Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Reason for most mages running nether tempest?

Is there a clear dps increase over the other mage bombs? I am really enjoying frost bomb at the moment and many guides I have seen are saying that there is nothing between them. Could anyone explain/show me some calculations between the three mage bombs.
    Cheers

I use it because it is the most mobile. It also allows you to use multi-dotting as a legitimate tactic while moving in lieu of procs as frost when there are adds.

15+ Year Old Account
    Living bomb caps at 3.

there are also about 15 different threads about the different bombs on this forum alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Malfecto View Post
    I use it because it is the most mobile. It also allows you to use multi-dotting as a legitimate tactic while moving in lieu of procs as frost when there are adds.
    If you only use it for its superior mobility option, what do you do when Fire?
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on their trinkets aswell... A few of them requires a dot to proc, and nether tempest is the only mage dot, besides living bomb. Just use frost bomb if you enjoy it. The dps is almost the same if you fon't have a dot bassed trinket.

I use it for laziness, if i cut a living bomb short then i lose 50% of the dps.
    i just cut my Nether tempest short by like 1/2 a second or so, not optimal but is easier.

Deleted
    QoL issues for the most part, frostbomb requires a cast time but NT can be cast while moving, and most of the time I forgot to refresh/cast FB because its not like LB or NT.
    Also I think NT may be superior on some fight because the adds are not packed up (horridon for example if your tank cannot pack them up that well), well, I saw a dps increase when using NT over FB and liked it a lot more, so theres not reason to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moby View Post
    Depends on their trinkets aswell... A few of them requires a dot to proc, and nether tempest is the only mage dot, besides living bomb. Just use frost bomb if you enjoy it. The dps is almost the same if you fon't have a dot bassed trinket.
    It's actually dependent a bit on your specc. Frost Bomb won't do as well with Fire when you keep getting proccs on HS and whatnot, and especially when setting up a Combustion during Heroism/High Haste periods.

It works much better with Frost (and even moreso, Arcane, because of its Mastery), but except when trying to setup combustions, it's fine for Fire.

Again, all of the above info is, like you said, assuming you don't have LotC or BoH. If you have either, Frost Bomb is unusable (unless you're Fire, but you won't get as many proccs w/o NT)

@OP: Unless you're using Breath of Hydra or Light of the Cosmos, or you're having trouble with Combustions/Heroism periods, feel FREE to use Frost Bomb, especially if there's large packs of mobs (e.g., Bats on Tortos), if you enjoy it that much. I personally dislike the cast time, so I don't use it unless I really need to or it's such a huge DPS increase (Tortos and Dungeons/CMs)
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2013-03-30 at 11:01 AM.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

15+ Year Old Account
    And here I thought it was because NT scaled better with Haste than the other two bombs.
    BfA Beta Time

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Swizzle-I View Post
    And here I thought it was because NT scaled better with Haste than the other two bombs.
    Pretty much this. Also, Multidotting.

Deleted
    Surprisingly the difference on a single target boss is very low, unless you have really lots of haste. And Frost is Haste heavy, but Intel > Haste so I guess there's not that much people over 7000/8000k (unless very well geared, or use LotC)

That's questionable with Frost Bomb, but the problem with Haste with FB is that it also makes you use less of your normal rotation, and just use more Bombs, which isn't as big of an issue with Frost because that's primarily Frostbolt (Which also lessens FoFs, but giving you more BFs and FBs).

In addition to DoT trinkets...

NT's just flat out better than LB, but with FB, some variables require some smarts and calculating.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    If you only use it for its superior mobility option, what do you do when Fire?
    That's easy, I'm not playing fire. I would probably still use NT. I was just pointing out a reason, other than raw numbers, that a particular bomb might be better to use. Sure, you can use LB too, but I use NT.

15+ Year Old Account
    Especially at our haste levels, it doesn't scale that much better then the other bombs..

With the instant "40% buff to bombs", just about every other mage believes they are a warlock and do nothing but multi-dot, thinking it is a dps increase D:

Quote Originally Posted by spaace View Post
    Especially at our haste levels, it doesn't scale that much better then the other bombs..

With the instant "40% buff to bombs", just about every other mage believes they are a warlock and do nothing but multi-dot, thinking it is a dps increase D:
    But.... doting every thing that wont die halfway is a dps increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheridanjohn View Post
    I use it for laziness, if i cut a living bomb short then i lose 50% of the dps.
    i just cut my Nether tempest short by like 1/2 a second or so, not optimal but is easier.
    Doesnt it work now, that if you clip lb during the last couple of seconds it still blows up to its not a dps loss to clip it at the very end, while if you clip Nt, you lose a tick of the dot and it is a dps loss. Least thats how I thought it worked at the start of mop.

Quote Originally Posted by Eihwaz View Post
    Surprisingly the difference on a single target boss is very low, unless you have really lots of haste. And Frost is Haste heavy, but Intel > Haste so I guess there's not that much people over 7000/8000k (unless very well geared, or use LotC)
    11,100 haste w/ Frost Armor @ 515l ilvl...very very attainable early

Quote Originally Posted by Mastamage View Post
    How does one get haste rating from Frost Armor?

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastamage View Post
    I had Haste/Crit everywhere on my gear and wasnt near 9K at all. Either you are gemming full haste or you have trinkets with passive haste.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by aggixx View Post
    How does one get haste rating from Frost Armor?
    I haven't used it for a while but I think I remember Frost Armour just giving you 7% haste (but as rating instead of tacking 7% on). I know what I mean in my head -- I'm just awful at explaining things, hopefully you get me.