Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Really it comes down to knowing both their "irl" personality and their "txtng" personality to have a very high degree of certainty.
    time is money - money is power - power corrupts

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychus View Post
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Really it comes down to knowing both their "irl" personality and their "txtng" personality to have a very high degree of certainty.
    Yeah with people I hardly ever text I can't ever tell what they're feeling when they send it, but with people I've known for a while (1 year+ usually) I can.
    Call me House.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I prefer not to text anyway. I'm terrible at reading between whatever imaginary inflections people claim to be typing with. My significant other is constantly messaging me stuff where I don't understand he's being sarcastic at all. I tend to take most things at face value.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I can usually tell from my girlfriends texts when she is in a bad mood, as they usually start with something like, 'Baby why r u such a prick?'.
    Lol'd at that
    Ain't no chuch when you're living in the wild

I don't think there's any universal way to tell since everyone has their own texting style. I know one person who uses a long string of periods to appear hurt or disappointed, and another person who just uses a lot of periods because that's how she punctuates. I also know a person who uses smileys in a very back-handed "I am actually annoyed and being a condescending prick" sort of way, whereas most people use smileys for what they're fucking for.

In my case, I used to text with proper capitalization and punctuation, but people seemed to think I was angry all the time because I wasn't using emoticons or "lol"ing. So now I just text as lazily as possible so there's very little to read into.

Anyway, once you get familiar enough with a person's specific grammar (or whatever you'd call it), you can sort of tell when there's subtext to be seen just based on how normal or how weird they're being.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very easily, regardless of person, although that's likely due to experience. It almost perfectly balances out my issue with understanding other people's emotions IRL (partly brought upon by my inability to look someone in the face).