Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Anyone who thinks dailies are "required" now are just complaining for the sake of complaining, or they have not played since 5.2. They are 100% not required to do anything. If you don't like them, you do not need to do them for anything.

And you can get coins from killing mini-bosses. You do not need to do dailies or pet battles.

Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    Anyone who thinks dailies are "required" now are just complaining for the sake of complaining, or they have not played since 5.2. They are 100% not required to do anything. If you don't like them, you do not need to do them for anything.

And you can get coins from killing mini-bosses. You do not need to do dailies or pet battles.
    Dailies are not required now if you've been playing since release of MoP. The OP hasn't.
    If he wants to catch up quickly, he might as well do them for the lesser charms. So he can double dip in LFR.
    Or unless you want OP to join a raid group with alot of blues and less purples then, which I doubt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mousepan View Post
    Dailies are not required now if you've been playing since release of MoP. The OP hasn't.
    If he wants to catch up quickly, he might as well do them for the lesser charms. So he can double dip in LFR.
    Or unless you want OP to join a raid group with alot of blues and less purples then, which I doubt.
    From OP post it seems he is most interested in 5 man heroics...no need to gear up quickly for that.
    "Brevity is...wit"

OP can go to the new island and kill some mini bosses. He can also get tabards and run heroic 5-mans. He can also get some crafted gear.

There is plenty that can be done without doing any dailies to get geared up quickly.

Doing dailies is an option. However, it is not the only option, or the "fastest" option, or the "best" option. It is just an option.

Quote Originally Posted by shokter View Post
    From OP post it seems he is most interested in 5 man heroics...no need to gear up quickly for that.
    He also states he was a hardcore raider. If he wants to raid right away, then he has to do lfr, if he wants to maximize lfr rng, he has to get lesser charms so he can get 5.2 lfr loots. to do that he needs to do dailies or pet battles.

Dont even get me started on 5.0-5.1 lfr. where you cant use the current mogu and you have to farm rares in IoL or do dailies in IoL to get greater elder charms.

Unless OP wants to be carried in the current 5.2 raids or 5.0-5.1 those are the only things he can do to catch up.

Let alone do daily rep grinds for valor items. but dailies arent mandatory right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, if he's been playing for months but that's not the case for OP.
    OP is coming back from not playing. If he wants to gear fast, those are his options.
    Keep in mind there's no current catch up to current content option available in 5.2, besides lfr, which has terrible RNG even with the boost to it.
    You will be amazed on how much you understand Op's predicament.
    The double dip thing is not a requirement. A brand new 90 could walk right into 5.2 content and could still get geared for LFR or Heroics without touching a daily. There is new crafted gear to put you right over the top. IF he wants to "double dip", then dailies, pet battles, and mini bosses are a great idea. But, if he just wants to get geared and get started, nothing else is a requirement.

OP can go to the new island and kill some mini bosses. He can also get tabards and run heroic 5-mans. He can also get some crafted gear.

There is plenty that can be done without doing any dailies to get geared up quickly.

Doing dailies is an option. However, it is not the only option, or the "fastest" option, or the "best" option. It is just an option.
    OP is starting over. ODDS are he doesn't have the resources to get crafted gear.
    Tabards? Lol what explain.
    The mini bosses, with RNG requirements and knowing that other people are trying to kill it?
    Also by mini bosses you mean world bosses like oondosta or rares in IoL?

---------- Post added 2013-04-01 at 08:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    The double dip thing is not a requirement. A brand new 90 could walk right into 5.2 content and could still get geared for LFR or Heroics without touching a daily. There is new crafted gear to put you right over the top. IF he wants to "double dip", then dailies, pet battles, and mini bosses are a great idea. But, if he just wants to get geared and get started, nothing else is a requirement.
    Yeah, don't forget, OP is starting again from a long break. Assume he has no resources that can give him crafted gear.
    A brand new 90 can indeed walk in 5.2 lfr, but odds are he wont get anything and there's a weekly cap.

You're forgeting that the current tier lfr has no bonus rng boost, like the prior ones. RNG is RNG. ODDS are he will get gold from doing that lfr. He can only do it once per week. Assuming he will have bad rng, it might take him a month or so to catch up.

Unless OP wants to wait that long to catch up then its fine. If he doesn't then I suggest dont bother .

OP is starting over. ODDS are he doesn't have the resources to get crafted gear.
    Tabards? Lol what explain.
    The mini bosses, with RNG requirements and knowing that other people are trying to kill it?
    Also by mini bosses you mean world bosses like oondosta or rares in IoL?
    Oops - I means to "check the rep". Not tabards. I mis-spoke there. I would've thought you could have figured that out.....apparently not.

You don't need a lot of resources to get crafted gear. Lots of them are pretty cheap on the AH. And making gold is not hard (you can make enough for a few pieces just by leveling), even for someone who has not played for a while (assuming they spent all their money before they stopped playing).

mini bosses - I meant both rares and world bosses. No reason to limit yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ready to Raid in 3 Days with NO Dailies

This is more than sufficient for Heroics or LFR and some of it might be overkill for 5man content, but, it can be done.

IIRC there's a 7 day free trial available, but not sure if that would apply for the OP. Might be worth looking into.

Dailies: There is still a fair amount of incentive to do them (crafting plans/recipes, mounts, tokens towards bonus roll coins), but they are nowhere near mandatory as they were in 5.0-5.1.

Queues: 10-15 min wait for dps for 5 mans. Some parts of LFR are the same wait (MSV, HoF part 1). HoF part 2, Terrace, and ToT will have you waiting 30 minutes minimum. Bit painful.

On the bonus roll coin note, I took my alt mage from 460 ilvl to 475 in 2 weeks. Ran MSV, HoF, and Terrace 2 weeks ago, and Terrace again last night. Ended up with 6 pieces of gear. None of it was from coins...in fact, the only item I won from coin rolls was a second helm token...boo.

Problem with that is he got alot off crafted items, that wont be helpful with 5.2 current raid. (ilvl 450-475?)
    Also don't forget they're pricey, which I doubt he has the gold for, unless he can get 100k+ gold in a week.

Also that's all fine, though, but I Doubt he wants to get carried through the new current raid with low gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    He also states he was a hardcore raider. If he wants to raid right away, then he has to do lfr, if he wants to maximize lfr rng, he has to get lesser charms so he can get 5.2 lfr loots. to do that he needs to do dailies or pet battles.

Dont even get me started on 5.0-5.1 lfr. where you cant use the current mogu and you have to farm rares in IoL or do dailies in IoL to get greater elder charms.

Unless OP wants to be carried in the current 5.2 raids or 5.0-5.1 those are the only things he can do to catch up.

Let alone do daily rep grinds for valor items. but dailies arent mandatory right?
    He states he was a hardcore in vanilla and casual/pvper in later expansions. All the other questions seem to indicate an interest more along the lines of 5 mans than hardcore raiding...

OP...you can either take the advice of most people here (and the best advice: that really you will need to decide for yourself) or take the advice of above poster...someone who seems to have a weird agenda of dissuading people to return (all of his posts are on this topic and this topic only).
    "Brevity is...wit"

10+ Year Old Account
    Other thing to remember is questing through Dread Wastes, the rewards are lvl 440, Arena of Annihilation outside the White Tiger Temple has a 450 weapon, and there are crafted pieces in the AH too. This is more than enough to get into Heroics. Once in Heroics, getting 463 gear is a sinch and once the upgrade vendors return, you can take your JP from heroics and push the 463 gear to 471.

Pro Tip: People who hate dailies and having to work for something will always tell you it is impossible and to turn back. Google is your friend http://variantavatar.com/2012/10/5-t...er-hitting-90/ (#3 - still not required)

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post

This is more than sufficient for Heroics or LFR and some of it might be overkill for 5man content, but, it can be done.
    The problem with that is, I doubt he has the resources to get alot of crafted items.
    Also, I doubt that with ilvl 450-475 items will get him in a raid with the current 5.2 raids.
    Keep in mind he used to be in a hardcore raiding guild. Expect the best, not mediocre.

Problem with that is he got alot off crafted items, that wont be helpful with 5.2 current raid. (ilvl 450-475?)
    Also don't forget they're pricey, which I doubt he has the gold for, unless he can get 100k+ gold in a week.

Also that's all fine, though, but I Doubt he wants to get carried through the new current raid with low gear.
    You don't need a lot of crafted items. Just a few (can probably get 3 ilvl 476 pieces for under 5k gold total, significantly less if you know/meet people). It's only the higher ilvl ones that are really expensive.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't need a lot of crafted items. Just a few (can probably get 3 ilvl 476 pieces for under 5k gold total, significantly less if you know/meet people). It's only the higher ilvl ones that are really expensive.
    Exactly. A fresh 90 could be geared in a matter of HOURS after hitting level cap and never touching a daily.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the answers, some rather mixed opinions but that was to be expected I suppose.

To clarify, what I'm aiming for is indeed fooling around a bit in 5man heroics, some LFR and perhaps some casual raiding (pickup group or laid-back normal difficulty raiding group if I can find one of those to my liking). There's absolutely no rush though, between all the real-life stuff and work I won't have too much time anyway and once I quit hardcore raiding in early WotLK I've not seen much use in rushing content.

As for resources, level 85 characters I have plenty but I'm probably very low on gold, so crafted items won't be too easy. But again, I don't especially feel the need to hit LFR within a week or whatever (will probably take me longer than that to level something )

Overall though, as it seems dailies are not 'that' mandatory and the positive replies seem better written and argumented I guess I'll just give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by shokter View Post
    He states he was a hardcore in vanilla and casual/pvper in later expansions. All the other questions seem to indicate an interest more along the lines of 5 mans than hardcore raiding...

OP...you can either take the advice of most people here (and the best advice: that really you will need to decide for yourself) or take the advice of above poster...someone who seems to have a weird agenda of dissuading people to return (all of his posts are on this topic and this topic only).
    I don't have an agenda, I'm just letting OP know what he's up against, in accordance to his likes/dislikes.

Also, getting 450-475 gear is not the issue, if you want him to raid old content for a while. I doubt OP wants to raid old content when there's new content.

I seriously doubt a pug/ or a guild raid leader will invite you to raid current 5.2 content with an ilvl of 450-475.

---------- Post added 2013-04-01 at 09:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Itko View Post
    Thanks for all the answers, some rather mixed opinions but that was to be expected I suppose.

To clarify, what I'm aiming for is indeed fooling around a bit in 5man heroics, some LFR and perhaps some casual raiding (pickup group or laid-back normal difficulty raiding group if I can find one of those to my liking). There's absolutely no rush though, between all the real-life stuff and work I won't have too much time anyway and once I quit hardcore raiding in early WotLK I've not seen much use in rushing content.

As for resources, level 85 characters I have plenty but I'm probably very low on gold, so crafted items won't be too easy. But again, I don't especially feel the need to hit LFR within a week or whatever (will probably take me longer than that to level something )

Overall though, as it seems dailies are not 'that' mandatory and the positive replies seem better constructed and argumented I guess I'll just give it a try.
    you can give it a try op, and you'll know how "mandatory" dailies are

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    Aren't dailies still required if you want to be able to acquire rewards from Wrathion? Like the legendary gem, head enchant and future legendary weapon?). For 5.0 quests you can just grind mogu mobs in Pandaria and do 5.0 raids but to me 5.1 dailies are the ones which you have to do if you want to have the rewards.
    IF you want any specific rewards or items from the QMs of each faction, then it is a personal choice to follow that path and perform those steps. To the topic at hand, they are not required to get geared and run 5 man heroic dungeons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    Aren't dailies still required if you want to be able to acquire rewards from Wrathion? Like the legendary gem, head enchant and future legendary weapon?). For 5.0 quests you can just grind mogu mobs in Pandaria and do 5.0 raids but to me 5.1 dailies are the ones which you have to do if you want to have the rewards.
    Is that an appropriate metric to judge whether a returning player will need dailies? (honestly I can't remember if you actually have to do dailies to complete wrathions line...i do know you will need to be active in Krasarang and earn some VP, but I don't remember specific dailies for him) But seriously...should a returning player who wants to fool around in heroics and lfr and maybe eventually some pug raids concern themselves with being able to obtain the Legendary stuff? No.

Here is a bit of negative advice (lest I be accused of being a white knight blizzard brown noser etc etc)...5 man heroics (and 'Normal' lev 90 dungeons no longer exist) are incredibly easy and dumbed down (in my opinion even moreseo than wotlk). Some people love that, but I don', and I imagine that if I were solely or mostly interested in those I might be a little disappointed. There are also a bit less 5 mans than you may be used to. I think there are 9 maybe (including revamps of Scarlet Monastery and Scholo) though that number may be wrong.

One thing to consider is there are now Challenge modes of the Heroics, in which all gear is scaled DOWN to 463 (to prevent players overgearing), mob health and damage is turned up, and a timed component is added. It would likely be difficult to find teams for these depending on your realm and you may be perceived as a poor player because you won't have a ton of gear, BUT it would be possible to jump into these with 463-47something ilvl and contribute as gear is scaled down.
    Last edited by shokter; 2013-04-01 at 09:29 PM.
    "Brevity is...wit"