Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Beer is feminizing?

So I've been doing some reading and can't really find any good info on this.
    Apparently hops used to brew beer are oestrogenic (like soy) and men consuming it has negative effects.
    The oestrogenic effects apparenly cause the 'beer belly' and man boobs in men.
    It lowers testosterone as well, but causes it to increase 400% in rats (apparently) hence the violent disposition of some heavy drinkers.

Similar "info" is on soy products as well (even though many asian peoples have lived on soy for thousands of years)

There is so much contradicting nutritional advice and information from "experts" who want you to buy their book it's hard to believe anything anymore.
    I am just wondering what you (real people) think about this.

Personally I am a very light drinker, some weeks I won't even drink at all, so it doesn't bother me too much.

Out of all the things you could be reading up on, why this?

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't care. I will wear a bra.
    Operation Red Wing

Sure sounds like rubbish to me. How about some sources, for any of your claims?
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by Realitysucks View Post
    So I've been doing some reading and can't really find any good info on this.
    Apparently hops used to brew beer are oestrogenic (like soy) and men consuming it has negative effects.
    The oestrogenic effects apparenly cause the 'beer belly' and man boobs in men.
    It lowers testosterone as well, but causes it to increase 400% in rats (apparently) hence the violent disposition of some heavy drinkers.

Similar "info" is on soy products as well (even though many asian peoples have lived on soy for thousands of years)

There is so much contradicting nutritional advice and information from "experts" who want you to buy their book it's hard to believe anything anymore.
    I am just wondering what you (real people) think about this.

Personally I am a very light drinker, some weeks I won't even drink at all, so it doesn't bother me too much.
    I've heard that before but from some microbrewers I know I have also heard that the hopping process really cooks the shit out of the hops, so the idea is that if you eat hops straight, yeah manboobs.

But typical beer, its like drinking soup with sherry in it. The alcohol has been mostly cooked out

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    Sure sounds like rubbish to me. How about some sources, for any of your claims?
    I'm not claiming any of it is true, a little reading comprehension perhaps?
    I don't dismiss things just because I don't like what I read, if I am curious about something I read many sources and form my own opinion.

I wouldn't care in the slightest. Beer tastes awful and has very little alcohol in it to begin with. I don't really see the appeal.

---------- Post added 2013-04-01 at 03:46 AM ----------

Also, as far as the whole "manboobs" thing goes, no matter who you are, if you're a male, and you get fat, you'll have manboobs. Likewise, fatter women will have larger breasts.

It's a common region for fat to be stored in both genders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

This sounds wildly unlikely.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    I wouldn't care in the slightest. Beer tastes awful and has very little alcohol in it to begin with. I don't really see the appeal.

---------- Post added 2013-04-01 at 03:46 AM ----------

Also, as far as the whole "manboobs" thing goes, no matter who you are, if you're a male, and you get fat, you'll have manboobs. Likewise, fatter women will have larger breasts.

It's a common region for fat to be stored in both genders.
    Disagree, hormones and genetics dictate where your body will store fat, there are some men that aren't overweight but have manboobs due to hormonal imbalance or other conditions.

Women tend to store fat in different locations than men.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    I've heard that before but from some microbrewers I know I have also heard that the hopping process really cooks the shit out of the hops, so the idea is that if you eat hops straight, yeah manboobs.

But typical beer, its like drinking soup with sherry in it. The alcohol has been mostly cooked out
    If you're adding alcohol to soup you're still getting a large amount of the alcohol. Depends on how long you cook it but you're looking at well over half unless you cook it awhile.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Everything is wrong, and you should feel bad" - Is all I hear on the news, newspapers, internet and billboards.
    Imma smoke and drink, and whatever i damn right feel like until it kills me. And im going to bitch about it when im dying too, feel all bad and stuff probably; but for now: \o/ Weeeee.
    No seriously, im just really sick of the health stuff.
    I like juice

The word you were looking for is "stupifying."

Any man who is drunk is not going to be talking about his feelings and shit ....so GTFO.....beer will make you wanna fight as much as anything else

Yes, "a potent phytoestrogen" is found in hops, but the amounts found in beer are so low that it is not of any concern.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10372741

10+ Year Old Account
    You should stop reading prisonplanet. The contents of that site will cause you far more damage than the beer,

Beer does contain phytoestrogens, which are estrogen-like compounds found in various plants.

In addition to beer, they're also found in soybeans as well as *deep breath* flax, sesame seeds, wheatberries, fenugreek, oats, barley, beans, lentils, yams, rice, alfalfa, mung beans, apples, carrots, pomegranates, wheat germ, rice bran, lupin, kudzu, coffee, licorice root, mint, ginseng, hops, bourbon, fennel and anise.

Furthermore, studies have found that they do not have any effect on testosterone levels nor on ejaculate volume, sperm count, or sperm mobility.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    Any man who is drunk is not going to be talking about his feelings and shit ....so GTFO.....beer will make you wanna fight as much as anything else
    An intelligent reply, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    You should stop reading prisonplanet. The contents of that site will cause you far more damage than the beer,
    I don't, but thanks for the headsup.

Completely anecdotal but, whiskey makes me wanna fight, ,tequila makes me wanna get naked, but beer... my stomach gets full before I get anywhere near being drunk.

Everybody acts exactly the same under the influence of alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Everybody acts exactly the same under the influence of alcohol.
    This made me chuckle.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    lol. Good job only knowing about Miller etc.

I've had several craft beers well past even the 10% mark and beer can actually range anywhere from 3%~ to 30%~ alcohol.

---------- Post added 2013-04-01 at 04:21 AM ----------

lol BS.

I get giggly as shit.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water