Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Disc priest wanting to improve

    Greetings people!

    My guild recently (about 1-2 months ago) moved over from a private server to the real deal.

    I started playing disc and I want to make sure I'm playing the class correctly and as close to its full potential as possible.

    Here are my char and some recent logs

    EU - Grimfearr at Sylvanas

    Logs :
    warcraftlogs [dot] com/reports/YktNxJzZyB2Xp9Rw

    Couple of things I realize for myself after trying to analyze the logs:
    -poor SS usage
    -archangel uptime can be better on some fights
    -poor IF usage
    -poor PoM usage

    Anything you can add to the list is appreciated. Remarks on gear/gemming/reforging is also appreciated.


    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimwish View Post
    Greetings people!

    My guild recently (about 1-2 months ago) moved over from a private server to the real deal.

    I started playing disc and I want to make sure I'm playing the class correctly and as close to its full potential as possible.

    Here are my char and some recent logs

    EU - Grimfearr at Sylvanas

    Logs :
    warcraftlogs [dot] com/reports/YktNxJzZyB2Xp9Rw

    Couple of things I realize for myself after trying to analyze the logs:
    -poor SS usage
    -archangel uptime can be better on some fights
    -poor IF usage
    -poor PoM usage

    Anything you can add to the list is appreciated. Remarks on gear/gemming/reforging is also appreciated.


    Thanks!
    Spirit Shell - do you have DBM/bigwigs to track boss mechanic timers?
    PoM - Depends on fights, some fights don't really benefit much from PoM use - spread fights with minimal melee damage don't play well with PoM.

    You didn't log out on your disc set, so it's hard to comment on your reforges/enchants/etc.

    Some general advice: download weakauras and track casts that should go off cd, like AA, Penance, Holy Fire/Solace, Rapture, Divine Star/Cascade/Halo.
    To be human is to possess superior intelligence to other species, yet channel that otherwise-wondrous potential into the most degenerate of endeavors rather than benefiting the world.

  3. #3
    Just tracking your abilities for use will make a pretty big difference as it looks to me like that's your primary area needing improvement. You're going to get some debate on using SS, some will say use on CD, others say save it for big damage output, and both really are right. If the raid is expecting big damage, absolutely use SS then, but don't save it only for those moments. A lot of Disc players will say that good SS use is the hallmark of a good Disc Priest. Pair it with AA if you can.

    I like to use IF with SS and PW:S and PoH to quickly distribute shields.

  4. #4
    Mechagnome Naer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    <Intent>
    Posts
    639
    Greetings, you look pretty find as far as gearing, as good as you can be right now anyways. You need to get the minor Glyph of Sha, however. It removes the GCD from Shadowfiend so it's definitely useful.

    You seem to do okay with ToF, definitely game that proc for maximum uptime. Your Archangel usage is good. However:

    -Make sure you're casting PW:Sol/HF on CD. The only reason to ignore it would be that you're in the middle of PoH + SS 'ing basically.
    -Better PoM usage. During ticking damage it's quite powerful. If it's bouncing even a few times it's definitely worth casting.
    -Throw some PW:S's out during Lucidity. You get your rapture return of the 100% cost of PW:S even though it didn't cost anything to cast. Good targets are people with dots/bleeds.
    -At the very least, cast PW:S for rapture, which you're barely meeting-- Once every 12 seconds.
    -Spirit Shell usage. Some fights you are right on, others you don't cast it at all. You should be using it every fight and there is an ideal time for it on every encounter.

    >Right before Immerseus comes up
    >Calamity and Dark Meditation
    >Pretty much on CD, but definitely with Multiple big Adds up on Noru
    >Swelling Pride
    >Pretty much on CD on Galakras
    >Shock Pulses 1/3
    >Falling Ash, also when the dot is on a lot of people
    >War Songs (you can track his rage and be aware of what he'll like use next)
    >On CD for Malkorok, also during Blood Rage
    >Big AoE damage from mini-bosses in spoils
    >Thok is on CD, use IF to gain immunity to interrupts for at least 2 cast. Chain into a Devo Aura for maximum use.
    >Siegecrafter for Death from Above and Magnetic Crush
    >Feed (heroic only I think), cap it out on tanks if they're squishy, Fire Lines, Reave (heroic only)
    > Iron Stars or Desecrates depending

    You should macro in Inner Focus to Spirit Shell, always. No exceptions really.

    Download WA's is solid advice. You need to be able to track CD's and procs.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Naer View Post
    Greetings, you look pretty find as far as gearing, as good as you can be right now anyways. You need to get the minor Glyph of Sha, however. It removes the GCD from Shadowfiend so it's definitely useful.

    You seem to do okay with ToF, definitely game that proc for maximum uptime. Your Archangel usage is good. However:

    -Make sure you're casting PW:Sol/HF on CD. The only reason to ignore it would be that you're in the middle of PoH + SS 'ing basically.
    -Better PoM usage. During ticking damage it's quite powerful. If it's bouncing even a few times it's definitely worth casting.
    -Throw some PW:S's out during Lucidity. You get your rapture return of the 100% cost of PW:S even though it didn't cost anything to cast. Good targets are people with dots/bleeds.
    -At the very least, cast PW:S for rapture, which you're barely meeting-- Once every 12 seconds.
    -Spirit Shell usage. Some fights you are right on, others you don't cast it at all. You should be using it every fight and there is an ideal time for it on every encounter.

    >Right before Immerseus comes up
    >Calamity and Dark Meditation
    >Pretty much on CD, but definitely with Multiple big Adds up on Noru
    >Swelling Pride
    >Pretty much on CD on Galakras
    >Shock Pulses 1/3
    >Falling Ash, also when the dot is on a lot of people
    >War Songs (you can track his rage and be aware of what he'll like use next)
    >On CD for Malkorok, also during Blood Rage
    >Big AoE damage from mini-bosses in spoils
    >Thok is on CD, use IF to gain immunity to interrupts for at least 2 cast. Chain into a Devo Aura for maximum use.
    >Siegecrafter for Death from Above and Magnetic Crush
    >Feed (heroic only I think), cap it out on tanks if they're squishy, Fire Lines, Reave (heroic only)
    > Iron Stars or Desecrates depending

    You should macro in Inner Focus to Spirit Shell, always. No exceptions really.

    Download WA's is solid advice. You need to be able to track CD's and procs.
    Do not use spirit shell on CD for Malk. Use it for blood rage or with a cancel aura to get your 4pc bonus for Halo.

  6. #6
    Mechagnome Naer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    <Intent>
    Posts
    639
    If you use it at the start it will be up near the end of blood rage (barrier is more useful for blood rage than spirit shell, objectively.)

    Keeping everyone blanketed with spirit shell and DA greatly increases survivability. I never found the 4pc to be worth, and certainly not for halo (though I have a substantial amount of mastery with raid buffs.) Instead pre-potting int when you pop halo is more than fine. Wasting the mastery proc from the 4pc on halo seems silly.

    I suppose on cd was a bit of a misnomer. Hopefully this will clarify.

    Doing it in this order projects the raid from the constant ticking damage, where they are most vulnerable: at the start and directly after blood rage.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    Do not use spirit shell on CD for Malk. Use it for blood rage or with a cancel aura to get your 4pc bonus for Halo.
    I don't think any disc priests are really using the 4pc unless they are forced to due to lack of drops.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Naer View Post
    If you use it at the start it will be up near the end of blood rage (barrier is more useful for blood rage than spirit shell, objectively.)

    Keeping everyone blanketed with spirit shell and DA greatly increases survivability. I never found the 4pc to be worth, and certainly not for halo (though I have a substantial amount of mastery with raid buffs.) Instead pre-potting int when you pop halo is more than fine. Wasting the mastery proc from the 4pc on halo seems silly.

    I suppose on cd was a bit of a misnomer. Hopefully this will clarify.

    Doing it in this order projects the raid from the constant ticking damage, where they are most vulnerable: at the start and directly after blood rage.
    Nope, you don't want to use SS in the beginning. Simply spamming POH>SS with SS during blood rage. Read below for the 4pc with halo thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jinze View Post
    I don't think any disc priests are really using the 4pc unless they are forced to due to lack of drops.
    Right, I know BiS does not include 4pc. I threw that option in because like you said, some people are forced to due to lack of drops (me included).

  9. #9
    Mechagnome Naer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    <Intent>
    Posts
    639
    Can you justify why you wouldn't want to blanket with absorbs to prevent people from dropping below 100% at the start of the fight?

    Because myself (and many others included) are capping DA at this point, or close to it. The mastery buff is better used on Spirit Shell itself.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Naer View Post
    Can you justify why you wouldn't want to blanket with absorbs to prevent people from dropping below 100% at the start of the fight?

    Because myself (and many others included) are capping DA at this point, or close to it. The mastery buff is better used on Spirit Shell itself.
    5 stacks of evang->halo->poh. On malk poh is exactly the same as SS except with poh you get the benefit of mastery. The people won't be dropping below 100% at the start of the fight because the people you'll be healing would've just gotten hit by your halo.

  11. #11
    I really appreciate the time and effort that everyone that has replied has put in.

    I found all your advice extremely useful (especially the SS timing,PoM usage and the malkoron discussion) and I'll try to put it to good use in my upcoming raids.

    I took your advice and downloaded WA2 and set up WAs for all the spells that need to be cast on cd as well as the other important buffs that need to be tracked (meta gem,rapture)

    A few questions come to mind:

    1. Out of Penance(regardless if offense or defense one) and PW: Sol - which one takes precedence?
    2. With the 2pc set bonus, should I be casting AA on cd or should I try to time it with periods that require higher output/SSing?

    Thanks again!

  12. #12
    Mechagnome Naer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    <Intent>
    Posts
    639
    Im 25 man so I am generally casting AA on CD. If you know that big damage won't be coming for 20-40 seconds, hold it for another 10. Remember that AA is up for 18 seconds with 5 stacks of evangelism. Your uptime should never dip below 45% in logs. I regularly get 55% myself.

    Prioritize penance over hf but generally you should hit hf/pw sol directly afterwards. Penance is only slightly better because it hit a like a truck and is a smart AoE heal that is pretty hefty. Pw sol / hf has the advatage of triggering and refresh tof in add fights especially.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    5 stacks of evang->halo->poh. On malk poh is exactly the same as SS except with poh you get the benefit of mastery. The people won't be dropping below 100% at the start of the fight because the people you'll be healing would've just gotten hit by your halo.
    SS scales with mastery. -_-"

    And many healers love to pop most, if not all of their healing cds at the start of the fight, which makes the healing component of PoH next to useless with Tranqs HTTs Revivals and DHs firing off at the start.
    To be human is to possess superior intelligence to other species, yet channel that otherwise-wondrous potential into the most degenerate of endeavors rather than benefiting the world.

  14. #14
    Mechagnome Naer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    <Intent>
    Posts
    639
    That and Spirit Shell is guaranteed to blanket with absorbs, which does more than raw healing for your raid at that time in the fight.

    To each their own.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinze View Post
    I don't think any disc priests are really using the 4pc unless they are forced to due to lack of drops.
    If they have lack of drops, but still have 4 peices the chest/legs should be shadow. Shadow legs are BiS for disc, and chest is only 2nd to heroic warforged thok chest.

  16. #16
    The Lightbringer Humbugged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    A state of madness
    Posts
    3,514
    If you're a troll priest, macro Berserking (20% haste) with IF and AA, then quickly blanket the raid with Spirit Shell.

