Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by aSynchro View Post
    I play both games, but the only real thing that keep me in WoW is my guild/friends.
    GW2 is really an updated version of WoW: more fun and less frustrating.

I just can't stand how WoW as become an instanced dungeon/raid crawler game. Even with Blizzard trying there best to have people doing dailies outside in Pandaria, 80% of the world is still empty. Why go to the Outland ? Or non end-game of Azeroth ? The World is just empty.
    In GW2, i log, choose ANY zone i like, and just go there exploring, doing events etc. and in all those zones i meet people.

You know my favorite feeling in GW2 ?
    It's seeing a resource to gather (veins/herbs/tree), rushing to it, seeing another player doing the same, thinking "geez, he's gonna grab it instead of me" and then "oh... wait, that's right: we're both gonna took it, cool". Ok, that's just a little thing. but in WoW all those things add up and frustrate me. And that's why imho people are playing less and less together and more and more alone (pet battle anyone?). in GW2, you are *rewarded* each time another player is around, and that's alone is a wonderful feeling every MMORPG should aim for.
    This is a good description on some of the things a new age MMO brings. As WoW and many others sit in the older age, they have some mechanics that don't work so well anymore and just frustrate and annoy people. The mining node example is the perfect one, same for loot and many other things. GW2 did some amazing advancements in some aspects.

I mostly don't? I dunno. When they ran a recruit-a-friend weekend on one of their main one-time events that made it damn near unplayable during the first two days that I didn't bother taking the third off of work (oh but here have some precursors), then called Sunshine Island a "mini-expansion". Right.

I had a lot of fun with the weapon system. A lot of fun playing around with dual sword mesmers and melee necros and messing around with whatever else I felt like. ArenaNet's disregard for their players through their "marketing team" is going beyond disrespectful, and quite frankly the people with Stockholm Syndrome around it disgust me. Still waiting on "January's one of our biggest patches ever" guys. If half your team's taking vacation time, you don't promise that. Or then just delay by a month (now three) and have people still waiting for that "expansion's worth of content" that's amounted to... a shit tonne of tooltip updates, PvP leaderboards that don't work off of an ELO/MMR system, and a few events. It took seven months post-launch to get item previews from the Trading Post, or even better, server guesting, a feature that was promised to us in Alpha. A lot of my gamer friends went to different servers to play with their circles, but we had plans to get together via guesting, keep that going for us. Well, as some people faded in and out, each circle diminished in size, and those friends went back to playing other games, but people can use it now to hop onto servers where events are going on.

Not to mention that anyone who voiced concerns to ANet on their shit about Ascended Gear was treated with such utter contempt by the community on the O-Boards, the staff themselves through twitter accounts, yeah nice.

I liked the mechanics, chasing down champions to solo them without leaving melee range whenever possible was always amusing (and learning how to go toe-to-toe on dungeon bosses while everyone else was desperately trying to graveyard zerg rather than L2P) was great fun. But the company's left such a sour aftertaste that... I don't know. I find it hard to want to invest anything back in at this point.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aSynchro View Post
    You know my favorite feeling in GW2 ?
    It's seeing a resource to gather (veins/herbs/tree), rushing to it, seeing another player doing the same, thinking "geez, he's gonna grab it instead of me" and then "oh... wait, that's right: we're both gonna took it, cool". Ok, that's just a little thing. but in WoW all those things add up and frustrate me. And that's why imho people are playing less and less together and more and more alone (pet battle anyone?). in GW2, you are *rewarded* each time another player is around, and that's alone is a wonderful feeling every MMORPG should aim for.
    I just found out recently that how they do the shared node thing is each node is a player instance. That's how you get the animation of the tree falling after you chop it down and the player next to you sees the tree still standing until they chop it down.

That's pretty damn innovative!
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Just because its on my hard drive and sometimes I get bored, I wouldn't particularly say I'm going out of my way to play it, the lack of LFG and having to use a website to form a group left it impossible (well not realyl but harder) to form a story mode AC and noone wanted me in there explorable mode because I was too noob :S Shame because I started to get in to it a bit more.

Just started playing a bit again, and they finally fixed one of the traits of the Engineer. Took them long enough, now if only they could fix the rest of the broken traits...
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Future pvp updates, for now I just grind pve until the pvp is fixed. After my monthlies though I go play WoW until next month comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellerana View Post
    I'm actually kind of surprised that I am enjoying end game without the raids.
    So am I but I would like to see them in there (but with a twist) They are doing what I want with fractals but its the same 9 dungeons (which is quite a lot) over and over again with no progression outside of just gaining levels.

What I would like is a 5man progression dungeon. Its a huge dungeon with multiple bosses and takes hours to complete. You unlock stages that take you deeper towards an ultimate goal. What they have now are different paths within the same dungeon. I would like to see a linear path of increasing difficulty the size of storymode+3 explorable modes. Where you end up taking on larger and more complex bosses, picking up items along the way to help you (like legendaries) but you can't keep them. Have it save your progress so you can return to it later on.

I would also like to see some kind of guild raid. I like that they have implemented guild missions and I have the feeling that they will develop things to do with your guild further. Perhaps even instanced raids.
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

Deleted
    I guess mostly because it's casual friendly or easy to pick up like some said. The dailys are easy and a good reason to do something in the world and not hang around in the same dungeon all day.
    Alts also are a good option for me. I have three 80's now and a 30 on it's way.

Oh and also for someone who usually does very little pvp, I REALLY enjoy changing my build very fast WITHOUT FARMING my a... off. When I loose it's my build or my skill. No excuses the gear difference made me go down

Edit... What syn said: This game gives me a feeling people are around to help each other, not to try to be fast and be the first and ONLY one to pick up the loot / mob.
    Last edited by mmoc1b7584db99; 2013-04-08 at 02:14 PM.

Deleted
    So, I havent played WoW for a loong time and I wont as its boring as most MMOs atm for me. I dont play a lot anymore but Im thinking about coming back and give GW2 a chance to play it very casually.

I did play it to like lvl 7 then I quit when it came out lol. It just felt like every MMO before for me and the instant 80 and all skills/weapons for PvP was just too much. It felt like it was too much to learn at once. Sure u can lvl and take it slow but I played WoW at that moment too.

Anyway Im just checking here is there like anything to do when you are 80? Like collect some gear or armor to look cool. I always like to like have some kind of goal and as this game doesnt really seem to have a straight goal I dunno. With that said I dont need a new goal all the time as WoW release patches.

That jumping thing that looks a little like minecraft looks fun as hell. Ill probably DL it again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Totikki View Post
    So, I havent played WoW for a loong time and I wont as its boring as most MMOs atm for me. I dont play a lot anymore but Im thinking about coming back and give GW2 a chance to play it very casually.

I did play it to like lvl 7 then I quit when it came out lol. It just felt like every MMO before for me and the instant 80 and all skills/weapons for PvP was just too much. It felt like it was too much to learn at once. Sure u can lvl and take it slow but I played WoW at that moment too.

Anyway Im just checking here is there like anything to do when you are 80? Like collect some gear or armor to look cool. I always like to like have some kind of goal and as this game doesnt really seem to have a straight goal I dunno. With that said I dont need a new goal all the time as WoW release patches.

That jumping thing that looks a little like minecraft looks fun as hell. Ill probably DL it again.
    If you are bored of mmo's and you only got to level 7 last time, do not bother. Not enough has changed. Well...actualyl just dl it, what have you got to lose. Just expect to be bored if you were before.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still play off and on but it seems like I get into it and then realize there is no gear treadmill and I cant help but feel like whats the point? I play for a weekend, but then try and login later in the following week and just end up finding something else to play.

Deleted
    Used to play it unlike "Sunshine Island" as someone said *laughed way too much at that* and then just lost any interest. So, Anet said they didn't want gear treadmills, games you grind in or to "play as you like?" BS - fractals get you gear, you either grind or have F all to do (I know...jumping puzzles, exploration...I just found it depressing how there's no one in the world and just in Lion's Arch) and it feels different to how I thought. I know it wasn't meant to be like GW 1, which I actually play a fair bit now and love, but at the same time it doesn't feel anything like it. Even if this might sound like a QQ or whine I really feel like Anet lied and made a generic MMO. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth as I really loved this game at the start, now its months since I logged in.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I play because it has always been fun and will always be fun. Have I ever managed to play long enough to hit 80? No. Most of it is because I spend a lot of time mucking about doing lots of other things instead of 'leveling'. There's nothing specifically wrong with that, but I feel I have missed some of the enjoyment for having 'end game' goals that I can accomplish such as going for legendaries and specific gear, farming gold, etc.

It's fun to run around any lower zone I please, but not being able to do the highest level content means I'm missing out on more than people give the game credit for. SAB brought me back, but hopefully I can stick around for a while now. It also doesn't help that GW2 triggers my altitis because of how fun it is to create new characters and how different they are visually and in playstyle.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    Habit, familiar, been playing for 7 years, feel at home, still need to get legendary's. I'm always on the fence as to if that is enough to keep me here, since the community is dire and the game is boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    Habit, familiar, been playing for 7 years, feel at home, still need to get legendary's. I'm always on the fence as to if that is enough to keep me here, since the community is dire and the game is boring.
    You've been playing GW2 for 7 years? Are you a Time Lord?
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    You've been playing GW2 for 7 years? Are you a Time Lord?
    One assumes hes means the GW universe :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    One assumes hes means the GW universe :P
    With a WoW avatar, one can't safely assume anything. The opinion was pretty generic and easily a front page response from a WoW player.

If he was really speaking about the GW universe, it seems a little silly to group games that are completely different in terms of gameplay and design given the original topic.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    With a WoW avatar, one can't safely assume anything. The opinion was pretty generic and easily a front page response from a WoW player.

If he was really speaking about the GW universe, it seems a little silly to group games that are completely different in terms of gameplay and design given the original topic.
    That actually is a good point, it could be he saw it on the front page and assumed it was wow related, I just saw legendaries and couldnt think of a single legendary in wow that would drive someone to play for that sole reason :S

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    That actually is a good point, it could be he saw it on the front page and assumed it was wow related, I just saw legendaries and couldnt think of a single legendary in wow that would drive someone to play for that sole reason :S
    Well this phase in WoW, everyone gets a legendary because it is part of an ongoing quest line that gets updated every patch. One more way to string people along lol. I could see that some people keep playing to complete that story and have the item. Obviously older legendaries are much more easily obtainable.

But in all possibility he could be talking about GW2 as the legendary statement would be more apt for this game. I was just all sorts of confuzzled. If they don't respond, it was probably about WoW lol.
    BAD WOLF

You can do so much in this game, and yet most people choose to do nothing. One of the many reasons that what I play and what I read on the forums is two different realities, and it has never been more true than with GW2 and MMO Champion.