4. Black Temple
5. Tempest Keep/Serpentshrine Caverns
6. Blackwing Lair
7. Zul'Gurub/Ruins of Ahn'Qiraj
8. Upper Blackrock Spire
10. Throne of Thunder
Things I've taken into consideration:
1. Amosphere, lore of raid
2. Events around raid launch
3. Fun and new mechanics during boss fights
Last edited by Housemdoctor; 2013-03-29 at 07:28 AM.
The lack of open-ended progression and no hard modes through mechanics is disappointing for me in ToT.
i find ToT very enjoyable, far more then any other raid between it and ulduar.
however in my mind ulduar was still better, might be cause it was or nostaligic feelings.
so i voted little bit worse then ulduar.
As previous people mentioned. I rate it about on-par with ICC. Even, I give ICC a slight edge due to the wings. I like wings over straight progress..
And ICC kicks the crap out of this lorewise obviously.
What I think is important, is that, the boss fights themselves are good. But what makes ToT not even comparable to Ulduar.
1. Trash, the trash in ulduar was AMAZING, except for freya and vezax trash, I actually enjoyed doing the trash. The trash before Ignis was harder then the bosses in Naxx, it was just an amazing feeling. ToT trash blows.
2. The looks, ToT does not impress me in the cosmetics. Though it is hard to compare with the titan theme. Titan theme just looks amazing.
3. The 9000 achievements on the boss. There were soooo many achievements there, and for any achievement hunter, it was a dream. Some of those achievements was a lot of fun and required to play a boss fight in a way that it wasn't "supposed" to be played, making it an entirely new fight. The achievements were really the cherry on the top for ulduar.
4. Activated hardmodes. Yes, I hear the "is click a red button more fun than changing a raid difficulty?". Yes, yes it is. Well step one, ulduar was the first raid to introduce this (sarth3d). So it was new and fresh. FL, Freya, Council and Yogg had 3-5 modes each, that you actively chose in which way you did it. Pressing mimirons giant red button, was a wonderful feeling. DPSing that heart down to 0% watching X2 regain his strength, awesome. Thorim time trial, was fun the first few times until it became automatic. Vezax "WHY DID YOU KILL A GREEN CLOUD? Wipe it!".
Last edited by Firefly33; 2013-03-29 at 09:41 AM.
Volun-told - A supposedly optional event, award, assignment, or activity in which a person (or persons) are required to attend either by persons-in-charge nominating them or their peers expecting them to be there. The individual often has no say in the matter, and non-attendance in frowned upon.
I am so tired of seeing terrible people, being admired, for being terrible people.
So far it's not bad but there are way too much trash.
I am thankful to Blizzard for making an easy first boss, helping late unstuffed raiders and motivating them, contrary to Mogushan Palace whose first boss seriously slowed many casual guilds.
I find the trend though that LFR, normal and sometimes heroic are basically the same encounters - only harder - disappointing as it's all the same again and again with sometimes a very small mechanism added. I would welcome more différences.
Like they could have easily done it this tier:
Jin'rokh: Break all 4 water statues and have no water entire fight.
Last edited by Libertarian; 2013-03-29 at 10:04 AM.
<Divinity> US-Kel'thuzad 14/14H US 8th 10 man | 14/14H 25 man
Recruiting exceptional raiders for 20man mythic content. Click here to apply.
Horridon: Leaving certain door combinations open until the end of the fight
Council: Kill Gara'jal's spirit before killing the bosses, killing him empowers all of the council
Tortos: Kick a turtle into a wall that floods the room, eventually killing everyone
Megaera: Kill 3 heads in a specific order and you fight 3 at once + 3 launching stuff
Ji-Kun: Destroy all the eggs in the nest causing her to X2 style enrage
The new raids are so overtuned now they arent as fun as ulduar was.
I haven't finished it on Heroic so I'm not ready to make the call but I disagree that Ulduar should be the standard here.
Seriously when my group got to twin consorts we one shot it and were all kind of stunned about how easy it was.
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." -Friedrich Nietzsche
Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
My guild is hardly the greatest thing ever, and we'll be killing at least Megara this week (hopefully Ji-Kun as well; we only do 2 raid nights a week, the 2nd longer than the first, and we killed through tortos on our first night this week). The gear helps a *lot* this tier, and due to some last minute roster/role swaps we had a lot of people below the 496 ilvl going into ToT. First time out I could barely withstand the stupid bats on Tortos; now I laugh at them.
Being able to advance doesn't automatically mean being able to do a full clear in the first couple weeks.
I am enjoying Throne of Thunder more than any Cata raid, but considering my opinion of Cata raids that's not saying much. atm, ToT is probably my 3rd favorite raid of the ones I did as a current content raider, tied for 3rd with ICC. (Karazhan and Ulduar tie for 1st).