Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

I only sleep.. (Y'Shaarj)

I only now noticed (slow me) that, aside from Y'Shaarj having a pretty scary voice in comparison to C'thun's and Yogg-Saron's voices, there's also this was there to surprise me:

"Mh.. I only sleep...".

Now I know that Blizzard said Y'shaarj is 100% keel-keel X_X-dead, but think about it.

They were asked a question about a character that was pretty new back then and there was only one thing they could say to keep it secret. Outright admitting they were going to utilize Y'shaarj would kill that secret off, and saying "We can't tell you yet" would be indirectly confirming it for people with a higher amount of brain cells than the average ant. (No offence, but "we can't tell you yet" is basically outright confirming it)

Thus, they could've gone with the safest way of answering that question and keeping their idea hush-hush.

I'm not saying this has to be the case, but just that it doesn't seem so strange to begin with. The quote "I only sleep.." only supports that idea. I mean.. he's supposed to be dead. 100% dead. How is his echo talking to us -- why is his heart still alive in a cage of sorts, and why does he talk about only sleeping?

After all, the Old God-type of sleep is what happens when their mortal husks are slain and they have to recover.

Your thoughts?

Thanks for the awesome sig, Lady Amuno.

Bloodsail Admiral Colonel Sandor's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I believe only his body is "dead as dead". He cant rise up and take over. But I think he means his essence is always alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rioichi View Post
    I believe only his body is "dead as dead". He cant rise up and take over. But I think he means his essence is always alive.

That's the thing though. With Old Gods, as long as their essence is there - lingering on, they can regain their body over time by their "sleep". Their mortal husks can be destroyed over a thousand times and all they'd need is some time to recover.

Then again, this could be old lore. Blizzard seems to be retconning a lot lately, and especially Old God stuff -- whatwith the "there are a lot of Old Gods" now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogg-Saron, God of Death View Post
    That's the thing though. With Old Gods, as long as their essence is there - lingering on, they can regain their body over time by their "sleep". Their mortal husks can be destroyed over a thousand times and all they'd need is some time to recover.

Then again, this could be old lore. Blizzard seems to be retconning a lot lately, and especially Old God stuff -- whatwith the "there are a lot of Old Gods" now.
    I believe they went overboard with "Titans erased him from history". But I believe they ment they found a way to stop him from ever coming back. And we just messed it up.

10+ Year Old Account
    i wish i had a voice like that...in fact is there any sound morpher things so when i speak in the microphone i sound evil like that? 0o

The only thing about old gods is what we are told by others though Lorewise and such. We don't know how their 'biology' works. Its possible what we thought we knew about the old gods weren't true at all.

Or that not all old gods are the same 'species'. They could be a collective of powerful parasitic creatures that banded together for a common goal.

Well, consider me excited.

They change lore all the time, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's not dead dead, much like other Old Gods. Even C'thun wasn't totally taken care of, and we thought for sure he was.

10+ Year Old Account
    This kind of fills in some theories I once had about them. I've debated several times about how you can kill an old god, which lead to people saying no you can't. Compare and compare, what this new thing with Y'shaarj seems to validate is this. Well you can kill the physical body of an old god, which we have seen, there essence is so powerful they define death itself.

This makes for some curious development, after all, we all came, faught and killed C'thun and Yogg Saron, but if Y'shaarj suggests his essence still lingers and can not be killed, does this mean the other two old gods essence lingers on the same.

More interesting to me are the lines "Your agony....rejuvenates me." and "Your hatred strengthens me!"

The intent here is obvious. And frankly it would be silly of them to give this guy such threatening voice-acting (or any voice-acting, honestly) and then fail to do anything with it.

He -could- be bluffing; as one of his Sha is Fear and making threats could simply be an effort to instill that fear. But honestly we've been building up the Sha plotline for long enough that I'm going to be super disappointed if Y'Shaarj doesn't make a direct appearance at some point.

As for the "He's dead" issue -- that doesn't seem to stop the Klaxxi from warning you about him. They clearly expect a return and so should we.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PuppetShowJustice View Post
    More interesting to me are the lines "Your agony....rejuvenates me." and "Your hatred strengthens me!"

The intent here is obvious. And frankly it would be silly of them to give this guy such threatening voice-acting (or any voice-acting, honestly) and then fail to do anything with it.

He -could- be bluffing; as one of his Sha is Fear and making threats could simply be an effort to instill that fear. But honestly we've been building up the Sha plotline for long enough that I'm going to be super disappointed if Y'Shaarj doesn't make a direct appearance at some point.

As for the "He's dead" issue -- that doesn't seem to stop the Klaxxi from warning you about him. They clearly expect a return and so should we.
    Never forget that the plot of this expac is war, and by this I dont mean Alliance vs Horde bisness, I mean we are FEEDING this guy, and more importanty if infact Garrosh gets his hands on His heart HES FEEDING Y'shaarj HARD.

THIS is the main plot of this expac, since is what announced way back in Blizzcon, we aren't at war with each other (well we are in theory) we're at war with ourselves. And Y'shaarj is loveing it.
    Last edited by Shampro; 2013-03-30 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    This kind of fills in some theories I once had about them. I've debated several times about how you can kill an old god, which lead to people saying no you can't. Compare and compare, what this new thing with Y'shaarj seems to validate is this. Well you can kill the physical body of an old god, which we have seen, there essence is so powerful they define death itself.

This makes for some curious development, after all, we all came, faught and killed C'thun and Yogg Saron, but if Y'shaarj suggests his essence still lingers and can not be killed, does this mean the other two old gods essence lingers on the same.

Actually, C'thun and Yogg Saron are still alive for sure. We killed their mortal husks and even the dragons know that. We basically just set them back a bit. The change with Y'shaarj was though, that Blizzard said he was really fully killed by Titans, or at least close to that -- maybe suppressed.

Apparently we might have screwed that up.

I don't know though. It still seems like Blizzard just said "he's dead" to avoid having to confirm that he's still there and that they're planning to use him for later.

That said, I'm always very excited when we're close to a possible Old God appearance. I always wonder what they might look like. So far, I've been let down twice. I mean, I like Old Gods and all -- as you might be able to see (rofl), but their physical appearance has never really been "eldritch abomination"/ "amorphous mass of horror" -like, as I had hoped. Rather, just a blob of flesh with teeth plastered over it, or a blob of flesh with eyes and teeth all over it.

Old Gods were always supposed to look imposing and horrifying, but their models never really showed that. Maybe now, they can make one of the really scary looking Old Gods I think most have been wanting.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    OP, remember the dungeon in Cataclysm where you fight the 3 shades of different important figures, such as Jaina, Sylvanus, Baine, and others? For Y'shaarj, we get to fight a shade of him, not him actually.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't the titans actually said that "removing" and old god would destroy Azeroth? They are parasitic in nature, and removing them would cause for both them and host. Maybe that means that an old god can never be truly "killed" at least their essence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amonra View Post
    Didn't the titans actually said that "removing" and old god would destroy Azeroth? They are parasitic in nature, and removing them would cause for both them and host. Maybe that means that an old god can never be truly "killed" at least their essence.
    Well in theory ''killing'' an Old God would cause more trouble, see Y'shaarj.

That voice will haunt me forever. What a chilling voice. Nice work Blizz

These are interesting developments...I cant wait to seeing how it all plays out xD

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rioichi View Post
    I believe they went overboard with "Titans erased him from history". But I believe they ment they found a way to stop him from ever coming back. And we just messed it up.
    Yea it could've had to do with his heart being imprisoned in the vale. But the goblins have dug it up and released him so he can regain his power

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    "Dead as dead" doesn't mean as much when a large vocal portion of the community wants to see and fight Y'shaarj. I would rather have him as a raid boss than a scenario encounter though... ;.(

it's always been my understanding that we can't fully kill ANY old god (this going on since vanilla), and it was that way until we heard about Y'shaarj's "death". the fact that they mention the titans went and "killed" him but his essence or influence, soul i guess still remained could mean a few things. 1, the titans assumed he was dead, or at least dead enough to not fully come back (this is where I'm scratching my head at Blizz here). or 2, that they wanted to kill him first and foremost, only to find out afterwards, oops thats not good. which means that old gods like yoggy, C"thun, Y'shaarj are in a different league as compared to the "many old gods that the titans killed". (why they wouldn't just stick to the hand full we assumed there were before is again, making me wonder WTF blizz is thinking)
    Last edited by Sky High; 2013-03-31 at 12:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    does this mean the other two old gods essence lingers on the same.

"taking refuge within the ruined city of Ahn'Qiraj, Cho'gall's body became warped by the power of the Old God C'Thun."

"A mere toy left by The Usurper" is almost surely talking about the object that holds his heart. And the request of "Release me" is telling. He isn't even hiding the fact that he's a looming threat at this point.

All this stuff with the Darkspear and Garrosh. The Alliance versus the Horde. It's going to boil over and Y'shaarj knows it. Heck, his followers are the Mantid -- a race that throws the majority of their lives away fighting the Pandaren (Violence). Even the Klaxxi regard the player character with grave xenophobia. This stance of thinking themselves racially superior could be thought of as either Pride or Hate; both of which are Sha aspects.

The mantid are easily the most primal, violent race on Pandaria. It's no coincidence that their God is fed by the suffering that they inflict on themselves and others. They're doing all they can to bring Yshaarj back.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice