Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    a simple tax code is possible but our tax code is needlessly complex and because its needlessly complex so that politicians can do sneaky things inside of it. and they do that all the freaking time.

its happening right now.

and the religious right and the religious both sneak stuff into that elaborate tax code to usually more at the state then at the federal level
    Professor Membrane: anyone that would build a space/time object replacement device is a complete MORON "echo" Moron" "fadeing more" moron
    Invader Zim: GIR the space/time object replacement device is ready

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Marriage is about love not money.
    If two people truly love each other they can do so without getting married.

Marriage is about finances, having a plan for the future.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

i wish all the best for you mr or mrs's arcadia but in america marriage is used unfortantly how i mentioned.

can anyone in this thread give me a clear legal pourpose for marriage in our modern age cause i cant find anything that a simple civil union wouldnt solve. i feel that dissolvin marriage as a institution and just having civil unions for the purposes of applying for certain things (adoption, foster care etc) and showing that your emotionally stable
    Professor Membrane: anyone that would build a space/time object replacement device is a complete MORON "echo" Moron" "fadeing more" moron

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    If two people truly love each other they can do so without getting married.

Marriage is about finances, having a plan for the future.
    That's a pretty harsh judgment. It's basically saying that people who choose to get married are too weak to have a relationship without it. A lot of people hold the symbolism of marriage and the ceremony itself in high regard.

Pretty terrible thing to say.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    random generalizations and personal anecdotes.....what a story. This one time, at band camp, there was a married person.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

Deleted
    Marriage, in my eyes, is a dying tradition and a dangerous gamble.

"I bet half my stuff you won't leave me!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Love is about love. Marriage is about social recognition of that love, and money.

Tzalix

agreed marriage is about finances its why gays are clammoring to get married.

my larger question is.

why does marriage still exist?

ill post this again for those comming in

the rules are complicated in taxes because if taxes were simple they wouldnt be able to screw us with them at every opportunity, there are system that are inherently complex such as how taxes are spent but collection of taxes is needlessly complex in order to conceal the true nature of the collection process. and to hide what they are really using it for.

Our society is that corrupt, its what its being used for its what marriage is being used there isn't another clear legal purpose for it. the clear current purpose of the american marriage system is to create a exclusive tax exempt religious based class with a higher standard of living then those that follow another path and that marriage+religion produces the strongest financial benefits

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zalmatra View Post
    Tzalix

And there it is. Goodnight ladies and mentlegen!

15+ Year Old Account
    Marriage is about whatever people want it to be about. Zalmatra just because in your narrow personal experience marriage has been about money does not mean it is that way for everyone else. For a lot of people the financial benefits are secondary to wanting to make a life long commitment to someone. If you were insightful, you'd realize there are points of view different than your own and that not everyone sees it as a way of saving money.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

To be honest, everything is about taking something that is supposed to be simple and over analyzing it to the point it becomes used to fuel peoples political or religious movements. My belief is that marriage, in its simplest form is about a man and women loving each other and wanting to devote their entire lives to the idea of being together as 'one'. It really all depends on the individual and THEIR meaning of the word, sure marriage is about sharing things and getting tax breaks or extra incentives that make it appealing to people (one could go on and on about the legal aspect of marriage as you did in your original post) but to most it simply means love and wanting to share your lives together.

Religious groups or politicians will break words apart and define every single thing that a word means in society today but that is just a person, or group of people, trying to push a certain agenda. Everything is about people in a position of power and their personal agenda, whether they speak for themselves or for a whole group of people who share the same idea. Sadly things are not as simple as marriage = love because everyone has a different opinion as to what actually constitutes a marriage.

That information is not readily available even on the public internets, real financial knowledge is hard to find and is even less taught publicly.
    Try a quick web search for 'US Tax Code'. You'll find all of it online (formally it's United States Code: Title 26). Previously, you could go to the library. Imagine that! Yes, it's not taught publicly in general education, because there is an enormous amount of it. That's what accountants and tax professionals are for. You know all those rich people that the '99%' whine about 'abusing loopholes'? Know how they do it? They pay professionals to help them figure out the most advantageous application of existing law. All of these 'loopholes' are available for everyone to 'abuse'.

Yes, marriage is accorded special preference in tax codes to allow for the general idea of nuclear family with one partner working to earn income, the other not working in order to raise children. While the 'traditional' family roles are changing with times, tax codes will eventually need to catch up (same sex marriage anyone?), but religion has naught to do with it (except for fighting same sex marriage, but that's a different story).

nope i still hate it uennie i hate everything about it and im gay.

i hate the way its intertwined with religion in our taxes. i hate our cultural perceptions about it. i hate how unless i wear a cross and pretend to be christian(which i have and continue to do as it means easier work and more raises, im not inherently lazy but hey im going to work to bilk more money from my employer not to make some sort of political statement)

i hate the way its intertwined with religion in our taxes. i hate our cultural perceptions about it. i hate how unless i wear a cross and pretend to be christian(which i have and continue to do as it means easier work and more raises, im not inherently lazy but hey im going to work to bilk more money from my employer not to make some sort of political statement)
    Can I buy a tinfoil hat from you?
    I play many games. WoW, Rift, D3, PoE, SC2 I will not criticize your game choice if you don't mine.

10+ Year Old Account

Mkay well since you're gay, and clearly you know all the gays in the world and how they feel about it, I'd like for you to tell my cousin and her girlfriend they don't want to get married for love. And my uncles. And my aunts. And my other cousins. And my friends.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well that wouldnt suprised me if it realy is like that, since the dwan of the marriage, it was used as a way to conect peoples and have a way to influence the population, as far as i understand in the last milenium marriage was a way to forma alliances and mutual conections, in more modern days it is a way for the goverment have a better population control and this is probably why the goverments incentive mariage by tax codes exceptions.

By the way very nice post of yuors, however mariage wasnt made to create a "elite" as you said, it was the people that turned mariage into a selected "elite".

At least that is my opinion.
    “Dois loucos não sabiam que era impossível realizar a tarefa, decidiram então realizá-la.” Mark Twain

ohh no i know there are other points of view. and i fully understand that my own expriences are not the norm i am presenting my own expriences especially growing up what i saw.

My personal expriences have not soured me or made me against religion itself nor its ideas i believe they are important because religion is part of our history our lives. ti pretend it isnt there or that it has no meaning is a lie. because even though i am not christian anymore i have read the bible and im planning on getting through the koran or the torah one of these days.

i enjoy hinduism as well because its one of the few religions that postulates that there own religious belief may be a lie to think about it to reflect.

but i digress.

---------- Post added 2013-03-29 at 10:10 PM ----------

i like the idea of marriage i like the ceramony. i like doing it hell im probably going to do it. but to me its meta spiritual thing the meaning its to be with someone for the rest of your life a commitment not to be taken lightly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uennie View Post
    That's a pretty harsh judgment. It's basically saying that people who choose to get married are too weak to have a relationship without it. A lot of people hold the symbolism of marriage and the ceremony itself in high regard.

Pretty terrible thing to say.
    I've said no such thing. I'm saying the actual practical benefit of getting married is about economy. If you want to romanticize marriage you have the right to do so, and I will defend your right to do so if the question ever arises. What I'm saying is, that from a practical viewpoint, if two people love each other, "married" or "not married" should not make a difference.

Probably for the same reason straight people want to get married. There's something romantic about it.

why does marriage still exist?
    That is something I cannot answer, as I do not understand the whole romantic marriage thing at all. In my opinion(important words) it is a waste of time and money.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

agreed npec and i admire your precision and choice of words quite eloquent.

:3

very delicious accuracy

10+ Year Old Account
    ohh no i know there are other points of view. and i fully understand that my own expriences are not the norm i am presenting my own expriences especially growing up what i saw.

My personal expriences have not soured me or made me against religion itself nor its ideas i believe they are important because religion is part of our history our lives. ti pretend it isnt there or that it has no meaning is a lie. because even though i am not christian anymore i have read the bible and im planning on getting through the koran or the torah one of these days.

i enjoy hinduism as well because its one of the few religions that postulates that there own religious belief may be a lie to think about it to reflect.

but i digress.

---------- Post added 2013-03-29 at 10:10 PM ----------

i like the idea of marriage i like the ceramony. i like doing it hell im probably going to do it. but to me its meta spiritual thing the meaning its to be with someone for the rest of your life a commitment not to be taken lightly.
    You're calling for all marriage to end and how it's corrupt or needs to be reformed, but you're probably going to end up getting married? Also, being gay, wouldn't that mean that you'd WANT gay marriage to be legalized and seen as more than just a financial break?