    Honestly, rerolling Troll has been the best decision I've made for going Disc, I'd suggest BE if you're Holy or Human if you're Alliance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    If it's too hard, go to bed and forget about it.

    - Manakin.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    SS scales with mastery. -_-"

    And many healers love to pop most, if not all of their healing cds at the start of the fight, which makes the healing component of PoH next to useless with Tranqs HTTs Revivals and DHs firing off at the start.
    No it doesn't, unless I misunderstood the "Spirit Shell no longer benefits from Mastery" change. You saying everyone popping their CDs at the beginning of the fight making the healing component useless would go against the "you want to make sure nobody dips below 100% at the beginning of the fight" from Naer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Naer View Post
    That and Spirit Shell is guaranteed to blanket with absorbs, which does more than raw healing for your raid at that time in the fight.

    To each their own.
    It does not do more raw healing for your raid.

    #1 Disc Log on Malk: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=1974&e=2026 Oh hey look, no Spirit Shell.

    #2 Disc Log: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=9274&e=9530 No Spirit Shell.

    #3 Disc Log: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=5948&e=6213 Spirit shell only during Blood Rage.

    #4 Disc Log: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=6742&e=6981 No Spirit Shell.

    #5 Disc Log: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=4214&e=4472 Spirit Shell only during Blood Rage.

  18. #18
    Mechagnome Naer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    <Intent>
    Posts
    639
    You are misunderstanding the change, yes. It was double dipping from mastery previously, now mastery calculation is only applied once.

    Also you linked top parsing logs of fights that didn't last longer than a minute. That really isnt representative of how healing this encounter actually plays out, because the encounter duration is so short you just dump all your throughput into the meter. The few that did last longer are still gimmicky, but that's another matter all together. Linking top parses isnt a good example of anything but how powerful healers are right now.

    Raw healing where is counts is a completely different matter. With a raid progressing on the fight, absorbs from spirit shell will save lives from bumping into orbs or soaking when already at a low shield. I was technically wrong, spirit shell is going to yield less throughput strictly speaking. But spirit shell will provide more coverage and more room for error.

    If you want to rank, you're often not healing the encounter in a traditional way. Many ranks are gimicky.

    Perhaps spirit shell at the start may not be optimal, but you are wrong about the mastery influence upon spirit shell.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Naer View Post
    You are misunderstanding the change, yes. It was double dipping from mastery previously, now mastery calculation is only applied once.

    Also you linked top parsing logs of fights that didn't last longer than a minute. That really isnt representative of how healing this encounter actually plays out, because the encounter duration is so short you just dump all your throughput into the meter. The few that did last longer are still gimmicky, but that's another matter all together. Linking top parses isnt a good example of anything but how powerful healers are right now.

    Raw healing where is counts is a completely different matter. With a raid progressing on the fight, absorbs from spirit shell will save lives from bumping into orbs or soaking when already at a low shield. I was technically wrong, spirit shell is going to yield less throughput strictly speaking. But spirit shell will provide more coverage and more room for error.

    If you want to rank, you're often not healing the encounter in a traditional way. Many ranks are gimicky.

    Perhaps spirit shell at the start may not be optimal, but you are wrong about the mastery influence upon spirit shell.
    That's fair, if I misunderstood it then I accept that I was wrong there. Also yeah the first one was in fact less than a minute long, so don't count that one. However, you can look at the other attempts from that top guy and see he wasn't using it outside of Blood Rage. Also, every other one I linked was a full duration.

    If you look at the dude's post, he was asking about maximizing his potential, he was looking at his logs. If you want to maximize your healing potential, you do not use SS outside of Blood Rage. Not to mention you're both adding to people's shields, AND putting up DA to help outside the shields when you use PoH vs SS.

  20. #20
    Mechagnome Naer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    <Intent>
    Posts
    639
    Hmmm. Fair enough, Post.

    Glad I could take something away from this debate. Ill try it out on farm too, see how it goes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •