Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Recommend me a GPU and PSU

Hey guys, lately I've been ordering some parts for my PC that is going to be fixed soon.
    I ordered i-5 3570k ivy and a ASRock Z75 Pro 3 mobo with a hyper 212 evo.
    I am now on the next step on a 220$ budget. Can't spend any more than that.
    If its possible can you recommend me a video card and power supply that will fit into my budget. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    I mainly want to play WOW on ultra, with shadows off with decent fps.
    I might also look into playing planet side 2 with my older brother.
    Thanks all, looking forward to answers.

Deleted
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Enermax 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($50.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $250.97
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-28 16:40 EDT-0400)

10+ Year Old Account
    That goes slightly over budget. My current PSU is 430 watts but it is also the stock PSU that came with my PC.
    Any way we can go lower on the GPU and get a better PSU?

Deleted
    Fair enough, yeah it was $230 after MIR.

The Enermax PSU is fine.

I'd highly recommend getting a 2GB GPU. I'd recommend getting a GTX 650ti boost but I can't find any in stock yet so I guess the next best thing would be this:

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 650 Ti OC 2GB $150

Taht should fit well with your budget.

10+ Year Old Account
    Graphics card looks good. Will it still run wow on ultra as mentioned in my OP?

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo5566 View Post
    What size and res is your monitor if you have a 22-24 inch monitor at 1080p your not going to be able to max out wow but the game will still look good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its a TV screen actually. 24 inch led TV, 1080p 60hz (if that means anything).
    Has VGA/PC input and PC/DVI audio input also has 2 HDMI ports. I'm almost sure this screen will work with my PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Fair enough, yeah it was $230 after MIR.

The Enermax PSU is fine.

I'd highly recommend getting a 2GB GPU. I'd recommend getting a GTX 650ti boost but I can't find any in stock yet so I guess the next best thing would be this:

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 650 Ti OC 2GB $150

Taht should fit well with your budget.
    My girlfriend uses the Geforce 650ti. She loves it.
    I think it is really good for the amount you pay for it also.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its a TV screen actually. 24 inch led TV, 1080p 60hz (if that means anything).
    Has VGA/PC input and PC/DVI audio input also has 2 HDMI ports. I'm almost sure this screen will work with my PC.
    550ti will be okay and run decent but don't except to run 60fps at ultra even with shadows turned off. You will probably should try and save a bit more for a 660ti or even a 660.

Deleted
    Well the thing is you can't go higher (budget wise) for the first GPU I mentioned so either way this is the best you can get with your budget. If you can, then wait for the GTX 650ti Boost to come in stock.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the thing is you can't go higher (budget wise) for the first GPU I mentioned so either way this is the best you can get with your budget. If you can, then wait for the GTX 650ti Boost to come in stock.
    I will be mowing grass this weekend...its going to give me some extra cash. If I go with your first recommendation, the PSU and 7850, will that then run it on ultra?

Also one last question, is going up only 20 watts any good? I mean I currently have a 430 watt but as I said it is getting old and I will probably need a new one anyways. Should I go ahead and get the 450 watt? Is it a good brand with decent ratings? I sort of care about how people rate stuff. It gives me good precautions and such.

---------- Post added 2013-03-28 at 07:26 PM ----------

Also should I go with the XFX model or the sapphire model? XFX has a 4 star and sapphire has a 5 star. Is that even a big deal or should I stick with the slightly cheaper one.?

Deleted
    Yes the 7850 will run the game at ultra, 25 man raids you'll have to lower shadows/AA but it will definitely be fine.

You could pick this up instead:

Silverstone Strider Essential 500W
    XFX Pro 550W

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a XFX 7850 2gig and I run at 60 fps on a 1080p monitor the only thing I turn down is shadows and liquid detail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I do plan on turning shadows on lowest quality. They arent a big deal to me. May turn liquid detail down but not sure yet.

---------- Post added 2013-03-28 at 09:01 PM ----------

I am going to get the graphics card for a fact. Now I was looking at some PSU parts on newegg. I came across a raidmax one and I do like the led lights on it but besides that, it looks like it will get the job done from my point of view. However I would much rather have opinions from here.
    Here's the PSU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817152028

You should get a PSU high above what you need atm.
    That way you can reuse it for the next several years when you upgrade.

Deleted
    Yeah I do plan on turning shadows on lowest quality. They arent a big deal to me. May turn liquid detail down but not sure yet.

---------- Post added 2013-03-28 at 09:01 PM ----------

I am going to get the graphics card for a fact. Now I was looking at some PSU parts on newegg. I came across a raidmax one and I do like the led lights on it but besides that, it looks like it will get the job done from my point of view. However I would much rather have opinions from here.
    Here's the PSU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817152028
    Stay away from any Raidmax PSU, they're generally just bad and worst case you'll fry it and other components.

Either of the ones I linked you will do you just fine, especially the XFX unit which is Seasonic OEM (pretty much the best PSU manufacturer out there).

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay I'll go with the graphics card and xfx PSU then.

---------- Post added 2013-03-28 at 11:05 PM ----------

Now with the 7850 2gb and 550 watt PSU. I will be able to run ultra right? Just want to clarify things.

Now with the 7850 2gb and 550 watt PSU. I will be able to run ultra right? Just want to clarify things.
    You need to be slightly more powerful than a 7850 to run full Ultra. I recommend grabbing the Gigabyte 660 $184 after $20 MIR and the CX 430 $36 after $10 MIR.

Couple of things to note:

1) CX 430 frequently goes on sale for $20 after MIR.

2) You have next to no upgrade potential (up tiers) with a CX 430 but you can probably swap the 660 for a 760/860 in the future.

3) This is the best bang for buck you can get with ~$220 by sacrificing upgradability.

4) Dual fan Gigabyte is better than single fan XFX listed earlier.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Enermax 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($50.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $250.97
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-28 16:40 EDT-0400)
    Great, you're just recommending a multirail 450W PSU which is a waste complety.

@Op A corsair/antec 430W would do its job perfect and I'd rather take a gtx 660 over a 7870 just because the 660 is much faster in frame latencies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Great, you're just recommending a multirail 450W PSU which is a waste complety.

@Op A corsair/antec 430W would do its job perfect and I'd rather take a gtx 660 over a 7870 just because the 660 is much faster in frame latencies.
    Now fps wise, what will the 660/7850 do on ultra in WoW with shadows on the lowest setting. Also I can do around 250-270$ now.

---------- Post added 2013-03-29 at 12:27 AM ----------

Okay I would like my above question answered please but that's not why I'm updating after like 2 minutes. Just updating on what I'm going to be getting.
    GPU wise either:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3938566&SID=

Or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125443

Now I am going to surely get the PSU Notarget mentioned earlier the xfx 550

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RJ8EKI/?tag=pcpapi-20

Hopefully my questions will be answered when I wake up in the morning
    I appreciate all the help already, just ready to hit that order button! If possible I would love to buy both over the same website but if its too much over, I'll just buy them from different websites.