15+ Year Old Account

WoW and upgrading GPU or CPU

Ok, my custom built computer is a little dated. In the last two years the only two items that I've upgraded were the motherboard and the RAM (8 gigs of DDR5). I currently use an Intel 1700 I think it was (purchased fairly new three years ago [just before Cata was released]) and an ATI Radion 5700. I mostly play WoW on my computer, though I have started playing a few other non-graphic heavy games (I think my most extreme is Mass Effect 3). Basically I feel like the upgrades in Mists are starting to hit my performance in game and I would like to slowly upgrade my equipment and trying to decide whether to go with the GPU or the CPU.

I'm not sure what an Intel 1700 is. You mind running CPU-Z or Speccy and tell us the exact name of the CPU and motherboard?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

15+ Year Old Account
    CPU = Intel i7 860
    Motherboard = Asus P7P55D-E
    GPU = Asus Radeon 5750

Odd, I thought I bought 2 4 Gig DDR5s; says I'm using 2 4 Gig DDR3.
    Last edited by Hinalover; 2013-03-29 at 07:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinalover View Post
    I feel like the upgrades in Mists are starting to hit my performance in game and I would like to slowly upgrade my equipment and trying to decide whether to go with the GPU or the CPU.
    definitely go GPU first. what's your budget look like?
    Grandmaster Tidestout
    <Stand Tall>US-Stormrage

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maemae View Post
    definitely go GPU first. what's your budget look like?
    enough to buy one or the other high end from like Newegg. If you have to have a number; probably 400-450.
    Last edited by Hinalover; 2013-03-29 at 07:44 PM.

Monitor the gpu loads with vsync disabled. If that card is pushing to 99% and giving low fps just means you have to upgrade the GPU.

CPU = Intel i7 860
    Motherboard = Asus P7P55D-E
    GPU = Asus Radeon 5750

Odd, I thought I bought 2 4 Gig DDR5s; says I'm using 2 4 Gig DDR3.
    DDR5 is used in graphics cards, thats probably where you remember that from. Anyway, your processor should still be fine so I'd def pick up a new GPU. Which GPU you should get depends: What resolution are you playing at? Do you intend to play anything besides WOW?

That said... I'm running a sandy i5@4.5ghz and a 7950 overclocked to the heavens, and I'm still dropping frames during certain encounters in ToT. I suspect Blizzard didn't do a great job of optimizing some of those new effects.
    Last edited by nazrakin; 2013-03-29 at 08:40 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nazrakin View Post
    What resolution are you playing at? Do you intend to play anything besides WOW?
    1900x1080; setting wise generally either good or high, though playing at Ultra would be ideal, not likely going to happen anytime soon it sounds like.

I'm starting to pick up a few more PC games lately. Nothing like Crysis might I add, but I just picked up Dead Space 3 due to the EA thing with SimCity.

Ultra would be ideal, not likely going to happen anytime soon it sounds like.
    My 200 buck gpu can run WoW on ultra (not everything maxed) With a 400 $ budget you should be fine
    My first build:
    Storage: Kingston SSD Now V200+ 120G and WD Caviar Blue HDD 500 G
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    Mobo, Ram, PSU Gigabyte Z77-D3H and G.Skill ripjaw 2x 4G with XFX 550w
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian