Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    On the other hand if you look at the itemization ... it's so unbelievably boring. Main stat, vit, attack speed, crit chance, crit damage, resists, armor, regen, mov speed, thorns ... how hard was it to come up with such an intricate gear system I am not sure. Anyone who played LoL or other MOBAs can "design" this gear system under a minute.

Thing is in MOBAs there is other stuff going on, so simplified gear system makes sense ... in D3 gear is basically it. Why the hell is it simplified. AH that takes excitement out of getting the gear is just another layer of fail on top of the itemization.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by traen View Post
    Good games must be hard. D3 was hard at start and it was good.
    And before they started nerfing they had already shot themselves in the foot.

A wonderfully difficult game at launch with itemization issues (loot then was far too weighted toward shit items instead of the right balance between shit/decent/good/great) + an accessible AH + a real money market.

Obviously they've improved the balance of drop quality since then so you get less shit and more decent (with GG still being rare, as it should be), but the two systems were never going to support each other properly (especially not the RMAH). The addition of the AH was always going to undermine the loot hunting aspect of the game...which is terrible for a game that is based around hunting for loot.

Even if they had never nerfed Inferno, the game was fucked from day one.

Rubbish. How did you managed to level up to 59 if you did not find anything useful? You would've died around 30-th tops.
    Apparently we're both talking bullshit. It's called wearing things down. Yes, we had to grind mobs, in the most literal sense.

You talked to me. And I never said that. Good items drop for me all the time.
    Your emperical evidence against 8.000.000 others.

Good games must be hard. D3 was hard at start and it was good.
    Not any more though. Monster damage was nerfed by 100-200%, monster HP was nerfed by 200-300%. Elite packs were nerfed to the ground - bad suffixes were removed, annoying suffix combinations were removed, elite packs don't reset their HP when you run away from them, elite packs don't enrage any more when you fight them too long.

If they managed to beat the game almost naked after just few days of farming and you can't do this after all these nerfs, with 20-50x increased item drop AND with the implementation of absolutely insane crafted items, there is something wrong with you, not with the game.
    I agree with you on the nerfs. I don't play games for the walkthrough, I play games for the challenge and so far the only way to get a challenge, currently, is spiking up the MP, which allows people to take the easy way out.

But I also agree with the sentiment that the early release one-shot groups should have been toned down by limiting or segmenting the groups of modifiers they could have. So far I also have not experienced any form of "20-50x drop rate".

My experience versus your experience. Assuming you're still talking about the leveling phase. I have no doubt that your godly self with hundreds of MF actually finds good items on regular bsis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    My only response to this is look at one of the posters above you. "AH is too convenient". All I personally have to add is, the AH is too convenient ^100.

There's a point where market convenience starts outcompeting solo farming. When (and I still can't fathom how some of you apparently find one after the other awesome rare, according to those accounts up above) I'm currently on my third character, which is now level 39 or 40 and I have a barb that's lvl 52 or 3 or 4 and my previous, but dead, Witch Doctor, which was lvl 59 pre-nerf (screw you lag) and mostly 3-man-sustained (with 3 people playing mind you), that haven't been able to find anything useful for a sum of about 150 levels (I forgot my Wizard, lvl 48).

So there comes the term unlucky again. But we all know, even the fiercest fanboi of Diablo III knows this, that it's the main argument against the game in its current form. Everyone I talk to, that's not wearing blinds, quickly got tired of never getting anything useful from drops.

Noone is saying that everything should just automatically drop.

Granted, some might have finished it, but I could go out and collect all those forum posts back then, about how they had to run back to town and reroll the host to get better mob packs. If the game would have one single instance of content, without variety, no one would have been able to get past an elite pack of mindflayers.
    Exactly this. Theirs a point where NOTHING has dropped for my guy in like 30-40 levels and I'm sitting on a pile of gold what do you think I would do with it? In fact it's designed to shovel you in that direction. Put it this way if the game wasn't designed like that and in fact I was meant to go 40+ levels without an upgrade then it was a shit design regardless of the AH.

- - - Updated - - -

Good games must be hard.
    This is simple not true. D2 was not hard at all. In fact I can list a wealth of games that are amazing and are not hard in the slightest.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2013-08-19 at 07:58 AM.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Any way to get some of this to Blizzard to hopefully implement some changes? I saw a poll idea in there >.> we should push that onto an official Blizzard site and beat it into their heads. I would love to vote a big I SUPPORT NO AUCTION HOUSE onto an official Blizzard poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    Exactly this. Theirs a point where NOTHING has dropped for my guy in like 30-40 levels
    This is an absurd. It's not even remotely possible. If you are THAT unlucky you can just buy items from town npc, pretty much any lvl40 item will be an upgrade over level 10 item. Millions of people played d3 at launch and they always found upgrades for themselves.

This is simple not true. D2 was not hard at all. In fact I can list a wealth of games that are amazing and are not hard in the slightest.
    There are two types of gamers - champions and farmers. Champions like to win, to overcome great difficulties. Farmers are afraid of any difficulties, they like to gather resources.
    Well, I am the champion, you are the farmer, obviously we like different things in games.
    For me the game was awesome at start but is pretty boring right now unless I increase it's difficulty artificially by playing self-funded character for example.
    For you the game was scary at start and is awful right now because farming in current economy just does not make any sense, and playing self-funded character means that the game would be too hard for you.

This is an absurd. It's not even remotely possible. If you are THAT unlucky you can just buy items from town npc, pretty much any lvl40 item will be an upgrade over level 10 item. Millions of people played d3 at launch and they always found upgrades for themselves.
    Oh yes, because a lower item level piece of crap can obviously be exchanged by a higher item level piece of crap. We're talking comparative quality here, not your version of "but it's an upgrade". I don't call being forced to upgrade with str and dex as a wizard an "upgrade". It doesn't do anything for my stats. So when I have an ilvl10 wizard hat with +10 int and 12vit and I find something at lvl 30 with about 100 more armor, I should actually WANT to wear it, but it only has +50STR +50DEX and gold radius on it, which reduces my DPS by 10INT. Do you see where we are heading with this, or are you so stuck in thinking in your own fantasy world.

This is reality. Not being able to replace an item for 30 levels because literally nothing better drops in comparative stats. Which is due to the shit itemization, which is due to the shit AH. Blizzard said so.

Oh yes, because a lower item level piece of crap can obviously be exchanged by a higher item level piece of crap. We're talking comparative quality here, not your version of "but it's an upgrade". I don't call being forced to upgrade with str and dex as a wizard an "upgrade". It doesn't do anything for my stats. So when I have an ilvl10 wizard hat with +10 int and 12vit and I find something at lvl 30 with about 100 more armor, I should actually WANT to wear it, but it only has +50STR +50DEX and gold radius on it, which reduces my DPS by 10INT. Do you see where we are heading with this, or are you so stuck in thinking in your own fantasy world.
    The difference between you and me that you talk about how hard and unfair the game is and I just play the game and win.

Yes, you find upgrades on your course. Don't tell me you never found even one direct upgrade over 30 levels.

If you play without using AH you have to be smarter than those facerollers who use it.
    Out of all sudden you realize that crafting is actually useful! You pick up blue items, you disenchant them and you craft yourself upgrades you lack.
    Then you realize that you have to pick up books and lowlevel gems because you need them to craft gear and gems. You don't have those shiny perfect star rubies to triple your dps.
    You find that NPCs around the town and the world are there for a reason. They DO sell upgrades!
    And when you play like this it's better to stop at some points and farm a little - kill bosses, clear some locations again.

No, you can't faceroll through the game picking up epics when you fancy. You have to work hard to progress.
    But yes, you can get upgrades and you can beat the game without using AH. Obviously you have to put some effort into it. But as return you play the balanced game the way it was supposed to be played.

