Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Reason for most mages running nether tempest?

    Is there a clear dps increase over the other mage bombs? I am really enjoying frost bomb at the moment and many guides I have seen are saying that there is nothing between them. Could anyone explain/show me some calculations between the three mage bombs.
    Cheers

  2. #2
    I use it because it is the most mobile. It also allows you to use multi-dotting as a legitimate tactic while moving in lieu of procs as frost when there are adds.

  3. #3
    Bloodsail Admiral spaace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,112
    Living bomb caps at 3.


    there are also about 15 different threads about the different bombs on this forum alone.
    3DS FC: 5172 - 0403 - 7277
    Pokemon Y Safari Steel Type (Feroseed, Forretess, Brozong)
    Bravely Default
    White Mage|XIV Stream

  4. #4
    Elemental Lord Polarthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    (USA) Florida
    Posts
    8,038
    Quote Originally Posted by Malfecto View Post
    I use it because it is the most mobile. It also allows you to use multi-dotting as a legitimate tactic while moving in lieu of procs as frost when there are adds.
    If you only use it for its superior mobility option, what do you do when Fire?

    Progression pre-nerfed: [T17] 6/7H; 0/10N

  5. #5
    Keyboard Turner Moby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    7
    Depends on their trinkets aswell... A few of them requires a dot to proc, and nether tempest is the only mage dot, besides living bomb. Just use frost bomb if you enjoy it. The dps is almost the same if you fon't have a dot bassed trinket.

  6. #6
    I use it for laziness, if i cut a living bomb short then i lose 50% of the dps.
    i just cut my Nether tempest short by like 1/2 a second or so, not optimal but is easier.

  7. #7
    QoL issues for the most part, frostbomb requires a cast time but NT can be cast while moving, and most of the time I forgot to refresh/cast FB because its not like LB or NT.
    Also I think NT may be superior on some fight because the adds are not packed up (horridon for example if your tank cannot pack them up that well), well, I saw a dps increase when using NT over FB and liked it a lot more, so theres not reason to change it.
    Made by mountandpetlover, big thanks !

  8. #8
    Elemental Lord Polarthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    (USA) Florida
    Posts
    8,038
    Quote Originally Posted by Moby View Post
    Depends on their trinkets aswell... A few of them requires a dot to proc, and nether tempest is the only mage dot, besides living bomb. Just use frost bomb if you enjoy it. The dps is almost the same if you fon't have a dot bassed trinket.
    It's actually dependent a bit on your specc. Frost Bomb won't do as well with Fire when you keep getting proccs on HS and whatnot, and especially when setting up a Combustion during Heroism/High Haste periods.

    It works much better with Frost (and even moreso, Arcane, because of its Mastery), but except when trying to setup combustions, it's fine for Fire.

    Again, all of the above info is, like you said, assuming you don't have LotC or BoH. If you have either, Frost Bomb is unusable (unless you're Fire, but you won't get as many proccs w/o NT)


    @OP: Unless you're using Breath of Hydra or Light of the Cosmos, or you're having trouble with Combustions/Heroism periods, feel FREE to use Frost Bomb, especially if there's large packs of mobs (e.g., Bats on Tortos), if you enjoy it that much. I personally dislike the cast time, so I don't use it unless I really need to or it's such a huge DPS increase (Tortos and Dungeons/CMs)
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2013-03-30 at 11:01 AM.

    Progression pre-nerfed: [T17] 6/7H; 0/10N

  9. #9
    And here I thought it was because NT scaled better with Haste than the other two bombs.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Swizzle-I View Post
    And here I thought it was because NT scaled better with Haste than the other two bombs.
    Pretty much this. Also, Multidotting.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Swizzle-I View Post
    And here I thought it was because NT scaled better with Haste than the other two bombs.
    Surprisingly the difference on a single target boss is very low, unless you have really lots of haste. And Frost is Haste heavy, but Intel > Haste so I guess there's not that much people over 7000/8000k (unless very well geared, or use LotC)
    Made by mountandpetlover, big thanks !

  12. #12
    Elemental Lord Polarthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    (USA) Florida
    Posts
    8,038
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Swizzle-I View Post
    And here I thought it was because NT scaled better with Haste than the other two bombs.
    That's questionable with Frost Bomb, but the problem with Haste with FB is that it also makes you use less of your normal rotation, and just use more Bombs, which isn't as big of an issue with Frost because that's primarily Frostbolt (Which also lessens FoFs, but giving you more BFs and FBs).

    In addition to DoT trinkets...

    NT's just flat out better than LB, but with FB, some variables require some smarts and calculating.

    Progression pre-nerfed: [T17] 6/7H; 0/10N

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    If you only use it for its superior mobility option, what do you do when Fire?
    That's easy, I'm not playing fire. I would probably still use NT. I was just pointing out a reason, other than raw numbers, that a particular bomb might be better to use. Sure, you can use LB too, but I use NT.

  14. #14
    Bloodsail Admiral spaace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,112
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Swizzle-I View Post
    And here I thought it was because NT scaled better with Haste than the other two bombs.
    Especially at our haste levels, it doesn't scale that much better then the other bombs..

    With the instant "40% buff to bombs", just about every other mage believes they are a warlock and do nothing but multi-dot, thinking it is a dps increase D:
    3DS FC: 5172 - 0403 - 7277
    Pokemon Y Safari Steel Type (Feroseed, Forretess, Brozong)
    Bravely Default
    White Mage|XIV Stream

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by spaace View Post
    Especially at our haste levels, it doesn't scale that much better then the other bombs..

    With the instant "40% buff to bombs", just about every other mage believes they are a warlock and do nothing but multi-dot, thinking it is a dps increase D:
    But.... doting every thing that wont die halfway is a dps increase.

  16. #16
    High Overlord 2s2p's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridanjohn View Post
    I use it for laziness, if i cut a living bomb short then i lose 50% of the dps.
    i just cut my Nether tempest short by like 1/2 a second or so, not optimal but is easier.
    Doesnt it work now, that if you clip lb during the last couple of seconds it still blows up to its not a dps loss to clip it at the very end, while if you clip Nt, you lose a tick of the dot and it is a dps loss. Least thats how I thought it worked at the start of mop.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Eihwaz View Post
    Surprisingly the difference on a single target boss is very low, unless you have really lots of haste. And Frost is Haste heavy, but Intel > Haste so I guess there's not that much people over 7000/8000k (unless very well geared, or use LotC)
    11,100 haste w/ Frost Armor @ 515l ilvl...very very attainable early

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastamage View Post
    11,100 haste w/ Frost Armor @ 515l ilvl...very very attainable early
    How does one get haste rating from Frost Armor?

    Feral Druid Maintainer of SimC // Moderator at Fluid Druid forums
    Pawkets' Armory
    // Pawkets' Pro Raiders // <Forgotten Aspects>

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastamage View Post
    11,100 haste w/ Frost Armor @ 515l ilvl...very very attainable early
    I had Haste/Crit everywhere on my gear and wasnt near 9K at all. Either you are gemming full haste or you have trinkets with passive haste.
    Made by mountandpetlover, big thanks !

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by aggixx View Post
    How does one get haste rating from Frost Armor?
    I haven't used it for a while but I think I remember Frost Armour just giving you 7% haste (but as rating instead of tacking 7% on). I know what I mean in my head -- I'm just awful at explaining things, hopefully you get me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •