Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    5.3 PTR: Heroic Scenarios are HARD

    Just came off the PTR, turns out the difficulty might've been significantly ramped up. And when I say HARD, I mean, in contrast to the difference between normal mode dungeons and Cata-release style heroics, not heroic raid HARD. I'd say the ilevel requirement would be the same as in the Throne of Thunder LFR: 480. 496 seems a bit steep when all you really need to do is avoid mechanics and deal with buffed-up adds.



    Bonus objectives seem to mostly consist of vague timer runs, like, "Defeat BOSS X quickly" but with no mention of HOW quickly. This might just be a PTR placeholder, but if it isn't then you better hope the DBM team can data-mine timers or you'll be relying on randoms to pull off the appropriate DPS blindfolded. The "Avoid mechanics" objective reminds me of Will of the Emperor awarding bonus damage based on whether you can get out of things.


  2. #2
    They mentioned that there won't be a timer. You just have to go as fast as you can. And then at the end you find out if you beat the timer or not.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Discobiscuit View Post
    They mentioned that there won't be a timer. You just have to go as fast as you can. And then at the end you find out if you beat the timer or not.
    Sounds dodgy. Wouldn't it work better to keep these objectives seperate then, or individual? Seems like you can easily fail the objectives because Random Joe over here goes afk or doesn't pull his weight.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDDGuides View Post
    Sounds dodgy. Wouldn't it work better to keep these objectives seperate then, or individual? Seems like you can easily fail the objectives because Random Joe over here goes afk or doesn't pull his weight.
    Surely you can find 2 friends to do them with, who you can trust to not randomly go afk.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Discobiscuit View Post
    They mentioned that there won't be a timer. You just have to go as fast as you can. And then at the end you find out if you beat the timer or not.
    So there's a timer, but you just can't see it? Okay then.

  6. #6
    Moderator Fhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Carnished Toast
    Posts
    3,219
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDDGuides View Post
    Sounds dodgy. Wouldn't it work better to keep these objectives seperate then, or individual? Seems like you can easily fail the objectives because Random Joe over here goes afk or doesn't pull his weight.
    I think it's meant for a group of 3 friends. Sure you can queue alone, but I for one will be queuing with guildmates who don't raid.

    Paladin and D3 Moderator | MMO-C Guidelines | Signature and avatar art by Dancing Hare

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Discobiscuit View Post
    They mentioned that there won't be a timer. You just have to go as fast as you can. And then at the end you find out if you beat the timer or not.
    The problem is that they are optional. So if you take 5 min doing an optional objective that has to be completed in 4:30 you just wasted 5 min. Or if you think of it another way you wasted 30 sec since you could have just quit that objective once you knew you failed. Either way its a waste of time and valor/hr is what you are going for.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Discobiscuit View Post
    They mentioned that there won't be a timer. You just have to go as fast as you can. And then at the end you find out if you beat the timer or not.
    I'm sure Deadly Boss Mods can take care of that problem.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    The problem is that they are optional. So if you take 5 min doing an optional objective that has to be completed in 4:30 you just wasted 5 min. Or if you think of it another way you wasted 30 sec since you could have just quit that objective once you knew you failed. Either way its a waste of time and valor/hr is what you are going for.
    From the sound of the objectives, they are thing that you HAVE to do to beat the scenario anyway. You just have to do them quickly or skillfully. They aren't actual extra activities.

    I base this off the screen shot, where Borokhula is the final boss you need to beat to finish the scenario.

    I hope these get applied to LFR. Imagine if you got extra valor/gold for stuff like [ ] Don't fall into the hole on Elegon. [ ] Don't get naked on Spirit Kings. [ ] Don't trigger a crush on Garalon.

    People might actually try a bit harder. Rewards might have to be individual rather than group, due to lack of coordination.
    Last edited by Darmalus; 2013-03-29 at 06:49 AM.

  10. #10
    The idea of the hidden timer is, say you failed a quest there due to lack of DPS so they want you to still finish the scenario, make sure you don't leave in the middle when you see it failed.

  11. #11
    Hiding the timer is kind of stupid, you'll just need to install an add-on to display it. And I already have enough add-on to display information hidden/not accessible easily in the standard blizzard UI.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazlofski View Post
    The idea of the hidden timer is, say you failed a quest there due to lack of DPS so they want you to still finish the scenario, make sure you don't leave in the middle when you see it failed.
    I'm not sure if I like this. Either you're aiming to complete the objective or not, it shouldn't be something you ignore because you have no control over.

  13. #13
    Bloodsail Admiral Skeletroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    This Toilet Earth
    Posts
    1,214
    90 bonus valor seems excessive. I think it's time to buy 2 slaves and teach them to play WoW. Can't imagine how these could be done with your average random scenario runner.
    Last edited by Skeletroll; 2013-03-29 at 11:15 AM.
    Former unique snowflake.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletroll View Post
    90 bonus valor seems excessive. I think it's time to buy 2 slaves and teach them to play WoW. Can't imagine how these could be done with your average random scenario runner.
    Surely it won't be more than once per day, otherwise nobody will do anything but scenarios to valour cap.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Halifax View Post
    Surely you can find 2 friends to do them with, who you can trust to not randomly go afk.
    Oddly that seems to be the very opposite of the point of Scenarios. Get in quickly, not require the perfect setup, get out. Here comes Heroic mode, find 2 guild mates to run with or don't bother trying. I guess in a way I won't complain, as long as it's faster than a heroic dungeon, then it's worth it. If it's just to have some "challenging content" then blah!

  16. #16
    Fluffy Kitten Millennía's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    3,502
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletroll View Post
    90 bonus valor seems excessive. I think it's time to buy 2 slaves and teach them to play WoW. Can't imagine how these could be done with your average random scenario runner.
    Well on the plus side since you only need 3 people for the scenario you can just invite 2 friends/guildies because 2 is a lot easier to get than 4 which will make it much easier

  17. #17
    I can see these new scenarios will be full of drama. Like, omg why didn't you spec holy, omg why didn't you heal me you're hybrid, heal yourself scrub, use bandages, buy potion and so on.

  18. #18
    Did you try with 480 ilvl?

  19. #19
    The Lightbringer Tharkkun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Minnesnowta
    Posts
    3,024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Oddly that seems to be the very opposite of the point of Scenarios. Get in quickly, not require the perfect setup, get out. Here comes Heroic mode, find 2 guild mates to run with or don't bother trying. I guess in a way I won't complain, as long as it's faster than a heroic dungeon, then it's worth it. If it's just to have some "challenging content" then blah!
    I think that's the point. Scenarios turned out to be popular so they are expanding on the feature to add heroic level challenges for LFR raid loot. I personally like them because it's not the standard tank, healer, 3 dps strat. You have to be somewhat creative depending on the comp you get.

  20. #20
    Scarab Lord Anjerith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The apotheosis of all Deserts
    Posts
    4,983
    Why, oh Why are we whining about this?
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •