Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ret paladin or just switch class ?

ok here is the thing i always been a holy paladin since BC and when dual came up i was holy/prot and everything worked great till MoP , those dailies are killing , dont get me wrong i dont mind doing the questing and stuff i kinda enjoy it , the thing is that as prot or holy my dmg is low even as prot i AOe pull and burn them but it takes time you know . so i had to try out Ret , with just blue heroics i felt like a wet noodle when hiting something damn it felt bad! but then i started buying some valor gear and some LFR and looks like its getting better , im pulling more dmg but here is my "problem" , Ret: do they really scale that big with gear ? and of course i dont see big numbers , i think i was used to see big numbers playing a dk , so what do you think ?. should i try to get more gear o just try another class that gives big numbers?
    i know its seems dumb but its a playstyle i like , if i want to dps something i like to see big numbers and not having to wait for Wings CD to be able to see them.

TL;DR

Stay paladin and get more gear to pull more dmg or try out another class that doesn't need a lot of gear upgrade to pull more dmg ? talking dailies wise.

Thanks in Advance
    armory
    http://us.battle.net/wow/es/characte...aintusk/simple
    Last edited by shynoz; 2013-03-31 at 07:59 AM. Reason: to add armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, Ret isn't looking too good right now, and you don't seem to have too much time invested in yours. I would reroll. Not like some of us where it's either continue, or quit the game.

If you keep going with that character, I'd definitely recommend getting a meta gem asap. 3% more crit damage and the added strength will get you closer to those big crits you want. Don't really think DK crits harder than ret, ret has some pretty big crits if you consider the huge amount of holy damage coming in right after.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    The grass is always greener on the otherside of the fence. Any class you reroll is going to need some gear to decent dps. What sort of dps are you pulling as ret? Are you certain you have the right dps skill priority? Ret is my offspec at about 485ish and I roll through dailies with no issues. Averaging 60-70k dps in normal raid situations. Its not the top level dps but its more than sufficient to roll through dailies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stick with ret, once you get a decent weapon you'll find it is okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

It's my personal belief that Blizzzard nerfs hybrid dps classes proportionate to the ratio of healers:dps.
    • Raids require 24% healers
    • RBGs are being played with 30% heals
    • Arena is played with up to 40% heals

If the proportion of players playing DPS is too high, the obvious way to increase the amount of healers is by nerfing hybrid dps. Go a pure dps class and use that as your dps spec unless you don't have the time to invest in two 'mains'.

Also, here are the global stats for all raiders worth mentioning:
    http://www.worldofwargraphs.com/stat...0-0-0-0-0.html
    Last edited by Exac; 2013-03-31 at 09:13 AM.

if all you care about is dailies, then .. i mean frankly who cares

Ret's dps is on the low end in raiding, but even holy priest does dailies reasonably quickly.

I'd urge you to reconsider the reason you play the game before you reconsider the class. If all you're doing in wow is dailies and hanging out, there are MUCH more fun games out there.

Deleted
    I've been Holy/Ret pally since WotLK and since MoP i've really enjoyed ret play style again and whilst at low gear levels its a little hard, now that I've geared up ret (my off spec) from 5.0 LFRs (+ a couple of pieces from 5.0 normals) it's far more enjoyable!
    I can now gather up a good 5 or 6 mobs in the Court of Bones and dps them down (with seal on insight) in less than a minute. Even without the 100% crit buff I can gather up the same amount and dps them down in little time

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Stick with ret, once you get a decent weapon you'll find it is okay.
    Pretty much this, I went from 463 sword to the sha touched axe from sha of fear LFR and it improved my dps no end

What annoys me most about ret questing is inquisition. A glyph like the savage roar one feral druids have would be nice.

just switch, its not worth it.. if i had will power to lvl i would to, and yeah if i werent raiding i would quit immediately..all other aspects of game are boring to me
    Last edited by Ianus; 2013-03-31 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    What annoys me most about ret questing is inquisition. A glyph like the savage roar one feral druids have would be nice.
    Just use inquisition more wisely in transitions between mobs, dont reapply inq when something's about to die, wait till you start on the next mob. I have a feral druid as well and don't find questing particularly worse on a paladin. If anything is better about feral its the run speed

You obviously can't perfectly predict and apply inquisition while questing. Some of it will be wasted and you can't have 100% uptime like you can with savage roar.

Yes druid running speed is amazing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    You obviously can't perfectly predict and apply inquisition while questing. Some of it will be wasted and you can't have 100% uptime like you can with savage roar.

Yes druid running speed is amazing.
    I generally don't bother with inq when questing, only when fighting a large group of mobs or a boss mob. Otherwise it's not worth it.

And I don't like the whole "I'm not going to play a class if it's low raid dps"
    Play the class cause you want to play it, not because the top, top raiders are the ones playing it

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, from what I had seen recently as a headline on the front page, 5.3 could be introducing triple-spec. So you could pick up Ret for your third spec in 5.3 if you want to wait that long. Also, if you can find people to do dailies with it makes them multiple times quicker to do.
    Exorcising Undead in the name of the Silver Hand!
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...homerun/simple

Stay Holy/Prot and cut a deal with a friend or guildie. What I do is tag along with one of my dps friends and then we que for stuff together. I get dailies done and they get faster que times...win for everyone

Quote Originally Posted by dennisdkramer View Post
    if all you care about is dailies, then .. i mean frankly who cares

Ret's dps is on the low end in raiding, but even holy priest does dailies reasonably quickly.

I'd urge you to reconsider the reason you play the game before you reconsider the class. If all you're doing in wow is dailies and hanging out, there are MUCH more fun games out there.

i didn't said i only care about dailies , i raid as holy and pvp as holy , but since holy and prot takes time on killing stuff , thats why im asking about Ret . and the reason i play the game is because i enjoy it and if you read the op again i said i dont hate dailies . thank you very much have a nice day

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shynoz View Post
    i didn't said i only care about dailies , i raid as holy and pvp as holy , but since holy and prot takes time on killing stuff , thats why im asking about Ret . and the reason i play the game is because i enjoy it and if you read the op again i said i dont hate dailies . thank you very much have a nice day
    If you raid and PvP as holy, then I'd just pick Ret along with it. If it turns out to be inconvenient, so be it.

Ret does nicely and scales with your weapon. Anything that dies in 10 seconds doesn't need Inq. Most dailies wouldn't need inquisition other than elites and quest bosses.

You have to watch your health much more closely vs prot but at least stuff dies quickly. Just don't get overwhelmed or you'll squish fast.

Quote Originally Posted by shynoz View Post
    If you MS Holy then that's probably going to be the best spec to do dailies in, the DPS you can put out is quite surprising compared to the gear you'll have for ret (unless your raid group favours your ret set)

Quote Originally Posted by Xs View Post
    If you MS Holy then that's probably going to be the best spec to do dailies in, the DPS you can put out is quite surprising compared to the gear you'll have for ret (unless your raid group favours your ret set)
    disagree, holy paladin dps is REALLY bad, unless you glyph for it and then its still pretty damn bad. You might be able to keep up with a 460 ret set or something single target, but even if you can do that, you have no aoe which will make some quests a nightmare