Problems tanking Durumu 10N

Hey guys I was hoping to pick your brains a little to find out if there are any tricks that you guys have figured out to help you further reduce damage taken during this fight. The Serious Wound healing debuff really works against us on two fronts, reducing heals from DS which in turn makes our bloodsheilds get smaller and smaller as the stacks get higher. Also, if you are tanking during light beams staying alive gets even trickier since your healers are having to watch the raid much more attentatively and can't tunnel vision you. In previous attempts we've been two tanking/two healing this fight but the DPS is still far too tight for comfort and we want to switch to one tanking, using a pally bop to clear the stacks.

That being said, I am already using my usual bag of tricks:

-AMZ to eat the little magic damage ticks from the beam
    -AMS to eat beam damage when stacks get higher or when stepping into the lifedrain beam
    -DRW/Avoidance Trinket before a high stack Hard Stare to hopefully facilitate a little beefier blood sheild and make healing after the Stare a little easier on the healers.
    -Using deathpact/rune tap before or after a Hard Stare if I am too low to surive the hit or after to try to top me off in the event that healers are struggling to remove the bleed.
    -Using glyphed IBF for really nasty high stacked Hard Stares.

So what are you guys doing? anything different? Is this just something that healers are going to have to deal with or should I simply step out and let someone else tank this until I get better gear?

One idea I had, which I don't know if it would be worth it, was to glyph death coil pool some RP between Stares and start using it at high stacks to build another damage sheild on top of the much weakened blood sheild.

Quote Originally Posted by Guts the Black Swordsman View Post
    Hey guys I was hoping to pick your brains a little to find out if there are any tricks that you guys have figured out to help you further reduce damage taken during this fight. The Serious Wound healing debuff really works against us on two fronts, reducing heals from DS which in turn makes our bloodsheilds get smaller and smaller as the stacks get higher. Also, if you are tanking during light beams staying alive gets even trickier since your healers are having to watch the raid much more attentatively and can't tunnel vision you. In previous attempts we've been two tanking/two healing this fight but the DPS is still far too tight for comfort and we want to switch to one tanking, using a pally bop to clear the stacks.

One idea I had, which I don't know if it would be worth it, was to glyph death coil pool some RP between Stares and start using it at high stacks to build another damage sheild on top of the much weakened blood sheild.
    Not gonna delve into more than the bolded part; effects that reduce or increase the healing (with a few exceptions such as the T14 4p) of Death Strike don't affect Blood Shield at all, only damage taken does.
    Last edited by Vereesa; 2013-03-29 at 06:54 PM.
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL

blood shield is not affected by the healing debuff. You should be getting normal sized shields despite the debuff (they may just seem small because he really doesn't hit that hard, his only threat is the debuff). Historically death knights have not been affected (good or bad) by healing buffs or debuffs in terms of our blood shield, because then it would become a nightmare to maintain balance. We would be unusable on a lot of fights but broken overpowered on a lot of others.

Anyway more advice. You can absorb his stare, so if you are needing more help there then go with Blood Tap and use at least 1 if not two death strikes before EVERY stare. This will minimize any burst threat from that if it's an issue.

I would not glyph IBF. There really isn't any reason to glyph it here, as the stare isn't what's going to kill you as much as just too much damage being taken with too high of the healing debuff. The full duration is what you want, since you want the 8 full extra seconds of reduced damage when you're at high stacks.

Also you cannot death coil shield yourself. Though you can use it on the other tank if you want to be a good boy when your not tanking

I'm just curious how do you time pally bubble? We haven't thought about one tanking before. And we only have one ret pally. As far as I can imagine doesn't look like we can time it very well.

So Blood Shields are calculated from the amount of healing the deathstrike would do ignoring the amount of healing it actually does? It defiately seemed that as I had more stacks from the boss it became harder and harder to build a worthwhile bloodshield. Perhaps they were just getting chewed through to fast for me to notice. I'll switch to Blood Tap and start pooling charges for extra strikes.

Your blood shield is calculated from un altered healing, except for 4 piece tier 14. Example a mob does mortal strike on you, and you use death strike, the blood shield will be the exact same as if there was no moral strike effect present on you.