1. #1

    New to MoP - How to gear in 5.2 without knowing new MoP mechanics!?

    I saw a guide on the forums telling people how to get quickly and it's certainly useful. However, it's geared towards players who already know what's going on. It isn't helpful when you don't know what all this means.

    I see all kinds of things referring to tokens and doing dailies and such and I have no clue what any of this is or how to get any of it. Where are these daily hubs I should be going to? How does gear work from these world boss mobs (the guide I mentions seems to imply they are not master-looted - are they like LFR?). That's the extent of my knowledge too - what else am I missing here to help me gear?

    I am completely lost. I'm about to hit 90 and want to join my guild in raiding ASAP but they're very casual and are not usually online except for raid times so I get no help there. What do I do!?

  2. #2
    Valor gear is double gated by needing Valor and reputation levels. Rep can be gained by dailies and also your first Heroic of the day and first Scenario. Also by planting quests at the Tillers farm at Halfhill Market in the Valley of the Four Winds. There are multiple daily hubs, the main ones being Golden Lotus, August Celestials, Klaxxi, and the Shado-pan. Another rep was added in 5.1 in Krasarang Wilds, faction-specific. Dominance Offensive for Horde, dunno what the Alliance one is. 5.2 added the Sunreavers for Horde, again don't know what Alliance one is, both on the Isle of Thunder, northwest of Townlong, portal to it near Shado-pan. Also of note, Shado-pan and August Celestials are gated behind getting to Revered with Golden Lotus.

    When you hit 90, do Heroics and get 463s. Do dailies and get Valor, buy some 496 gear. Also get to whatever ilvl you need for Mogushan Vaults LFR (460?) and queue for that. At 470, queue for Heart of Fear and Terrace of Endless Spring LFR. At 480, queue for Throne of Thunder LFR.

    Daily quests reward you with Lesser Charms, get 90 and turn them in for a weekly quest that gives you 3 Mogu Runes of Fate, which can be used for an extra roll when you kill a boss in Throne of Thunder. Charms for extra rolls on T14 bosses (Vaults, Heart of Fear, Terrace) can be gotten on the Isle of Thunder through a variety of means.

    Most importantly, when you hit 90 and go to the Shrine of Two Moons in the Vale, you'll automatically get quests pointing you to most of these things. Course if your raid group only logs on for raid and has no interest in helping a fellow guildie find his way through MoP, I'd be a little worried about that to be honest.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by MordorFires View Post
    Valor gear is double gated by needing Valor and reputation levels. Rep can be gained by dailies and also your first Heroic of the day and first Scenario. Also by planting quests at the Tillers farm at Halfhill Market in the Valley of the Four Winds. There are multiple daily hubs, the main ones being Golden Lotus, August Celestials, Klaxxi, and the Shado-pan. Another rep was added in 5.1 in Krasarang Wilds, faction-specific. Dominance Offensive for Horde, dunno what the Alliance one is. 5.2 added the Sunreavers for Horde, again don't know what Alliance one is, both on the Isle of Thunder, northwest of Townlong, portal to it near Shado-pan. Also of note, Shado-pan and August Celestials are gated behind getting to Revered with Golden Lotus.

    When you hit 90, do Heroics and get 463s. Do dailies and get Valor, buy some 496 gear. Also get to whatever ilvl you need for Mogushan Vaults LFR (460?) and queue for that. At 470, queue for Heart of Fear and Terrace of Endless Spring LFR. At 480, queue for Throne of Thunder LFR.

    Daily quests reward you with Lesser Charms, get 90 and turn them in for a weekly quest that gives you 3 Mogu Runes of Fate, which can be used for an extra roll when you kill a boss in Throne of Thunder. Charms for extra rolls on T14 bosses (Vaults, Heart of Fear, Terrace) can be gotten on the Isle of Thunder through a variety of means.

    Most importantly, when you hit 90 and go to the Shrine of Two Moons in the Vale, you'll automatically get quests pointing you to most of these things. Course if your raid group only logs on for raid and has no interest in helping a fellow guildie find his way through MoP, I'd be a little worried about that to be honest.

    so instead of heroics + lfr -> raids in the past, we now have to heroics -> dailies for valor + lfr -> raids ??

    i remember heroics were changed so that they only mean a lvl 90 version of a lower lvl dungeon.

    i am playing the mop trial now.

  4. #4
    No, you don't really NEED Valor gear. It's nice, but if you don't want to do the dailies you can do fine without it. You can get 463 blues from heroics and scenarios (love scenarios).460 gets you into MSV LFR, etc (see above for the ilevels for each). There's crafted gear out there too.

    Now, if you WANT VP gear, then yes, you need to daily. Don't forget, though, the neck from Shado Pan Assault ay Neutral. As long as you have the VP you can get a 522 piece right off which will be a huge upgrade over anything you have when you ding.

    What MoP does not have are 5 mans that award raid level gear as existed in Cata so catching up will take a little time.

