10+ Year Old Account

Seasonic 1000w plat motherboard cable

I just picked this psu up and I'm a little confused on something. The motherboard cable has one end that is 24 pins that goes to the mobo, and then on the other end it's an 18 pin plus a 10 pin connector splicing from that. My question is why is there 28 pins on the psu side and only 24 pins on mobo side. And also, the spliced end is so tight that it's hard to even connect the 10 pin to the connector below that one.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Probably just grounding pins on the PSU end of the ATX 24pin power cable.

10+ Year Old Account
    so is it common for there only to be 18 pins on the PSU side and 24 on the motherboard side? I would assume they would have to be both 24 pins.

You sure it isn't an 18+6pin on the PSU side. I have a Seasonic 860w Plat that is basically identical to the 1000W and that's what it has. I beleive my 1250W Gold is the same but I don't have it available to verify.
    Desktop: i7 6700k @ 4.8GHz | MSI 1080ti Gaming X | EVGA Classified K | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V @ 3200MHz | Samsung 950 Pro 256GB (OS) Micron 2TB SSD (Games) | Seasonic 750W Titanium | Corsair 750D | Acer x34 Predator Benq PD3200U
    HIDevolution NP9877 Laptop: Delidded i7 8700k @ 4.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 1080 | 16GB G.Skill @ 2946MHz | Samsung 950 Pro 256GB (OS) 2x 500GB SSDs (Games) | 1440p 120HZ GSync Display

Deleted
    It should have the following connectors:

10+ Year Old Account
    It is an 18+10 pinout. It's a proprietary Seasonic thing with the higher end PSU's. I've noticed some people having trouble contacting seasonic as to why, because it looks like it doesn't provide any more stable rails or anything.

To be clear, an upper cable is two rows of nine, a low cable is two rows of five, and these merge into the 24 pin that plug into the motherboard.

You can see it here
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    It is an 18+10 pinout. It's a proprietary Seasonic thing with the higher end PSU's. I've noticed some people having trouble contacting seasonic as to why, because it looks like it doesn't provide any more stable rails or anything.

To be clear, an upper cable is two rows of nine, a low cable is two rows of five, and these merge into the 24 pin that plug into the motherboard.

You can see it here
    So do I have to plug the 10 pin in as well? Where it splits is very short and I can't seem to plug it in to the PSU.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    So do I have to plug the 10 pin in as well? Where it splits is very short and I can't seem to plug it in to the PSU.
    Yea, you need to plug it in, it sounds like when they sleeved the cable they failed to line them up right. you should be able to slide the sleeve enough to re position the cable and allow you to plug it in.

10+ Year Old Account
    You definitely need to plug it in. What is holding it exactly? The end of the sleeve? It looks like (from other pictures of the cable) you can just bend the wires a bit to fit in the proper way.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    You definitely need to plug it in. What is holding it exactly? The end of the sleeve? It looks like (from other pictures of the cable) you can just bend the wires a bit to fit in the proper way.
    I finally got it to fit, but it was tough bending those wires around to fit it. God knows why they didn't split them vertically instead of horizontally.

Deleted
    Hi, I have the exact same problem but can't find out how to plug the 18 + 10 psu cable. Could you give me some more details please ?
    Thanks

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The image chazus linked, Where it says Mobo twice, the 18 pin plugs into the top mobo spot, and the 10pin plugs in to the mobo spot below it.

The 8pin CPU spot next to that one is for the 8pin CPU slot of course.
    The top right slot for PCI/CPU, I haven't quite figured out which its for. I haven't needed it so avoided. Maybe for the enthusiast grade motherboards?

Got the same PSU and it works for me the way I explained. It's a tough fit for the mobo pins, but it does fit. No idea why it's done that way but whatever. Amazing PSU regardless.

EDIT: Also just realized this is an old post. Next time just make a new post if you have a question instead of Necroing old posts. Avoids confusion and wasted time answering old questions.
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2014-11-14 at 04:47 PM.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Deleted
    Yes, thanks, I did as Chazus explained, looking at his picture.
    The 24 pin connector goes on the motherboard
    The 18 pin connector goes on the top left part (2 lines of 9 pins) ( with the M/B letters)
    THe 10 pin connector goes just below it (2 lines of 5 pins ) (as well with the M/B letters)

As Seezer said, indeed, it's weird they didn't split them vertically instead of horizontally.

I have posted a reply here in order to be sure the ones who have faced this problem could answer me, sorry.
    Thanks for your help.