Another Tortos 10 HC thread!

So, I know quite a few of these have been popping up recently, but I just really wanted to get some input/advice on what we could be doing differently.

Currently we're running with a group of
    Tanks: Prot Paladin, Prot Warrior
    Healers: Monk x2 and option to use a disc priest.
    Dps: Hunter x2, Warlock, Spriest, Ele Shammy, Balance Dudu, Frost DK

So, we can get down to around 75 % on the boss, and then we magically lose our add tank (the prot warrior) or me (the prot paladin), or to some other unexplainable reason (a fuck up, or breath not getting interrupted because of shells or what ever).

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/wt0inqjvmll0ohe2/

This is our log, and we tried multiple things:
    Kiting the adds, but we felt that we got overwhelmed and it was really balancing on a blade's edge.
    Killing the adds, which we found most success with, but we could have unfortunate tank deaths all of a sudden.

Tank swapping (this wasn't all that successful for us, cuz it usually ended up with one of us not being able to sustain our shield).

So tips for setup, 2 tank 2 heal, 1 tank 3 heal or whatever you think is viable if anyone has any would be greatly appreciated!
    Kunglight of Fractured - EU Twisting Nether
    Current progress 12/12 NM 1/12 HC

Deleted
    I recommend 1 tank, 3 healers. Paladin tanks especially are quite capable of solo tanking this.

You are able to ShotR every Snapping Bite with 1 or 2 in between, and healing aggro from Seal of Insight and Glyph of the Battle Healer will make sure bats run straight for you. You will have so much vengeance solo tanking that the bats will drop in no time with a little help. Just make sure the bats are actually being tanked before the DPS open up on them.

Be liberal with your cooldown usage, especially when both the bats and the boss are on you. Vengeance means your Sacred Shield will tick for a whole lot, which will really help smooth your damage intake. The main upside of solo tanking is that healers only have 1 tank to worry about, and don't have to split healing.

Also, a Judgment on Humming Crystals macro is very nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    How do you handle Tortos without a Paladin Tank?

We have Blood DK/Monk. I guess DK tanks Boss, Monk kites all bats. But can you 3-Heal with 2 Tanks? Or do you have to switch to 2-healing when using 2 Tanks?

Deleted
    We killed it with monk kiting and 2 healing it (monk + disc priest), since you have only to worry about torto's tank there's no reason to bring 3 healers unless ppl screw up with shields very often.

Barrage + Misdirection from an hunter help ALOT on bats btw.

There is really no reason to 3 heal this, unless maybe if you don't have a warlock to do the 70% slow on shells. We do the monk tank kiting bats all the fight strat, works like a charm.

Video if it helps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRnHrhH5Ut8

I only did normal on my monk healer, but obviously being able to use TFT to cover to full raid and uplift 3 times after a stomp is kind of awesome. I didn't go disc for Tortos, I went Holy, having more powerful aoe heals and hots was making a huge difference for me, maybe not for others, but I felt it was better. However I wouldn't advise doing 1 tank without a holy paladin, especially with monk healers.
    Karuzo | Drainlife, US-Arthas
    Mistweaver Monk - armory - twitter - raider.io - twitch

My group are atm crying for a Holy Paladin, but we don't have access to one unless we bring an alt with at least 10 gear levels lower and the player not being nearly as practiced in healing as in dps (it's our SPriest).

We're planning on trying the monk kiting, having one of our monks kiting and doing monk/disc priest heal, and here's to hoping it might turn out okay in the end. I can tell you, trying to 1 tank 3 heal didn't do us any good, since as soon as the bats came, we had trouble keeping the shield on me throughout it.

When you're kiting the bats, is anyone doing damage to them at all, to at least try and keep them from reaching a critical mass?
    Kunglight of Fractured - EU Twisting Nether
    Current progress 12/12 NM 1/12 HC

Just 8 shot it tonight (our first night on him). Monk and Disc heals, Bear on bats and Prot pally on boss. Just make sure people only hit the crystals when near full HP and it felt like normal mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    However I wouldn't advise doing 1 tank without a holy paladin, especially with monk healers.
    Could you elaborate this please?

we put in some 50 attempts over 2 nights and we just cant get this down. our rdruid and disc priest were doing 150khps and 95khps respectively and we always fail at around 70ish%. we tried many attempts with BM kiting and also trying to kill bats, when we try to kill bats we fall behind on shells. when we kite bats they always gib our rdruid because hes pulling so much threat, we tried 1 night without a hunter and the next night with a hunter MDing to the BM but nothing ever changes, when the 2nd wave of shells and 2-3rd wave of bats come we die there everytime. our other tank is a warrior dont know if that changes anything, but any healp with be greatly appreciated. Im affliction for the 70% slow on shells and we dropped down to 1 melee dps to help make sure the shells go down quick, but the bats are just a nightmare for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Linnea View Post
    Could you elaborate this please?
    Monks shine on this fight because of uplift on raid, but tank healing is really not the strong point of monks.. so double monk would make me nervous to solo tank it just because I am not confident at all in the rng of monk tank healing to keep shield up on the tank.

That's why I swapped from my monk to my priest this tier, too rng unreliable, but then again, very strong to heal the raid.. you just bank 5 chi and use expel harm and you can do 3 uplift to top everybody off (or maximize their shield very fast)
    Karuzo | Drainlife, US-Arthas
    Mistweaver Monk - armory - twitter - raider.io - twitch

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Did this in about 2 hours of attempts. 3 melee DPS (really only 2), and a prot warrior on the boss. One of the melee DPS (frost DK) kited the bats around the entire time. Pretty easy for snap aggro with howling blast in blood presence. Never had a problem picking them up in the air and just had our warlock shadow fury the bats when then new bats arrived (just so I could ignore the previous bats and quickly locate the new ones in the air).

Glyphed curse of exhaustion helps a lot. On the first set of turtles everybody killed the turtles. Each set of turtles after that the melee only helped until the turtles started reaching the middle of the room. Normally they would kill one turtle then go back to the boss.

Biggest thing is to get the shell debuff when you're nearly topped off or topped off. At that point your healers need to be doing efficient heals and any bonus AoE heals they can to keep the shield up. After that it's up to your individual members to not stand too close to the void zones and pop personal CDs right as stomps are going up. Strong enough personals mean your shield won't even break for a stomp. Use raid CDs 5-10 seconds after a stomp and pick up a crystal once you're topped off again.

The only problems arise when turtles get out of hand. Turtles not being snared or kept under control means it's hard to do pretty much anything else in the encounter. They chip away at your shield, slow your DPS and make it a nightmare to kite the bats if you're going that route.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ccqpuodp View Post
    I recommend 1 tank, 3 healers. Paladin tanks especially are quite capable of solo tanking this.

You are able to ShotR every Snapping Bite with 1 or 2 in between, and healing aggro from Seal of Insight and Glyph of the Battle Healer will make sure bats run straight for you. You will have so much vengeance solo tanking that the bats will drop in no time with a little help. Just make sure the bats are actually being tanked before the DPS open up on them.

Be liberal with your cooldown usage, especially when both the bats and the boss are on you. Vengeance means your Sacred Shield will tick for a whole lot, which will really help smooth your damage intake. The main upside of solo tanking is that healers only have 1 tank to worry about, and don't have to split healing.

Also, a Judgment on Humming Crystals macro is very nice.
    What ilvl do you sit on? Just to compare if our tank i capable of doing this aswell.

And just to make sure. You need everyone, individually, to hit the crystal to get the absorb shield, aight?

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Did this in about 2 hours of attempts. 3 melee DPS (really only 2), and a prot warrior on the boss. One of the melee DPS (frost DK) kited the bats around the entire time. Pretty easy for snap aggro with howling blast in blood presence. Never had a problem picking them up in the air and just had our warlock shadow fury the bats when then new bats arrived (just so I could ignore the previous bats and quickly locate the new ones in the air).

Glyphed curse of exhaustion helps a lot. On the first set of turtles everybody killed the turtles. Each set of turtles after that the melee only helped until the turtles started reaching the middle of the room. Normally they would kill one turtle then go back to the boss.

Biggest thing is to get the shell debuff when you're nearly topped off or topped off. At that point your healers need to be doing efficient heals and any bonus AoE heals they can to keep the shield up. After that it's up to your individual members to not stand too close to the void zones and pop personal CDs right as stomps are going up. Strong enough personals mean your shield won't even break for a stomp. Use raid CDs 5-10 seconds after a stomp and pick up a crystal once you're topped off again.

The only problems arise when turtles get out of hand. Turtles not being snared or kept under control means it's hard to do pretty much anything else in the encounter. They chip away at your shield, slow your DPS and make it a nightmare to kite the bats if you're going that route.
    How did the DK kiting the bats survive on stomps?

Quote Originally Posted by Linnea View Post
    How did the DK kiting the bats survive on stomps?
    Glyphed Ice Bound + pvp trinket is how our Frost DK did it. We're getting to 45% this way, then wiping. The strat really is like trying to balance on a blade's edge, but if you can pull it off it trivializes the fight.

Deleted
    We started this with a few pulls last night. Solotanking with 2 or 3 healers.

Issue we faced is that bats were not coming to paladin tank via battle healer (is this because of crystal shields on raid not counting as healing?), we do not have a hunter to MD it.

Any tips for this situation? After the first set it was a bit easier i guess because vengeance was there, but yeah a bit of a pain.

Any tips for a protwarr kiting the bats?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Glyph of IBF is pretty amazing for this fight if you're kiting. If your shield is capped and you IBF stomp (which is the only major damage) you won't lose your shield. AMS shortly after and you can run through the entire fight without taking much damage.

You can get desecrated ground as well to prevent some stuns but it's really not necessary. Nor is a PvP trinket. I got AoE grip to help centralize the bats if they got a little bit messy. You can do the same with ursols vortex but I just opted for the grip so that people could pay attention to turtles. The stun really isn't that big of a deal, just make sure you're a good distance away from the bats for each quake and they won't reach you.

The hardest part for me (picking up bats) was when new bats spawned. Mostly because bats usually happen right around a quake, meaning that there are void zones everywhere. This is a problem because looking up in the air to where the bats spawn and at the same time dodging void zones becomes pretty hard to do. I just asked for an AoE stun as soon as the new bats spawned (lock shadow fury) and that gave me time to locate the new ones.

I think you could use a Prot Warrior but at that point you might as well tank them. The beauty of a DK/Monk doing it is they take very little damage and they are easier to pick up. A warrior doing it is going to take some damage and the line between kiting them and taking damage is razor thin.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaMaria View Post
    We started this with a few pulls last night. Solotanking with 2 or 3 healers.

Issue we faced is that bats were not coming to paladin tank via battle healer (is this because of crystal shields on raid not counting as healing?), we do not have a hunter to MD it.

Any tips for this situation? After the first set it was a bit easier i guess because vengeance was there, but yeah a bit of a pain.
    How's the gear on your prot pala? And which healers are you using?

Deleted
    Gear on the pala is v good for tortos imo:
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...londe/advanced

In terms of healers, we were using disc/monk/pala, but because of that issue, the paladin went on his hunter to MD and it seemed to be fine, although sometimes we'd break my shield (pala tank) and i would end up at 80% health when i clicked the shield because of fucking lag or some other bs.