Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Just hit 90 on my Prot Pal...where to go from here.

First off, thanks to anyone who takes the time to provide a well thought out answer!

I just returned after about a year break or so and hit 90 today. The sheer amount of content before me is kind of overwhelming though.

Basically I want to just go into Heroic ToT with a friend's guild as quick as I can as a Protection Paladin.

So I ask you, all knowing forum posters what is the best way to get there. I have plenty of time to devote to the game right now.

-Which dailies should I be focusing on for enchants/valor gear?
    -Is the farm thing worth it for what my goals are?
    -I've been told upon reaching 90 to do Scenarios to get the ilvl requirement for heroics. Would like someone to confirm this.

I tried searching for this information elsewhere; but it's very scattered and mostly outdated since 5.2 came out.

Thanks!

Deleted
    I am not really sure about scenarios. I think PvP is a faster way to gear up to be honest.

I would go for a mix of PvP + Heroics to get into LFR, then after LFR go to normal MSV, HoF and ToES.

But before doing LFRs I would do dailies on the isle of thunder, get a key to the treasure run which can easily grant you 20 coins to roll for in LFR to increase your ilvl faster.

Get a ghost iron dragonling on the auction house, you will keep it far into ToT normals/heroics.

Farming is meh at this point if your goal is to get raid-ready as soon as possible. Skip it.

What are your professions? Some of the enchanting recipes are locked behind rep grinds, but you don't need rep just for the enchants any more.

Scenarios are great to get those first few ilvls, and they go by very fast. Hit Arena of Annihilation first for a minor weapon upgrade.

You don't say how much cash you have to spend. If you do have cash to burn, buy the 496 chest and hands and that should easily get you to heroic dungeons. It might even get you to MSV raidfinder status. If not, one or two heroic dungeons should get you to 460 pretty easily.

If there are any Sha or Galleon or Oondasta runs on your server do them. Don't forget to loot the Sha for a quest that gives you nice starter boots.

Run the dailies for Thunder Island for the lesser charm coins, which you'll turn in for greater charms. If you get a treasure key run the scenario to get more elder coins than you can handle. Once you've got some elder coins, run LFRs. If your LFR queue is long, run a scenario or a heroic dungeon while you're waiting.

While you're on the island if you see a silver dragon rare it's worth it to sidetrack and kill it once per week. They'll drop tomes for 15 valor a pop plus some other nice stuff, once a week. If you've killed that rare this week then don't bother.

If you finish Thunder Island dailies and you've killed the rares on the island and you enjoy dailies, investigate Domination Point/whatever the Alliance does in Krasarang Wilds.

Your first valor point purchase could be the 522 neck that you can get from Shado-Pan Assault at neutral for 1250 VP. However the costs for the 489 and 496 valor gear has gone down since the last patch. There's a valor vendor at the top of Niuzao Temple in Townlong Steppes. Once you've accumulated 750 valor or so you should fly over there and check to see if anything you can purchase fills a notable/painful gap. If not, keep saving for the 522 gear. Getting to Shado-Pan Friendly opens up more options.

I'll try all that out, thanks.

Have plenty of gold and professions are blacksmith, jewelcraft.

Thanks for the responses! Will do that arena scenario asap.

- Get yourself in on a group killing the Sha of Anger. Nobody will check or care about your item level. As well as a slim chance of tier gear, your first kill will give you a quest item that can be turned in for ilvl 476 boots, which are a decent start.
    - You can buy crafted 476 gear cheap, and if your friend's guild is keen for you to gear up, they might be able to help you acquire 496 crafted stuff. They probably have some blood spirits (the key crafting mat) kicking around.
    - I'd be surprised if that crafted stuff didn't get you the 435 or so needed for heroics. Failing that, though, completing the Dread Wastes quest lines will both get you a reasonable chunk of Klaxxi rep and the upgrades you need.
    - From there, heroics til you hit 460, then MSV LFR to 470, then HoF/ToES LFR to 480, then ToT LFR. Note, I fully agree with Firefly's comment re: getting coins from the Isle of Thunder first.
    - In the meantime, you'll want to earn rep so that you can spend VP. 522 VP gear is only available with Shado-Pan Assault rep, which only comes from killing ToT bosses, so it's likely you'll want to spend some on 489/496 gear first (which is discounted 50%/25% from what it used to cost). Right now you can do dailies for Golden Lotus, Klaxxi and Shieldwall/Dominance; once you hit Revered with Golden Lotus you'll unlock Shado Pan and August Celestials. Shieldwall/Dominance is 496 gear, the others are 489.
    - There are no enchants gated behind faction rep any more, they're all optional, it's just you need rep to spend VP. (Some recipes require reputation to buy, though.)
    - Make sure to select a rep as the one you're championing (star next to it), you'll get bonus rep from the first dungeon/scenario per day.
    - The farm is slightly worthwhile because at Exalted you'll be able to do work orders for rep with other factions.

Great post pants, thanks much.

Will get to work on all that!

Also, try to farm Kirin Tor Offensive w/e horde version of it to honored. You can buy 476 belt for gold.

Summing all above up, faster way is, on your first week:

1.- Get 450 weapon from arena of anihilation.
    2.- Get 450 shield from bs, either from AH or friend.
    3.- Get 476 boots from sha.
    4.- Also try to get a kill Galleon and Oondasta. Will get some upgrades if lucky.
    5.- Get 496 gloves and chest from AH or bs friend.
    6.- Farm Kirin Tor Offensive reputation and buy belt.
    7.- Get full 458 pvp set on remaining pieces.
    8.- Get Key to the Palace of Lei Shen and get some golden charms. You can get it either as a reward from daylies, from a Trove of the Thunder King or from rares in the island. Dont waste your attempt going further than first room the first time. Just open every chest you see and will get enough gold charms.
    9.- Make a daily scenario. You can get 476 gear from there.

At this point you will be for sure at heroic dungeons level. Spam them. DONT waste your justice points on justice gear. Just change it to honor and get pvp pieces that make up for your worst slots. Eventually, out of 463 gear, you will get to 460 and be able to go to MSV raid finder. Use a gold charm on every boss. With no upgrade from MSV, with gear above + full 463 pieces on remaining spots you'll be sitting at 468 ilvl.

If lucky, you will get some upgrades and will get to 470. Make HoF and ToeS raid finders.

If got even more lucky, you'll get to 480 and gain access to ToT raid finder. Else, keep spamming heroic dungeons for justce -> honor and buy more pvp gear. Above gear + full malevolent gets you to 479 ilvl. Would be utter bad luck not getting a single drop from LFR that would push you to 480.

This way, if you do enough heroic dungeons and change all your pieces to at least 476 pvp gear you will be ready for first bosses on ToT NM in less than a week.

After that, is a matter of weeks and replacing your worst items for valor point ones.

Oh! And as a note, if you are über rich you can spend some thousands of gold on BMAH and get 535 gear from there...

Hope it helped and didnt get too messy.
    Last edited by Kethmil; 2013-04-01 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Typo

Very helpful thanks

Deleted
    In all your advices, you kinda forget he has to TANK all that content..

Quote Originally Posted by SirRaven View Post
    In all your advices, you kinda forget he has to TANK all that content..
    Actually, if he is going for the Mastery/Haste route of gearing he is probably going to want to go DPS for a good portion of the LFR runs with a few switches to Prot for certain fights.

OP, figure out your gearing strategy now because if you want to go Mastery/Haste and you run as a Tank for all of the LFR stuff you may end up in mostly Dodge/Parry gear. At the very least you can consider switching to Ret after every fight and using your coins.

Once you've run through the last tier on LFR, look into pugging it on normal. If you go through Open Raid you can probably find a group that'll do a heroic or two. Make sure you've got your elder charms before you go in, and have a vague idea of which bosses drops the bigger upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by Relur View Post
    Actually, if he is going for the Mastery/Haste route of gearing he is probably going to want to go DPS for a good portion of the LFR runs with a few switches to Prot for certain fights.

OP, figure out your gearing strategy now because if you want to go Mastery/Haste and you run as a Tank for all of the LFR stuff you may end up in mostly Dodge/Parry gear. At the very least you can consider switching to Ret after every fight and using your coins.
    /signed

If you have time to sign up and tab out to watch Youtube or something then sign as ret and roll your face through all the LFRs, otherwise tanking them is gear dependant and gives you gear you don't actually want for tanking

This is personally what I've done/am doing with my Priest. Most of it will be beneficial to you, OP, but some of it is stuff you do while leveling, so maybe this will help others with alts coming up or people in your situation that are still on their way to 90.

While leveling my Priest I chose to set some time aside and and look at what would be available to me at 90. I decided I'd have enough gold to purchase at the least the 476 crafted items, more than likely not going to spend the $ on the 496. When I made my Priest it was early in the week, so on Monday night I was in the mid 40s, but I asked my guild to invite me to Sha and Galleon groups. I just spammed SWP to ensure I got a tag on each and then quickly died. This gave me the quest turn in for boots from Sha. Sadly I only got failbags for both. When the next week started (leading up to Easter) I was busy, so I wasn't on track for my goal of when I would hit 90. I ended up doing Sha, Galleon, and Oondasta this past week, but again just failbags. Hopefully other people have better luck with them. =s There's no reason not to do the bosses pre 90, you still have the same chance at loot as long as you get the tag. Just die and wait there until the boss goes down.

I then chose to get JP and honor capped. If you run dungeons from 80-85 you can get easy JP. Try your best to cap it. Personally I'm not a big fan of PvP, but I hate Jade Forest even more, so I'm choosing that time to BG farm. Just do your best to win, be prepared to lose though =s. I wanted Honor and JP capped so that at 90, I could spend the honor, convert the JP to honor, and then do a couple more BGs for an additional 250 honor allowing me to have a grand total purcahse of Cloak, Bracers, Belt, Ring x2 from honor. I intend to do some arena games and use the Conquest for my Shoulders.

This will set me at:
    Shoulders: Conquest
    Cloak: Honor
    Chest: Crafted
    Bracers: Honor
    Gloves: Crafted
    Belt: Honor
    Boots: Sha
    Ring: Honor
    Ring: Honor

Shortly after hitting 90.
    The ilevel of these items is 477. If I can get at least 410 ilevel greens in the remaining slots, I'll have an ilevel of 448. If I then decide to have the the crafted PvP gear made for all available remaining slots, I'd be at 469 ilevel. This serves the dual purpose of having a great set of PvP gear. For other people you may get lucky on Sha/Oondasta/Galleon and have better items in some slots. For me though this will work just fine. PvP gear is good enough for me to run the full LFRs, if I coin all the t14 bosses, I'm sure I'll be gtg. After that I can join pugs or whatever for a quick clear of MSV/HoF/ToES, hopefully having enough coins for those as well. I hear you can acquire a lot of them very quickly (I haven't tried out the new 5.2 stuff yet, as I took a break and am now rerolling).

After all that is said and done and running the ToT LFR's as well, I'm sure I'll have at least a 490 ilevel. I'd feel comfortable jumping into whatever at that. I'd be a bit behind others possibly, but not so much as to hold them back.

I hope this helped some of you prepare your up and coming 90s

Quote Originally Posted by Xs View Post
    /signed

If you have time to sign up and tab out to watch Youtube or something then sign as ret and roll your face through all the LFRs, otherwise tanking them is gear dependant and gives you gear you don't actually want for tanking
    Hmm, good to know. Will be going with mastery/haste so that's really good to know. Thanks!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Relur View Post

OK, lemme rephrase that: he says pretty clear:

Basically I want to just go into Heroic ToT with a friend's guild as quick as I can as a Protection Paladin.
    Of course he'd need to go ret as first. Or he can be carried, that's even way faster.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRaven View Post
    OK, lemme rephrase that: he says pretty clear:

Of course he'd need to go ret as first. Or he can be carried, that's even way faster.
    I understood that he wanted to tank, but I don't think that it is common sense for a new tank to know that they should queue ret in LFR. That is really what I was saying, also based on the response from OP it was worth saying.

You'll want to look at loot tables for each LFR wing before you queue; some of them have more crit ret gear than haste/mastery ret gear.

you guys have all been extremely helpful, thanks!

Currently doing the 1 million Isle of Thunder dailies for the charms...yeah -.-

471 ilvl so far in 2 days

Quote Originally Posted by Ninotchka View Post
    You'll want to look at loot tables for each LFR wing before you queue; some of them have more crit ret gear than haste/mastery ret gear.
    Hes still better off getting crit/useful stat rather than dodge or parry/useful stat