Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Wiping isn't a problem for me.

I always raided within the top 20 guilds in the world, so when we wiped, 99 times out of 100 it was because we were learning the mechanics, the other 1 time was because someone made a mistake.

If you're wiping because people are fucking up in a ridiculously easy game, then yes, it's not fun. But wanting people to do all the heavy lifting so you can go in and rub one out of the damage meters is a bit lame.

Deleted
    I think I'm in the same boat as you OP.

Back when I took raiding seriously I was a healer. I would get ranks, nobody would die (unless they royally fucked up), and I was pretty much "famous" on my server with people coming to me for advice. The biggest issue I had was, I would put in 110% every attempt, while some others didn't. We would wipe to enrage timers a lot because DPS were simply terrible. And it really does get to you after a while.

So now I play as a DPS mainly, I won't run anything that is current (although I have done ToT first 6 bosses on normal), and prefer to go into the past tier raids with players that have a working tactic and it will be pretty much a smooth run. If we do wipe, and it is due to some players not pulling their weight, then I get drained really fast and I begin to lose focus.

It's one of the reasons I changed to healing full time. I used to be a DPS and I used to have the same mentality, but it didn't do me any good and I just ended up becoming obsessed with ranks and getting gear and I became frustrated. Now RL has got busy and I really don't want to go back to that mentality (quit for a bit because of it), I decided to go healing full time and now I enjoy progressing because I'm not glued to recount anymore and I'm of the mentality that if people stayed alive and the job was done, I don't give a crap where I am on the meter.

I'm not saying switching or similar is the answer, I'm just saying that it's not a good attitude to have for raiding unless you're content with LFR. We had someone similar recently and their mentality drove them out of the guild and WoW altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelos View Post
    I was wondering if there's anyone else besides me who's thinking the same way I do.
    So you just want to be carried to victory by a group who put time into a boss to work out the mechanics?

Deleted
    i hope i NEVER EVER get you in my raid.

people like you are the reason why raiding has so much problems.

same as some already stated, I really don't mind neither about loot* nor rankings, but I love wiping, and wouldn't mind wiping on a boss even without any chance of killing it.

The thing I enjoy most in wiping is the fact that the boss resets, and that you can try again and do better. I love being perfectionist, and each and every pull I make I know I could do better, and each try I try to do better than the last one. Even after 350+ wipe on H:Ragnaros I didn't felt bored, and loved trying to totally perfect the p1->p3 part (that I felt I would be able to do "okayish enough" while sleeping), both with respect of my rotation and position. I sometime also consider "potential mistake" as mistakes (for example, if the boss throw aoe on some random player, If I'm too close to another player at the time the aoe tick I'd consider it a mistake even if I wasn't actually hit because I was lucky)

About ranking, I'm always taking the role of the dps that does all the dirty jobs and has no chance at all to rank no matter what just because of this (well actually we are 2 dps in our 10man guild with this mentality), and as I'm raid leader, and I know other dps love to pad meters, usually strat for dps goes "dps whatever you want that optimize your dps as long as you don't take too much unnecessary damage, and I'll make sure all 'dps timers' will still be respected" (ie I'll be the one switching on that annoying add that pop at the other side of the room, or I'll save my damage cooldown during the bl and use it at a totally "suboptimal" moment so that we are able to hit that dps timer later on...).

Right now I'm in a "reasonably good hc guild" (did 15/16hm on t14, currently 2/13hc), but I raided all of woltk with "bad" guilds (finally managed to kill 10-man normal lk with the 30% buff...), and I actually found wiping on "easy" boss due to most other player playing bad as fun (not more, not less) as wiping on really hard boss with most player playing as good or better than me. As long as I can find ways to improve myself I won't get bored, and I usually get pretty sad when we kill a boss "too fast", and I feel like I could have done a lot better with more practice. The way you try to compete against other player on some arbitrary metrics (dps or hps), I try to compete against myself according to the metrics I impose on myself (which are totally abstract and subjective). I don't mind if someone did more dps or even "played better" than me, what I do care about is if and how I can improve and be even more useful at killing the boss.

* : I do care about loot if it prevent me from raiding (ie if I'm not taken in raid because of my gear then I mind about it), and sometime I might occasionally want a specific piece of loot, but then most of the time it's for lore or "skin" considerations.
    Last edited by Bethan; 2013-03-31 at 03:16 AM.

I think is because of ppl like you that the game became so desapointing over the years...

Rankings I kind of get (though progression is part of that...) but why would you only care about items? It's just arbitrary numbers that determine your performance.

I'm slowly starting to become this way and it's sad. In WOTLK and Cata I would bang my head against a wall for 200 wipes if I had to (lich king, nefarian, spine, etc) but now I would rather just clear content on normal, and come back next week with more gear. Constantly wiping to the same things, or not making DPS checks is just not fun anymore.

I always find that as long as the atmosphere is good, it doesn't matter how much I wipe.

Also, I don't think I'd enjoy it without the achievement aspect of it. Spending a few hours working for something and finally getting it is far better than mindlessly pressing buttons in any random order and collecting loot afterwards.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I for one enjoy wiping. Shows me how I can improve my to play make sure it doesn't happen again. Wiping helps you learn mechanics better also. "ok we wiped to x make sure we deal with x so it doesn't happen again" The brief euphoria you get from killing a boss you've been wiping (working on) for a while feels so great. And you did it with people you like to raid with. Awesome feeling really.

so you are a self entitled brat who doesn't want to work for anything but still wants all the rewards. I bet you get mad when someone else gets loot over you too. And let me guess your probably 18 - 20 yrs old. Yeah you are the reason why LFR exists....

10+ Year Old Account
    "I want to have the fun without doing any work."

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm the opposite. I would much rather sit out on farm raids than I would progression. Nothing feels better to me in WoW than putting in my time and effort then finally seeing a boss go down. 1 wipe, 20 wipes or 100, knowing that I put effort into a first kill for us is quite rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

You should form a guild with some of my guildies, but then again you guys would never get anything done ever. I intentionally don't invite people like you to raids, and I make sure to tell you exactly why. If you don't want to put forth any effort then I am happy to oblige.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm the opposite aswell, I started raiding late in TOT, and I joined a guild who had already cleared it on normal. For some of the fights, I literally had no idea what was going on. I DPSed X mob, and eventually it died - but I'll be none the wiser going into next weeks kill. Most of the bosses in TOT (atleast on normal) are pretty faceroll. However we go to lei shen and though alot of silly mistakes (others not my own) we wiped for about 2 hours.

During these 2 hours I had a blast. I picked up the mechanics, I learnt what had to be done, and when. With that knowledge I figured out how to min/max my own damage, and with each attempt I improved. This to me felt great, I'm now confident when we go back to this boss next week, I can perform my roll with precision, and accuracy, and I'll be able to get the most out of my class, however some of the previous bosses, that I was 'carried' through, I doubt next week I'll do any better than this week.

I look forward to seeing the rest of the bosses on HC, because only after wiping to each one for hours do you REALLY know how to combat then, and only then do you get the most out of killing them. You don't get nerd screams when you 2 shot a boss. You get them when you overcome a boss who has wiped you 200 times. It's those screams that I live for.
    Vexxd

LFG to push 15+ m+,
    maybe streaming @ http://www.twitch.tv/vexxee