  5. #5
    Yeah, I guess I should've pointed that out. Rep Valor gear is not mandatory for raiding. But the 5.0 Valor gear, from Klaxxi/Golden Lotus/Celestials/Shado-pan, had its costs reduced, and there are multiple ways to earn Valor in a day. It wouldn't hurt to get rep up to Friendly with Klaxxi and Lotus for instance, run LFR for a week or two, then see what pieces you still need to fill in, since LFR drops are subject to RNG.

    Blizzard has foregone the Cataclysm model of introducing new dungeons with a new raid and providing instant catch up. To get to 480 for Throne of Thunder LFR, you need to either get Valor gear or tier 14 gear (Vaults, Heart, Terrace). This can be done by running LFR, but it'd also go faster if you could find a group running Normal modes of these places. Looking through the boss fights quickly is as easy as paging through the Dungeon Journal for a bit. They've been nerfed too so it shouldn't be too difficult. They can be done cross-realm too.

    Also, there are some crafted 476/496/522 gear pieces, you should check out the Auction House. I'd advise against the 522s though, they're probably way overpriced since the 5.2 crafting mats are still very rare. The 476 and 496 pieces should be relatively cheap though.

  6. #6
    The quickest way to gear up right now really is the 476 honor gear. Since MoP the itemlevel on PvP gear has been updated to reflect the PvE stats on the item, while PvP stats are just a bonus, therefore it is equivalent to 476 pve gear.

    By capping honor you'll probably also get enough points to get one or two conquest pieces, which are itemlevel 493.

    From there on, you should be able to access all 5.0 LFRs, which in a week or two tops, given the increased drop rate, will bring you to the 480 needed for throne of thunder LFR.

    Meanwhile, you should really do dailies. Don't waste the valor you get on buying 489-496 gear just yet, just buy the 522 gear from Shado-Pan assault (which is in the new daily hub, Isle of Thunder, and has items all the way up from Neutral to Exalted)

    By doing this I got my monk from 0 mistweaver gear to 482 in about 5 days.

    Yeah, pretty ridicolous that to gear for PvE, doing PvP is the quickest thing to get started.
    Last edited by Fluorescent0; 2013-03-31 at 09:54 AM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post
    Yeah, pretty ridicolous that to gear for PvE, doing PvP is the quickest thing to get started.
    I'm not entirely sure how quick honor points accumulate, but doing a dungeon will give you 360-600 justice points that you can easily convert to honor and those only take like 10-15 minutes to complete, on top of still being able to get some 463 gear (mainly trinkets would be nice).

  8. #8
    Moderator Nobleshield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Posts
    4,979
    Don't want to start a new thread about this.. I left before 5.1 and was something like Revered with Klaxxi, I think almost revered with Golden Lotus and hadn't gotten to start Shado-pan or Celestials yet because of the rep gating w/Lotus. Should I still be working on those dailies to get Shado/Celestials rep? What about the 5.1 dailies/factions? The 5.2 factions I already know I should be working on, but it's the others that I'm not sure if they are still helpful or not.
    NOBLESHIELD
    <Meliora> of Turalyon-US
    Raids & Dungeons Moderator | Mod Voice


  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    Don't want to start a new thread about this.. I left before 5.1 and was something like Revered with Klaxxi, I think almost revered with Golden Lotus and hadn't gotten to start Shado-pan or Celestials yet because of the rep gating w/Lotus. Should I still be working on those dailies to get Shado/Celestials rep? What about the 5.1 dailies/factions? The 5.2 factions I already know I should be working on, but it's the others that I'm not sure if they are still helpful or not.
    The 489 and 496 gear has been reduced in valor cost but they still not really worth it compared to 522 gear imo. I wouldn't bother too much unless you could still use a 489 ring/necklace, in which case you should finish up klaxxi or golden lotus and do the endquest at exalted and you'll get one without spending valor.

  10. #10
    LFR is your friend. The quickest way to gear by far, is to game your ilvl, get into LFR and farm the shit out of it.

    Basically, hit 90. Do all the Klaxxi quests (dread wastes) and start the Golden Lotus line (vale). Keep doing their dailies until you get exalted with Klaxxi (489 ring) and Revered with Lotus (access to cheap Valor ring) if you want, go for exalted with Lotus too for the 489 neck.

    Now, do a few heroics/scenarios to cap valor for the week and need on everything you possibly can. Never DE anything. Remember, gear in your bags (whether you can equip it or not) counts towards your ilvl. Also check the AH for cheap BoE epics. You can leave them in your bags unused and just have them to inflate your ilvl. Then when you have enough gear just sell them again for minimal loss. Similarly, you can buy the VP ring for like 600, use it to get into an LFR and then sell it back to the vendor. No need to waste VP on 489 when you can buy 522s from the new quartermaster.

    The new guy is on the isle of thunder and you need rep with his faction to buy stuff. LUckily thats easy, it just means doing the new LFR which you will anyway as soon as you hit 480ivl, just make sure you dont waste VPs before then. Also on this new isle are rare mobs which people are usually hunting. Kill one, get the epic key it drops. That unlocks a solo scenario where you open chests for coins of good fortune. They allow you to get an extra chance at loot in the LFR runs. Get them, use them. Do not do LFR until you have those coins.

    Also, don't use justice points on justice gear, its 458, use them on PvP gear which is 476, much better.

