Question [MW] - Ascension x Chi Brew x Power Strikes

Hello Guys,

I need some advice about witch talent will help the most nowadays. I saw many monks using now Chi Brew, is it better than Ascension? And some top monk (on ranks) are using the Power Strikes? Why?

Ascension is a good mana recover talent and Chi Brew is a healing CD, but now that Chi comes more fluid is it worth? Anyone have some math on that?

Power strikes averages out to be most chi generated per second, chi brew serves as a cooldown for times where you need high burst healing, ascension is flatout worse in mana regen once you start factoring in the mana saved from chi generation by the other two talents, so it's only usefulness would be some strange situation where you need to have 5 max chi instead of 4.

Therefore the choice is between power strikes (more average output) or chi brew (more burst output).

Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post
    Power strikes averages out to be most chi generated per second, chi brew serves as a cooldown for times where you need high burst healing, ascension is flatout worse in mana regen once you start factoring in the mana saved from chi generation by the other two talents, so it's only usefulness would be some strange situation where you need to have 5 max chi instead of 4.

Therefore the choice is between power strikes (more average output) or chi brew (more burst output).
    Partially true.

Ascension can be better than both of the others depending on how many priests are in your raid. Hymn of Hope increases Ascension's usefulness quite a bit, and depending on how many hymns you have per boss, it can quickly scale past the other 2 in terms of mana regen.

Personally, I grab Ascension because on the off chance I do pop a fistweave every now and then, it increases the mana returned from Muscle Memory. (Jab costs 8% BASE mana, whereas Muscle Memory restores 4% of your TOTAL mana). That, and I often sit at way more chi than I could ever find useful now that the level 30 talents don't cost chi. I struggle to get mana tea when healing from ranged. Extra chi won't help that. I have plenty of chi, but unless I purposely overheal, it's pointless to use except on heavy tank damage fights or heavy raid damage moments.
    Last edited by Myzou; 2013-03-30 at 02:13 PM.

For this tier, I'm loving chi brew. There are many fights where it is an awesome CD to have, especially when youve lined up your TFT properly. Heroic jinrohk during lightning stoms, tortos quake stomp, magaera rampages (or even at the end if you've killed a few green heads), ji-kun quills, dark animus after a jolt, iron qon during tornado phase (i tft right before, try to have some chi, pump out uplifts as I run), lei shen thunderstrikes, etc.

It's a great CD to have imo.

Quote Originally Posted by stoik View Post
    For this tier, I'm loving chi brew. There are many fights where it is an awesome CD to have, especially when youve lined up your TFT properly. Heroic jinrohk during lightning stoms, tortos quake stomp, magaera rampages (or even at the end if you've killed a few green heads), ji-kun quills, dark animus after a jolt, iron qon during tornado phase (i tft right before, try to have some chi, pump out uplifts as I run), lei shen thunderstrikes, etc.

I would say stoik resumed it nicely. Setting up a good TfT for specific timers is a big plus for most encounters this tier and chi brew lines up with every 2nd TfT which has been for quite a while a valuable property of chi brew. It literally becomes the best talent in that tier for throughput if you use it that way. You'll find that it's funny because we always observe an excess inflow of chi when there is a negligible amount of healing to do, yet chi becomes scarce when we need to heal during those TfT.

Take your pick, personally Power Strikes just increases the excess chi being generated when it is actually not demanded and well Ascension allows for that extra storage of chi and increased mp5 regen during fistweaving which personally is something that I haven't practiced a lot this tier unless the enrage timer gets tight.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by stoik View Post

Should only really be doing this once you're out of the tornadoes, the uplifts at least. Anyway, PS is going to be better than CB in any scenario you find yourself chi starved over a long period of time. These are usually fights where there's consistent AoE, or fights where you have more responsibility over the tanks than you otherwise would have while raid healing.

So it is right to say the safe way to go is with power strikes

Deleted
    These are my numbers based on the new maths I'm using to model a fight,

420 second fight;

Ascension; +1243 MP5, 116 uplifts possible, 33 mana tea stacks, 5321 MP5 from mana tea.

Power Strikes; 124 uplifts possible, 35 mana tea stacks, 5000 MP5 from mana tea.

Chi Brew; 122 uplifts possible; 35 mana tea stacks, 5000 MP5 from mana tea.

tl:dr; Ascension is the option if you're struggling on mana, Power Strikes if you're long term chi starved, Chi Brew if you're willing to forego long term chi generation for the ability to time it for larger output.

The ability to use more of those uplifts during TFT more than likely makes TFT's raw throughput at the very least equal to power strikes...and likely better, even in sustained.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    So far, I've found that most encounters have some sort of raid splash damage and one big raid damage output (or several). With that being said (25m), I find Chi Brew to be more useful in those situations because the splash damage will be eaten up by hots and snipe heals. Now, if we discuss a fight like Twins, where there is constant raid AoE damage going out, then perhaps it would be good to switch to Power Strike for more consistent chi for uplifts. However, I can totally see the flip side for the moon twin Seun (I think that's its name). Throwing ReM only on ranged and saving Chi Brew for the ranged attack and being able to spam 4-5 Uplifts on those ranged is huge.

Lei Shens Thunderstruck lines up perfectly with our TFT (depending on your strat, it lines up way better with my 4p then without) and you'll be able to Chi Brew every second one.