The difference between you and me that you talk about how hard and unfair the game is and I just play the game and win.

Yes, you find upgrades on your course. Don't tell me you never found even one direct upgrade over 30 levels.
    Quit assuming that I'm whining or even talking about how hard the game is. Where do you get this shit. You're like my mother, always filling in the blanks with pure fantasy. I play all games to win. That doesn't prevent me from giving perfectly subjective critique and once enough subjective critique has been given by enough people, one might argue that the sum of those, form a significant part of the playerbase, thus resulting in the objective statement that there might be something amiss with the current loot system. Which Blizzard have confirmed.

I have literally, without lying, never found a direct upgrade between levels 20 to 59. NEVER. Edit: Except 2 uniques.

Buying loot from the vendor is the same as buying it from the AH. When I have to spend money to get upgrades and never, never find direct, same-stat, upgrades, it means that a game designed to be a loot-grinder, has become a money-grinder. The result is that I'm playing a different type of game.

This does not mean:
    > That I find the game hard and that I'm here whining about how hard it is, because it's not (anymore).
    > That I think DIII is a very bad game. I do not. I just think it could have been a much, much better game without the AH.

Stop assuming I'm bitching about being a loser, start looking at what I'm writing as constructive feedback.

This thread is about how the AH caused Blizzard to deal with itemization the wrong way. This thread is not about how the AH made me suck at life and if you still think that we're debating the fail in me as a player after all these times I've tried to make clear that it's not about that, all I can do is start calling you names. Which is not allowed.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2013-08-19 at 01:38 PM. Reason: changed 60 to 59 for accuracy.

I have literally, without lying, never found a direct upgrade between levels 20 to 59. NEVER.
    Well, sorry, but you ARE lying.
    Even if you was THAT unlucky with drop, it was close to impossible to level to lvl59 with lvl20 weapon. You dps would've been so low that it would take ages for you to kill even an act 3-4 nightmare monster and hell monsters would've been just impossible for you. And considering that your gear was supossedly even worse than that, ~lvl 15 in average, even nightmare act 3-4 monsters would've been pretty tough for you.

Buying loot from the vendor is the same as buying it from the AH. When I have to spend money to get upgrades and never, never find direct, same-stat, upgrades, it means that a game designed to be a loot-grinder, has become a money-grinder. The result is that I'm playing a different type of game.
    No. Buying loot from the vendor is not the same as buying it from AH.
    No, the ability to get gold from drops is not changing the game. You farm both gold AND items. Most of the items come from drops but you can get the upgrades you lack from crafting and vendors.
    And no, there is nothing bad with the gold grinding, it's an important part of the game.
    It's RPG, not a "strictly loot grinding and nothing else" game. Otherwise there would've been no gold in the game at all. Like it PoE. But even there reagents are used as ingame currency.

This thread is about how the AH caused Blizzard to deal with itemization the wrong way. This thread is not about how the AH made me suck at life and if you still think that we're debating the fail in me as a player after all these times I've tried to make clear that it's not about that, all I can do is start calling you names. Which is not allowed.
    Stop lying and stop whining then.

Launch the game, and start playing. The chance of not getting any upgrade for 40 levels is lower than the chance to win the us national lottery. Maybe you was that lucky, but it can't happen twice.
    When you hit level20 start broadcasting and show us how you can play for 40 levels without upgrades.

I must admit, the man has a point...

Even if you was THAT unlucky with drop, it was close to impossible to level to lvl59 with lvl20 weapon. You dps would've been so low that it would take ages for you to kill even an act 3-4 nightmare monster and hell monsters would've been just impossible for you. And considering that your gear was supossedly even worse than that, ~lvl 15 in average, even nightmare act 3-4 monsters would've been pretty tough for you.
    You are having a hard time understanding his point. ITs not that he hasn't found items to use, its that what he finds isn't necessarily itemized for his class. Say you have a 10 int 10 vit boots, and you find 50 str 20 int 10 vit boots. Thats shitty and while it is technically better its not a wizard item its more of a barb item. That wouldn't be a direct upgrade in my book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

Where, in this entire documented thread, have I even once, claimed that (except for my WD, which was a 3-man sustained character) I played without the AH? I played without the AH as long as I could. Which is whyyyyy agaaaaain, WHY I have such a big issue with loot distribution. I hate the fact that I, so far, have had to go to the AH for each and every single upgrade.

YES, BUYING SHIT FOR GOLD I FARM IS NOT THE SAME AS FINDING IT MYSELF. At least I can still be the judge of that. I'm no longer allowed to be the judge of whether I'm lying or not, that privilige seems to have crossed over to you, but I can damn fucking well be the judge of what gameplay I do and do not enjoy.

So find your brain and stick it it to it. Not everyone loves the AH game. Actually
    Code:
    MANY
    people HATE the AH game.

And you seriously, NEVER played DII.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2013-08-19 at 03:18 PM.

You are having a hard time understanding his point. ITs not that he hasn't found items to use, its that what he finds isn't necessarily itemized for his class. Say you have a 10 int 10 vit boots, and you find 50 str 20 int 10 vit boots. Thats shitty and while it is technically better its not a wizard item its more of a barb item. That wouldn't be a direct upgrade in my book.
    It does not really matter. Just imagine that "50 str 20 int 10 vit boots" is "50 armor 20 int 10 vit boots". Still a decent upgrade if you ask me.
    I do understant that maybe you don't like it, but it's the way most of the arpg were designed. It's not up to you and me to tell developers what to do. Besides that there is a good reasoning behind it - psychologically an item with useless stats is better than no item at all.
    As for players - even an useless item can be disenchanted to useful reagents.

You can't say "40 levels without an upgrade" when you DO upgrade your gear all the time, but just not with perfectly rolled items, but with items with some compromiss - 100 int on boots, 100 vit on chest makes 50+50 on boots and 50+50 on chest. Simple math.

If you expected to get a trifesta item with max main stat in every second item, then you probably need a single player game where item drop is scripted to give you items that you want.
    But in grinding games like diablo putting such items in loot would mean that you'll have nothing to do after few days of farming. And the game is supposed to last for a decade(just kidding... or not?)

Where, in this entire documented thread, have I even once, claimed that (except for my WD, which was a 3-man sustained character) I played without the AH? I played without the AH as long as I could.
    You did not state it indeed. But your whining does not make any sense then. If you are using AH, then you can't find upgrades in the game. It's a simple logics.
    It's like having a slightly older brother - you have to wear his old clothes. But in our case you have 2 million big brothers.
    Just imagine a situation. Player A finds level 20 item that drops in lvl20 location. He continues leveling and replaces it at some point. He lists this item on AH.
    You hit lvl20. You go to AH and buy this item. And THEN you go to lvl20 location and get a pleasant surprise that lvl20 location can't drop an lvl20 upgrade for you. Well, ofc it can't, because you already bought it on AH!!

Another good example is that you can buy flawless ruby for 400g on normal difficulty when you are lvl 15. When the best gem you can possible find is flawed one. And then be surprised that you can't find better gems that you bought from AH.

If you want to get your upgrades from drop you have to stop using AH. You can't have both, sorry.

As of "as long as I could" - you just did not tried hard enough. Leveling in the game was balanced around single player, you CAN beat it, believe me. Just put some effort into it.

YES, BUYING SHIT FOR GOLD I FARM IS NOT THE SAME AS FINDING IT MYSELF. At least I can still be the judge of that. I'm no longer allowed to be the judge of whether I'm lying or not, that privilige seems to have crossed over to you, but I can damn fucking well be the judge of what gameplay I do and do not enjoy.
    Relax, no one is telling you that your gameplay is wrong.
    But you ask for things that are well.. unusual for the type of the game you are playing. If you want to play the game the weird way you should not complain that the game is not designed for it.
    Blizzard spend some time creating vendors, generating their loot list. Blizzard spent some time creating crafting in the game. Blizzard spent some time balancing the game so craft and vendors were part of the leveling process. If you don't want to use one of them you are playing a sort of a "challenge mode" which will obviously be harder than the original game.

And you seriously, NEVER played DII.
    Nope, Your assumption is wrong. I still have an original diablo disk somewhere on the attic. And for some reason I have a feeling that I killed d2 diablo way before you. And even if not - I killed d1 diablo way before you.
    But I don't see your point here. d2 and d3 are different games, if you are comparing them you have to compare them as a whole, not just random aspects of the game.
    d2 is still available btw, you can still play it. Slightly worse graphics (maybe even not, depends if you like d3 graphics or not), but if gameplay was SO MUCH BETTER for you, why not to just play d2 instead?
    D4 will be even worse for you probably. New games are designed for new kids, not for dinosours like we are. So get ready for facebook integration, "100 players liked this character", microtransactions, paid visual effects, paid spells, paid leveling and whatever else you can imagine.
    The world is not the same it used to be, but the life is going on, you know.

Nope, Your assumption is wrong. I still have an original diablo disk somewhere on the attic. And for some reason I have a feeling that I killed d2 diablo way before you. And even if not - I killed d1 diablo way before you.
    But I don't see your point here. d2 and d3 are different games, if you are comparing them you have to compare them as a whole, not just random aspects of the game.
    d2 is still available btw, you can still play it. Slightly worse graphics (maybe even not, depends if you like d3 graphics or not), but if gameplay was SO MUCH BETTER for you, why not to just play d2 instead?
    D4 will be even worse for you probably. New games are designed for new kids, not for dinosours like we are. So get ready for facebook integration, "100 players liked this character", microtransactions, paid visual effects, paid spells, paid leveling and whatever else you can imagine.
    The world is not the same it used to be, but the life is going on, you know.
    It's RPG, not a "strictly loot grinding and nothing else" game. Otherwise there would've been no gold in the game at all. Like it PoE. But even there reagents are used as ingame currency.
    Nough said.

You misunderstand the principles of looting vs AH.
    - Loot an item.
    - Wait until it start's getting you close to death before you upgrade and hope you get an upgrade drop.
    - You do not get an upgrade drop.
    - You buy an item that lasts you a minimum of 10 levels before it loses its value.
    - You keep playing until it loses its value and you end up getting close to death a few times.
    - You still, dont, get, an, upgrade drop.
    - You sighingly decide to buy another upgrade.
    - You play until the upgrade loses its value.
    - You keep playing until you end up almost dying a few times, with an increased heartrate showing in your face.
    - You do not find an upgrade in any drops.
    - You realize you're never going to find an upgrade without the AH, at least until level 60.
    - You buy an upgrade from the AH.

There is no need for direct comparisons. I don't want perfect ilvl 20 drops from ilvl20 mobs when I just bought an ilvl20 item. But I do somewhat expect to find a suitable weapon at lvl 30, which doesn't happen, because a weapon that can compete with the auction house items, won't drop until lvl 40 and always with the wrong stats.

We're not talking about 50 armor 20 int instead of 10 and 10 vit instead of nil, We're talking about finding a Voodoo Mask with strictly STR & DEX.

But, I'll make you a deal. I'm going to roll a new character, and I won't buy any AH items. I will solo and I will document each and every rare I find and if applicable, good Magic items. Obviously Legendaries will be listed. I'll make a WD.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2013-08-19 at 04:47 PM.

Deleted
    There are two types of gamers - champions and farmers. Champions like to win, to overcome great difficulties. Farmers are afraid of any difficulties, they like to gather resources.
    Well, I am the champion, you are the farmer, obviously we like different things in games.
    For me the game was awesome at start but is pretty boring right now unless I increase it's difficulty artificially by playing self-funded character for example.
    For you the game was scary at start and is awful right now because farming in current economy just does not make any sense, and playing self-funded character means that the game would be too hard for you.
    This is the most stupid i have read in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by lunarath View Post
    Hah, I even read past it, must've been because my eyes don't read common folk language all that well. It's a tough position I'm in, ruling over Champions and farmers. Jezus, it's a virus.

Yeah in short, only losers post stuff like that :P I wish I could see his IRL :P

10+ Year Old Account

It is actually very possible, that's rng. As for buying from the vendor that's basically what i had to do. I mean it's the same thing as buying from the AH. The thrill of a boss drop is gone when you know the game is rigged and the boss isn't gonna drop shit for you anyway. I mean I found lots of junk for other classes and basically junk I couldn't use because out of sheer frustration I did buy from the vendor after about the 40th lvl with no drop. Nothing that dropped from a boss made me stronger though.

As for your 2 kinds of players diatribe you really ought to get a job in the industry. You've boiled down the desires and goals of millions of people into two neat archetypes. Not everybody is a farmer, not everybody is in it for challenge. You just have a narrow view of gaming.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lunarath View Post
    no no no dude it's brilliant. He's figured out what everybody in gaming is after. He's got a ticket to print money. Blizzard hire this guy.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah in short, only losers post stuff like that :P
    That's a big dave hester YUUUUUUUUUUP!!
    The hammer comes down:
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

edit:
    That's a big dave hester YUUUUUUUUUUP!!
    not familiar with him. I'm Dutch. Is he like a local *hero*?

Vespians Diary:

Oyxopolis the Witch Doctor:
    - 08/19/2013, 19:20 GMT+1 = Found Black Mushrooms.
    - 08/19/2013, 20:59 GMT+1 = Beat the Skeleton King [normal][HC]: Found 1 rare (default drop min 1 rare): image
    - 08/20/2013, 21:40 GMT+1 = Killed the Spider Queen [normal][HC]: Found 2 rares, one useful for this level (11), one useless for my class and for the class it belongs to. Except for DPS. image and image.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2013-08-20 at 07:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nough said.

You misunderstand the principles of looting vs AH.
    - Loot an item.
    - Wait until it start's getting you close to death before you upgrade and hope you get an upgrade drop.
    - You buy an item that lasts you a minimum of 10 levels before it loses its value.
    - You keep playing until it loses its value and you end up getting close to death a few times.
    - You still, dont, get, an, upgrade drop.
    - You sighingly decide to buy another upgrade.
    - You play until the upgrade loses its value.
    - You keep playing until you end up almost dying a few times, with an increased heartrate showing in your face.
    - You do not find an upgrade in any drops.
    - You realize you're never going to find an upgrade without the AH, at least until level 60.
    - You buy an upgrade from the AH.
    This was more or less my experience as well. ummm I mean I also took the developers at their word about millions of viable specs and blah blah blah and probably wasn't playing the "right" spec for a WD but without upgrades shit was starting to hurt. I eventually gave up on the WD and rolled a barb instead. Got lots of barb loot to drop on my WD.

- - - Updated - - -

edit:

not familiar with him. I'm Dutch. Is he like a local *hero*?

Vespians Diary:

Oyxopolis the Witch Doctor:
    - 08/19/2013, 19:20 GMT+1 = Found Black Mushrooms.
    It's from a tv show. Just know I'm in agreement with you. His neat categorization of all game players into two groups suggests that he probably doesn't spend that much time with people. Obviously their goals and desires even in something like a video game will fall outside the boundaries of "farmer" and "challenge" guy. I find it humourous and a tad bit insulting that he tried to fit me into one of those.
    The hammer comes down: