Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    rough translation: Blizzard was so blinded by the dollar signs they'd pasted around the office after the meeting about the RMAH, that they couldn't see the blindingly obvious no matter how many people tried to point it out to them.
    We have felled demon commanders, cowed the master of death, conquered Old Gods, and stopped the Aspect of Death from destroying the very planet. Now, we need to kill this dude who managed to enslave pudding eating panda's, slobbering sauroks, and hilariously inept hozen. Awesome. Really epic.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by winterfox72 View Post
    What really hurt Diablo 3 was that it was a horrible game. It would have been great 10 years ago. But giving it free to wow players would be like giving Bill Gates a dollar. It aint gonna be appreciated.
    Would you care to expand on this? Calling it a bad game but not backing that up by any facts at all is really silly and gives you no credibility.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I don't believe this 3 million active players claim.

After nerf, it is really a 20 hour game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post

Guess you dont know what diablo series of games is all about then ?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

lol...

You don't understand ARPGs, I see.

The Diablo franchise is more about the item hunt than simply playing it for the story.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

even though this isn't really the point, after you kill diablo the first time the game is basically over. it is criminally short on content, and the content that is there is just recycled over and over.

there are so many problems with the abomination that is diablo 3. focusing just on how horribly they handled ah really exemplifies the shortsightedness which birthed diablo 3.
    Last edited by jakeic; 2013-03-29 at 04:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeic View Post
    even though this isn't really the point, after you kill diablo the first time the game is basically over. it is criminally short on content, and the content that is there is just recycled over and over.
    You just described every ARPG ever, including the "holy grail, can't have nothing bad said about it" game of Diablo 2.

I can see why they added the RMAH, basically to take the RMT out of the gold farmers hands and into the player base. Im sure most people have no idea just how bad RMT sites had gotten in the early part of the decade. The biggest problem for D3, imo, is that they let the bot programs and completely unbalanced classes(demon hunter/wizard) just go way to long without a fix which ruined any idea of having a good RMAH and GAH. The game itself is fine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeic View Post
    that's exactly how DII worked as well.

I think that the AH is not a bad addition per se, but needed to be much more strict on what could be placed on it, reserved maybe to only the most rare and extermely powerful items.
    Blizzard went too generous with the use of the AH and one of the shortsights was that they did not understand that the era where players could set up their own challenges ended long ago. If there's a shortcut it will be taken. Always, no matter how much optional.

Players as for today need the challenge to be cautiously guided, and having a very few different options on how to reach the objective as if the "efficient" option is not taken (even if the non-efficient is more fun, but that's highly subjective) then the player feels like a dumbass.

---------- Post added 2013-03-29 at 12:57 PM ----------

addition: I think that is also wrong to put the blame *entirely* on the AH, it is a number of factors, one of which and probably the bigger one is the item drop pace. If upgrades would drop much more consistently one could say "well screw the AH I'm gonna drop this myself" much much more easily or at least delay its use.
    Last edited by mmoc89084f456c; 2013-03-29 at 01:01 PM.

Spent 120 euros got some nice gear, never played the game since for 3 months, so yea the RMAH makes playing the game pointless for me now.

Deleted
    The inclusion of the GAH was a great idea, However it was ruined by the Botters, Flippers, and gold buyers (prior to the RMAH), and the terrible itemization of the drops (mainly this), and the hyperinflation within the games economy.
    Seeing items which I need to upgrade going for 50-60m a time, yet finding items which do not sell leaves me with 3 options.
    1 - Buy gold from RMAH and get ripped off on the exchange rate, Last time I checked it was approx 40m for £10
    2 - Buy gold from a 3rd party website and risk my account of getting banned, but have a much better exchange rate of 150m for £10
    3 - Spend months farming gold by hand.

None of the above really appeal to me for various reasons.

Everybody said, from the get-go, it was a horrible idea.
    No shit, you fat fuck.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Story in Joystiq.

EDIT: gold AH too, he says.
    Very glad to hear him admit that.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Jee good thing you realized it Jay Wilson before the game is you know in disarray.

Day late and a dollar short just doesn't quite sum up how far behind the times Jay "FTL" Wilson is.

They could fix this though, by implementing ladders.

Put the current Softcore ladder into "Legacy" along with all the items and auctions of course. Create a new ladder where there is no AH.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

There's no doubt the AH was a terrible idea and the game suffered tremendously for it.

However there are a TON of other reasons the game fell so flat.

The horrible itemization, the lackluster legendaries, the ridiculously awful story line, the art style, the non-random'ness of hte areas, the fact the game is so quest centric and railroaded, the lack of character customization, the level cap, no ladders or leagues, etc.

So ya there were a ton of screw ups and the AH is just the most visibile example.

The Jay Wilson apology tour is rather amusing, the cliff notes are simple

"We accidentally'ed Diablo 3"

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    People traded items in D2 - there were even websites dedicated to item trade. What's different?
    The main difference to D2 website trading and AH is simply the information.

Most of the people HAD NO CLUE in D2 about real-money selling sites, especially back in 1.09-1.10, it happened but most people DID NOT KNOW.

When you go and tell people straight out "Oh hi, we add a system to do stuff only a minority did in D2 that you never knew about" of course people will try and use it.

I saw the corruption of the RMAH live in my friends..It went exactly like this: For a month they were all happy trading items with each other, suddenly the AH launches, they realize what it is about and how it works because simply they havent done it before or heard about how it was done in D2 after the first 2 days when someone sold a complete crap item for 10 bucks, they all rushed to get pre-paid credit cards and paypal accounts to make money, taking the items back from "friends" etc.

He should shut his mouth, about projects he aint got anything to do with.

So bad style off him discussing this now.

And ofcourse it hurted the game. It atleast made people progress to easly, and never find there own items. Oh and much less social stuff.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Took him long enough