    EDIT: You didn't mention your class/spec. When doing LFR, just queue as as many roles as you can for a faster queue time. The loot it gives you is related to your sapec in the fight not the role it selects for you. So as long as you play in the spec you want gear for, you can queue as whatever you like.
    Last edited by CptAwesome; 2013-03-31 at 12:55 PM.
    EX - 14/14 HC - Ravencrest EU
    www.ex-gaming.org

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by CptAwesome View Post
    EDIT: You didn't mention your class/spec. When doing LFR, just queue as as many roles as you can for a faster queue time. The loot it gives you is related to your sapec in the fight not the role it selects for you. So as long as you play in the spec you want gear for, you can queue as whatever you like.
    Or do the community and yourself a favor and don't listen to this "advice".

  12. #12
    Go for honor gear. Also, convert your JP to honor (at the JP trade goods vendor in SW/Org); it's the best way to use it.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler
    I hate these casual Fridays ruining it for real Fridays.

  13. #13
    Moderator Nobleshield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Posts
    4,979
    Shado-pan Assault does offer a neck for VP immediately, so you can save your initial VP for that (it's what I plan to do). I will have to look into the PVP gear for Honor as a supplement, but with MS Prot it probably won't be of much use although it could definitely help out my offspec
    NOBLESHIELD
    <Meliora> of Turalyon-US
    Raids & Dungeons Moderator | Mod Voice


  14. #14
    Doing the solo scenario and killing rares in Isle of Thunder will get you more elder charms than you can carry. Then just farm LFR and use your elder charms until you got everything from there and you can queue for ToT LFR. There are also much more pugs for T14 raids now that most guilds don't do them anymore.

    No point grinding rep with any faction because their gear is outdated. Why would anyone do weeks of dailies for a 489 neck when you can buy a 522?

    There is also 476 PvP gear but I don't recommend using it because most people think that anyone using PvP gear in PvE is a scrub.

  15. #15
    The only rep I would work on now is Kirin Tor/Sunreaver on Isle of Thunder, or Shieldwall/Whatever down in Krasarang if you really feel like it, since they also offer 496s there. You can also buy Blood Spirits from the AH for the crafted 496 pieces for pretty cheap these days.

    Doing Isle of Thunder as soon as you can handle the mobs there at L90 is also a good idea, since getting the epic Lei Shen key from Rares on the island etc. can reward like 15 Elder Charms if you're really good. And Elder Charms are what you use to roll on gear from the Tier14 raids. So you could have like a Charm for every boss almost.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by CptAwesome View Post
    LFR is your friend. The quickest way to gear by far, is to game your ilvl, get into LFR and farm the shit out of it.
    It all depends on your luck. Even with the improved drop rates and charms ive been running LFR on my druid for weeks and only have two pieces. i just get gold or duplicates of what i already have.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaru View Post
    I saw a guide on the forums telling people how to get quickly and it's certainly useful. However, it's geared towards players who already know what's going on. It isn't helpful when you don't know what all this means.

    I see all kinds of things referring to tokens and doing dailies and such and I have no clue what any of this is or how to get any of it. Where are these daily hubs I should be going to? How does gear work from these world boss mobs (the guide I mentions seems to imply they are not master-looted - are they like LFR?). That's the extent of my knowledge too - what else am I missing here to help me gear?

    I am completely lost. I'm about to hit 90 and want to join my guild in raiding ASAP but they're very casual and are not usually online except for raid times so I get no help there. What do I do!?
    Okay. When you hit 90 you will want to start gearing - run heroics and scenarios for VP and JP and drops (and rep, choose a faction to champion for some bonus rep). Then once your ilvl is high enough run LFR - you'll see most of the mechanics for each boss just nerfed down to pug level. Not perfect but still really good practice - if you've seen a fight on LFR and read strats to see what's different in NM you're set. Also if you feel confident you can join NM raids from the previous tier to gear up a bit faster - either look in Trade or go on Openraid (website).

    Don't worry about daily hubs there are breadcrumb quests in the ground floor of your city in Vale to take you to the ones that are available. You might also want to go to Isle of Thunder for the latest daily hub - there's a starter quest in the city as well. Just be careful you don't overload yourself with dailies because there are a lot for a new 90. Choose the ones you want first and concentrate on 1-2 factions at a time. It'll be a while before you have enough VP to buy anything anyway. Also, you only need Revered for VP gear, and JP gear can be bought at friendly I think? Each faction has its own quartermaster however there's NPCs at Nizuao Temple in Townlong Steppes (island to the west) which sells the gear from all rep factions for convenience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

  18. #18
    do dailies on the isle all week. get 10+ elder coins. run the t14 LFRs and use a coin on as many bosses as possible. you will walk away with 5-10 pieces a week. the drop rate has been massively buffed.

    save up all your valor and spend it on shadopan assault gear only.

    if you have some gold. get the 496 chest and gloves made.


    you're gonna have to put in some time until you're geared enough for tot normal (490 should be enough). if you don't want to do dailies or LFR, i don't know where you're gonna get anything from, short of getting completely carried through ToT.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •