View Poll Results: How would you compare Throne of Thunder compared to Ulduar?

Voters
424. This poll is closed
  • better than Ulduar

87 20.52%
  • comparable to Ulduar

174 41.04%
  • a little worse than Ulduar

116 27.36%
  • a lot worse than Ulduar

47 11.08%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Throne of Thunder is in my eyes definitely one of the best raid zones created. ToT and Ulduar are my personal favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by Gondlem View Post
    If I was to rank the tiers I've raided since Vanilla I'd put them in the following categories.

Exceptional
    Ulduar
    Sunwell
    ToT

Solid
    SSC/TK
    BT/Hyjal
    BWD/BoT/TotFW
    Kara/Gruul/Mag

Mediocre
    ICC
    Firelands
    Naxx/Maly/Sarth

Awful
    DS
    ToC

ToT stands up very well IMO. Great atmosphere, tight tuning, interesting mechanics, and accompanied by some solid content outside of the raid as well. As a heroic raider, the most fun I've had during progression since Ulduar.
    This is a pretty good classification, one I'd just about agree with(never did Sunwell or DS though).

I am loving ToT so far. Only 5 bosses down, should have Ji Kun down Sunday, and the bosses are a lot of fun with unique and interesting mechanics. It compares quite favorably to Ulduar. I still have Ulduar as my #1 raid though, it just felt more epic and massive in scale and the fact that it was non-linear is a huge plus. But ToT is definitely an awesome raid. Kudos to Blizz on a job well done.

"comparable to Ulduar" got the most votes and I agree. ToT is a lot better than ICC and I think it's comparable to Ulduar but as a patch 5.2 blows Ulduar's patch out of the water. In overall boss fights I think ToT did it much better too. There were some uninspired boss fights in Ulduar. I also hate faceroll bosses like FL and Gunship. I love cool HM activation of Ulduar though.

There is too much trash all of it with some BS mechanic. Just let me get to the next boss in a few pulls.

i feel one of the reason people look so highly on ulduar is because it was the last "exclusive" raid, meaning only a certain amount saw in during real progression and most head about it in hearsay or did it in gear beyond the level. not saying it was a bad raid, but as a raider who has done both, i feel both had good and bad fights, the hydra thing is as stupid as razorscale, i find jin'rohk on par with council or hodir, but on a whole i think ToT is better than ulduar.

one note on hardmode activation, half of them were just the same fight with some silly extra mechanic, and really most could be in today's system with out changing a single thing. hodir, thorim, would have just added wipe out enrage timers, mimiron was literally a button, I'll say fraya, FL, and yogg were different, BUT!!!!, it really sucked having to pick between progressing towards conquer of ulduar achieve, and hardmode

at some point i hope the rose tinted glasses come off and people realiste that ulduar was just a good raid tier sandwiched between 2 bad raid tiers
    Last edited by MrWiggles; 2013-03-30 at 07:31 AM.
    Whether the world's greatest gnats or the world's greatest heroes, you're still only mortal!

Yeah Ulduar was a great zone but I think the "hard mode activation vs switch" difference is a bit overrated. Keep in mind that a number of fights in Ulduar had no hard mode at all, and some of the hard modes were pretty uninspired. Kill Hodir in 3 minutes was basically the same as killing Hodir, though more aggressive play added some new elements it really didn't feel like a whole new fight the way ToT heroics did and barely counts as a hard mode, for example.

It was definitely a great zone though, I just don't care as much about whether we push the red button or click the ui.

Quote Originally Posted by matthias9742 View Post
    You shouldn't have to clear heroic anything in a previous tier to be able to advance to the next normal mode raiding tier once you have the item level associated with the previous tier. That means that a 496 geared player should be able to advance in T15 without massive struggle or being in the top 1800 guilds, at least for the first few bosses. As is most guilds cant get past Horridon or Council and we will probably see further nerfs to them and other bosses in the next few weeks if the number of clears doesn't nearly double each week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood fox View Post
    If you didn't clear at lest half of the heroic in tier 14 there's a good chance that you didn't clear it all in the first week. To be honest I find twin consorts and durumu and dark animus to be very very easy bosses on normal.
    If you didn't clear at lest half of the heroic in tier 14 there's a good chance that you didn't clear it all in the first week.
    the first week.
    horridon and council were both nerfed and I really doubt they will be nerfing it any further.

Btw I was I level 500 when we full cleared ToT, completely plausible to clear it in 496

Deleted
    It's good, but I liked the HM boss style of ulduar more (activate during the fight).

Deleted
    i like the design from ToT , all the trash and many boss mechanics! all in all i really enjoy like i did it in Ulduar

My full list of the tiers starting from tier 4, which was the first tier I raided at the proper level. Single great boss encounters such as Lich King, Ragnaros and Kael'thas are in my opinions not enough to carry a whole tier, even if they will bump it up.

T8 > T6 >= T11 > T15 > T14 > T10 = T4 > T5 = T12 > T9 >= T13 > T7

I am admittedly slightly undecided about the whole middle section with T4, T5, and T10. T15 is also fresh and I have not completed 13/13 on heroic so it might still move up or down. It is further worth noting that I am no doubt viewing T8 through some rose-tinted glasses since before that I had been raiding somewhat casually, not to mention the massive contrast between T7 and T8 which undoubtedly makes T8 seem even better.

Another thing worth mentioning is that the environmental and graphical design plays a big role on top of everything else.

I also agree that a better wording for the topic would have been to simply ask how people compare ToT to Ulduar.

Never did Ulduar, but so far I am not liking ToT much. Jin'Rohk and Megaera are pretty good, but Horridon, Council, Tortos and Ji'kun are all terrible bosses. They were/are no fun to progress on and I am already tired of farming Horridon, Council and Tortos after 2-3 kills. Horridon and Council are total cluster*****. I have no idea why I hate Tortos and Ji'kun, but I do. Unless it really picks up from here I can't really see this tier beeing even close to decent. I prefered T14 over this, and that's even counting the terrible bosses like Garalon, Amber-Shaper Unsok and the ridiculously overtuned Elegon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondlem View Post
    Solid
    SSC/TK
    BT/Hyjal
    BWD/BoT/TotFW
    Kara/Gruul/Mag
    Putting BT and Hyjal on the same step is interesting. I wouldn't rank them on the same step, personally.
    IMHO, ICC should go up to "solid" and Hyjal back to "Mediocre". Just my opinion.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

10+ Year Old Account
    It has better boss fights than Ulduar, that's for sure. Still has it crap fights as well, but Ulduar only had 2-3 good fights and some of the worst ever.

I don't like being forced into a set route, I don't like the one direction corridors Blizz almost always go for, let us get lost in instances again and laugh at people who get lost after it's been out for ages.

It looks better than Ulduar and overall is better, but Ulduar is overrated imo, sure it was good, there are just lots which are better.

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked Ulduar a little better but I think it's because I like the visuals of the zone better. Ulduar seemed to have better aesthetic flow. The different wings of ToT feel a little disjointed and lack a unifying visual theme. They all look great don't get me wrong but I just think Ulduar's appearance flowed better from wing to wing. Even though the watcher rooms all looked very different, they still were all connected to the central room which linked them to the look of the raid overall, that mystical titan architecture. As for the bosses in ToT, I'd say they're pretty comparable. All very enjoyable with an appropriate difficulty curve, at least on normal.
    Aelmagus
    <Delusions of Grandeur>
    [H] Runetotem - US

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Oh, PVP twinks. I thought this was about Anduin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I am so triggered right now.

Deleted
    Ulduar
    ICC
    ToT

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    Putting BT and Hyjal on the same step is interesting. I wouldn't rank them on the same step, personally.
    IMHO, ICC should go up to "solid" and Hyjal back to "Mediocre". Just my opinion.
    Hyjal is arguably the worst raid ever

I'd rank it about even with ICC - not the best, but very good none the less.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    Hyjal is arguably the worst raid ever
    I certainly wouldn't rank it as worst - Archimonde was a pretty cool fight overall, and the other bosses themselves were not quite bad either. But the waves of trash... oh Lord.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the ToT and think that the variation in bosses and mechanics is neat. However, and this is based on a computer playing low settings, as my GPU is broken right now, the graphics and overall setting just don't blow me away the way Ulduar did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    There's nothing for casuals to do, beyond pretend they are raiders in LFR.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Never played ulduar as current content so I can't vote? Anyway I think ToT is phenomenal. Granted, I have only seen 9 bosses myself, but bosses like council, tortos, ji-kun, durumu, primordius and dark animus are just so awesome. For me, ToT is the best raid ever.
    i didn't like ulduar that much, only been raiding since bc...though i did get "carried" by a friends guild in molten core...i had no gear...and...the pain...omfg no resists... /cry...decided no raiding till i had epic mount repairs were...draining.

anyway guild has killed durumu reg, only raid 3x a week, so can't say for the rest of it but i liked ji'kun and jinrokh for tanking...turtle and horridon were boring(tankign with a prot pala on horridon and me aoe'ing adds on a brm)
    most tanking fights are just boring taunt when x happens, sigh...aoe fests and standing there doing nothing like tortos(except moving out ofcircles... and out of miniturtles path...) just boring, i loved council, for the same reason i loved ToC, which most people didn't like

i loved ToC for not having any trash, screw me but trash gets old after a while like pulling back on bridge trash in ToT...yawnfest mostly
    trash going to council is an aoe fest, with a couple interrupts thrown in, boring...

aside from bashing on trash and bashing on the main reason people didn't like ToC, ulduar just didn't do it for me, i LOVED black temple, omfg loved it.
    ToT rates... Hyjal > BT > SSC = sunwell only got 3 bosses in sunwell as current content > ToC > Ulduar > karamight be because it was my first real raid and spooky as hell...omg but getting beast boss out freaked me out..early in the tier... > rest of BC > rest of cata > rest of wrath(yes ICC though it was well i should put it above rest of bc...gruuls and mag weren't as good as icc, it is just that icc lasted SO SO SO long...

now, where does ToT fit into this for me? granted haven't finished it, but for easiness of the bosses it rates under sunwell and even bt / ssc.
    every single boss is just a dance so far, freaking loved Gorefiend turning me into a ghost, having to run to the back of the room, and kill my ghosts before they hit raid, or the mana drains in hyjal making it a huge mana management fight, or getting knocked 40 yards into the air, running from the raid because you are turning into an infernal, and getting soulstoned when you are on your way over to the infernal tank...

sunwell is ranked up there for the pure difficulty, not just the fun fight mechanics that add a lot of depth to the fight.
    atm fights are, move here or die.
    simple dances you just need everyone in the raid to do, no depth.
    even with all that ToT does LOOK nice, like ulduar, but i rank it so far under ulduar and Hyjal / BT it isn't even funny.
    because the fights, are just adding moves to a dance, its no longer
    do one dance and win, while playing with interesting side mechanics(getting knocked up / turning into infernals - ghosts / etc)
    it is a dance, then you have to jiggle your foot in middle of the dance, and then go back to initial dance, jiggle other foot for other mechanic...
    still a dance just instead of a simple three step its turned into ballet,
    but no interesting mechanics anymore,

clockwork on durumu has been around since cthun, nothing new floor filling with bad stuff since heigan, things you stand in to spread damage brutalus(and take to much it increases damage to much) voidzones...to many fights to mention...knockbacks....same thing

honestly knockbacks are the only original thing in that fight because of how it was done, a "cone" initiating from where a tank is standing... knockbacks are still..
    so many mechanics very little of it new,
    anyway...from a tanking standpoint ToT is poor quality, i could care less if it had the models and details as MC or kara, if it had more interesting fights...

mind you, i am not bashing, there are definitely worse raids than ToT but for all its been veneered prettily, it doesn't hold a tune to the best ones out there.

(i am still subbed, and it's a good enough raid to keep me raiding in reg mode, hopefully heroic after a while, it's just not as good as Blizzard, and some people are making it seem)
    maybe heroic will change my opinion, god i hope so, make it so it isn't simple tank swaps...

edit: btw i am using veneered as a simile ToT has a beautiful surface with piss poor actual quality. well take it how you want but i chose it because it fits in my mind, perfectly.
    Last edited by Christan; 2013-04-02 at 03:44 PM.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.