Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Megaera - Frozen Orb pathing

So while in LFR on Megaera, I had alot of problems getting my frozen orb to path towards the hydra heads. It seemed to always sort of reverse course towards the raid rather than go near the cliff edge.

Ran down a few times near the common tank spot and that seemed to work, but obviously a mistimed run gets me hit in the face with a breath

Any tips?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are facing a head, I always shift about 15 deg towards the center of the rock formations and hit the orb. 90% of the time it tracks correctly.
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger

10+ Year Old Account
    this happend to me to on normal mode, not sure what's causing it but it's fucked up :')

I just tried the trick by just moving a bit from the boss, and it works like a charm
    Last edited by nimryas; 2013-03-28 at 10:15 PM.

Nimryas - EU-Kazzak ~ My youtube channel

10+ Year Old Account
    My normal 25 man was expierencing this as well. Only thing I could figure out, when I was frost, was to move yourself in about 10 yards from the boss and pop Frozen Orb and then move back out. We have ranged stand back about 25 yards away from the boss. Its a dps loss moving to pop it, but its a bigger dps loss watching it fly behind you. Or you could pop Frozen Orb each time you stacked during rampage. We were killing each head in about 55 to 65 seconds so it lined up pretty well.

Deleted
    I have found that even when rewarding, the orb still do some damage (not all).

I just used Frozen Orb as the tanks are running in before I get into combat. 99% of the time it works. To avoid it bugging out when it comes off CD I just use it during rampage as it almost lines up with my groups DPS minus delaying using it for a few seconds.

10+ Year Old Account
    I figured out, along with Dasgewt our resident frost mage, that popping the orb on the rocks between the heads not only makes sure it goes correctly but will always at least cleave one of the heads. If you aim properly it will be the correct one. He hasn't had a problem with the bounceback ever since he used this method.

10+ Year Old Account
    You just have to move in and put it between two heads. It will hit both of them and you'll get more procs. Because the hitboxes of the heads are so large you don't actually have to get that close.

In lfr moving in really isn't a problem but if its causing problems on normal I suggest just waiting for rampage to use it.
    MB: Asus Maximus V Extreme CPU: 3770k@4.5Ghz custom water loop GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 RAM: Corsair 4x4GB 1600Mhz 7-8-8-24
    SSD: Samsung 830 256GB PSU: Corsair AX850 CASE: Corsair 800D
    Armory

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully I'll find the sweet spot tonight after tortos.

Deleted
    Btw the reason for the knock back is simple, the water around magaera heads will knock any one or thing back that attempts to jump into the water.

Quote Originally Posted by jtmzac View Post
    You just have to move in and put it between two heads. It will hit both of them and you'll get more procs. Because the hitboxes of the heads are so large you don't actually have to get that close.

In lfr moving in really isn't a problem but if its causing problems on normal I suggest just waiting for rampage to use it.
    This ^^

I'm actually having more trouble using Frozen Orb on Durumu. It just doesn't seem like it wants to move across that floor at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Malfecto View Post
    I'm actually having more trouble using Frozen Orb on Durumu. It just doesn't seem like it wants to move across that floor at all.
    Durumu's hit box is extremely large because of the encounter itself with the maze. So if it seems to just stay on the outside ring don't worry about it because it is hitting the boss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Levoriana View Post
    Durumu's hit box is extremely large because of the encounter itself with the maze. So if it seems to just stay on the outside ring don't worry about it because it is hitting the boss.
    Exactly this. The problem I had on Durumu was watching my water ele run accross the floor and despawning. I believe I got it on my live streams back when I was frost. I'll see if i can find a clip of it. Sad, but funny. My ele gave me the impression of "F this, I'm outta here!".

Quote Originally Posted by jtmzac View Post

I'll also point out that using it during a Rampage can make this a hell of a lot easier since you should be super close to both heads anyways.

(And yes, if you're not aiming for BOTH heads, with the small exception when you kill a blue [only in Normal], you're doing it wrong)
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did some research and theorycrafting last night, you know, serious stuff, and I found truth. Here is what I found:

I cant post images, so can't post what I found after all
    Last edited by Daniwa; 2013-03-30 at 10:19 PM.
    Why have a signature? What I just posted states how retarded I am anyways.

Had this happen to me about 1/4 of the time on this boss, was pretty annoying lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Update: I managed to link a picture, progress! Here's how my frozen orb works on magera:

Why have a signature? What I just posted states how retarded I am anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwolf View Post
    So while in LFR on Megaera, I had alot of problems getting my frozen orb to path towards the hydra heads. It seemed to always sort of reverse course towards the raid rather than go near the cliff edge.

Ran down a few times near the common tank spot and that seemed to work, but obviously a mistimed run gets me hit in the face with a breath

Any tips?
    Since it's LFR. Just do this: Kill Green, then Red, then Green, then Red, rinse/repeat. Totally ignore Frost.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniwa View Post
    Update: I managed to link a picture, progress! Here's how my frozen orb works on magera:

did you have a tips so my orb can make a loop like yours ^o^

great job.

Well, got a kill in normal mode and the advice to pop my orb angling slightly inward of the head seemed to work perfectly for me tonight. Not sure why my orb seemed to hit reverse in LFR, but my worries seemed to be for naught Thanks for all the replies.