Thread: Barb question

15+ Year Old Account

Barb question

Hey folks, new to the game. Been playing Torchlight 2 and basically need another ARPG so D3 is next. I'm looking at playing a Barbarian and was curious if DW, S/B or 2h is the way to go?

Thanks.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

Deleted
    DW and 2h are king atm as far as end game goes. Levelling wise just pick whatever you prefer to play it doesnt make a great deal of difference.

Leveling, basically whatever you can find that is good use it. As far as end game 2H is where it is at.

If you plan to play to the endgame (farming MP6+ Inferno), then DW is usually the popular option. You will get more crit dmg stats using 1h with crit dmg and a socket in each.

Granted Iv'e seen Skorn users farm MP10 with no problems, the farming routes are going to be faster with DW.

15+ Year Old Account
    Awesome, thanks for all the reply's. Reason I ask is because I have a little RP'ing side to me and I like to stick to one style of play while I build my toon RP wise if you catch my drift.

Also, how do monks fair between dw and 2h? I only ask because I don't want 2 toons dw'ing or 2h'ing. I'd like to run one of each if it makes sense.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

For monk it depends on what you are doing. For farming lower mp for fast xp and legendary hunting, I DW and do tempest rush build with a skorn. When I do ubers on mp8 or go for some mp10 trash kills, I go DW. I'm still on the fence between barb and monk, I have a paragon 46 barb and paragon 45 monk and I like them both a lot. For farming lower mp the monk is way better, for higher mp the barb is easier. Overall I feel like my monk is more versatile, last night in mp8 I pulled off some amazing stuff when the other 2 people died. I'm not sure I would have been able to do that with my barb. It's also cool to run with other monks and everyone uses a different mantra.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    As far as end game 2H is where it is at.
    The only good 2H weapon is Skorn, the rest is crap.
    And even then I don't think a Skorn is as good as DW because you attack slower, making the benefit from life on hit less valuable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by select20 View Post
    Awesome, thanks for all the reply's. Reason I ask is because I have a little RP'ing side to me and I like to stick to one style of play while I build my toon RP wise if you catch my drift.

Also, how do monks fair between dw and 2h? I only ask because I don't want 2 toons dw'ing or 2h'ing. I'd like to run one of each if it makes sense.
    Monk is always dual-wield unless you're using a Tempest Rush build. Then you want your attacks as slow as humanly possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    The only good 2H weapon is Skorn, the rest is crap.
    And even then I don't think a Skorn is as good as DW because you attack slower, making the benefit from life on hit less valuable.
    Hitting extremely hard with a decent amount of life steal makes up for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

Life on hit is ok when you have low damage. Once you get to like 100k or so Life steal takes over. Certain spells do not even proc life on hit, and the beauty of life steal is that when you crit, you heal for even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Monk is always dual-wield unless you're using a Tempest Rush build. Then you want your attacks as slow as humanly possible.
    Always? No. Sword & Board! http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/A.../hero/30854234

also, there are plenty of high ias Skorn users, as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Popesickle View Post
    Life on hit is ok when you have low damage. Once you get to like 100k or so Life steal takes over. Certain spells do not even proc life on hit, and the beauty of life steal is that when you crit, you heal for even more.
    Yeah, maybe I should've worded it differently. But you can have life steal on both of your 1hand weapons just like you have life steal on your Skorn. I just don't see what advantage Skorn brings. Since you attack slower, you get procs less often.

I've tried running with Skorn, my DPS was a bit higher but I lost a lot of procs (both life on hit and life steal) which ruined my effective health pool. It's the low attack speed that does it.