Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Tier 15 Hunter Raiding Tips and Tricks

All credit for the original thread goes to bellatrix, who has retired from raiding for the moment, and asked for the thread to be taken over. Please post in this thread in the future.

Please don't post in here until you have done the fight on live since things can change since the PTR.

If appropriate please indicate if your tip is for 10 or 25 man raiding - example "Deterrence blocks XYZ" - applies to everyone. "Use XYZ ability to CC adds" - probably applies to a specific raid size strat.

Please indicate if your tip applies to heroic instead of normal - heroic tips will be proceeded by the letter H and typed in blue

Jin'rokh
    • Pets will get the pool buff based on the hunter's position, not the pet
    • lightning orbs and nova damage is deterrable - probably better used for lightning storm ticks though
    • Lynx Rush lines up with the puddles perfectly. MoC doesn't
    • Some people are recommending holding CDs for the first puddle. If you're MM it's probably best to blow CDs while you have careful aim - you won't have it in the pool
    • H -you can deterrence before ionization comes out and you will not get the debuff

Horridon
    • Binding Shot will stun the adds
    • Distracting shot works on the Frozen Warlords, no DR, which can help tanks reset their mortal strike debuff.
    • You can fully reflect Double Swipe damage with deterrence.

Council
    • You can deterrence sand storm and dark power.
    • You can also master's call the entrapped debuff.
    • Binding Shot on the Council of Elders adds - Loa Spirit and Sand adds
    • Posthaste does break the sandtrap root on Council

Tortos
    • If it happens to go off, Deterrence will prevent 100% of the breath from Tortos
    • Ice trap can slow turtle & bats but you may want to think twice before you use it. If you have a better aoe slow in your raid (like DK's Chilblains), you may not want to use your ice trap because silly program thinks ice trap is a "more powerful" slow and override other 50% duration-based slow effect.
    • Glyph of Liberation does heal your shield, although I'm fairly sure Spirit Bond doesn't.

Megaera
    • You can deterrence the rage
    • You can deterrence Poison Bombs
    • Deterrence prevents the application of Cinders on Meg- I've gotten lucky a handful of times when blocking Poison Bombs that Det has been up as Cinders has been cast on me- debuff never applies, fire zone is never dropped.

Ji-kun
    • You can deterrence through quills, if you deterrence late the quills already in the air will hit you.
    • you can disengage back onto a platform if you get blown off - careful though, unless the ability is about to end you'll likely just get blown back off again!
    • You can cast Aspect of the Cheetah to help with Down Draft (probably best to use cheetah glyph with this)
    • You can soak green goo with deterrence on final tick and u should not get the debuff
    • You can soak overlapping pools and only get one debuff - BUT - you still take double damage
    • If downdraft is causing you real problems, try glyph of black ice under the boss!
    • Also, with glyphed disengage, a jump disengage lifts you high enough that you can make some good distance back during the draft.

Durumu
    • Deterrence will not 100% deflect the Eye Sore damage in the maze but it will reduce the damage taken (as it does anytime you use it)
    • Frost Trap under the spawn locations of the Fogs on Durumu will be triggered even if the add has not yet been revealed and are an easy visual way to mark the location of a Fog for your runners if you see where it spawns.

Primordius

Dark Animus
    • Some people are recommending to let the pet tank your add for you. Others are of the opinion that is better to tank the add yourself to have better control over the positioning and HP of the add.
    • If you set floor markers for the matter swap target on one side of the room, hunters can guarantee themselves as a target by standing on the opposite side - LET THE DEBUFF RUN OUT and if you deterrence you deflect 100% of the damage - super useful if swap lines up with jolt.
    • Distracting shot works on the small anima golems with no DR so you can taunt them if you see one running wild.

Iron Qon
    • You can deterrence and walk through the spears and the lines on the ground (verified for the fire)
    • You can safely disengage over the spears and lines
    • You can also disengage to safety on the tornadoes, but you need to be quick and aim carefully
    • You can Master's call the "slowing" debuff from Iron Qon
    • You can deterrence as the shatter debuff from Dam'Ren runs out and the raid will not take damage from it. Works on normal too.

Twin Consorts
    • Dots stay up on the boss that isn't currently active - so on the pull you can put crows on the 2nd boss before it disappears
    • On Twin Consorts, you can Disengage to dodge Lu'lin's Cosmic Barrage to avoid the damage (and without Xuen's slow aspect being active). The timing is tricky, but it's very doable. Lu'lin won't actually shoot out the barrage till about a second after she finishes the cast. Not sure if it does that on normal, but was definitely doing it on heroic and helped a lot to negate that damage. Confirmation on normal would be helpful.

Lei Shen
    • Deterrence works on pretty much everything - thunderstruck and lightning whip were the 2 I used it most on. You shouldn't deterrence the things you stack for since you're stacking to split the damage
    • if you get Static Shock (shared damage debuff) you can Deterrence it and take no damage whatsoever, and nobody needs to stack on you. Can be pretty useful, especially for the transitions
    • you can solo soak a static shock, there a counting down debuff and just deterrence when it gets to 2/3
    • Binding Shot will stun the ball lightning.
    • General Binding Shot: If you place the very edge of the green target circle on the mob you want to stun, it just stuns them instantly without moving - takes practice....

Ra-den
    Last edited by eschatological; 2013-04-25 at 09:07 PM. Reason: updated as of 4/25/2013

Deleted
    Sick Beans!

Originally posted by Dela2k10, semi-lost in the shuffle of trying to merge threads and then throwing my hands up in frustration and starting a new post (moderation is hard).

