Quote Originally Posted by smegmage View Post
I'm not sure how you interpreted what I wrote to be able to conclude this, but that is most definitely not what I said.

The cop is allowed to issue you tickets or charges with whatever you are guilty of, and there's a good chance they'll stand up in court. However in this case being that it's a relatively lowly ticket the issue shouldn't be the minor offense, it should be the cops mishandling of the situation by not following through with the original intent of the stop. It's indicative of the cop falsifying reason for detainment, something which cops are NOT allowed to do.

Keep arguing with me all you'd like, I've had a judge side with me on this very matter before. All the people in here willing to look over this really need to learn of their rights.
Argue all you want from the perspective of a judge siding you in YOUR country. It works differently in other countries. Cops are allowed to pull you over and do a license check in Aus. They usually do pull you over for RBT and license check but they don't have to do both.
Plus they can run your plate number before pulling you over anyway to check your records, which wouldn't have been the case for the OP. Unless of course his girlfriend was also a P plater.