(For the new thread)

Horridon:
    Distracting shot works on the Frozen Warlords, no DR, which can help tanks reset their mortal strike debuff.

Ji-Kun:
    If downdraft is causing you real problems, try glyph of black ice under the boss!
    Also, with glyphed disengage, a jump disengage lifts you high enough that you can make some good distance back during the draft.

Dark Animus:
    If you set floor markers for the matter swap target on one side of the room, hunters can guarantee themselves as a target by standing on the opposite side - LET THE DEBUFF RUN OUT and if you deterrence you deflect 100% of the damage - super useful if swap lines up with jolt.

Distracting shot works on the small anima golems with no DR so you can taunt them if you see one running wild.

Lei Shen:
    Binding Shot will stun the ball lightning.

General Binding Shot: If you place the very edge of the green target circle on the mob you want to stun, it just stuns them instantly without moving - takes practice....

On Horridon i usualy go with a monkey so i can get that extra interrupt for the priests and still use binding shot to stun the adds

Deleted
    Tortos HC - Glyph of Liberation does heal your shield, although I'm fairly sure Spirit Bond doesn't.
    Deterrence CD is annoying for the stomps here. I rolled with Posthaste on the kill for extra maneuverability.

Ji-Kun HC - I would recommend rolling with Posthaste, it pretty much guarantees you cannot fall off the platform. Deterrence is really a waste of required DPS, and Quills hits like a girl.
    Last edited by mmoc89dd5782ca; 2013-03-29 at 11:29 PM.

If downdraft is causing you real problems, try glyph of black ice under the boss!
    So, I was trying this on Ji-kun tonight, couldn't get the frost trap to trigger off Ji-kun. Any confirmation this works?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    So, I was trying this on Ji-kun tonight, couldn't get the frost trap to trigger off Ji-kun. Any confirmation this works?
    You likely need it to drop right under his ballsac to trigger. It should work fine in theory, I used to do it on Will tanking the Strengths. I would highly recommend Posthaste though.

Stickied this since it's going to be t15 for quite some time.

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

while you're at it stool, do some spring cleaning on the other stickies.. some of them are soooo outdated it's not even funny.. Doesn't help the visitors much

I am not a pro hunter, but i think these can be useful since we lack any form of a pve guide on mmo champ hunter forum:

Elitist Jerks and their Hunter guides: http://elitistjerks.com/f74/

Icy Veins and their Hunter Guides: Beast Mastery , Marksmanship , Survival

Quote Originally Posted by Carlaena View Post
    Ji-Kun HC - I would recommend rolling with Posthaste, it pretty much guarantees you cannot fall off the platform. Deterrence is really a waste of required DPS, and Quills hits like a girl.
    I used Deterrence frequently, to clear pools. The boss DPS check is a joke.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleti View Post
    I used Deterrence frequently, to clear pools. The boss DPS check is a joke.
    Ahh my post was for 10m. There's no need to clear pools in ours.

I personally use deterrence in H mode to mitigate almost all of the quills damage and CTHC is needed for that.

Question re:
    Horridon

• Binding Shot will stun the adds

When's the best time to actually put down the Binding Shot? After the pair of "big adds" come out, after the Dinomancer drops, etc.? I'm guessing it's not practical to reuse per door due to the CD, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Binding has a 45s CD now, I believe. You can get one down at the beginning on small adds and still ahve it later in the door as well. It's a timing thing, and more about when you need it than using it on CD I'd say. It's real helpful on the 3rd door where it stuns the disease adds, who randomly charge it and trigger it fairly easily.

On Twin Consorts, you can Disengage to dodge Lu'lin's Cosmic Barrage to avoid the damage (and without Xuen's slow aspect being active). The timing is tricky, but it's very doable. Lu'lin won't actually shoot out the barrage till about a second after she finishes the cast. Not sure if it does that on normal, but was definitely doing it on heroic and helped a lot to negate that damage.
    Last edited by Kunazai; 2013-04-02 at 06:20 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    When's the best time to actually put down the Binding Shot? After the pair of "big adds" come out, after the Dinomancer drops, etc.? I'm guessing it's not practical to reuse per door due to the CD, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Thanks
    You can stun only the two lesser type adds from each gate. Imo its not worth it. better go Silencing and interrupt venom volleys, dinomending, etc.

HC Iron Qon - you can detterence as the shatter debuff from Dam'Ren runs out and the raid will not take damage from it. Works on normal too.

Escha - thanks for taking this over! I'm kinda sad that it took 2 tiers of doing this thread and me quitting to finally get it stickied

PS - My guild is looking for a hunter to replace me - 25 man, finished last tier top 50 US - it's the best guild I've ever been in. PM me for more info or look us up on WoW Progress. Forgot to add we do all that only raiding 3 nights a week (12 hrs).
    Last edited by Bellatrex-Saga; 2013-04-02 at 11:38 PM.

If only I wasn't raiding on a laptop. LFR already lags me out like a huge bitch, and I'm stuck in 10 man til I get a new computer.

Also, I've updated the post as of today. This is purely an editorial decision on my part, and up for debate, but I am classifying some tips as "heroic" tips even though they also work in normal because the mechanic is more important in heroic and are harder checks to overcome. A good normal mode raider would still do well to keep up with them though, because every little bit helps.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2013-04-02 at 08:35 PM.

On Tortos: Spirit bond does tick when you have your shield up, but iron hawk is better because you are getting healed from the healers anyway.